Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Jeff Bezos to step down as Amazon CEO, Andy Jassy to take over in Q3

Last edited by Agent Smith; 2021-02-02 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Linking different media outlets for transparency

This isn't to hide money, he's still going to be Executive Chair, and he will still be very much in charge of the company.

Yes, this is huge news, but I don't expect too much to change over the next 5 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 "disturbing" and "potentially harmful" social media posts from 10+ years ago surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This isn't to hide money, he's still going to be Executive Chair, and he will still be very much in charge of the company.

Yes, this is huge news, but I don't expect too much to change over the next 5 years.
    He's just gonna do what billionaires seem to do nowadays: Spend more time with his rocket ship company because when you're a billionaire that's what one simply does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    inb4 "disturbing" and "potentially harmful" social media posts from 10+ years ago surface.
    10 years ago? They're going back to High School now >.<

Back on topic: you think its blackmail?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He's just gonna do what billionaires seem to do nowadays: Spend more time with his rocket ship company because when you're a billionaire that's what one simply does.
    Well, Larry Ellison "stepped down" to spend more time on his own Hawaiian Island. Bezos will hopefully have more time on his hands to count all his money, and plot control over the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post

Jeff Bezos was in high school 10 years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Jeff Bezos was in high school 10 years ago?
    Thats not what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post

There's no reason to think it's blackmail, he's still in charge of the company.

If anything, he's looking to actually spend some of his Scrooge McDuck winnings.

Hes more interested in Amazon Prime Video and becoming the next Harvey Weinstein. He literally loses money on it but has it so that he can mingle in social circles in NY and LA. Creepy bald midget.

As for moving his money, why would he when he can just onshore it in America, Delaware etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    People are saying there's a scandal? Usually a billionaire wants to focus on new big picture ideas instead of getting bogged down on day-to-day stuff. Seems par for the course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    People are saying there's a scandal? Usually a billionaire wants to focus on new big picture ideas instead of getting bogged down on day-to-day stuff. Seems par for the course.
    This is nonsense...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    This is nonsense...
    Okay so what is the motivation?

Okay so what is the motivation?
    He was spending more time on his pet projects already so now he is just making it official. At this point Amazon can easily run without Bezos if it can't then he has failed as a leader.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    He was spending more time on his pet projects already so now he is just making it official. At this point Amazon can easily run without Bezos if it can't then he has failed as a leader.
    Yeah but one of those "pet projects" could be the next big picture idea that changes the world. Amazon is insanely helpful to me so why wouldn't I want him to create Amazon 2.0?

Most people just hate him because they're angry and jealous that he has more wealth than almost everyone else. That's not a real reason to dislike someone.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-02-02 at 11:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All these people saying there must be some alternative reasoning behind him stepping down from CEO of Amazon. He's got a lot of other ventures he wants to devote full time to. He may be irritated that Elon/SpaceX has really left his Blue Origin in the dust bin. Let's not forget this really is not really that different than Bill Gates when he stepped down from Micro$oft to pursue other ventures.

Yeah but one of those "pet projects" could be the next big picture idea that changes the world. Amazon is insanely helpful to me so why wouldn't I want him to create Amazon 2.0?

Most people just hate him because they're angry and jealous that he has more wealth than almost everyone else. That's not a real reason to dislike someone.
    What makes you think Bezos wants to change the world? I don't hate the guy he is a product of what society allows but the notion that billionaires are somehow benevolent gods always trying to make the world better is delusional.

7+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think Bezos wants to change the world? I don't hate the guy he is a product of what society allows but the notion that billionaires are somehow benevolent gods always trying to make the world better is delusional.
    I'm not saying billionaires are god-like, or morally or intellectually superior to the average person. I think they're the same as everyone else. My argument is that it's good that there is a billionaire class that can afford to risk money on new projects and innovations and they can create demand for luxuries that subsequently become available to the average person after a decade or two.

Some people say the world would be better off if you distributed all of the wealth of rich people such that everyone has a similar net worth of $100k or whatever. I think that's total nonsense and the world would actually be worse off without billionaires who are in a unique position to take risks and create new industries.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-02-03 at 01:31 AM.

I'm not saying billionaires are god-like, or morally or intellectually superior to the average person. I think they're the same as everyone else. My argument is that it's good that there is a billionaire class that can afford to risk money on new projects and innovations and they can create demand for luxuries that subsequently become available to the average person after a decade or two.

Some people say the world would be better off if you distributed all of the wealth of rich people such that everyone has a similar net worth of $100k or whatever. I think that's total nonsense and world would actually be worse off without billionaires who are in a unique position to take risks and create new industries.
    That's neither here or there and your argument is that Amazon is great for your life but let me ask you this how do you that none of the many competitors that Amazon crushed or absorbed wouldn't have been better for the world? I mean just because they won doesn't mean it's good for the world see facebook, big tobacco, oil etc etc.

Last but not least risks are taken by small companies for the most part large companies like Amazon either copy them to put them out of business or buy them outright. What was the last thing Amazon innovated?

Jeff Bezos already has changed the world. Whether or not he did so to better the world or not is really important. There are ways that Amazon has made the world better, ways that it has made the world worse, and ways that it has simply maintained the status quo.