Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It can't be done. We are already the "Hero" that have dealt with gods and infinite armies. You can't just not be that anymore.

But anyway, it has never been like that. Sure you started dealing with small tasks but WoW has always been a fight between interdimensional beings. Even in vanilla.
    Last edited by javierdsv; 2021-02-13 at 05:32 AM.

Exile's reach is terrible.

Exiles Reach and the old starting zones start off with you as a simple dude. Current WoW's story, AKA Shadowlands has you as the Maw Walker AKA the Champion of Azeroth, and with good reason.

Why should we downgrade after all the shit we've done? That's inconsistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    It can't be done. We are already the "Hero" that have dealt with gods and infinite armies. You can't just not be that anymore.

But anyway, it has never been like that. Sure you started dealing with small tasks but WoW has always been a fight between interdimensional beings. Even in vanilla.
    In Vanilla, we literally kill C'Thun after leading our armies against the Silithid, Qiraji, and co of AQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I wouldn't even need dragons, frankly.
    I'd be more than happy with dealing with local threats such as Gnolls, bandits, politics etc. I'm actually taking a break from getting every class to 60 in order to just enjoy some more grounded themes on a Heritage armor character for a couple of days.

Not jumping on the same bandwagon as others in the thread are riding, but I'd be 100% up for less C O S M I C P O W E R stuff come 10.0.
    Could not agree more! But now we're all superheroes.

Exile's reach is an appropriate "old school D&D" feel because it's meant to be your introduction to an adventure.

Shadowlands is an epic level adventure in another dimension. You don't ask epic level characters to do newbie things.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Could not agree more! But now we're all superheroes.
    Yeah we have been that since Vanilla, you think normal people could have beaten even the first boss in Molten core.

Some of yall probably watch DBZ to see goku farm raddishs

10+ Year Old Account
    Way too late for that. Some boxes can't be closed such as flying, lfg and us being azooroth's champyuns.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Agree totally. Cosmic war sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    The issue is that WoW's writing team is convinced that they're true geniuses who can go toe to toe with the best writers out there (they're not),so they want to make some deep intricate story to show their talent.

If they were actually good,it'd still feel off for WoW,but they're not.

Going back to something simpler like Exile's Reach would be better for the game,and would work even with the current writing team honestly
    Weird post. What makes you think they think they're the best writers out there? Or are you just being overly salty about something and feel the need to vent your frustrations with weird posts?
    Hi

Exiles Reach had some of the worst story telling in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Exile's Reach feels grounded and relatable. You're a soldier with a small makeshift camp, rallying some allies and scouting the zone. You then deal with an Ogre problem and uncover some use of necromancy that ends in a fight with a dragon.
    i mean its fine but i wouldnt call it "grounded" especialy for the dragon part...
    you shipwreck there as nobody and an hour later you are killing a dragon with just couple more "people"....seems likea huge jump for just opening zone, if you think about it that was pretty much whole vanila "power progres" (when was first actual dragon boss, at lvl 50+ in ST? ) and its crammed to just first few levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i mean its fine but i wouldnt call it "grounded" especialy for the dragon part...
    you shipwreck there as nobody and an hour later you are killing a dragon with just couple more "people"....seems likea huge jump for just opening zone, if you think about it that was pretty much whole vanila "power progres" (when was first actual dragon boss, at lvl 50+ in ST? ) and its crammed to just first few levels...
    It's still retail, you need that hack&slash feeling of killing big shiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    It's still retail, you need that hack&slash feeling of killing big shiny stuff.
    sure, but do you need it in opening zone? ogre himself would be better boss i think, or if dragon actualy killed you and fly away while you corpse run, so you can deal with him later (as a world boss or tiny raid for example)

even if so, the OP was about returning story to "grounded" level, and then giving example of Exile's Reach which is not grounded at all, thats what my objection was

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    That's one of the reasons i love earlier WoW, where we're a random adventurer dealing with bandits, marauders, armies, etc... now every threat has to be -world ending-, and that's just gets boring eventually.
    Yeah Hakkar returning wasn't world end.... oh. Well Ragnaros didn't threaten the end of... oh. Well I mean nefarion didn't plan to... oh. hang on cthun didnt want the end of the... shit. Well at least kel'thuzard didn't.... ah.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I wouldn't even need dragons, frankly.
    I'd be more than happy with dealing with local threats such as Gnolls, bandits, politics etc. I'm actually taking a break from getting every class to 60 in order to just enjoy some more grounded themes on a Heritage armor character for a couple of days.

Not jumping on the same bandwagon as others in the thread are riding, but I'd be 100% up for less C O S M I C P O W E R stuff come 10.0.
    We need the return of Hogger.

We can rebuild him, we have the technology.
    Also access to the realm of the dead.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I found the Exile's Reach story intro to be more compelling than just about any Shadowlands stories outside of maybe Revendreth. Exile's Reach feels grounded and relatable. You're a soldier with a small makeshift camp, rallying some allies and scouting the zone. You then deal with an Ogre problem and uncover some use of necromancy that ends in a fight with a dragon. The whole time I got that old school DND adventure vibe and enjoyed it quite a bit.

When you do something like Shadowlands, the story deals with eternity, ghost people, civilizations that persist in the afterlife on these pocket dimension islands... hard to really give a shit tbh. I like vampire stuff so Revendreth was enjoyable, but everything else is so out there it feels like background noise.

We need to get back to MoP style storytelling imo.
    While I agree that WoW story is really dumb right now, i don't see how PoE is a good example. PoE story doesn't make any sense. You literally wake up on a beach, there's no intro or cutscene to explain to you why you're there, then you find an encampment and everyone starts talking about necromancers, Brutus, mermaids, whatnot, and your character acts like he/she knows what they're talking about; meanwhile you're there, clueless like "who the fuck are these guys and who the fuck are these people that they're talking about?"
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    That ship has long sailed.

It happens on every lasting media, be it a game, a tv show, a series of movies. The adversary or threat tends to get to such a high level that there's no turning back.

That's one of the reasons i love earlier WoW, where we're a random adventurer dealing with bandits, marauders, armies, etc... now every threat has to be -world ending-, and that's just gets boring eventually.
    True. Would love be an random adventurer/soldier/whatever and do "normal" stuff, instead of saving the world over and over again.

Can't really happen without a major revamp and world reset. I mean the random adventurer from a long time ago has defeated so many major characters that he's no longer just a random adventurer.

Exile's reached was pretty bad tho. But then WoW is no longer the game of exploration and discovery that it once was ... it's now just a streamlined story ... and for the most part quite bad too.

To be fair, sans all the Azerite business, BfA was very down-to-earth, especially Kul Tiras. I mean, we defeated a demon god in Legion and now fight pirates, corrupt guards and village witches. It felt like Westfall and Duskwood again. Zandalar was a tad more exotic with its dinos and mesoamerican trolls but still had some very mundane plot lines. And Nazjatar was way too mundane, we invade the realm of the most powerful naga mage-queen and instead we jump in puddles and run errands for goblins and fish-men.
    Legion was quite epic but even it had garden pest and bear asses quests in Highmountain.

Shadowlands isn't really that alien and epic too. Out of 4 zones, 3 have pretty standard problems - Ardenweald is yet another Ashenvale where we help dryad and druid types and fight nasty critters and forest despoilers, Maldraxxus is Durotar meeting Tirisfal (lots of martial prowess quests combined with undead themes), and Revendreth is your typical gothic vampire land. Maybe only Bastion with angels and fallen angels stands out, and ofc the Maw, but that's expected.
    Last edited by Rasula Elfbiter; 2021-02-13 at 10:55 AM.