Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    I haven't seen much opposition to female developers in games at all. The opposition to female developers who are bad at their jobs and appear to only be in those positions because of their gender? Different story, idk if you consider that misogyny.

    Or like the last of us 2 being shit, is it misogynistic to say that?
    There are plenty of people who are on Christie Golden simply because of Anduin. Kathleen Kennedy gets all of the blame for everything wrong with Star Wars and being executive producer, while also being EP on The Mandalorian, as well as having played significant roles for the original trilogy. Some of the criticisms these women get simply come from them being women and how they shoe horn feminine men into their franchises, or Mary Sues. Keep in mind, I don’t really feel one way or the other about Golden, while I do think Kennedy has made bad decisions in the Star Wars franchise; however, she has also made good ones as well.
    The Last of Us 2 being shit is a judgement call. Whether or not it’s misogynist is due to why you’re stating it’s shit. If it’s because you don’t like how it turned out and didn’t like the story, then no. If it’s because you didn’t like the story because it focused on 2 females, then there’s a pretty big possibility it’s for misogynistic reasons.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    no, that is EXACTLY what you said
    In what part of what you quoted me did I mention forcing anything? You even reposted the quote and there is nothing in there about a forced issue. I stated “female characters having a more prominent and diverse role.” That’s not forcing if it’s done in a natural way involving good storytelling. You jumped into concluding that to do what I mentioned it would be forcing it, implying that it has no place in the game. This is a clear cut view of misogyny.

  2. #42
    They had a hand in making the best Destiny 2 expansion(s) so I can only see this as being a good thing for Blizzard. God knows they need the talent.

  3. #43
    Elemental Lord Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaedis View Post
    Realistically, this says to me more than anything that Activision is probably wanting to pivot more into the console market for Blizzard franchises. Overwatch is an obvious option. Heroes of the Storm could almost certainly work on a console. Diablo 3 already exists on consoles, so Diablo 4 being released on them is probably already in the pipe. Starcraft is probably a hard no after the fiasco of Starcraft 64, but people have been arguing for years that one of the reasons behind the "dumbing down" of classes in WoW is to make it feasible to play with a controller, and Blizzard has now added first-party support for controllers in WoW. Consoles seem a rather obvious next step.
    Well, Overwatch is already on all the consoles. Diablo IV I believe is also being built ground up as a multiplatform title.

    They are hiring for unannounced projects, though, and Overwatch 2 is probably going to need all hands on deck to make a 2021 release date so those are still my best guesses.

    Also, for people claiming WoW needs to be "dumbed down" for console, you only need to point at FFXIV, which has more complex rotations than WoW. I still don't see WoW coming to consoles, though, because it's a huge effort to port that much content and probably won't pick up a ton of users. It can run on pretty low spec rigs as it is, the barrier for entry is basically "own a computer connected to the internet." If people want to play WoW, they're already playing it.

  4. #44
    Elemental Lord GreenJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    8,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Why bring what up? Her background as a developer since she’s getting put into a very pivotal role for development? The fact that the article discusses her want to make more diverse and inclusive games for players is going to set off the “man’s man” players that lurk on these forums isn’t a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Some people will read the article (possibly) and then use that as a reason to attack her while bringing up topics like “Mary Sue golden boy Anduin,” and Christie Golden issues.
    So no, I’m not starting something, I’m beating it to the punch stating I can’t wait to see the very obvious posts that will be coming that I can laugh at.
    So far you are the only one complaining about it. Projecting much?

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    In what part of what you quoted me did I mention forcing anything? You even reposted the quote and there is nothing in there about a forced issue. I stated “female characters having a more prominent and diverse role.” That’s not forcing if it’s done in a natural way involving good storytelling. You jumped into concluding that to do what I mentioned it would be forcing it, implying that it has no place in the game. This is a clear cut view of misogyny.
    I think the presumption being operated on in comments like that is that female characters would be included already if they were a "natural" part of the storyline, and thus any attempts to include more must inherently be "unnatural". That of course completely ignores the fact that the plot roles of many characters are not particular dependent on their gender, so swapping some to women doesn't necessarily come at the cost of plot. Same deal with other diversity initiatives.

