Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't know if your question was sincere or not but I answered it anyway because the internet is forever.
    Yeah, I have google...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's just rationalizing lazy thinking and lazy work to justify making the same mistakes.
    I think the issue would expose it self, if they had to explain if an experiment having the same result today, as it did 1000 years ago... is a historical reference in predicting it will happen again tomorrow.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's just rationalizing lazy thinking and lazy work to justify making the same mistakes.
    No it's the exact opposite. Anyone can look at historical examples and find patterns that can be projected into the future. It's lazy and it doesn't require critical thinking. However finding an explanation of historical examples takes a lot more work but is wholly superior because it tells you why and how things work. If you can't explain history then you'll still be liable to make the same mistakes even if you have a mountain of historical data.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-02-04 at 03:54 AM.

I grew up poor too.
    However, the things you list are not an indication of poor.
    Mine is more like no health insurance and drive very old car.

eating fried bologna sandwiches and hot dog macaroni dish, shopping with FOOD STAMPS no no not those EBT Cards
    I never had food stamps and EBT Cards, but you are not supposed to eat at a restaurant.

wearing a handful of cloths during the week, washing cloths by hand, shopping for 2 for 1 cheap crappy shoes
    You buy the shoes a little bit more expensive ($40). The real leather last many years.

As for the entertainment, use gaming as an example, there are plenty of F2P games, or $10 AAA games.

As for having kids, it is the other way around in this world.
    The rich people have less kids. The poor has more.
    For example, tigers only have 1 or 2.
    The ants and cockroachs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I grew up poor too.
    However, the things you list are not an indication of poor.
    Mine is more like no health insurance and drive very old car.

eating fried bologna sandwiches and hot dog macaroni dish, shopping with FOOD STAMPS no no not those EBT Cards
    I never had food stamps and EBT Cards, but you are not supposed to eat at a restaurant.

wearing a handful of cloths during the week, washing cloths by hand, shopping for 2 for 1 cheap crappy shoes
    You buy the shoes a little bit more expensive ($40). The real leather last many years.

As for the entertainment, use gaming as an example, there are plenty of F2P games, or $10 AAA games.

As for having kids, it is the other way around in this world.
    The rich people have less kids. The poor has more.
    For example, tigers only have 1 or 2.
    The ants and cockroachs are everywhere.
    I don't think you know what dirt poor means.

1. you pretty much have to use food assistance of some sort, or you don't get enough to eat. even with assistance, you may not get enough to eat.
    2. budgets are so tight, there is NO room to save for a better pair of shoes. the ones you have, are falling apart, you need to replace them NOW or go barefoot (which tends to be not an option). you do not have enough money for better pair of shoes now, so you buy what you can afford... and the cycle continues.
    3. no health insurance, sure but... not being able to afford ANY car. walking everywhere. because walking is free but it also takes a lot more time, so you don't have as much time to rest, cook, look for a new job, study for a better job, etc. video games require your own computer. you can go to a library and use theirs... but those computers have limited use and you are probably using them things other then gaming. library IS a good source of free entertainment... if you have time and energy enough left for it.

the biggest truth I have personaly learned about poverty is that its a catch 22. damned if you do, damned if you don't. climbing out of being dirt poor is a Sisyphus burden all too often. you are at all times one emergency away from losing whatever progress you may have made, and you are lucky if you are only set back to where you started.

only ever having one haircut, because mam does it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Begging strangers for money, food, or other handouts is hard work.

So, respect the street hustle.
    Government Affiliated Snark

That by desiring little, I can be rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    That by desiring little, I can be rich.
    That doesn’t make any sense... I think you are going for...

“We Are All In The Gutter But Some Of Us Are Looking At The Stars” – Oscar Wilde.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That doesn’t make any sense... I think you are going for...

“We Are All In The Gutter But Some Of Us Are Looking At The Stars” – Oscar Wilde.
    No, that's just sad. Aspiring to be something you will not be.

Instead you should be content with what you have. Do you really need another iPad or smartphone?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's just sad. Aspiring to be something you will not be.

Instead you should be content with what you have. Do you really need another iPad or smartphone?
    Dude... he means literal stars... not celebrities...

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Dude... he means literal stars... not celebrities...
    Yes, he is looking up. Very good. (Or bad, such as in the case I described.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, he is looking up. Very good. (Or bad, such as in the case I described.)
    Probably a waste of time... but, what isn’t...

Have you ever seen a chandelier? Now pretend the night sky is not covered in light pollution, so you can actually see the stars at night. Is that evocative... at all?

Maybe if I knew what those were I'd want one.
    But grew up without either.

I didn't grow up poor, but I grew up in a poor town. I was also poor while working my ass through college.

The thing that was the most clear, was that being poor is largely a result of the choices people make in life. I watched countless poor families who refused to learn new trades, move elsewhere for work, or even take jobs they felt were beneath them. I also saw poor money management (especially when I was poor in college), as well as no real eye on the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I didn't grow up poor, but I grew up in a poor town. I was also poor while working my ass through college.

The thing that was the most clear, was that being poor is largely a result of the choices people make in life. I watched countless poor families who refused to learn new trades, move elsewhere for work, or even take jobs they felt were beneath them. I also saw poor money management (especially when I was poor in college), as well as no real eye on the future.
    Oh boy that's a hot take on the situation.

I disagree, in that it is not usually a result of personal decisions people make that result in poverty. Some but there are only so many decisions people are capable of making given the circumstances.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Oh boy that's a hot take on the situation.
    You find that evidence, yet?

Was very poor to a single mother. We were basically homeless for most of my childhood. Only had a roof thanks to the charity of my grandparents letting us live with them. Managed to claw myself and pull my mother along as well via working since I was 12. You learned to live with less and what it took via hard work to actually get the things you want. You don't need a fancy car, apartment/house, be a walking advertisement bill board with the clothing/shoes you wear, have the latest iShiney© etc. You learned to do and live with less and be happy and content with what you have.