Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    There's no melee arcane archetype in lore that i know of.
    Literally just mentioned in a previous post that this was one of the representations missing.

Holy spell dps would be the Discipline Priest or a 4th Paladin spec.
    Disc, despite it's more dps-lite presentation, is still a healing spec. So in order for it to be an actual
    DPS spec, they'd have to rework it in order to better fit that role.

4th spec is never going to happen, so let's not even bother bringing it up.

There's no melee fire archetype in lore that i know of except for Shamans.
    Enhancement Shamans have very little melee fire damage. They're still more Nature DMG
    oriented with some sprinkling of Frost and Fire thrown in. I believe a more dedicated
    Fire Melee class is needed.

Class additions are more than just missing magic school classes.
    Outside of archetypal classes based off of existing RPG games, in WoW's case, not really.

They are usually based on missing famous archetypes like the Death Knight, Monk and Demon Hunter.
    In terms of lore, yes. But with new lore, you get new "classes" or at least potential classes and specs. Now that all
    (for the most part) hero classes have been shown all that's left are just them coming up with new shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Literally just mentioned in a previous post that this was one of the representations missing.
    I know. But, you can't just invent one on the spot.
    On a second thought, perhaps the Spellbreaker is.

4th spec is never going to happen, so let's not even bother bringing it up.
    Why?

Enhancement Shamans have very little melee fire damage. They're still more Nature DMG
    oriented with some sprinkling of Frost and Fire thrown in. I believe a more dedicated
    Fire Melee class is needed.
    I believe they should just expand the melee fire aspect of the Shaman.

Outside of archetypal classes based off of existing RPG games, in WoW's case, not really.
    Yes, it is. Did Monks bring a melee version of a spell school?

Now that all (for the most part) hero classes have been shown all that's left are just them coming up with new shit.
    Huh?

Are you suggesting all classes have been accounted for?
    I'm tempted to apply for a moderator position, just so i can go moderator on your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    Bards could actually be the holy ranged dps class. That would be way more interesting than another holy spec for priests or pallies.
    I thought about doing this as all, but instead went the arcane/nature route. From my concept, sound magic is an element and so therefore part of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    It's just more the whole set up that there's a whole cosmic and dire reason that why Bards must come together what doesn't sit well with me I think.
    I understand, however, I think they would need to do something drastic like that to explain why Bards… 1) are suddenly needed and 2) why they’ve been absent in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I do think a more plausible Bard class would be the more Librarian/Storyteller concept than the musical based one. Deckard Cain in HotS is probably the most serious Bard-like character Blizzard has ever made, and unlike the standard Bard concept, I can see a class with Cain's abilities actually working within WoW's trinity system.
    You do recognize though that Lorewalkers do sing, right? Apparently, a singing spell is even listed as one of Lorewalker Cho’s abilities. That’s why I think using him as part of the wow Bard identity would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    The last thing we need is another melee spec for the 3 raid spot and permanent ranged favoring raid design. Turn their third spec into a tank.

Otherwise nice job but mehhhh idea, i don't see how it belongs in the WoW universe.

Also if they balance it around the supporting buffs then it will be a shitty dps/healer to compensate, see FFXIV where bard is a joke
    I feel like the next class should offer at least 2 ranged specs. So this Bard class would come AFTER whatever blizzard made as the next class. Unless, you make a bard concept that offers two ranged specs which is possible. A Bard tanking doesn’t feel right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Oh god, i hope PI gets reworked and/or removed.
    I asked this question before but nobody answered. I don’t play retail anymore so I’m in the dark. Is Windfury Totem still a thing and as powerful for melee as it is in TBC: Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by damonskye View Post
    To the OP:

This is remarkable. Best fan-created class concept I have EVER seen. Blizzard should take notice.
    Thank you so much! Please also check out my Necromancer concept. It was recently bumped!

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    Op this is amazing. I hope you get someone at some game company to take note of your ideas.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    While the OP has done a great job indeed
    Thank you!

Looking at the spells and imagining them work around every other class, one soon realizes this makes no sense whatsoever. Every spell is meaningful and overpowered. Choice is "what godmode will I be today".
    When developing concepts, I absolutely try to think of spells that are meaningful and also synergistic with the rest of the class’s toolkit. I also try and think of spells and mechanics that no other class offers. I think those elements get confused for as overpowered. All spells should be meaningful imo - perhaps you could point out what you felt was too overpowered? I’d love the feedback!

However, Bards don't belong in wow. "Music" was never a part of the game in terms of having it affect the gameplay etc. Almost 2 decades later it just makes no sense. Thanks for the effort though, a quality post nonetheless.
    But music and sonic abilities are found in game, and they’re an untapped mechanic that’s not heavily utilized by any class. How does that not warrant the Bard’s potential introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Stuff like that.

Overall though I'm in love with the concept, especially the magician spec there's nothing in WoW that lets you play as a trickster and I would love to play as a trickster.
    I get what you’re saying about using lesser known lore figures for abilities. I had to think of figures to use for both factions. It felt fitting to use figures that were mostly considered “villains” but also had ties to either Alliance or Horde.

And thank you for the Magician spec appreciation! It’s one of my favorites too and the one I actually had the most fun developing!!

