Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pvp gearing system

To me the perfect gearing system is so obvious, im just posting it here to see if i am being retarded.

So, firstly we sorta go back to WOD, all pvp gear scales to a specific ilvl in rated pvp instances. All conquest gear scales to the same level. However, the actual ilvl outside of rated pvp still depends on rating.

So for example, a 1200 rated player will still get 200ilvl gear by conquest to use everywhere in the world - but in rated pvp his ilvl scales to 226, this means everyone competes at the same level once they farmed their pvp gear - just as pvp should be. However, a person at 2.5k will still compete at 226 ilvl, he just also earns 226ilvl gear to use everywhere else, actually rewarding higher rating with gear for every other aspect of the game (and currently there actually is stuff to do in the world, so its worth it, and it keeps pvp gear attractive for pvers).

This, to me, is the only way you can keep the idea of better gear with higher rating while also making sure that everyone competes at the same level once the base grind has been done.

Only downside is that scaling gear usually isnt that well liked. (to ensure you can compete with honour gear, maybe make it scale to 205 or something)

Numbers are obviously just an example from the current season.

Am i missing something, would this have any glaring faults?

Quote Originally Posted by Meowtwo View Post
    To me the perfect gearing system is so obvious, im just posting it here to see if i am being retarded.

So, firstly we sorta go back to WOD, all pvp gear scales to a specific ilvl in rated pvp instances. All conquest gear scales to the same level. However, the actual ilvl outside of rated pvp still depends on rating.

So for example, a 1200 rated player will still get 200ilvl gear by conquest to use everywhere in the world - but in rated pvp his ilvl scales to 226, this means everyone competes at the same level once they farmed their pvp gear - just as pvp should be. However, a person at 2.5k will still compete at 226 ilvl, he just also earns 226ilvl gear to use everywhere else, actually rewarding higher rating with gear for every other aspect of the game (and currently there actually is stuff to do in the world, so its worth it, and it keeps pvp gear attractive for pvers).

This, to me, is the only way you can keep the idea of better gear with higher rating while also making sure that everyone competes at the same level once the base grind has been done.

Only downside is that scaling gear usually isnt that well liked. (to ensure you can compete with honour gear, maybe make it scale to 205 or something)

I kinda liked Legion in this regard; cut out the middle man and just give templates in those places were fair competition is desired.
    But yeah this could work too.

Thing is though that plenty of pve people do not like being confronted with not actually being good once their ilvl advantage is taken away, and that many people without it depend on it as well for their hope of one day being able to beat better players, even if that's unlikely to happen.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah I mean why would serious PvPers even do anything other than rated PvP? They'd never touch any other aspect of the game, including regular battlegrounds, with zero gear incentive. PvP gear would become relevant mostly for PvE content.

It basically entirely removes the progression aspect of PvP. It would be kind of strange to have PvE gear scale to 226 (or whatever) as soon as you step foot inside a mythic raid.

I'd like that. Just how it should be imo.
    I like games like Guild Wars 2 that handle it kind of like that: Everyone can chose the same gear for instanced PVP. What matters are Builds, Skill and Comps.
    But yeah, we probably never going to see that in World of Gearcraft 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    They've tested the gearing in pvp as scaling and also random scale up like Legion and BFA

Every single person who played the game for either one hated both

The only way to make people happy is with the system they have in place now

Take away the carrot on a stick and you'll see no reason to play the game, Blizz has had literally 16.3 Years to perfect the system, and this is what they have.

If you dont want to arena or rated bg for high gear that's completely up to you, but I promise this has already been talked about to death and if blizz goes back and changes it back to a naked toon having literally the same scale as someone base line and I spend 4 months on a set and you're only .15% less powerful as a naked trollface nub in the corner lol'ing - somethings wrong.

Honestly I don't even know how I feel about gear anymore.

Was doing games with a 175 ilvl Aff Lock friend and at 1500mmr we'd be fighting 226 people with 40k health, so on the one hand that's kind of insane and not that fun, but on the other hand we still won way more games than we lost and got to 1600mmr and got him to 1430cr in 21 games. So yeah, I mean something should be done about gear because it's really disheartening being 10k health below your opponents, but at the same time if your opponents are that geared and still losing they kind of need all the help they can get.

I think a lot of people in the 1600ish range would quit if gear was equalized because they mostly only win because they outgear their opponents so much. Especially people who are 2100 in RBGs but stuck in the 1600 range in arenas. Those are the people that would be against it scaling, because they rely on their gear to win.

I think the majority of top players would want gear to be scaled because at 2400+ everyone is 227 ilvl anyway so it only helps their alts, and I think low rated players would want gear scaled because then they won't feel like they're just losing because of gear, but all those mid tier players that lose against equally geared opponents and beat the ones they outgear probably like the current system a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Yeah I mean why would serious PvPers even do anything other than rated PvP? They'd never touch any other aspect of the game, including regular battlegrounds, with zero gear incentive. PvP gear would become relevant mostly for PvE content.

It basically entirely removes the progression aspect of PvP. It would be kind of strange to have PvE gear scale to 226 (or whatever) as soon as you step foot inside a mythic raid.
    You still have the old progession of get honour gear via honour, then farm conquest to get conquest gear. And then you still got the legendary, covenant stuff etc. So plenty of progression. Just no longer once you are conquest capped (at least gear wise).

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    I kinda liked Legion in this regard; cut out the middle man and just give templates in those places were fair competition is desired.
    But yeah this could work too.

Thing is though that plenty of pve people do not like being confronted with not actually being good once their ilvl advantage is taken away, and that many people without it depend on it as well for their hope of one day being able to beat better players, even if that's unlikely to happen.
    Templates was the best thing for competitive PvP but Blizzard wants to attract casual players so they won't go back to it

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    They've tested the gearing in pvp as scaling and also random scale up like Legion and BFA

The only way to make people happy is with the system they have in place now

Take away the carrot on a stick and you'll see no reason to play the game, Blizz has had literally 16.3 Years to perfect the system, and this is what they have.

If you dont want to arena or rated bg for high gear that's completely up to you, but I promise this has already been talked about to death and if blizz goes back and changes it back to a naked toon having literally the same scale as someone base line and I spend 4 months on a set and you're only .15% less powerful as a naked trollface nub in the corner lol'ing - somethings wrong.
    Iirc people generally liked wod gearing, the problems with that was the expansion was bad, the pvp was scripted and ashran being mandetory for some classes. MOP gearing (later on) was very well liked as well, but that had no rewards for higher rating bar higher rating.

They already tried removing gear progression from pvp, and it killed pvp.

The current meta is scuffed, bad people with good gear, are fumbling around 1400-1800 rating, but even so, pvp is more popular than ever.

Outplaying your opponents is still a thing, but gearing alts this late in the expansion is going to be a uphill battle, unless you supplement your gear with m+/raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    They already tried removing gear progression from pvp, and it killed pvp.

The current meta is scuffed, bad people with good gear, are fumbling around 1400-1800 rating, but even so, pvp is more popular than ever.

Outplaying your opponents is still a thing, but gearing alts this late in the expansion is going to be a uphill battle, unless you supplement your gear with m+/raids.
    Pvp was extremely popular in MOP though, with 0 progression bar honour -> conquest.

Pvp was extremely popular in MOP though, with 0 progression bar honour -> conquest.
    in mop, pvp gear was still just below heroic raid gear, and weapons afaik was still locked behind 1800 rating. So there was still a form of progression to go through, lowgeared bubs still got smacked.

MoP is pretty close to what we got today, bar the upgradesystem in shadowlands, which creates a 26 ilvl disparity between fresh chars and people who already hit 1800-2100

in mop, pvp gear was still just below heroic raid gear, and weapons afaik was still locked behind 1800 rating. So there was still a form of progression to go through, lowgeared bubs still got smacked.

MoP is pretty close to what we got today, bar the upgradesystem in shadowlands, which creates a 26 ilvl disparity between fresh chars and people who already hit 1800-2100
    Weapons werent locked. And yeah, thats pretty much what i want, that system but that the 26ilvl scale up inside the arena or an rbg so that new players can compete on the count of gear.

Personally i dont really like PvP templates, i enjoy absolutely destroying someone in a BG because i have a full 220 set, and he doesnt, how PvP currently works in SL is probably my favorite since WotLK, for rated PvP i wouldnt be that opposed to it, but i still think it`s more fun when you actually get some use out of your hard earned gear

Quote Originally Posted by Scifix View Post
    Personally i dont really like PvP templates, i enjoy absolutely destroying someone in a BG because i have a full 220 set, and he doesnt, how PvP currently works in SL is probably my favorite since WotLK, for rated PvP i wouldnt be that opposed to it, but i still think it`s more fun when you actually get some use out of your hard earned gear
    wouldnt it be more fun if skill is what decided the outcome of a fight, not how much gear you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    wouldnt it be more fun if skill is what decided the outcome of a fight, not how much gear you have?
    in league or counterstrike maybe, but wow is a game about character progression, a large part of the reason people try to push rating is to improve their characters.

If we move back to templates, wow pvp just becomes a scuffed dota minigame. With no relevance to the rest of the wow content. If you want a hero arena game, go play league, smite or any other game that focuses on templates and making the game fair.

in an mmo, wow especially gear progression is at the heart of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post

Scaling was hated cause it didnt work right. It made undergeared people stronger than overgeared. That was the issue, not the existence of a scaling system.

in league or counterstrike maybe, but wow is a game about character progression, a large part of the reason people try to push rating is to improve their characters.

If we move back to templates, wow pvp just becomes a scuffed dota minigame. With no relevance to the rest of the wow content. If you want a hero arena game, go play league, smite or any other game that focuses on templates and making the game fair.

in an mmo, wow especially gear progression is at the heart of it.
    league is a moba, not arena game
    if there was a game like wow's arena i would def move to it and so would many ppl
    i dont get ppl who play to get gear, gear is just pixels

Even in games like LoL or CS you have elements of progression. Each kill gives you gold / cash which allows to get stronger than your opposition.

PvP participation has soared in Shadowlands, it's obvious the scaling template didn't work / was bad for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotural View Post
    Even in games like LoL or CS you have elements of progression. Each kill gives you gold / cash which allows to get stronger than your opposition.

PvP participation has soared in Shadowlands, it's obvious the scaling template didn't work / was bad for the game.
    pvp numbers soaring because blizzard made it mandatory to pvp for raid progress is not a good indicator at all