15+ Year Old Account

Shaman base mastery amounts

OK why is shaman base mastery amount sooooooooooooooo high compared to other classes and specs in the game? I was just looking at my shaman (troll resto) with ZERO gear with mastery nor did he have any mastery buffs or even stats enchant on his chest. He's sitting at 24% mastery. I took all his gear off and sure enough, 24% mastery. I swapped to enh and he's at 16% mastery. I swapped to ele and 15% mastery. I checked all my other characters and checked all 3 of their specs and shaman have the highest base mastery in the game with the exception of feral druid who is at 16% base mastery in cat form with ZERO talents picked (only 4% base mastery as resto). I understand how mastery for resto shaman is quite shitty until you need it then its the god stat so I just don't get why mastery for ALL specs of shaman is so high compared to all other classes.

is this some late night atempt at a joke?

mastery is made to scale differently for every spec,its basicaly a tuning thing,24% healing for resto shaman the lower the target is,isnt very amazing,however a flat 15% dmg for enha sounds a lot better,in the past my resto shaman got to 120% mastery,sadly is pretty useless once progression is over and other healers get better gear....

they REALLY need to change shaman resto mastery,keep the current one and add a flat healing increase,holy priests used to have something like this,its just a bad design to have you get worse the better the group and other healers get

its just tuning,why does shadowbolt do less than pyro etc,
    Last edited by deenman; 2021-02-03 at 05:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order to reach that amount of Mastery, you have to heal a target with 1% or less HP. In practice it's closer to a 8-12% overall healing boost - Essentially in line with what other healers get from their mastery.

With that said, there have been a handful of fights in which Resto Shaman's mastery was able to be brought to full power - Malkorok Heroic was one of them if I'm remember correctly.

Mastery is generally considered Resto Shaman's lowest priority throughput stat overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

MW monk base mastery is like 34% or something, it's all because different masteries do different things, and scale at different levels. The effect of the % shown on the mastery doesn't translate to the same DPS/HPS increase as any other class, or even spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    In order to reach that amount of Mastery, you have to heal a target with 1% or less HP. In practice it's closer to a 8-12% overall healing boost - Essentially in line with what other healers get from their mastery.

With that said, there have been a handful of fights in which Resto Shaman's mastery was able to be brought to full power - Malkorok Heroic was one of them if I'm remember correctly.

Mastery is generally considered Resto Shaman's lowest priority throughput stat overall.
    tyrant velhari in hellfire was the same,with that absorb thing,ofc it was not real healing done,but looked good on metter lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    is this some late night atempt at a joke?

mastery is made to scale differently for every spec,its basicaly a tuning thing,24% healing for resto shaman the lower the target is,isnt very amazing,however a flat 15% dmg for enha sounds a lot better,in the past my resto shaman got to 120% mastery,sadly is pretty useless once progression is over and other healers get better gear....

they REALLY need to change shaman resto mastery,keep the current one and add a flat healing increase,holy priests used to have something like this,its just a bad design to have you get worse the better the group and other healers get

its just tuning,why does shadowbolt do less than pyro etc,
    This was a legit question I noticed in regards to base % of mastery shaman get compared to other classes and specs. Going through all other classes and specs I saw how hunter has 5/13/15 (average 11), warrior has 9/11/12 (average 10.6), rogue has 14/12/20 (average 15.3), warlock has 20/12/16 (average 16), mage has 10/6/8 (average 8), druid has 9/16/4/4 (average 8.25), paladin has 12/8/13 (average 11), DK has 16/16/14 (average 15.3), priest has 11/10/4 (average 8.3), DH has 14/24 (average 19) percentage base mastery based on their spec (numbers listed are in order top to bottom of their available specs). Comparing those numbers to shaman who get base mastery of 24% resto, 15% elemental, and 16% enhancement seems rather high (average is 18.3% mastery between the 3 specs). Whether or not mastery is a good stat or not for a certain spec is besides the point. The point I'm making is that shaman as a whole have a significantly higher base percentage of mastery than every other class out there other than DH and that's only because DH only has 2 specs to average between. Even if you compare spec to spec on the base mastery percentages, its way higher than everyone else's.

