Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Everything is fine. If you want the projected textures on, turn them on.
    The issue is OP didn't know you needed to. How is ANYONE supposed to know that you're missing essential details unless you read about it, or stumble upon it by accident like OP did? He's new to the game. This is clearly an issue, you're either acting entitled or you're dumb as f.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAld View Post
    The issue is OP didn't know you needed to. How is ANYONE supposed to know that you're missing essential details unless you read about it, or stumble upon it by accident like OP did? He's new to the game. This is clearly an issue, you're either acting entitled or you're dumb as f.
    I wanted to improve so I randomly watchied a streamer who was doing HoA and I was shocked to discover swirlies on the ground, before my only strategy was to wait for a random amount of time when DBM gave me a warning, like, I had no idea, just waited 4 seconds or something.

In fact today in HoA I discovered that the third boss has swirlies on the floor I literally had no idea they were there!!! Up to this time I had been standing in swirlies that DBM doesn't give a warning, I guess that is a "non-essential" because it doesn't kill you? I'm discovring more and more...

He's saying all graphics must be on the lowest possible setting WHEN YOU TEST WHAT HE'S SAYING. He's not saying his graphics have to be on the lowest. Learn to f'ing read.
    Either the entire group of posters replying to OP needs to l2r or you are one big troll.

If you can't play wow on the lowest settings I don't know what to tell you. Upgrade?

Entitled is expecting to run the game with all the visual features enabled on a pc well below the recommended requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    You're punished in any (clearly not any, but almost) game for playing on the lowest settings. It's been like that forever. How can you expect to play on the lowest settings AND have everything showing the same as on higher settings?
    Duh. Blizzard could instead just show a brown circle, one plain color. Would make it super easy to see and no performance cost.

Also im sure that Blizzard could programm an easy to see swirly that costs no performance, but isn't as nice. Then use the generic ugly swirly for effects like this.
    Last edited by GnomeEU; 2021-02-13 at 12:08 AM.

Makes me happy to see some folks defending the OP. I feel where he's coming from and I'm in that situation a bit myself. Not everyone is in a financial situation that lets them upgrade their PCs nilly-willy. Not everyone is so tech-savvy as to know exactly what to do to upgrade.

I'm currently out of WoW because of such an upgrade attempt. I saw the writing on the wall before Shadowlands was released, and how utterly beautiful and detailed zones like Ardenweald would be. So when I got my COVID stimulus check, the first bit of money I had in years, I attempted to upgrade by buying a new video card. I went with the suggestion that antoher forum gave me. It ended up basically destroying my computer, and when I needed help with that issue, the forum basically just abandoned me. So now I'm currently sitting here, 230 dollars shorter, my computer jury-rigged to my TV with no video card, only really able to watch Youtube and play P99 EverQuest because it's about the only game it can handle now.

Stop attacking the OP for his computer, it's not always as easy for some as it might be for you.

Stfu and buy a better GPU

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    Makes me happy to see some folks defending the OP. I feel where he's coming from and I'm in that situation a bit myself. Not everyone is in a financial situation that lets them upgrade their PCs nilly-willy. Not everyone is so tech-savvy as to know exactly what to do to upgrade.

I'm currently out of WoW because of such an upgrade attempt. I saw the writing on the wall before Shadowlands was released, and how utterly beautiful and detailed zones like Ardenweald would be. So when I got my COVID stimulus check, the first bit of money I had in years, I attempted to upgrade by buying a new video card. I went with the suggestion that antoher forum gave me. It ended up basically destroying my computer, and when I needed help with that issue, the forum basically just abandoned me. So now I'm currently sitting here, 230 dollars shorter, my computer jury-rigged to my TV with no video card, only really able to watch Youtube and play P99 EverQuest because it's about the only game it can handle now.

Stop attacking the OP for his computer, it's not always as easy for some as it might be for you.
    So just to be clear - the first money you had in "years" went on parts for a computer?

I would be interested in how a simple gpu swap "destroyed" your pc?

I feel there is a LOT more to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    Either the entire group of posters replying to OP needs to l2r or you are one big troll.
    He literally said 'you can test this if you want to. All graphics must be on lowest'

Not my fault most people on these forums are smooth brained.

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeEU View Post
    Duh. Blizzard could instead just show a brown circle, one plain color. Would make it super easy to see and no performance cost.

Also im sure that Blizzard could programm an easy to see swirly that costs no performance, but isn't as nice. Then use the generic ugly swirly for effects like this.
    The fact you think a brown (why is the colour important?) Swirl would cost "no performance" means you are not at all knowledgeable at all in regards to this topic.

if you cant play with projected textures enabled, its time to get a new pc or quit wow

Entitled is expecting to run the game with all the visual features enabled on a pc well below the recommended requirements.
    And yet you don't refute the argument I or the OP put forth, you're entirely missing the issue. Again, learn to read.

So just to be clear - the first money you had in "years" went on parts for a computer?

I would be interested in how a simple gpu swap "destroyed" your pc?

I feel there is a LOT more to this story.
    Among other things, yes. It's not like the entire check went on the computer though.

I ended up buying a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER card for my computer. It replaced the janky 650 one I had for years. I put it in and it worked great for the first day, WoW was beautiful as hell and I spent a lot of that day just flying around with the settings up high.

Next day though I couldn't load up anything for 5 minutes before the computer would just randomly restart itself. Tried to get help for the issue, tried every little possible thing folks would suggest. Nothing worked. Even shipped my computer to a guildy in the next state over to see if he could fix it. He sent it back, it worked fine for a day, then the same problems arose. Now I'm sitting here browsing forums and playing EverQuest.

There's the story.

Yeah, the Blizz really screwed up by turning projected textures off by default if you set your graphics on anything low. It's really just a new player trap. And for what? Showing where a spot of fire isn't exactly graphically intensive yet is easily one of the most important things a player should be able to see on the screen.

And yes, it's been broken like this for years. Welcome to Blizzard games.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2021-02-13 at 01:55 AM.

Not reading through the entire thread, so someone may have mentioned this. Projected textures must be turned on to see most floor abilities. A long time ago, it was a resource hog, probably because the method originally used was horribly coded. There is zero impact on resources if you turn on projected textures. You can keep all other settings low.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    Among other things, yes. It's not like the entire check went on the computer though.

I ended up buying a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER card for my computer. It replaced the janky 650 one I had for years. I put it in and it worked great for the first day, WoW was beautiful as hell and I spent a lot of that day just flying around with the settings up high.

Next day though I couldn't load up anything for 5 minutes before the computer would just randomly restart itself. Tried to get help for the issue, tried every little possible thing folks would suggest. Nothing worked. Even shipped my computer to a guildy in the next state over to see if he could fix it. He sent it back, it worked fine for a day, then the same problems arose. Now I'm sitting here browsing forums and playing EverQuest.

There's the story.
    Destroyed your computer? Just put the 650 back in.

Destroyed your computer? Just put the 650 back in.
    I was an idiot and threw it out. It was old, dusty, and ragged anyhow. I honestly didn't think I would need it anymore. It was the first time I had attempted a massive project like this.

I'm only posting my story to show that computer upgrading isn't easy for everyone. I was someone with a limited computer knowledge and I was honestly afraid going into it. And it turns out I had every reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Not reading through the entire thread, so someone may have mentioned this. Projected textures must be turned on to see most floor abilities. A long time ago, it was a resource hog, probably because the method originally used was horribly coded. There is zero impact on resources if you turn on projected textures. You can keep all other settings low.
    Been mentioned many times, but apparantly it's blizzards fault everything isn't turned on by default when you lower the settings so low. There is no issue here, you just turn it on.

Fact is, these pcs do not meet blizzards recommended settings and that is the key issue here. This isn't new, it's been around since the dawn of pc gaming - if you drop the settings to low, you will be getting sniped by snipers you can't see, passed by a car that never even appeared in your rearview mirror, and generally speaking, you will have a bad time.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeEU View Post

Why would you be rewarded intentionally (by having easier to see/manage effects) for having lower settings?
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.