Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

We've gotten too powerful

I've really liked Shadowlands, but our power is so out of control that the real-life equivalent would be having Vladimir Putin as our plumber.

Over the last 15 years we've stabberized every archvillain, deity, and archvillain-pantheon-of-demigod-deities, then gone back in time (Caverns AND Warlords) for repeats, then traveled to the realm of death itself just to rub it in one more time.

Our characters either need to die or ascend to godhood or something so we can start back out as something reasonable.

(And if possible I'd really like to keep this in general chat because it's not about the minutiae of lore details but the general idea that power creep has made the storyline unbelievable with our arch-god status with demi-gods as our minions.)
    Last edited by garicasha; 2021-01-23 at 09:05 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gods in the WoW universe aren't really gods in the everyday religious sense. They can be killed, absorbed, drained, and as much as they like to call us "mortals", they are not eternal at all.

I agree that we could crank it down a bit, but I don't think Blizzard is able to steer away from the "impossible odds" formula. Take BfA for example. The premise was pretty simple, gather allies in an unknown land in the HvA conflict. Fast forward about two years and, from that same premise, we stopped Azshara and killed N'zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    I've really liked Shadowlands, but our power is so out of control that the real-life equivalent would be having Vladimir Putin as our plumber.

Over the last 15 years we've stabberized every archvillain, deity, and archvillain-pantheon-of-demigod-deities, then gone back in time (Caverns AND Warlords) for repeats, then traveled to the realm of death itself just to rub it in one more time.

Our characters either need to die or ascend to godhood or something so we can start back out as something reasonable.

(And if possible I'd really like to keep this in general chat because it's not about the minutiae of lore details but the general idea that power creep has made the storyline unbelievable with our arch-god status with demi-gods as our minions.)
    So question, how would you have a game where your charecter goes through 15 years of killing enemies, without becoming famous, and without players complaining and crying that their accomplishments are not being appreciated?
    Reminder even now people still complain "i just fucking killed a god, and now bats are giving me a hard time wtf!? and dude asks me to get him some grapes, boi i killed a god, get em yourself!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I mean, if that's the case it became unbelievable in Vanilla when we killed C'thun, literal demi-god.

The fact is, demi-gods aren't unkillable in the Warcraft universe, and we've always been capable of killing them.
    Exactly this, we killed Ragnaros as our first ever boss, a demi-god there too

The only thing they need to wind back, in purely my own opinion, is all this Champion stuff - we were part of an army that killed bosses originally, we need to be one of a team of adventurers rather than Head of <insert> (e.g. highlords)

Speak for yourself, I play an Upwelling based Mistweaver!

3+ Year Old Account
    I think if WoW ever ends, our characters should become a diety somehow, and watch over their respective race/faction. Would be a fitting end imo

Or, we end up travelling back in time all the way to where we started in Vanilla/Classic, like a bookend sort of thing
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

We are like... universal handymen.

You got a problem? Perhaps old god infestation? Or maybe some extra dimensional villain is trying to take over the world? Maybe your wife disapeared? Maybe you need some boar skins? Maybe you need a dress for your wedding? Maybe an evil overlord is destroying your city? You need to go to dentist?

Anything!

We can do it for you!

The only expansion we got anything close to god-level, let alone arch-god as you so hyperbolically stated was in Legion. We got nerfed once going from there to BFA losing our artifacts then again going into Shadowlands losing our Heart, essences, and azerite gear. Realistically speaking we're the weakest we've been since before we got our artifacts.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Well we aren't soloing these "gods" so I really don't see the problem, I like my characters being recognized as someone that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I've fallen off a cliff and died while in the Shadowlands.

Apparently I am not that powerful.

Yet it takes 10-25 of us to kill the most powerful foes each expansion?
    I'm a thread killer.

hasn't it already kind of been hinted that the players aren't ACTUALLY mortal?

That aside, I mean yea we are basically just in an alternate DBZ universe, but I get the sense most of us still play the game because we have this hero complex that we just can't have met in our real lives so we [not-so] secretly love it.

whenever we face something really huge like Kil'jaeden, Argus or N'Zoth we are usually aided by some other powerful party. it's not like we just went up to Argus and just waved him away. We got aided by the Pantheon, weilding Azeroth's most powerful weapons and still almost got wiped out. With Azshara we had to manipulate the titan machinery to stand a chance and with N'zoth we had the Heart of Azeroth and Magin's deus ex machina beam.

The last "big" enemy we fought without any help from the outside was... maybe Archimonde in WoD? But even there Archimonde, Yrel and Grommash helped us out.

am I the only one who don't think raids are representative of what actually happens? I see it as armies, which we are leading because we are champions, tackling whatever threat there is.
    It's not 20 or 10 dudes waltzing in to lay some smackdown on whatever threat we face. That's just for gameplay reasons. Didn't they confirm during WotLK that the raid on ICC was actually thousands of soldiers and what not fighting? We aren't as powerful as X god or entity, but as a force with our factions behind us helping us we lead the charge to victory.

Salute to all the unknown soldiers giving their lives so we can take the glory
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Ast1982 View Post
    Exactly this, we killed Ragnaros as our first ever boss, a demi-god there too

The only thing they need to wind back, in purely my own opinion, is all this Champion stuff - we were part of an army that killed bosses originally, we need to be one of a team of adventurers rather than Head of <insert> (e.g. highlords)
    i'm in the group of people sick to death of hearing "champion" "hero" "savior" in video games. I get it's a placeholder for the playername but it's so tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    i'm in the group of people sick to death of hearing "champion" "hero" "savior" in video games. I get it's a placeholder for the playername but it's so tired.
    What should they use?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    So question, how would you have a game where your charecter goes through 15 years of killing enemies, without becoming famous, and without players complaining and crying that their accomplishments are not being appreciated?
    Reminder even now people still complain "i just fucking killed a god, and now bats are giving me a hard time wtf!? and dude asks me to get him some grapes, boi i killed a god, get em yourself!"
    People have a hard time separating gameplay element from story elements. There has to be a gameplay loop that supersedes the story, otherwise after taking out C'thun 15-16 years ago, there is no reason to do menial tasks anymore. Talk about a boring game if that were the case.

There was also a time when players bitched to no end that the player never got credited for what we did. It was just a bunch if adventurers aided by big lore names who got all the credit. Now we have been shown to grow as player characters over the years and are credited for our efforts and people want to go back to being lowly adventurers. It just doesn't work that way.

Anyone see ding 15+ years in the public doing good deeds, saving people, countries, and the planet whenever they ate in danger would be considered famous heroes and be given similar accolades we get in game. We are literally super heroes as a direct result of our deeds.

People just can't ignore that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    What should they use?
    I see my name scrawled in chat all the time. It's just the voice lines that say hero, champion, and etc..

But it's fine. Just another glaring example of bitching just to bitch.

It's just a game at the end of the day, a video game, and a pretty old one at that. I think you're looking too far into it.

Obviously things like this were bound to eventually happen given the age of the game. WoW thriving in 2021 when it was released in 2004 is an incredible achievement.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    I've fallen off a cliff and died while in the Shadowlands.

Apparently I am not that powerful.
    Gameplay element. Technically a non canonical. Just like resurrections, they don't really happen in lore. But that would make for a shitty game if MMOs were hardcore.

10+ Year Old Account
    That only makes sense if you ignore the fact that no one hero has done any of that, you always have the help of other gods/extraordinary external forces/entire armies.