Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Finally we have some 1st/Freedom of Speech violations that involve BIG tech!!!

    LOL finally, unfortunately the violation is planned against BIG Tech.

    Oh the irony of it all. Guess he is gearing up for presidential run against Trump so he has to get down to his level of stupidity quickly





    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...248952689.html
    https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/...n-on-big-tech/

    The new regulations announced by DeSantis include:

    Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.

    A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.

    Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.

    Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”
    Greater transparency requirements.

    Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.

    Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  2. #2
    Man, the GOP despises the 1st Amendment.

  3. #3
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
    This is unenforceable.

    You cannot fine someone for enforcing a legal contract.

    EDIT: And even if you could, social media would simply not offer candidates platforms in Florida. It would be too big of a risk for them.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Man, the GOP despises the 1st Amendment.
    It's stupidity more than hatred. Too stupid to read the 1st amendment, to understand it, and are just told by people who are just slightly less stupid then they are what to believe instead.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It's stupidity more than hatred. Too stupid to read the 1st amendment, to understand it, and are just told by people who are just slightly less stupid then they are what to believe instead.
    Well, nobody ever accused fascists of being intelligent.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
    I don't know the specifics of what the rest of the rules mean but this one? This one is just blatantly unconstitutional.

  7. #7
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights. civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector. the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc. this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights. civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector. the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc. this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Nazis should not be a protected class, no matter how much you want them to be.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.
    Forcing a private company to host and/or share content they don't want to? That sounds like...Orwellian?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
    Mandating that politicians be guaranteed a platform, regardless of their behavior? Is this Communist China?

    Seriously, the level to which the Republican party, and specifically Florida Republicans and DeSantis, lacks any self awareness at all truly continues to astound me. If it weren't for autonomic functions, I do fear that they'd forget to inhale every once in a while. Not too often, just enough to keep the 'ol brainbox workin at minimum power. Gotta conserve those resources, that's how you live forever.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights. civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector. the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc. this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Not a protected class won't succeed in the supreme court.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't know the specifics of what the rest of the rules mean but this one? This one is just blatantly unconstitutional.
    what if twitter banned all black people? should they be fined? what if they banned all right wing people. should they be fined? its a civil rights issue.

    ive said this before. i think one the ball gets rolling, civil rights extending to political persuasion may extend all the way down to MMOC. This website could get investigated in the long run for banning people for political speech, and the owners and even moderators may wind up liable. its coming and this is the start. and it could be retroactive. they will look back and do a hard pass on 2020 posts and start levying fines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights.
    Citation needed*

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector.
    While technically accurate, sure, it's a gross misrepresentation of what civil rights actually are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc.
    They don't "invoke" it, the rights exist and companies can be taken to court over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Not even the most broad, vague, generous reading of Civil Rights legislation would lead one to this conclusion.

    Unless one was using giant sharpie to add some additional text that was not a part of the original bill.

    Do you just like, make shit up as you go along?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    what if twitter banned all black people? should they be fined? what if they banned all right wing people. should they be fined? its a civil rights issue.

    ive said this before. i think one the ball gets rolling, civil rights extending to political persuasion may extend all the way down to MMOC. This website could get investigated in the long run for banning people for political speech, and the owners and even moderators may wind up liable. its coming and this is the start.
    It's not a civil rights issue, Nazis are not a protected class.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Citation needed*



    While technically accurate, sure, it's a gross misrepresentation of what civil rights actually are.



    They don't "invoke" it, the rights exist and companies can be taken to court over it.



    Not even the most broad, vague, generous reading of Civil Rights legislation would lead one to this conclusion.

    Unless one was using giant sharpie to add some additional text that was not a part of the original bill.

    Do you just like, make shit up as you go along?
    im just saying, its not out of the realm of possibilty that they will fine you some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    im just saying, its not out of the realm of possibilty that they will fine you some day.
    Why do you keep pushing such fascism?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    what if twitter banned all black people? should they be fined?
    Good question, actually. We'd have to go to some Civil Rights lawyers for an informed answer on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    what if they banned all right wing people. should they be fined? its a civil rights issue.
    No, they wouldn't. Political party or ideology is not a protected class.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    i think one the ball gets rolling, civil rights extending to political persuasion may extend all the way down to MMOC.
    Based on what interpretation of the actual law itself? Cite it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    This website could get investigated in the long run for banning people for political speech, and the owners and even moderators may wind up liable. its coming and this is the start.
    Man, I see you've picked new angle for your "street corner doomsday prophet" gig.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    im just saying, its not out of the realm of possibilty that they will fine you some day.
    It is. Political view is not a protected class. Cite your evidence and/or research or just admit you're making shit up as you go.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Why do you keep pushing such fascism?
    I'm not pushing it. But the banning of Trump from twitter is causing a severe backlash. A backlash that might very well circle round and start hitting site owners and moderators who ban political speech. You can see it coming with the Florida governor's proposal. Maybe you disagree with such a law and think its unconstitutional or fascist. But your disagreement with such a law won't prevent it from happening.

    In the case of MMOC, moderators hide anonymously on bannings, so they would just target all moderators with fines and call it a day. And resigning as a mod might not be enough as they may just make it retroactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  18. #18
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    66,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    what if twitter banned all black people? should they be fined?
    As race is a federally protected class, yes.

    what if they banned all right wing people. should they be fined? its a civil rights issue.
    As political affiliation or leaning is not a protected class, no.

    While it's a civil rights issue, you don't seem to understand the civil rights in question, in the first place. Or you'd have known the obvious difference, here.

    It's also ridiculous, because nobody's being banned off social media for "being right wing".

    ive said this before. i think one the ball gets rolling, civil rights extending to political persuasion may extend all the way down to MMOC. This website could get investigated in the long run for banning people for political speech, and the owners and even moderators may wind up liable. its coming and this is the start. and it could be retroactive. they will look back and do a hard pass on 2020 posts and start levying fines.
    This is so incredibly Orwellian that it's pretty amazing you think this is in any way a defense of civil liberties.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm not pushing it. But the banning of Trump from twitter is causing a severe backlash. A backlash that might very well circle round and start hitting site owners and moderators who ban political speech. You can see it coming with the Florida governor's proposal. Maybe you disagree with such a law and think its unconstitutional or fascist. But your disagreement with such a law won't prevent it from happening.
    You have hundreds of posts that says otherwise.

    Nazis are not a protected class. Trump was banned for inciting violence and pushing misinformation... both of which break the rules.

    This is straight fascism.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is so incredibly Orwellian that it's pretty amazing you think this is in any way a defense of civil liberties.
    I didn't say I was in support of this. So right there you have that. But hell it wouldn't shock me if some agency hasn't already scraped the names of key people on a lot of forums or had people supply that information in case such a law goes ahead at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •