Poll: Do you personally like Odyn? Do you agree with his controversial choices?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you personally like Odyn? Do you agree with his controversial choices?

Odyn is a controversial character -- his actions against Helya, forcibly twisting her into a former version of herself (despite his helping him make his Val'kyr in the first place by tapping into the Shadowlands) made her an enemy of life, as well as an ally of other enemies into the future, and led to him and the Valarjar being imprisoned within the Halls of Valor for thousands of years, preventing them from fulfilling their duties as the protectors of Azeroth for many ages.

He was also the only keeper who refused to condone the blessing and empowerment of the Dragon Aspects -- he warned the others that they would eventually fail in their duties, and that only he, Odyn, was fit to defend the world they shared as Prime Designate, as the Pantheon had originally intended.

Do you agree with his choices? With his basic reasoning? Was he ultimately right or wrong? Did his choices and actions make Azeroth safer or not? Do you see him as a hero or an antagonist, or something in between?

"Like life, they shall be powerful. Like death, they shall be eternal." - Odyn
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-02-10 at 11:19 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

He was a total dick. Though I will be super disapointed if he doesn't show up in Bastion with his armies to defend/become a pawn the Shadowlands. He has been messing with the afterlife for a long time and has caused tons of problems for everyone.

If we look back on his garbage life its almost all his fault that the Jailer is even breaking free. If he had just done his job and stayed Prime Designate Yogg would have never broke free. Heyla would still be good. The elemental lords would have never been free from their plains she created. Mueh'zala and the Jailer got a front row seat to everything happening on Azeroth through his eye and led him to have contact with Heyla who then brought her into his plans. Odyn's eye is still with the Jailer and for all we know Odyn has been being influenced by the Jailer this whole time.
    Last edited by Felrane; 2021-02-10 at 05:35 AM.

His attitude of “I’m better than everybody and know better than anybody will ever know” always annoyed me. Pity he is able to be free of his prison now but he shouldn’t be allowed out. Who knows what he will do now.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is a asshole.

5+ Year Old Account
    He's one of the biggest a**holes in the entire game. As @Felrane put it, he has done a lot more harm than e.g. the Screeching Lady, and arguably even Arthas himself. But he seems to always get a free pass, for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    He's one of the biggest a**holes in the entire game. As @Felrane put it, he has done a lot more harm than even the Screeching Lady, and possibly even Arthas himself. But he seems to always get a free pass, for some reason.
    I have it in the back of my mind that we may have to put him down in the future....him being free doesn't sit right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    He was also the only keeper who refused to condone the blessing and empowerment of the Dragon Aspects -- he warned the others that they would eventually fail in their duties, and that only he, Odyn, was fit to defend the world they shared, as the Pantheon had originally intended.
    Considering that all the Aspects eventually turned evil I'd say Odyn was absolutely right in that decision.

Odyn is a pretty cool guy. Helya is an evil bitch like Sylvanas so what's the problem? How can anyone hate on Odyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Odyn is a pretty cool guy.
    Cool guys murder their comrades.

I don't know if it's intentional or not but he was right about pretty much every call in the long run. The Aspects all turned insane or useless and shattered the world in the process, twice and Helya was allied with Super Satan. He stopped people from going to the Afterlife by making his warrior cult and stealing vrykul souls for it, but the afterlife mostly sucks and if they didn't go to his Valhalla they might end up being abominations in a Scourge hellscape.

Mind, Helya ended up that way because he turned her into his slave so he could LARP his Viking fantasy and to be able to build said afterlife he got into a pact with Satan too, so make of that what you will.

He was a colossal asshole, but he also has a cool voice and visual design, so it mostly evens out. That and I do really like him as a character - if he weren't temperamental, petty and cruel as well as a patron of warriors and heroism he'd be a much more boring figure. He's a bad dude, but a good character and I hope he pops up again.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

He's such a parody of a character that it's entertaining.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that all the Aspects eventually turned evil I'd say Odyn was absolutely right in that decision.

Odyn is a pretty cool guy. Helya is an evil bitch like Sylvanas so what's the problem? How can anyone hate on Odyn?
    He twisted helya into the first valkyr against her wish.
    She has every reason to hate us and odyn tbh. In her eyes we are probably just pawns off odyn.

But the story didnt play like that in Legion, which is weird because it only showed us how sad it was that odyn was trapped and not even saying anything about why helya is like this etc etc.

I hope we get to help her eventually, seems more like the player and leader are unknowing of what realy happend.

I still think Vrykul/valarjar story and all that is pretty cool and he will show up eventually this expansion.. he has to be. I dont like the fact Odyn thinks he is the best, but it perfectly suits hes character.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-02-10 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    He twisted helya into the first valkyr against her wish.
    She has every reason to hate us and odyn tbh.

But the story didnt play like that in Legion, which is weird because it only showed us how sad it was that odyn was trapped and not even saying anything about why helya is like this etc etc.

I hope we get to help her eventually, seems more like the player and leader are unknowing of what realy happend.
    The version the Valarjar give you skips over how Helya was unwilling to become the first Val'kyr before Odyn forced it on her and only frames it as a story of her betrayal, but I'm fairly sure we at some point got her side of the story. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but it's not just in Chronicle. Especially around the time the Warrior PC has Ymiron enslaved in a similar way.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

I hope that one day we'll wipe the floor with the smug git

yes Helya's evil. now. it could be argued though that this is because of how Odyn treated her rather than a justification for it. if I punch somebody because I'm sure they'll later hurt me, when they punch me back (or have me arrested) that doesn't prove I was right

yes the Dragon Aspects failed in their duty. sometimes. but would Odyn have fared better in their places? would he have had all the successes the Aspects had? could he have avoided the few failures? I can point out all the worlds politicians who have failed in their responsibilities (and am happy to) but that doesn't mean I could do a better job or that nobody should do the job

also it's always bugged me how he 'tests' us. Halls of Valour we earn the Aegis, he gives it to us, Skovald tries to steal it... and then Odyn demands we beat him to earn what he already gave us. then he gets us to do his dirty work by dealing with Helya but we still have to prove 'worthy' again by beating him up... again. either he's a masochist using us to fulfil his kink, has a short memory or just loves being a dick (or all of the above)

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The version the Valarjar give you skips over how Helya was unwilling to become the first Val'kyr before Odyn forced it on her and only frames it as a story of her betrayal, but I'm fairly sure we at some point got her side of the story. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but it's not just in Chronicle. Especially around the time the Warrior PC has Ymiron enslaved in a similar way.
    Yes this is what I mean, I hope we do get to that story and show the player the truth. I hope its not going to be Odyn is corrupt kind of story. I think helya story is just very tragic. Odyn seems to get away with everything. I have a feeling hes eye will play a role in a future patch.

We players are just roaming the shadowlands now, while odyn can only just peak inside, he has to be angry about that right? I lost a fucking eye and the heroes are just having fun in the shadowlands.

Idk whats up with Ymirion, why did he go to the halls of Valar again?

Btw is Tyr officially gone and dead? Not up to date on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I hope that one day we'll wipe the floor with the smug git

yes Helya's evil. now. it could be argued though that this is because of how Odyn treated her rather than a justification for it.
    Idk if she truly is. I mean ofc she hates us, but that is all because of Odyn. I wonder if she finds out that Odyn never told the player about her true story.

I mean we are not pawns of Odyn.. we only though doing the right thing. Odyn is the real dick atm.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2021-02-10 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I still think Vrykul/valarjar story and all that is pretty cool and he will show up eventually this expansion.. he has to be. I dont like the fact Odyn thinks he is the best, but it perfectly suits hes character.
    I'm fairly confident that he and the Valarjar will show up in a next patch. Helya showed up right at the beginning in the Maw and he has to many tie-ins with Bastion and his eye (supposedly in possesion of the jailor).

Was Odyn played by the jailor?
    Is Odyn actually evil? (will he become a raidboss - I hope not!)
    Is Odyn a victim?

There are so many ways this could play out, I am very excited to see where Blizzard will take his story. Personally I hope for a redemption story for Helya and an that Odyn apologizes to her. I could imagine the leadership of Bastion being killed off, and Skyhold somehow merging into Bastion.

I like him. He's cool as fuck.

7+ Year Old Account
    He seemed kinda fishy to me in Legion, with this juvenile "fight for my amusement" behaviour. But hey, nothing came out if it, yet.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is not really a good guy, but that does not mean he is bad.

I love his character and pretty much all that he is He is a dick and have done terrible things, but he is a ruler and rulers often are like that. He has a huge ego and hubris, which makes him fun to watch and interact with.

Besides, his model is also quite badass, which is something WoW lacks, so won't complain in that area.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Alexstrasza hasn't turned evil. So no, not all Aspects have turned evil.

The only ones that willingly did were Deathwing (Old Gods promised to remove the 'curse' the titans put on him), Malygos (blamed mortals reckless use of magic on the worlds problems. Does kinda have a point though) and Nozdormu (tried to subvert his own death and to prevent the 'true end time' as he put it by trying to alter the past). Ysera turned evil against her will by being corrupted by the tainted Tears of Elune. Kalecgos hasn't turned evil yet, but he is also a former aspect. Along with Alexstrasza. In fact Nozdormu still hasn't reached the point where he becomes his villainous self. But I have a feeling it is coming soon.

3/5 with 1 of them having justifiable motives isn't all of them.

The other side to Odyns case against the Aspects was that he believed that titanforged were above corruption.........

Loken getting blackmailed by Yogg for killing Sif and allowing Yogg to control Hodir, Freya, Mimiron and later on Thorim goes against Odyns claims.
    Last edited by Volardelis; 2021-02-10 at 12:30 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    I'm fairly confident that he and the Valarjar will show up in a next patch. Helya showed up right at the beginning in the Maw and he has to many tie-ins with Bastion and his eye (supposedly in possesion of the jailor).

Was Odyn played by the jailor?
    Is Odyn actually evil? (will he become a raidboss - I hope not!)
    Is Odyn a victim?

There are so many ways this could play out, I am very excited to see where Blizzard will take his story. Personally I hope for a redemption story for Helya and an that Odyn apologizes to her. I could imagine the leadership of Bastion being killed off, and Skyhold somehow merging into Bastion.
    Yes I agree, its interesting to me how this will play out. Helya imo is actually worthy of a redemption story and it could play out real nice with bastion. That actually sounds awesome. Helya and Uther combi inc?