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Alright here is my take. I might move it to my own thread, if I ever am motivated to make a neat presentation, with icons and illustrations.
    This is definitely a campier version which I was afraid of doing but who knows, maybe this is more of what people want in a WoW Bard. I’d love to see a fully fleshed out concept from you and see how people react to it. The abilities, mechanics, and specs seem super fun. I may steal some if I ever develop talents! Haha. Your spell “Do it from behind” might be a little overboard though!

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    This is definitely a campier version which I was afraid of doing but who knows, maybe this is more of what people want in a WoW Bard. I’d love to see a fully fleshed out concept from you and see how people react to it. The abilities, mechanics, and specs seem super fun. I may steal some if I ever develop talents! Haha. Your spell “Do it from behind” might be a little overboard though!

I think you can find people to love both versions, really. The only thing I'd "reproach" is that it was too much tied to the very classical and expected interpretation of the Bard. I put mine completely as the opposite, pouring more Warcraft (as a studio) history into it.

But given that most of the old metalheads from the studio must be gone by now, your interpretation might be the most present on a brainstorming tableboard. The old tube like "Rogues do it from behind" or "I am Murloc" could very well just be cameo for names or features.

Congrats on your work anyways !

I get the feeling that the only way we'd ever get a Bard is if they fully embraced the "ETC" vision with all the camp and silliness that comes with it. From its inception, rock and humour have been woven into the very fabric of the franchise. A D&D Bard wouldn't feel like it belongs in WarCraft, nor would it feel like a D&D Bard since WoW doesn't have a support role. They'd need to take a page from HotS and just embrace that ETC spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I get the feeling that the only way we'd ever get a Bard is if they fully embraced the "ETC" vision with all the camp and silliness that comes with it. From its inception, rock and humour have been woven into the very fabric of the franchise. A D&D Bard wouldn't feel like it belongs in WarCraft, nor would it feel like a D&D Bard since WoW doesn't have a support role. They'd need to take a page from HotS and just embrace that ETC spirit.
    I agree that a D&D bard is a poor fit, but I don't think that necessitates going campy. I think the problem is in people trying to apply existing external concepts of Bard to wow, rather than taking the most fundamental concepts of the archetype and implementing them in the game's existing design space.

I think one way to take inspiration from D&D here would be to adopt the concept of the Harpers from the Forgotten Realms. While they aren't solely Bards, the majority of the organization is, and could be the based off of something similar in WoW. Instead of being all about support, the Harpers (in the novelizations) were more about doing cool stuff with music based magic, and being a secretive(ish) organization that fought for good.

I think any Bard addition to WoW would inevitably have some level of camp in it, but I'd love to see it be done in at least a serious enough manner that they don't just default to a gag class.

It would feel out of place.
    I'm tempted to apply for a moderator position, just so i can go moderator on your asses.

People out here going "it would feel out of place" even though we had an entire expansion inspired by asian culture and architecture despite WoW rarely if never having featured those inspirations before.

This is a non-issue, Pandaria is as much part of the Warcraft universe now as anything else, the same would happen to Bards.
    Corporate wishes everyone a happy new year

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It would feel out of place.
    Relative to what? The literal traveling rock groups that exist in-game already?

I could also say that Tinkers and Necromancers would feel out of place. But I wouldn't, because I can acknowledge that reality and my personal preferences can be different.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    People out here going "it would feel out of place" even though we had an entire expansion inspired by asian culture and architecture despite WoW rarely if never having featured those inspirations before.

This is a non-issue, Pandaria is as much part of the Warcraft universe now as anything else, the same would happen to Bards.
    Ancient asia, as opposed to the modern Rock n' Roll, meshes with a mostly mythology-based game.

Relative to what? The literal traveling rock groups that exist in-game already?

I could also say that Tinkers and Necromancers would feel out of place. But I wouldn't, because I can acknowledge that reality and my personal preferences can be different.
    Necromancers and Tinkers are not a modern gag put into the game.

Bards are already a part of WoW lore, and have been since Warcraft 3.

(at 1:04)

Tinkers are 100% a gag. And 100% canon. Those are not mutually exclusive.

More bard lore from Warcraft 3:

(at 1:22)

Tinkers are 100% a gag. And 100% canon. Those are not mutually exclusive.
    How much lore is there for the Rock n' Roll bards?

just by the amount of elf and human pictures here i say no.

don't mind bard, the concept is ok, if its not just a support and more of a full spellcaster like D&D now, but be more inclusive, not everyone play elves and humans in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    just by the amount of elf and human pictures here i say no.

don't mind bard, the concept is ok, if its not just a support and more of a full spellcaster like D&D now, but be more inclusive, not everyone play elves and humans in wow.
    Lol it’s not my fault most fan art for Bard consists of Humans and Elves, but look through again and you can find a Draenei, Worgen, and what I’d categorize a Dwarf and Forsaken.

This is not a medieval game. It’s not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    Lol it’s not my fault most fan art for Bard consists of Humans and Elves.
    there is plenty of others fanarts for bards from other races, you can even filter for D&D and you can find things like orcs, gnomes even goblins

by example.

but look through again and you can find a Draenei, Worgen, and what I’d categorize a Dwarf and Forsaken.
    yeah, but its like one between 20, game is saturated of elves already with demon hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    yeah, but its like one between 20, game is saturated of elves already with demon hunters
    There you go: