Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Activision turning vicarious visions from independent team to blizzard support

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status...03336043130880

You brought back Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawks pro skater successfully? nice work. Now act as one more pillar to support blizzards flabby, impotent bulk as they coast down the stream of mediocrity and a pittance of releases for another decade!

Talk about a bum reward for hard work. You know the best case scenario is they are being brought on after their destiny 2 work to salvage the rotting hulk of Overwatch 2 thats been memory holed in dev hell. What a sad end to their independent development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Talk about a bum reward for hard work.
    Getting paid sure sucks.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Where Activision is concerned just expect endless disappointment.

You know the best case scenario is they are being brought on after their destiny 2 work to salvage the rotting hulk of Overwatch 2 thats been memory holed in dev hell.
    I mean, I'm glad if a lot of them move to work on OW2 given the work they did on Destiny 2 (IIRC they did the PC port and the Mars DLC, in addition to some support work?), but "memory holed"?

I mean, Blizzard were extremely open about the fact that OW2 was years away from release when they announced it. And covid has thrown delays at almost every single project currently in development, which would include OW2.

Why are you always seemingly so thirsty for internet gaming drama?

You brought back Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawks pro skater successfully? nice work. Now act as one more pillar to support blizzards flabby, impotent bulk as they coast down the stream of mediocrity and a pittance of releases for another decade!

Talk about a bum reward for hard work. You know the best case scenario is they are being brought on after their destiny 2 work to salvage the rotting hulk of Overwatch 2 thats been memory holed in dev hell. What a sad end to their independent development.
    If there is one visual representation of this, its this clip:

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Getting paid sure sucks.
    Not all people want to work soulless factory jobs for Money. Being forced into a machine that churns out whatever the boss tells it too is shitty. I hate this mentality that life and work is all about money money money and never about any fulfilment, It's the North American mindset that needs to die.

Hmm, current fastest selling PC game is Shadowlands. Before the that the title was held by Diablo 3. Both Blizzard games.

But damn I guess Blizzard only releases mediocre shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Hmm, current fastest selling PC game is Shadowlands. Before the that the title was held by Diablo 3. Both Blizzard games.

transformers movie franchise made a trucks load of money as well...

10+ Year Old Account

They were a port/remake machine that Activision told what to make. They have made very few projects on their own and have created 0 new IP in their 25 years in business. Either they're joining Blizzard to remake Diablo 2 or something, which is essentially what they were doing at this point. Or they are now working on Blizzard's games where their members now have creative input on the projects they work on.

This is not a bad deal for VV at all, saying otherwise is just being ignorant of their previous works and skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    transformers movie franchise made a trucks load of money as well...
    Yeah well and so did most of the MCU movies. Don't see them getting any amazing rewards or achieving milestones though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They were a port/remake machine that Activision told what to make. They have made very few projects on their own and have created 0 new IP in their 25 years in business. Either they're joining Blizzard to remake Diablo 2 or something, which is essentially what they were doing at this point. Or they are now working on Blizzard's games where their members now have creative input on the projects they work on.

This is not a bad deal for VV at all, saying otherwise is just being ignorant of their previous works and skillset.
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...66999823314949

Here's what they've been doing apparently.

I'm not sure what the source of this is, but it paints the matter even far more terrible light.

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I'm not sure what the source of this is, but it paints the matter even far more terrible light.
    Thought your quote was total crap.....googled it and it actually comes bloomberg itself. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sic-games-team

I liked their Crash and THPS remasters which where above and beyond. At the same time working on OW/Diablo and other blizzard projects is going to do a hell of a lot more for all those devs resumes then remaking some ancient games you didn't design yourself. If you think those devs are being punished or don't like this you seem a tad clueless on the industry no offense. This is a promotion, not a demotion.

Activision turned Toys for Bob from a small project house into a studio that makes new original games, they turned VV into an extra arm of blizzard. They will find another small studio capable of doing their small project remakes/remasters and eventually turn them into something bigger to. This is not the drama you expected it to be. This may surprise you but just like you had no idea who VV was prior to them remaking Crash you probably have no clue that Activision own tons of studios. Beenox, Demonware, High Moon, Raven... So don't be shocked when one of them ends up remaking your nostalgia and later moves on to bigger projects.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-01-23 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I liked their Crash and THPS remasters which where above and beyond. At the same time working on OW/Diablo and other blizzard projects is going to do a hell of a lot more for all those devs resumes then remaking some ancient games you didn't design yourself. If you think those devs are being punished or don't like this you seem a tad clueless on the industry no offense. This is a promotion, not a demotion.

Activision turned Toys for Bob from a small project house into a studio that makes new original games, they turned VV into an extra arm of blizzard. They will find another small studio capable of doing their small project remakes/remasters and eventually turn them into something bigger to. This is not the drama you expected it to be. This may surprise you but just like you had no idea who VV was prior to them remaking Crash you probably have no clue that Activision own tons of studios. Beenox, Demonware, High Moon, Raven... So don't be shocked when one of them ends up remaking your nostalgia and later moves on to bigger projects.
    The drama is in treatment of Blizzard's internal studio this one was brought in to basically replace.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Does that mean that Warcraft 3: Refunded was so bad that it killed Tony Hawk franchise?

I played Shadowlands 3 days, then I went back to play fun games. Quantity really says nothing about quality.

10+ Year Old Account

no it's not, it was surpassed within days of launch by another well known game title.

if the past 10 years is anything to go by, then yes, they have released mediocre shit on top of mediocre shit and been called out for it at every turn to the point they spent an entire WoW expansion inventing new ways to fuck the game over every major patch cycle, by releasing a new system layered on top an old broken system to try and fix that old system while breaking other stuff alongside it, it's pretty spectacular honestly how people can keep their jobs after screwing up that badly time and time again, and while it's obvious i'm referencing BFA here, you could literally copy/paste that over WoD and it would still make sense, or MoP at the start, legion was a bright spark in a sea of dark shit, but ultimately did nothing much to dissuade people that they were creatively bankrupt and relying on past reputation to keep them going (which has proven the case now several years running).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Does that mean that Warcraft 3: Refunded was so bad that it killed Tony Hawk franchise?
    /facepalm VV does not make original games. They made the Crash trilogy. Guess who made Crash 4? Toys for Bob. If Tony Hawk is going to continue it wouldn't continue under VV anyways.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Uhhh, considering Cyberpunk 2077 sold 8 million copies in pre-order on PC...

X - Doubt

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Getting paid sure sucks.
    Sometimes getting paid by criminals is not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Uhhh, considering Cyberpunk 2077 sold 8 million copies in pre-order on PC...

X - Doubt
    Diablo 3 hit 30 million on PC fyi.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal