Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Then you should follow the warning. Please stop baiting me into discussing forbidden topics. You were warned previously by the Moderator.

I won't respond to any more bait attempts by you.
    I'm not baiting you. As i have said...I am defending myself against your accusations.

As for not responding to me any more on this subject...That's all I have been asking you to do for several posts now.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-02-09 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Forbidden Topics - Warning

You two need to get a room. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Lol, yeah. Sometimes people get caught up in shit. The irony is fucking thick.

That aside, I'm fascinated by the binary nature of the issues in this horrifically tragic case.

I was thinking of tossing a gun between the two of them...y'know...make it interesting.an unloaded gun...because I'm not that crazy

You're missing the point. Nobody ever said school shooters aren't being bullied. The point is, being bullied doesn't justify you going on a rampage. Sure, people are dicks... but being the ultimate dick and killing everyone is not accepted in society. Hopefully never will be.
    It's deliberately missing the point. "School shooter were bullied" is a trope that is mostly fiction. It fits people's narrativize that Charles Bronson or Liam Neeson "were perfectly reasonable guys until ... they got harassed ".
    So many people have grown up with this in games or movies, and internalized it.

History of shooter events show that most of the shooters already had fantasies about acting out violently. Sometimes fueled by racism and white supremacy.
    Misogyny and spouse abuse are another recurring theme for shooters. Stalking and harrassing women. Until the woman has the nerve to outright reject the guy.

So gaming addicts on this thread casting blame on the victims isnt the biggest shock. They're basically reserving the right to act out their own power fantasies if "Someone pushes them too far..."

Lol, yeah. Sometimes people get caught up in shit. The irony is fucking thick.

That aside, I'm fascinated by the binary nature of the issues in this horrifically tragic case.
    I'm a sick bastard, so I'll not be ashamed to say this... but this is an oddly satisfying case of social discussion where several lessons can be learnt and we have conclusion all neatly packed into a 5 minute video of three assholes improving society by their absence.

HOWEVER, I also can appreciate the controversy. It makes for a really good discussion. As I said several lessons can be learnt here. What I'm more interested in is the context of this happening in the greater social development of the US, where I notice a trend to more binary confrontationalism in... well, basically every aspect of life. The US is still spiralling down, from my perspective. Devolving into a more brutal society as a whole.

Now, mind you I am well aware that my viewpoint is skewed in that I only get presented the scandalous or super important news. I don't care about Good Morning America's 3034th puppy dog being shown on TV, so it probably isn't as bad as I think. And yet, I don't hear a lot of these types of stories out of Canada, Australia, any of the European nations...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post
    So gaming addicts on this thread casting blame on the victims isnt the biggest shock. They're basically reserving the right to act out their own power fantasies if "Someone pushes them too far..."
    Yep, and that is the danger I see in this video. People might take it as an example and live out their own dark fantasies. We'll see if this produces copycats. It seems obscure enough that society may get away with a single incident like this. And people will forgive me, but this is a fucking low hanging fruit... this is what happens in a gun culture. There is no denying that.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Really surprised to see 7 pages on this, I didn't see much room for discussion, don't shoot people, don't be assholes, ESH, etc..
    /s

And people will forgive me, but this is a fucking low hanging fruit... this is what happens in a gun culture. There is no denying that.
    While in many ways i agree with you...there's a mod warning in the topic about keeping this thread away from discussions involving gun control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

While in many ways i agree with you...there's a mod warning in the topic about keeping this thread away from discussions involving gun control.
    Then my infraction is already incoming. @Rozz is just looking for excuses to get my ass banned again. Thanks for the headsup tho, fuck random mod warnings in the middle of a thread...

Then my infraction is already incoming. @Rozz is just looking for excuses to get my ass banned again. Thanks for the headsup tho, fuck random mod warnings in the middle of a thread...
    It's not in the middle of the thread...it's in the OP.

I just mention it so that it doesn't go too far into that direction.

No, I didn't assume anything. Maybe we're misunderstanding here. The couple and the guy have a long-standing feud over various things, including the couple shoveling snow into his yard.

I was trying to say that I couldn't find the initial article where I saw the information about the long standing hostility, but I linked one that did mention it.
    Decades means over 20 years. Not over 10. Maybe you misunderstand what decade means? And there’s zero evidence they’ve been harassing him for that long, just that they’ve had a contentious relationship that long. It’s entirely possible he has always been the aggressor. As evidenced by the fucking video. So, please, explain how the couple is in any way responsible for him executing them in the street. That is you position after all, the victims are partially at fault for the psycho’s actions.
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2021-02-09 at 01:11 AM.

It's not in the middle of the thread...it's in the OP.

I just mention it so that it doesn't go too far into that direction.
    Yep, and I'm on page 7. I don't even remember what the OP looked like lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    The point

-----------

Your head
    You didn’t have a point. Being angry doesn’t make someone temporarily insane.

