(TV) The Stand 2020

OK, so I'm in Englandshire and we're a couple of episodes behind.

Been looking forward to this for months, some big names on the cast list, so far (on episode 5 here) it seems a bit a damp squib. I know that book and TV are different media and sometimes don't translate well. The 1994 mini series did a pretty good job at telling the story, but this seems well, flat. The flashbacks are annoying and so far the characters don't seem to have enough time with them, except Harold -seriously the thing looks as though it was written by a Lauder fan.

Anyone watched it? Is it worth carrying on?

I wanted to watch this, but don’t want to get the CBS subscription to do so. It seemed interesting...
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

Mechagnome
    Well as its only 10 episodes (I think? maybe 12?) I'd tell you to keep going - since you're half-way through. It is just a mini-series so why not finish it?

But as a big King fan - I have to agree - the 1994 version was a much better telling of this story. If I wasn't already a big fan I honestly don't know if I'd still be watching this mini-series or not. It doesn't feel like the flashback-way they're telling the story gives any character enough time for any real investment or development - so that anything that happens 'matters' to the audience. But since I'm already a 'big fan' and have read The Stand more than once, I'm not really a good judge of whether this works for people who aren't already fans or who don't already know what's going on.

I'm really curious to hear from anyone who isn't already a King fan or who isn't already familiar to the story. I really wonder whether this show is working at all for a 'fresh' audience.

The 1994 version just feels like it did a better job with the story it was telling (or converting rather) and building up the characters into individuals the audience understood and could identify with. This version feels much more superficial - no real story or development into any one character at all before Captain Tripps hits (so you have no clue where any of them are coming from; their backgrounds - etc. in this one - again can't really identify with anyone because you barely know any of them) - and the back/forth of the timeline to tell the story - just disjoints it further.

And as much as I like some of the 'star' actors in this show - they are given nothing (as far as writing) to really sink acting teeth into and, if anything, some of the casting just seems so *off* from how perfect the original 1994 actors were. Specifically (or especially) Trashcan Man and Tom Cullen - the 1994 actors were *perfect* in those roles - embodied the King characters wonderfully in their mannerisms and how they were portrayed in the book. The actors in these two roles now are fine. But that's it. They work They are fine. But bring nothing special.

And even though I'm a huge King fan - I am not looking forward to his rewrite of the ending for this. He "redid" the Ending for this miniseries with his son, Owen (who is EP on the show too) and well - I just doubt the 'rewrite' is going to come off better than the original. Especially with how the rest of the show has felt 'flat'. Not even looking at history and the fact that usually when people go back and re-do their old stuff, it does NOT come out better the 2nd time. I may be a huge King fan, but the man is not perfect and he's written things I've just flat out not enjoyed at all (please stop doing aliens man lol) - so yea, I am just hoping whatever 'redid' ending he did isn't Lucas "the Force is now metachlorians" bad. The original ending wasn't 100% happy - doesn't need to be happy - so hopefully, they don't make it 100% happy.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Never read the book or seen the 1994 series, but this seems to be coming to an end soonish..? I mean, is that it? Seems very rushed.

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Never read the book or seen the 1994 series, but this seems to be coming to an end soonish..? I mean, is that it? Seems very rushed.
    Yea, my seriesguide ap says 9 episodes total and it IS a miniseries so I do believe that's it.

And yea, as I mentioned above - it is a superficial covering of a 1200+ page book. How a 9 episode miniseries manages to feel more superficial (and I think, yes, therefore a more "rushed" feeling as you put it) than the 6 hour 1994 miniseries (total run time minus commercials - So 4, 2 hour episodes) - I don't get. Other than (obviously) implying the original was better written and that no, the new way of telling the story (with the brief interspersed flashbacks) isn't working as well.

I'm curious Cyber - as you are not a "already knowing" viewer - are you enjoying the story (outside of it feeling rushed lol) and feel like you 'get' the characters (Or feel invested in any of them) or not so much? I know you have nothing to compare this to, just asking in general.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.