    I know I personally get annoyed a bit when a character is obviously shoehorned into the plot simply for the sake of diversity, but there are so many examples of brilliant additions of diversity to plotlines and characters that either have no real impact on the plot, or in fact enhance it a bit. I've yet to see any evidence that Jennifer Oneal is more inclined towards the former than the latter, to presuming she'll be trying to "force" female characters in where they don't make sense and come at the cost of plot is rather presumptuous.
    Even Angels must kill from time to time...

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    There are plenty of people who are on Christie Golden simply because of Anduin. Kathleen Kennedy gets all of the blame for everything wrong with Star Wars and being executive producer, while also being EP on The Mandalorian, as well as having played significant roles for the original trilogy. Some of the criticisms these women get simply come from them being women and how they shoe horn feminine men into their franchises, or Mary Sues. Keep in mind, I don’t really feel one way or the other about Golden, while I do think Kennedy has made bad decisions in the Star Wars franchise; however, she has also made good ones as well.
    The Last of Us 2 being shit is a judgement call. Whether or not it’s misogynist is due to why you’re stating it’s shit. If it’s because you don’t like how it turned out and didn’t like the story, then no. If it’s because you didn’t like the story because it focused on 2 females, then there’s a pretty big possibility it’s for misogynistic reasons.

    - - - Updated - - -



    In what part of what you quoted me did I mention forcing anything? You even reposted the quote and there is nothing in there about a forced issue. I stated “female characters having a more prominent and diverse role.” That’s not forcing if it’s done in a natural way involving good storytelling. You jumped into concluding that to do what I mentioned it would be forcing it, implying that it has no place in the game. This is a clear cut view of misogyny.


    Can I ask why this thread suddenly got turned into a sexist thread?? And for what damn reason why did any of this come up?? Gotta love when people turn some things into stuff that is about women and gay people when the thread is about neither of those topics.
    People on this thread only get pissed at you when you don't agree with them...FACT

  7. #47
    Mechagnome Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    There are plenty of people who are on Christie Golden simply because of Anduin. Kathleen Kennedy gets all of the blame for everything wrong with Star Wars and being executive producer, while also being EP on The Mandalorian, as well as having played significant roles for the original trilogy. Some of the criticisms these women get simply come from them being women and how they shoe horn feminine men into their franchises, or Mary Sues. Keep in mind, I don’t really feel one way or the other about Golden, while I do think Kennedy has made bad decisions in the Star Wars franchise; however, she has also made good ones as well.
    The Last of Us 2 being shit is a judgement call. Whether or not it’s misogynist is due to why you’re stating it’s shit. If it’s because you don’t like how it turned out and didn’t like the story, then no. If it’s because you didn’t like the story because it focused on 2 females, then there’s a pretty big possibility it’s for misogynistic reasons.

    - - - Updated - - -



    In what part of what you quoted me did I mention forcing anything? You even reposted the quote and there is nothing in there about a forced issue. I stated “female characters having a more prominent and diverse role.” That’s not forcing if it’s done in a natural way involving good storytelling. You jumped into concluding that to do what I mentioned it would be forcing it, implying that it has no place in the game. This is a clear cut view of misogyny.
    The reason people are reacting negatively about your original reply is because you brought up misogyny in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with it. You are the one who diverted attention towards that topic, so whether or not you're correct from a moral perspective is a moot point. It's like running into the woods and poking a murder hornet nest. Sure, you're a good boy for fucking with the murder hornets, but nobody asked you to and now you'll get stung by a bunch of angry insects.

    Furthermore, you'll get this thread closed for no better reason than touting that you're virtuous and will mock the misogynists when they show themselves. I would just quit this argument while you're ahead, for the sake of yourself and the thread!
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2021-01-22 at 10:53 PM.
    Check out the Drakonaar, my playable race concept! (WIP -- Looking for artists)


  8. #48
    Merely a Setback Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I commute between Sweden and Crown Falls.
    Posts
    27,944
    Oh no! I see that the sky is once again falling according to MMO-C posters!!

    Anyway. I'm sure this is about that Diablo 2 rumor.
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚ ゚・⭑
    Never underestimate the speed at which the MMO-C gamerboys will jump into defense of sexual miscreants. Womyn are meanies...

  9. #49
    I could see them remastering Diablo 2 to tide people over while Diablo 4 is being developed. Honestly, this is good for Blizzard, I just question why Vicarious Visions was merged when they seemed to be outputting pretty successful projects as of late. Maybe just for more consolidation in Activision Blizzard overall?

  10. #50
    Khadgar Pro Skater inc

  11. #51
    I actually recall a supposed leak from last year that VV was working on a D2 remaster.
    At the time it seemed very out of their wheelhouse and unlikely, but this certainly lends credence to it.

    I guess we'll find out at Blizzconline in a month.

    In any case I've certainly been very satisfied with the Crash Bandicoot remakes and I hear good things about the Tony Hawk remakes as well, so I have confidence that VV would be able to carry out a D2 remake better than whatever team did the W3:Reforged release.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2021-01-22 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  12. #52
    Prince Arthas Menethil’s Pro Skater

  13. #53
    Stood in the Fire Sanstos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    384
    Well I hope the people there are able to live comfortably after the merger...

    Sadly, Activision and Blizzard touching anything turns to shit. Kinda like Midas touch turns to gold? But this is just straight poop.

    Nothing to see here but a company that will go under after its sucked from its resources by Activision/Blizzard.

  14. #54
    Heroes of the Stormlanders incoming.

  15. #55
    Elemental Lord Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Well I hope the people there are able to live comfortably after the merger...

    Sadly, Activision and Blizzard touching anything turns to shit. Kinda like Midas touch turns to gold? But this is just straight poop.

    Nothing to see here but a company that will go under after its sucked from its resources by Activision/Blizzard.
    Activision has owned Vicarious Visions for a long ass time and relegated them to ports and remakes. Either their working on Blizzard remakes or their going to support Blizzard's existing projects.

    This is in no way a bad thing for Blizzard or the VV devs. Either their going to keep doing what they were doing or they'll have more creative input on a project that isn't a remake/port.

  16. #56
    https://www.inverse.com/gaming/diabl...remaster-leaks

    Just for people who might have not have made the connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So far you are the only one complaining about it. Projecting much?
    Haven’t complained about anything. Go find one complaint I made.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaedis View Post
    I think the presumption being operated on in comments like that is that female characters would be included already if they were a "natural" part of the storyline, and thus any attempts to include more must inherently be "unnatural". That of course completely ignores the fact that the plot roles of many characters are not particular dependent on their gender, so swapping some to women doesn't necessarily come at the cost of plot. Same deal with other diversity initiatives.

    I know I personally get annoyed a bit when a character is obviously shoehorned into the plot simply for the sake of diversity, but there are so many examples of brilliant additions of diversity to plotlines and characters that either have no real impact on the plot, or in fact enhance it a bit. I've yet to see any evidence that Jennifer Oneal is more inclined towards the former than the latter, to presuming she'll be trying to "force" female characters in where they don't make sense and come at the cost of plot is rather presumptuous.
    Which is pretty much what I’ve been stating. I never once stated that she will force characters in. I did make a statement that there’s a possibility that new ones will be added or maybe we will start getting more diverse backgrounds on existing ones. People then came out of nowhere to state that made it seem that I was okay with new additions being forced in. I even stated in one of my posts that new characters and/or more prominent backstories on existing ones is not a bad thing when done well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    Can I ask why this thread suddenly got turned into a sexist thread?? And for what damn reason why did any of this come up?? Gotta love when people turn some things into stuff that is about women and gay people when the thread is about neither of those topics.
    Because apparently when I linked an article about who Jen O’Neal is and I just wanted to beat everyone to the punch of misogyny that would come up due to the article stating that she fights for inclusivity in and out of games. So far, I haven’t been let down as my words have already been twisted around by some people.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    The reason people are reacting negatively about your original reply is because you brought up misogyny in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with it. You are the one who diverted attention towards that topic, so whether or not you're correct from a moral perspective is a moot point. It's like running into the woods and poking a murder hornet nest. Sure, you're a good boy for fucking with the murder hornets, but nobody asked you to and now you'll get stung by a bunch of angry insects.

