Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Activision Blizzard Q4 2020 Investor Call

Activision Blizzard Q4 2020 Investor Call
    The Activision Blizzard earnings call is this afternoon. We've highlighted some of the written results below.

• In the fourth quarter, Activision had 128 million MAU
    • World of Warcraft saw strong engagement across both the Classic and modern game modes throughout 2020, and full year franchise net bookings grew 40% year-over-year, reaching the highest level in nearly a decade.
    • World of Warcraft MAUs grew year-over-year for the sixth consecutive quarter, contributing to overall Blizzard MAUs of 29 million in the fourth quarter.
    • Fourth quarter net bookings for World of Warcraft grew sharply year-over-year, driven by strong sales of the Shadowlands expansion, subscriber growth, and high participation in value added services
    • World of Warcraft player and engagement trends since the Shadowlands release are stronger than levels typically seen at this point after an expansion launch.
    • On mobile, the first stage of regional testing for Diablo Immortal in December and January was met with very positive feedback and strong engagement metrics. More players will get to experience the game in further rounds of testing ahead of the launch planned for later this year
    Last edited by chaud; 2021-02-04 at 09:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, WoW aint dead yet. As many wanted it to.
    Far from it I guess?

Doesnt change the fact gearing is slow for M+ players (aside from PvP for sure, pvp gearing is too great to be truth )

Uh-oh, the haters ain't going to like this

tldr
    Classic is carrying the shit out of MAU's
    Shadowlands is doing better than average.
    Diablo immortal might be a sucess with mobile gamers, who are for the most part not comming from existing Blizzard fanbase of players who dont need to play mobile games, THEY HAVE PC'S!

Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    Well, WoW aint dead yet. As many wanted it to.
    Far from it I guess?

Doesnt change the fact gearing is slow for M+ players (aside from PvP for sure, pvp gearing is too great to be truth )
    Expecting and wanting are two quite different things

Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    tldr
    Diablo immortal might be a sucess with mobile gamers, who are for the most part not comming from existing Blizzard fanbase of players who dont need to play mobile games, THEY HAVE PC'S!
    shadowlands had the best launch sales out of any expansion in WoWs history lol so, wrong lol and classic and shadowlands are the same sub and alot of players play both. Shadowlands is a good expansion so far with a few gripes just like in any moment in wow. its never gonna be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Shamahan View Post
    Uh-oh, the haters ain't going to like this
    what that classic WoW is carrying retail hard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Wow is dying though...

they said naerly a decade, meaning it didnt cross wotlk levels lol ,man their wordings are so like wtf??? its so hard gauge whats real or not

10+ Year Old Account
    tldr
    Its funny how easy it is to read your bias in this post. Shadowlands had huge numbers and has higher engagement at this point of an expansion than any other in history. The large growth was attributed to both versions of the game, no where did it attribute classic more than retail. Also as someone who has been playing PC/Console games for 25+ years, i will install Immortal day one because i would love a fun mobile game, as would just about anyone in my guild (which on retail sits at about 500 players, and on its classic sister guild has about 55 players).
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

The worldwide pandemic with lots of people working from home and e-learning at home, and most public places closed. Means way more time to play video games. So yeah subs would be at a best all time high.

And a brand new expansion release, people still stuck at home with nothing much to do and now a new expansion, of course that would be a huge seller.

Now, let's see the numbers a few months from now, after the games been stale and nothing new for awhile. 9.1 in May?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    they said naerly a decade, meaning it didnt cross wotlk levels lol ,man their wordings are so like wtf??? its so hard gauge whats real or not
    Technically speaking, the peak was at the star of cata IIRC. But its not hard to understand what is going on, it has one of the best revenue values since Wotlk, people like to complicate the message just so they can do some mental gymnastics, but as it stands, WoW is at one of his strongest points yet.

That is pretty good if you ask me
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    shadowlands had the best launch sales out of any expansion in WoWs history lol so, wrong lol and classic and shadowlands are the same sub and alot of players play both. Shadowlands is a good expansion so far with a few gripes just like in any moment in wow. its never gonna be perfect
    Yes, shadowlands has had the best launch sales, specifically because of classic players bleeding over.
    Also because the world population is going up, covid exists and yes shadowlands wasnt a flop.

People are beginning to drift from shadowlands, i can see it in the guilds on my realm, the highest alliance pop realm in the world, this is due to the repeitive grindy nature of retail that oldschool players do not enjoy and because of raid difficulty for casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    what that classic WoW is carrying retail hard?
    Rona is real mvp, lockdown hard carries since nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Its funny how easy it is to read your bias in this post. Shadowlands had huge numbers and has higher engagement at this point of an expansion than any other in history. The large growth was attributed to both versions of the game, no where did it attribute classic more than retail. Also as someone who has been playing PC/Console games for 25+ years, i will install Immortal day one because i would love a fun mobile game, as would just about anyone in my guild (which on retail sits at about 500 players, and on its classic sister guild has about 55 players).
    WOTLK is still #1 in all time subs and engagement. They said in nearly a decade which means it doesnt count WOTLK...MAU's are not active subscriptions which they dont tell you anymore
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Its funny how easy it is to read your bias in this post, Wotlk will NEVER be topped in terms of raw players., i would stake my life, my security and my wealth on that.

"as someone who has been playing PC/Console games for 25+ years"

OKAY BOOMER, DONT HAVE A STROKE NOW, GO HAVE YOUR SELTZER WATER AND ASPRIN, BAHAHHA.

(which on retail sits at about 500 players, and on its classic sister guild has about 55 players)
    What a suprise, retailers dont like classic, classic was never intended for them.

WoW: Classic still going strong? But the scientists on this forum said it would be dead in... what was it again? 2 weeks? 2 months? 4 months? 8 months? I need some confirmation which one it was again, surely there are plenty of people around here with their reliable knowledge that can tell me.

As for Shadowlands there's no doubt that anyone would have not expected this quarter to do well, considering its release and all. Gotta say its launch was pretty strong but I worry more for its longevity, hopefully we can expect some major patches to provide enough content and not all this new currency to chase after.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2021-02-04 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Technically speaking, the peak was at the star of cata IIRC. But its not hard to understand what is going on, it has one of the best revenue values since Wotlk, people like to complicate the message just so they can do some mental gymnastics, but as it stands, WoW is at one of his strongest points yet.

That is pretty good if you ask me
    thanks to the cash shop and pay2win tokens

10+ Year Old Account
    Its funny how easy it is to read your bias in this post, Wotlk will NEVER be topped in terms of raw players., i would stake my life, my security and my wealth on that.

"as someone who has been playing PC/Console games for 25+ years"

OKAY BOOMER, DONT HAVE A STROKE NOW, GO HAVE YOUR SELTZER WATER AND ASPRIN, BAHAHHA.

(which on retail sits at about 500 players, and on its classic sister guild has about 55 players)
    What a suprise, retailers dont like classic, classic was never intended for them.
    First, no one said anything about WOTLK, and yeah it had high numbers but Cata technically had higher subs at launch than any other point....soooooooo

Second, im in my 30s, nowhere near boomer territory but good try.

Finally, our guild on Pagle has done all content with two raid teams, and our retail guild is a guild that has had the same leadership since vanilla, so you really don't know what you are talking about.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

first, no one said anything about wotlk, and yeah it had high numbers but cata technically had higher subs at launch than any other point....soooooooo

second, im in my 30s, nowhere near boomer territory but good try.

Finally, our guild on pagle has done all content with two raid teams, and our retail guild is a guild that has had the same leadership since vanilla, so you really don't know what you are talking about.
    okay boomer, go to sleep