Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Philadelphia cops demanding a 5% "accountability bonus pay" for wearing Body Cams.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210209.html

What the fuckity fuck?

A 5% “accountability pay” boost for wearing body cameras. A 5% residency differential for living within city limits. A $2,400 annual clothing and maintenance allowance. Triple overtime for appearing in court for two consecutive days an officer would normally have off.
    Most of the other items on the list are reasonable, I think. Assuming their uniforms aren't issued and maintained by the department.

But expecting to be paid extra for wearing a body cam is absolutely 100% bullshit.

I swear to God, cops in the US are just incorrigible.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about fuck you?

What they need to do is amend legislation such that there is no presumption of innocence for police officers, so if they want to argue that any particular use of violence in the course of their work was justifiable, the onus is on that officer. A body cam is a great way to produce such evidence. No body cam footage to exonerate you? Then we have to assume that the perp wasn't resisting arrest and that you slugged them for no reason. That's not just a firing, that's assault and battery, and you're going to prison for it.

Fuck the idea that you should get paid more for basic accountability.

Overtime for having to appear in court during days off, however, is reasonable. Not triple overtime, but overtime at least.

Also, a "residency differential" if you live in the city you police? Fuckno. In fact, let's require that officers live in the areas they police, period. Maybe the PD would need to retain apartments for officers to ensure they can do so and aren't spending all their time hunting for a new place when they get shuffled around, but that's doable.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-02-10 at 08:03 PM.

10% pay cut and no OT for being bitches

10+ Year Old Account
    How about a bonus pink slip for not wearing the body cam instead, rofl. Retail workers don't get a bonus for working in a panopticon, neither should these snowflake cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

I swear to God, cops in the US are just incorrigible.
    Unions baby!

Found the list - https://fop5.org/wp-content/uploads/...l-12.30.20.pdf

Fuck your 3 year contract. It's easier sure, but we need annual contracts while sorting out issues with police.
    Annual wage increase - Sure, as a general concept. Keep up with inflation and whatnot.
    Stress differential - I...is this commonplace for higher stress jobs? If so, sure.
    1% annual bonus of your base salary per-year for longevity? I guess as a retention tool, but gotta get rid of bad cops, first.
    Accountability pay - Fuck you. Literally, fuck you.
    Residency pay - See above.
    Tech allowance - Fuck off. Give the department budget for official devices, then. I'm not keen to subsidize cops getting a new iPhone every year because they "need" it for their jobs.
    Clothing/maintenance allowance - Fuck off, write that shit off in taxes like everyone else does. Uniforms are provided, you're not wearing shit you bought at Target.

The rest is getting into the weeds, but some of these asks are horse shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about a "Doing your job" bonus. It's called "your entire salary" and it comes with the caveat that you do your job the way you're fucking told to or you go get a new job.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    How about a "Doing your job" bonus. It's called "your entire salary" and it comes with the caveat that you do your job the way you're fucking told to or you go get a new job.
    BUT WHAT IF I DON'T WANNA?!!!!
    *stamps feet*

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    5% 'accountability' pay increase? Y'know what, sure, but only if turning off a body cam, covering it, or interfering with the cameras on location (like turning them away) is considered intent to commit a felony. Someone dies and the cameras are off? Instant first degree murder.

Paying them extra for wearing a body cam when they just turn the thing off any time they want to break laws anyway is a non-starter.

This whole thing is like the biggest middle finger cops can come up with.

It's literally - Want us not to break the law while enforcing the law? Better pay us extra!

10+ Year Old Account

It's literally - Want us not to break the law while enforcing the law? Better pay us extra!
    Better defund the police. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Honestly, it should be a 5% pay cut for even suggesting it, with the 5% cut removed at the end of their annual pay periods if they're found to be in compliance with all body came guidelines and rules.

Don't want to be accountable? Hit them where it hurts. They're accountable? Cool, no worries bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Oh, you better pay us more to be accountable."

Imagine thinking that, because you have to wear a body camera, it makes it harder to do your job or somehow it makes the civilians you deal with more difficult for you to deal with.

"Ayyyeee this pig wearin' a body cam! TikTok dance on his ass."

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    5% 'accountability' pay increase? Y'know what, sure, but only if turning off a body cam, covering it, or interfering with the cameras on location (like turning them away) is considered intent to commit a felony. Someone dies and the cameras are off? Instant first degree murder.

Paying them extra for wearing a body cam when they just turn the thing off any time they want to break laws anyway is a non-starter.
    Ooh I like this idea! Except for the the accountability pay increase.

And they never turn them off! Those are just tech issues!!!!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    "Accountability bonus" has a terrible ring to it.

This is one of those topics where I teeter between putting a government camera everywhere(security state) or getting rid of most all of them(privacy state). I'd prefer the latter but there's a lot of advantages in recording as much as possible.

Sure.

Give them a pay bump for "accountability".

And then fine them for every infraction.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

*shrugs*
    I'd be surprised if they don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post
    BUT WHAT IF I DON'T WANNA?!!!!
    *stamps feet*
    5% bonus for compliance.
    -100% bonus for non-compliance.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wouldn’t be against them getting a clothing allowance. Military get it. I don’t think they need that much, though.
    Like, I can imagine a scenario where the clothing allowance comes into play, like specialized seasonal gear winter/rain, training gear, additional safety gear etc. I work and have worked in the private sector in industries where there was a clothing/equipment allowance for those reasons. Again, assuming the department doesn't issue and maintain all relevant gear.

I'm even reasonable on the triple overtime in the conditions described...like if you have two consecutive days off, and you have been summoned to court on both of those, you practically have no off days. I think that's reasonable.

And even on the residency differential I can understand where they come from. Living inside the city can often be more expensive than living in the burbs. Especially in a place like New York, San Francisco, LA, Boston, DC and perhaps Philly.

But the "accountability bonus" just go fuck yourself with that. Are you expecting a bonus to not break the law while on the job of enforcing the law? Like what?

isnt the problem body cams arent silver bullets especially as alot of the worst police violence gets recorded (look at the portland protests and well george floyd) and it still doesnt do much. Even filming cops killing someone only gets them slaps on the wrist.

this is gross tho, the cops in the US do just seem like heavily armed militias who dont want any accountability.