More than the video, this THREAD (with two maniacs fighting like children) illustrate to me why I never EVER antagonize anyone. Sure, if a psycho kills me over some inconsequential crap, he's at fault, but so what? I'M STILL DEAD. What, is my corpse going to have the satisfaction of saying "ha, see HE was in the wrong."

Yep, and I'm on page 7. I don't even remember what the OP looked like lol.
    Yeah, it's understandable that you didn't see it...I'm newer to the thread so I happened to see it (which is good because, as I said, my thoughts on the matter are not dissimilar to yours). I just wanted to head off the discussion before it gets to the points where mods have to get involved.

I think if it stops right here we can avoid anyone getting infracted over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Again nothing justifies that. And nothing justifies the way he was treated.

The world doesn’t just exist for you and what you think. The way other people feel is important. We all get angry and heated.

But if my neighbor freaked out because I accidentally shoveled snow on his property (Not the case in this situation where it was deliberate)
    My first instinct wouldn’t be to tell them “go fuck them selves” or “what are you going to do about it”.

No because I can’t, but because I’d rather reasonable or not in my view talk to them like a human being apologize work out some kind of arrangement.

Because this is my god damn neighbor. Treating him with respect is an investment just like shooting ones fucking mouth off.

I see the investment this man and his wife made.

- - - Updated - - -

It does and treating people like shit is stupid. Got enough of that attitude then these are the results.
    It comes across as though you're equating their actions. You're saying nothing justifies murder, but also nothing justifies treating people like shit. Murder is a hell of a lot worse than treating someone like shit. People still have options when they are treated like shit. The dead do not have any. That guy could have been the nicest guy in the world prior to this, he proved himself to be 100x the piece of shit that couple was.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Decades means over 20 years. Not over 10. Maybe you misunderstand what decade means? And there’s zero evidence they’ve been harassing him for that long, just that they’ve had a contentious relationship that long. It’s entirely possible he has always been the aggressor. As evidenced by the fucking video. So, please, explain how the couple is in any way responsible for him executing them in the street. That is you position after all, the victims are partially at fault for the psycho’s actions.
    I was just referring to over a decade of antagonism - usually that makes it plural, but I can see what you mean.

And again, I said I read that information in another article - not the one I linked (I will try to find it though). As far as victim blaming goes, I've answered that issue, as well as others, in this thread already. Essentially, the shooting isn't justified at all, but the couple certainly escalated the situation. The argument sets itself apart from the victim blaming that happens with rape victims.

Several people in this thread have made the distinction more eloquently than myself - I would look to them for clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Really surprised to see 7 pages on this, I didn't see much room for discussion, don't shoot people, don't be assholes, ESH, etc..
    Perhaps we could have all benefited from your wisdom had you posted this EARLIER. I know I could have.
    (just attempting a little humor in case it comes off differently)

I agree that 7 pages might be too much, but there is an interesting subconversation about the don't be assholes portion, and how that can or cannot contribute to reactions.

(question - ESH?)

I was just referring to over a decade of antagonism - usually that makes it plural, but I can see what you mean.

And again, I said I read that information in another article - not the one I linked (I will try to find it though). As far as victim blaming goes, I've answered that issue, as well as others, in this thread already. Essentially, the shooting isn't justified at all, but the couple certainly escalated the situation. The argument sets itself apart from the victim blaming that happens with rape victims.

Several people in this thread have made the distinction more eloquently than myself - I would look to them for clarification.
    What value do you see in pointing out that they played a role in escalation; if he hadn't died and there was a court case, would it be relevant? Regardless of the escalation, the couple were not escalating while laying on the ground bleeding to death, when he came back out and shot them, after he'd had a significant amount of time to think through what he was doing.

Perhaps we could have all benefited from your wisdom had you posted this EARLIER. I know I could have.
    (just attempting a little humor in case it comes off differently)
    It didn't seem a very substantive contribution at the time

"Everyone Sucks Here"
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Found another article, adding to the backstory:

Neighbors told investigators that Spaide and the Goys had been engaged in a long-running feud that reached a boiling point on the snowiest day of the year.

"The Goys were shoveling the snow from their parking spots, shoveling the snow across the road, and throwing the snow onto Spaide’s property," Salavantis and Binker said in their statement.

Witnesses told investigators that Spaide asked the couple to stop, sparking a heated exchange of words. James Goy apparently threw a tool at Spaide that he had been using to clear snow from his car, according to the statement. When James Goy approached Spaide with a raised fist, Spaide reportedly retreated into his house and fetched a gun, the officials said.
    Interesting. The act of violence from the couple I had not heard about. Apparently, they escalated the violence first. Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It didn't seem a very substantive contribution at the time

"Everyone Sucks Here"
    Lol, good point. I kind of wonder if this stuff has always happened, but we just hear about it more (thanks to media being everywhere now and social media too) or if there is a general escalation of societal violence.