As far as your question about shadowbolt vs pyroblast, you're comparing 4.5 second cast time pyroblast to a 2 second cast time spell shadowbolt. If every 2 second cast time spell hit for as much as a 4.5 second spell, why would any caster cast anything BUT the faster cast time spell?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    This was a legit question I noticed in regards to base % of mastery shaman get compared to other classes and specs. Going through all other classes and specs I saw how hunter has 5/13/15 (average 11), warrior has 9/11/12 (average 10.6), rogue has 14/12/20 (average 15.3), warlock has 20/12/16 (average 16), mage has 10/6/8 (average 8), druid has 9/16/4/4 (average 8.25), paladin has 12/8/13 (average 11), DK has 16/16/14 (average 15.3), priest has 11/10/4 (average 8.3), DH has 14/24 (average 19) percentage base mastery based on their spec (numbers listed are in order top to bottom of their available specs). Comparing those numbers to shaman who get base mastery of 24% resto, 15% elemental, and 16% enhancement seems rather high (average is 18.3% mastery between the 3 specs). Whether or not mastery is a good stat or not for a certain spec is besides the point. The point I'm making is that shaman as a whole have a significantly higher base percentage of mastery than every other class out there other than DH and that's only because DH only has 2 specs to average between. Even if you compare spec to spec on the base mastery percentages, its way higher than everyone else's.

As far as your question about shadowbolt vs pyroblast, you're comparing 4.5 second cast time pyroblast to a 2 second cast time spell shadowbolt. If every 2 second cast time spell hit for as much as a 4.5 second spell, why would any caster cast anything BUT the faster cast time spell?
    it makes sense when you consider scaling. Ele for example is 15% but each proc of master is only 85% damage so it's really 12.75 (factoring in recursive bolts) compared to specs like affliction which are pretty much raw damage buffs. Same with resto on average you healing a target around the 60% marker imop. so Your only getting (1-.6)*24= 9.6% increase. Because of this they set the mastery scaling % higher and the base mastery amount higher to compensate for the fact that their shit don't work great.

Like, even if shaman has more base master, why u are so fixated about it? It does not make shamans stronger or weaker.

The point I'm making is that shaman as a whole have a significantly higher base percentage of mastery than every other class out
    Mastery percentage is contextual.

Imagine one mastery is a simple percentage increase to damage. Imagine another mastery is a percentage increase to only certain spells, but the spec uses many other spells. To make base mastery and mastery scaling equal for each, base mastery would have to be higher for the second spec and mastery scaling would have to be higher.

Does that make sense?

If you can mathematically show that Resto Shaman's base mastery provides a higher percentage of healing than say, the base mastery of another healer, than you have a valid case. However, simply comparing percentages is meaningless. Mastery is contextual.

Mastery is always a weird one for Shamans, it never really seems to sit very importantly with most things when in theory it should. Who doesn't love machinegunning lightning bolts into people? It's awesome to have powerful frost, fire, nature damage constantly bombarding those you are swinging hammers at. Super emergency healing? Hell yeah!

The issue ends up being, compared to other stats it sits pretty damn low. So they seem to compensate this by just giving a ton of free mastery on the specs to make the most basic functions work. Like Overload and the minor windfury buff.

I would like to see Ele/Enh masteries feel more important because I like them in theory. Resto... it is sort of just like half of a mastery in practice.

I honestly feel like Elemental's mastery should just be converted to Crit. So instead of having bigger crits, the "Crit" would be the overload proc. This might open up Ele to something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

OK why is shaman base mastery amount sooooooooooooooo high compared to other classes and specs in the game? I was just looking at my shaman (troll resto) with ZERO gear with mastery nor did he have any mastery buffs or even stats enchant on his chest. He's sitting at 24% mastery. I took all his gear off and sure enough, 24% mastery. I swapped to enh and he's at 16% mastery. I swapped to ele and 15% mastery. I checked all my other characters and checked all 3 of their specs and shaman have the highest base mastery in the game with the exception of feral druid who is at 16% base mastery in cat form with ZERO talents picked (only 4% base mastery as resto). I understand how mastery for resto shaman is quite shitty until you need it then its the god stat so I just don't get why mastery for ALL specs of shaman is so high compared to all other classes.
    That is actually pretty low. I remember mw monks would start base at like 40% mastery. End of xpacs my mw would have almost 300% mastery without even trying.

You need over 100% Mastery as Resto for it to be effective. By the time you get that much Mastery, you've already cleared all of the content and no longer need that much Mastery. For other specs, like Enh for example, 24% mastery means literally 24% more damage, 100% of the fight encounter. 24% Mastery as Rsham is only 24% when you're healing people who are at or below 76% hp. So you aren't fully benefitting from Mastery throughout the fight like other specs, which justifies the higher initial amount imo. In fact I think 24% is way too low.