Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Dont care about rest of thread but evidence please. I havent seen any official formula for the metric at blizz and there is no standard across companies for it either. Other companies have mau as a formula for user activity and not just login.
    MAU literally means "monthly active user," if a player logs in during a month they count as a monthly active user. In essence for WoW it basically equates to a subscriber but as Blizz have several games offering several services the term "monthly active user" is a better metric for investors which is why they use it on the quarterly investor calls. BTW the purpose of those is to give information to people who have or are considering investing in the company, it isn't for flexing or PR.

    If some sort of formula is being used other than "number of active users in a month" the companies you are talking about are probably talking about "engagement" which relates to how engaged people are with the game.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    Paid carries are nothing new, whether they're carries for gear, carries for progression/achievements, or just carries for mounts. I bought a M Archimonde carry years ago for the mount once I saw my guild was not going to get to the boss, and I remember literally every guild selling both H and M SoO carries for Garrosh for the mount.

    The only real change I've seen is the amount of advertising and the creation of boosting communities. Both of these things are related, and the fact that boosting communities will pay referral fees to advertisers is the biggest part of it. All those people you see advertising all day long in trade chat won't be involved in any carries most of the time. They're just hoping to make 10k or 15k by spamming a macro and getting someone to go buy a carry.

    Blizzard needs to do more to remove the sales from group finder. That said I have no problem with it in trade chat. That's literally what the channel is for - trade. Plus its better than nonstop anal jokes, memeing, anti-Semitism, and politics. Its annoying, sure, but that's where it belongs.

    When I played on a packed server the addon "Badboy" saved my day. I now am back on my old, low-pop server and there is 1 line of spam per week only. But yes, group finder tool still has a lot of those boost sellers listed.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    https://www.investopedia.com/activis...%20two%20users.

    MAU corresponds to the number of individuals who accessed one of the company's games during a given month. That means that a single individual that accesses two different games in a single month is counted as two users.

    It appears that the login is what is counted for the MAU, not the amount of time played.
    Thanks a lot, must have missed or forgotten it, i did read the news back then. Also the next sentence is a funny "Also, for some of the company's brands, a user who accesses the same game via different platforms or devices would also be counted as two users." Looks like mobile app doubles maus. Doubt many use it though so wont change much.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    If some sort of formula is being used other than "number of active users in a month" the companies you are talking about are probably talking about "engagement" which relates to how engaged people are with the game.
    Its the definition of whats active that varies. Just login isnt enough with some. Twitter for example doesnt count you active if you dont have enough follows.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Its the definition of whats active that varies. Just login isnt enough with some. Twitter for example doesnt count you active if you dont have enough follows.
    Social media apps have people constantly logged in, especially with mobile apps and integration with other sites. Video games are different as for the vast majority of people accessing the game requires some sort of positive activity, i.e. loading the game and logging in. Gaming companies use other metrics to measure engagement such as duration and often they can look deeper to see what exactly players are doing and how often, this cna be important for them to compare to the raw MAU information to see what features are successful and the levels of churn among the player-base.

    TL~DR video games and social media platforms are different.

  5. #45
    I know that paid carries are a thing since the beginning of WoW but the past few years the carries are everywhere. I strongly believe that a cooldown needs to be implemented on the WoW token to even things out, because, lets face it, seeing it go is not feasible.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It was considered cheating back then. Big difference.
    LOL carries where never considered CHEATING cause the def of cheating is clearing something else....

  7. #47
    Immortal Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    LOL carries where never considered CHEATING cause the def of cheating is clearing something else....
    Buying or selling carries was a bannable offense, exactly like botting or teleport hacks - precisely because it was considered another form of cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.

  8. #48
    WoW has been officially P2W since WoD or whenever it was that tokens were introduced. If you have a problem with the new business model just unsub and play something else. I don't get why you need to write this wall of text like it isn't obvious already that Blizzard kowtowing to evil communists isn't proof enough of their moral cowardice and profit-above-ethics direction.

    The people still defending blizzard are a lost cause, you will never be able to convince them. For a lot of consoomers their affiliation to certain corporate products is like a religion.

  9. #49
    And this is why I am now totally casual when I used to be "Hardcore" (raiding 4 to 5 nights per week, 3 to 4 hours at a time, to push heroics and mythics, skipping meals, neglecting fuck buddies, neglecting social life, etc).

    This game has become a new monster I don't enjoy as much as I used to. Now I just have a little casual guild who does the occasional key and levels alts/helps each other do quests and whatnot. Mounts I enjoy getting, but I'm not going to give myself an ulcer over them or go to all kinds of stressful trouble over them just to sit in Oribos AFK for random strangers to pause and look at for 5 seconds, and then go about their business like I'm 'somebody important', and gear appearances are passé to me now since I enjoy looking like a farmer without any 'gear' showing. I have mounts that nobody can get anymore, and titles that nobody else can earn anymore, none of which cost me 7 million gold to buy from a vendor.

    OP - some life advice from an ancient, wise, and powerful elder wyrm gamer - take a step back from it.
    Last edited by meowfurion; 2021-01-25 at 01:45 PM.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Dont care about rest of thread but evidence please. I havent seen any official formula for the metric at blizz and there is no standard across companies for it either. Other companies have mau as a formula for user activity and not just login.
    Monthly Active Users. It's in the name. If you log in during the month, you count, whether you play 100 hours or log right back out. Time played and engagement metrics are an entirely different beast.
    The most difficult thing for people to do is objectively look at something they don't like and be able to accept that it is not bad, that other people like it, and if it was changed to the way they'd like it that other people would not like it and want it changed back. The second most is to receive something they didn't want or ask for and be grateful for it, not immediately demand what they wanted instead.

  11. #51
    Back in Warlords of Draenor, there was an interview with one of the developers in regard to the Demonology spec for Warlocks in which the developer in question had stated that the reason for the neglect of the Demonology spec was because that they simply didn’t think people should be playing Demonology. This interview, combined with later interviews, gives us a picture that Blizzard routinely alienates and overpowers a rotation of specs to, as they say it, “force players to try new specs and new classes, giving them a more complete experience of what the game has to offer”. However, we have realized that this is a fluffy say of saying “To keep people playing more often”.
    I think that even specific separate game developers have their own credos and vision on process of development, and what are the main purposes of their dev work.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley13s View Post
    I think that even specific separate game developers have their own credos and vision on process of development, and what are the main purposes of their dev work.
    You already advertised your crap dating site, why are you still here?
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    1. The poster is right, its not hard to see that Shadowlands was an unfinished product.
    That is confirmation bias. They posted an opinion you agree with. Doesn't make your opinion fact. Doesn't make him or you right either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    2. He speaks more about specs that went from A or S tier to the gutter in one hotfix. To an extent, is cant expect to be fully viable or favored by groups if you play a crap spec like Demo lock or Surv hunter
    tinfiol hat conspiracies is not fact. He brings no evidence of Blizzard doing anything of that sort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    3. People sell gold through third party sites all the time. You're just flat out wrong here.
    They buy gold, not sell it. YOu are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    4. Thats like saying that anyone who advertises a good or service on Facebook should have to pay Facebook a royalty for using their platform.
    Facebook isn't a video game and you are not paying for access to their services either. Not remotely the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    5. Less conspiracy and more of a commonly taught business practice that increases throughput by using your clientele as your employees. Think Amazon, here.
    No, it is a conspiracy that is not rooted in fact. This is nothing but spam at this point.

  14. #54
    In this game your experience has always been defined by the role you choose. If you’re willing to tank or heal you will never struggle with finding groups and the real money thing hasn’t affected you. If you want to dps, you’ve always had to be a bit “extra” to get what you want - gear up fast, commit to a guild, always have consumables, maybe farm gold and buy boes, etc. The carry culture has just added a dimension to that where you can skip some of the “extra” by buying stuff.

    Personally I’m more annoyed by the raider.io meta, where I have trouble getting into keys I’ve already timed as a tank because my score is low due to other dungeons I’ve avoided.

  15. #55
    It's amazing how much I disagree with the OP. I wanted to reply to this thread but I'd have to quote every single word and debunk it separately and that's just too much work.

  16. #56
    this seems like conspiracy although i think boosting has become problematic in the game. im sure theres a way to to " legally" make money for example take your gold lets say you make tensof millions buy a bunch of ow or cod codes with wowtokens and sell those on those cheap code sites for a discounted price, i highly doubt something like that is as lucrative as just selling for real money but some of it has to be going on for carries to be this popular

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •