Thread: Too much money?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Too much money?

Let's face it, lots of people make too much money.

How do you handle when you make more money than is reasonable?
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Let's face it, lots of people make too much money.

How do you handle when you make more money than is reasonable?
    No they don't.

I make way more than most people, and I handle it by saving it, investing it, and planning for retirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No they don't.

I make way more than most people, and I handle it by saving it, investing it, and planning for retirement.
    But don't you feel guilty when so many people have so little.
    Driving on Sunshine.

But don't you feel guilty when so many people have so little.
    Nope, not at all.

Why should I look down upon the Taco Bell employee? Why should I feel guilty that the mechanic is doing a job he enjoys?

Few people make "too much" money. According to a 2017 study, people stop feeling happier after $75,000. Adjusting for inflation, that is about $78k in 2019. This is for an individual, not a household. This amounts to about 33% of the full-time working population over 18 in 2019, or about 20% of the over-18 US population (working pop, total pop).

This also excludes cost of living and other variables, so I would imagine the percent is actually much lower, seeing as someone making $80k in a major city is certainly not at the same level of wealth/security/happiness as someone making $80k in rural America. I'm not going to go into a deeper analysis than I have though.

The answer is basically what @Machismo said. I technically make above the "happiness" line but I live in an expensive area so I definitely feel that my life would be a lot better with 30-50% more, then I imagine beyond that would do little for me. My goal is to retire as young as possible, instead of slaving away until I die while working like so many are forced to do.

Disclaimer: this post applies to people living in the USA
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    The key to happiness when having too much money.

Use the money to find better hobbies than posting online.

Being online too much causes more unhappiness than having too much money.
    Government Affiliated Snark

There is no such thing as too much money.

I'd need more money than Jeff Bezos has to do all the eccentric things I wanna do.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone has very much wealth in 2021. People like Elon Musk don't even have enough wealth to prevent them from dying which means they are actually poor in my view. A person might need a net worth of $10 quadrillion before they could marshal the resources needed for an anti-aging program that will be successful, so until that happens I wouldn't even consider the claim that a person could have too much wealth.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-01-22 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I don't think anyone has very much wealth in 2021. People like Elon Musk don't even have enough wealth to prevent them from dying which means they are actually poor in my view. A person might need a net worth of $10 quadrillion before they could marshal the resources needed for an anti-aging program that will be successful, so until that happens I wouldn't even consider the idea that a person could have too much wealth.
    That seems like a random number, and not one wrought from any sort of actual methodology.

It's not just about resources, but actual feasibility.

7+ Year Old Account
    That seems like a random number, and not one wrought from any sort of actual methodology.

It's not just about resources, but actual feasibility.
    Yes well we have to use random numbers when we don't know how much resources it will take to achieve future goals. It is about resources though because you need resources in order to pay the scientists and researchers for their time and for their equipment.

Hopefully the actual number is less than $10 quadrillion. It would be pretty awesome if the first person to beat the aging process is only a trillionaire since trillionaires will probably start existing in just a couple decades.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-01-23 at 12:16 AM.

Yes well we have to use random numbers when we don't know how much resources it will take to achieve future goals. It is about resources though because you need resources in order to pay the scientists and researchers for their time and to pay for their equipment.

Hopefully the actual number is less than $10 quadrillion. It would be pretty awesome if the first person to beat the aging process is only a trillionaire.
    Except, we have no idea if it's a matter of resources. It could simply be a matter of it not being actually possible.

By your metric, literally everyone is poor.

I don't care for extravagant luxury. Give me a high end spec PC and a good entertainment setup in the TV room and I'd be 100% content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except, we have no idea if it's a matter of resources. It could simply be a matter of it not being actually possible.
    Right so we could discover a law of physics that says it's impossible for a person to live for more than X amount of years, however I'm skeptical of that being the case.
    By your metric, literally everyone is poor.
    Precisely yes, I do feel sorry for Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk because they are too poor to prevent themselves from losing everything they have.

No they don't.

Factually people do make too much money. Does besos need to make 5-10 billion doing purely nothing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Factually people do make too much money. Does besos need to make 5-10 billion doing purely nothing?
    He created amazon which adds huge "value" to the lives of prime citizens
    Driving on Sunshine.

Right so we could discover a law of physics that says it's impossible for a person to live for more than X amount of years, however I'm skeptical of that being the case.

Precisely yes, I do feel sorry for Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk because they are too poor to prevent themselves from losing everything they have.
    Do you feel sorry for yourself?

He created amazon which adds huge "value" to the lives of prime citizens
    He’s a wealthy postman that incidentally destroyed not just small businesses all over the country and world but large ones.

That doesn't make anything a fact.

He doesn't NEED to do anything. But, he wants that much.

- - - Updated - - -

He’s a wealthy postman that incidentally destroyed not just small businesses all over the country and world but large ones.
    So, don't use his company.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you feel sorry for yourself?
    Yeah of course when it comes to the topic of death. I feel equally sorry about every human death regardless of whether we're talking about me, or a homeless person with no money, or a billionaire.

Yeah of course when it comes to the topic of death. I feel equally sorry about every human death regardless of whether we're talking about me, or a homeless person with no money, or a billionaire.
    You really should stop feeling sorry for yourself about wealth.

Time to pull up those bootstraps.