10+ Year Old Account

Covenant question

If you want to switch from e.g. Venthyr to Night Fae, you do a quest and then start to work on Night Fae.. So far, so good.

But will Night Fae be time gated (2-3 renown per week) or can you gain all renown (currently up to 32) in one sitting (if you can stomach it)?

Also, if you switch back to Venthyr (with another quest), will you start from renown 1 (and no rep) or do you get back, what you had before the switch?

Initially, I wanted to do covenants on different toons, but I can see now, that the commitment to get all mounts/pets/mogs on alts, it just not going to happen; thus I think switching covenants once I got all I need from one, is the correct way forward (for me).
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    If you want to switch from e.g. Venthyr to Night Fae, you do a quest and then start to work on Night Fae.. So far, so good.

But will Night Fae be time gated (2-3 renown per week) or can you gain all renown (currently up to 32) in one sitting (if you can stomach it)?

Also, if you switch back to Venthyr (with another quest), will you start from renown 1 (and no rep) or do you get back, what you had before the switch?

Initially, I wanted to do covenants on different toons, but I can see now, that the commitment to get all mounts/pets/mogs on alts, it just not going to happen; thus I think switching covenants once I got all I need from one, is the correct way forward (for me).
    I thought the belief was that you kept the renown but the choice process takes a week or so?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The catchup works the same as making a new character. My warlock hit 60 on wednesday and it's renown 24 now without much play yesterday. You get lots of renown from any kind of activity, heroic dungeons, LFR, callings, campaign quests. So it depends how much you play, if you play a lot you can catch up on renown probably within a week. If you're really casual then it might take several weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I thought the belief was that you kept the renown but the choice process takes a week or so?
    That one week process is only switching back to a previous covenant, after which you keep everything you had before; renown, followers, buildings etc.

You are not significantly gated on renown when switching to covenants. I managed to get up to around renown 20 in a single week when switching Kyrian --> Night Fae. This was back at the start of the year, and I believe the renown cap was around 22 at that time. I'm not sure if I hit some sort of throttling, but it's more likely that I simply ran out of time in that week to be able to earn more.

I haven't switched back, but I believe your original covenant retains its renown level, as well as anima in its reservoir.

It's just as when playing a new alt, you will make roughly ~7 (~3 from callings, 1 from world boss, ~3 from random activities like completing dungeons, bgs and raids) renown levels per id (additional to the guaranteed renowns from the campaign and quests).
    The randomness can be a bitch sometimes (one char got 7 random renowns in a single week, one other didn't even get 3), but considering the campaign gives a good deal of renown you will rather quickly be at mid 20, only then it gets slower. But you are looking at just a few weeks behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    The catchup works the same as making a new character. My warlock hit 60 on wednesday and it's renown 24 now without much play yesterday. You get lots of renown from any kind of activity, heroic dungeons, LFR, callings, campaign quests. So it depends how much you play, if you play a lot you can catch up on renown probably within a week. If you're really casual then it might take several weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

That one week process is only switching back to a previous covenant, after which you keep everything you had before; renown, followers, buildings etc.
    So basically, the only time-block right now, if renown 32, if you switch..... And none in 4 weeks time, were we'll be at 40 max?

And switching back puts you exactly where you left?
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2021-02-16 at 05:06 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    So basically, the only time-bæock right now, if renown 32, if you switch..... And none in 4 weeks time, were we'll be at 40 max?

And switching back puts you exactly where you left?
    I haven't switched back personally but from what I've heard from people who have your old covenant is exactly the way it was when you left it. So if you switch back in say 4 weeks you'll be at 32 out of 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happens to conduits, when you switch? Do you keep them? They seem to be tied to the toon, not the covenant.