    Furthermore, you'll get this thread closed for no better reason than touting that you're virtuous and will mock the misogynists when they show themselves. I would just quit this argument while you're ahead, for the sake of yourself and the thread!
    So far I have not touted how I am virtuous, not have I mocked misogynists. I have pointed out 1 who behaved in a passive aggressive manner and attempted to twist my words around.
    I simply attempted to beat others to the punch in addressing what the article was about while trying to link something to show who she is. When I state I will laugh at the people who will cry about her it is simply to show the issue that will inevitably come up and just my attempt to bring it up early. Other people proving my point is not on me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paetolus View Post
    I could see them remastering Diablo 2 to tide people over while Diablo 4 is being developed. Honestly, this is good for Blizzard, I just question why Vicarious Visions was merged when they seemed to be outputting pretty successful projects as of late. Maybe just for more consolidation in Activision Blizzard overall?
    A D2 remake could be awesome. Had some of the best classes with the Druid and Assassin. Would be great if they added onto it and allowed the choice between male and female with some new designs on the classes.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Haven’t complained about anything. Go find one complaint I made.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Which is pretty much what I’ve been stating. I never once stated that she will force characters in. I did make a statement that there’s a possibility that new ones will be added or maybe we will start getting more diverse backgrounds on existing ones. People then came out of nowhere to state that made it seem that I was okay with new additions being forced in. I even stated in one of my posts that new characters and/or more prominent backstories on existing ones is not a bad thing when done well.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because apparently when I linked an article about who Jen O’Neal is and I just wanted to beat everyone to the punch of misogyny that would come up due to the article stating that she fights for inclusivity in and out of games. So far, I haven’t been let down as my words have already been twisted around by some people.

    - - - Updated - - -



    So far I have not touted how I am virtuous, not have I mocked misogynists. I have pointed out 1 who behaved in a passive aggressive manner and attempted to twist my words around.
    I simply attempted to beat others to the punch in addressing what the article was about while trying to link something to show who she is. When I state I will laugh at the people who will cry about her it is simply to show the issue that will inevitably come up and just my attempt to bring it up early. Other people proving my point is not on me.

    - - - Updated - - -



    A D2 remake could be awesome. Had some of the best classes with the Druid and Assassin. Would be great if they added onto it and allowed the choice between male and female with some new designs on the classes.
    The biggest thing you missed about this is the actual company and what it does. Making assumptions pretty much gave out that you have absolutely no idea what VV has actually done and you just saw name of female and started your google hunt.

  19. #59
    Mechagnome Ladey Gags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    teh haus of gags
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaedis View Post
    I think the presumption being operated on in comments like that is that female characters would be included already if they were a "natural" part of the storyline, and thus any attempts to include more must inherently be "unnatural". That of course completely ignores the fact that the plot roles of many characters are not particular dependent on their gender, so swapping some to women doesn't necessarily come at the cost of plot. Same deal with other diversity initiatives.

    I know I personally get annoyed a bit when a character is obviously shoehorned into the plot simply for the sake of diversity, but there are so many examples of brilliant additions of diversity to plotlines and characters that either have no real impact on the plot, or in fact enhance it a bit. I've yet to see any evidence that Jennifer Oneal is more inclined towards the former than the latter, to presuming she'll be trying to "force" female characters in where they don't make sense and come at the cost of plot is rather presumptuous.
    Diversity is a lie that has never contributed to the success of any product or corporation. It’s quite literally a show put on for young naive children with self esteem issues.
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-01-22 at 11:58 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    Can I ask why this thread suddenly got turned into a sexist thread?? And for what damn reason why did any of this come up?? Gotta love when people turn some things into stuff that is about women and gay people when the thread is about neither of those topics.
    I wonder if you're as quick to stand up and call out sexism for guys when women rave and complain about all things wrong with men?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •