Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
26
27
... LastLast
  1. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1805616.html

    Yo, we have FAKE SNOW conspiracies now! Because apparently a bunch of idiots in Texas don't understand how snow works and think that not being able to instantly melt some snow with a tiny candle is PROOF that it's all fake snow or something.

    .
    sad texas cannot even come up with original idea's. This is as old as the interwebs tubes!

    what's next rainbows caused by rain is proof of ....something....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  2. #482
    Legendary! Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't. The government may have told the power companies to jack up the price, but the power companies were the ones that did it.

    But don't worry, a disaster like this? There's plenty of blame to go around. Hopefully including some actual consequences. I'd like to see the signatures of whoever specifically said this was okay. And I'm sure there are, oh, "one or two" Texas families that would like to see them, also.

    The Texas govt is already taking steps to make sure they don't get blamed for this -- which, yeah, could be taken as a sign of mercy or a sign of guilt. Hopefully we find out eventually.
    Oh sure, totally fine with the power companies getting hit with some fines. My problem is that these things tend to protect the political class, and just hang all the blame on the least powerful people involved. An example I like to use is what we did with the Abu Gharib scandal. The bulk of the public narrative was focused on blaming SPC Lynndie England, which was a gross miscarriage of justice. Now granted, SPC England did horrible things, and I am totally fine with throwing her in jail for much longer then we actually did, but what I have a problem with is that blaming her shifted the responsibility from the larger organizational problems that led to the problems in the first place. They made sure the people that took the fall for it all were junior soldiers, and protected all senior, more politically connected people from accountability. Not a single commissioned officer had actual criminal convictions against them, which is a total travesty.

    In a similar vein, that is a lot like what I expect here. Slap some power companies with fines, direct all the media outrage and the actual utility providers, who are middlemen not really responsible for the issue. Meanwhile, allow the power suppliers and government regulators to get off scott free, despite the fact they should shoulder the bulk of the blame, but they are protected by their political power.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1805616.html

    Yo, we have FAKE SNOW conspiracies now! Because apparently a bunch of idiots in Texas don't understand how snow works and think that not being able to instantly melt some snow with a tiny candle is PROOF that it's all fake snow or something.
    Ah yes, these are old as hell. I remember them from pretty much every snowstorm in the south. Always someone waving a butane lighter under a snowball, and being surprised by the soot stains (They interpret it as "Burns" on plasticy snow). Just a reminder that most people don't know how science works.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

  3. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Just a reminder that most people don't know how science works.
    Yet they're able to figure out how to create videos and share them on the internet. I wish their stupidity was so great it would prevent them from sharing it with the world.

  4. #484
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Oh sure, totally fine with the power companies getting hit with some fines. My problem is that these things tend to protect the political class, and just hang all the blame on the least powerful people involved.
    That would be the customers.

    But I think you and I agree overall. If this was a tag-team screw the customer, I'm more htan happy with both the electric suppliers who did the gouging, and the politicians who allowed/encouarged it, both getting their karma.

    Oh, and if it turns out the electric companies literally ran out of power and could not get it from any other source -- for example, if the power cables across state lines were cut -- and needed money else go out of business (see other recent posts) then they should hae said so publicly rather than just charge people $17,000. They either didn't do so at all (guilty) or did so behind the scenes (I'd like to know why).

  5. #485
    Legendary! Frolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norway, Lørenskog
    Posts
    6,453
    "Fake snow? Conspiracy theory claims Texas weather ‘government-generated’"

    Oh my lord, USA the gift that keeps on giving, even when people are freezing to death, some people still think its a hoax to some extent.

    The US really need to sort this shit out, i cant tell if these people are result of poor education, poor parenting or untreated mental issues, or combo of all 3.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2020Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

  6. #486
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Oh my lord, USA the gift that keeps on giving, even when people are freezing to death, some people still think its a hoax to some extent.
    For some of these folks, reality is a conspiracy.

    I'd honestly forgotten that this was a long-running "conspiracy theory" amongst literal idiots that don't know how snow fuckin works.

  7. #487
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what's next rainbows caused by rain is proof of ....something....
    The gays control the weather, and rainbows are their Bat Signal to convert your children. And frogs.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  8. #488
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...power-outages/

    Granted I'm not sure what he could do, but Texas AG Ken Paxton peaced out for a pre-planned meeting in Utah last week. And took his wife with him.

    It's incredible to me that the elected leaders from Texas seem to largely be fleeing the state while politicians currently not in a job or politicians from literal other states and different political parties are stepping up to help arrange and deliver aide and support for people affected by the loss of power/water.

  9. #489
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That would be the customers.

    But I think you and I agree overall. If this was a tag-team screw the customer, I'm more htan happy with both the electric suppliers who did the gouging, and the politicians who allowed/encouarged it, both getting their karma.

    Oh, and if it turns out the electric companies literally ran out of power and could not get it from any other source -- for example, if the power cables across state lines were cut -- and needed money else go out of business (see other recent posts) then they should hae said so publicly rather than just charge people $17,000. They either didn't do so at all (guilty) or did so behind the scenes (I'd like to know why).
    its crazy that gouging laws apply to a gas station and hotel but not energy companies
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  10. #490
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    its crazy that gouging laws apply to a gas station and hotel but not energy companies
    Well as "everyone" has been saying, apparently they did...until this happened. Then they got the go-ahead to gouge customers instead of, you know, getting a Texas taxpayer bailout.

    Or, you know, a federal bailout. Which is on the way already.

    By the way, the next time your Redneck Uncle Jeeter says something about "why should I pay for someone else's student loan" ask "I dunno, why should I pay to keep Texas from freezing over when they left the national power grid? I don't remember signing a contract to keep Texas' power grid working."

  11. #491
    The fake snow is great. "It didn't melt, it just got harder." Yeah, no shit, that's what happens when snow partially melts and refreezes. It's called ice. Used to do that shit for snowball fights with my brothers.

  12. #492
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    The fake snow is great. "It didn't melt, it just got harder." Yeah, no shit, that's what happens when snow partially melts and refreezes. It's called ice. Used to do that shit for snowball fights with my brothers.
    Give these folks a break, man. They're just encountering something they have no experience with, so when it doesn't behave exactly like they think it should then that's proof that there's something more nefarious going on!

    Nobody show them the corn starch/water mixture that remains a liquid but gets firm when you apply pressure to it, allowing you to run over it without sinking. They'll think this is the fulfillment of some kind of prophecy or something.

  13. #493
    Warchief
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Give these folks a break, man. They're just encountering something they have no experience with, so when it doesn't behave exactly like they think it should then that's proof that there's something more nefarious going on!

    Nobody show them the corn starch/water mixture that remains a liquid but gets firm when you apply pressure to it, allowing you to run over it without sinking. They'll think this is the fulfillment of some kind of prophecy or something.
    How can non-Newtonian fluids be real if Newton wasn't real? Fake News! Benghazi! Stop the Steelers!

  14. #494
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    How can non-Newtonian fluids be real if Newton wasn't real?
    Get outta here, Jayden Smith.

  15. #495
    Warchief
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Get outta here, Jayden Smith.
    In all seriousness though back on topic, people need to not get distracted and focus their ire on the actual people responsible for failing Texas, which is the Texas government. It is tempting to look at the power providers or the power generating companies and talk about how they failed, but I think that is a little bit unfair really. It's very easy to say that the power companies should have winterized their stuff, or charged less, or any number of things... but in a free market capitalist society a company that doesn't maximize profits and minimize spending doesn't stay in business long. That's the whole point of government regulations in the first place, without them to force minimum standards, any company that tries to do the 'right' thing gets out-competed by an unethical company that doesn't care how much damage they do. The Texas government set up a system that rewards cutting corners and cash grabs, and punishes quality, forward planning, and backup redundancy (all of which cost money). They are first and foremost to blame for the citizens reaping what they have sown.

  16. #496
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wish their stupidity was so great it would prevent them from sharing it with the world.
    I literally just said something similar to this to my sister like 30 minutes ago. If only these people were dumb enough to not be able to post it online.

    Just ridiculous.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  17. #497
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    In all seriousness though back on topic, people need to not get distracted and focus their ire on the actual people responsible for failing Texas, which is the Texas government. It is tempting to look at the power providers or the power generating companies and talk about how they failed, but I think that is a little bit unfair really. It's very easy to say that the power companies should have winterized their stuff, or charged less, or any number of things... but in a free market capitalist society a company that doesn't maximize profits and minimize spending doesn't stay in business long. That's the whole point of government regulations in the first place, without them to force minimum standards, any company that tries to do the 'right' thing gets out-competed by an unethical company that doesn't care how much damage they do. The Texas government set up a system that rewards cutting corners and cash grabs, and punishes quality, forward planning, and backup redundancy (all of which cost money). They are first and foremost to blame for the citizens reaping what they have sown.
    Just to add info. TX is not completely isolated from other grids It has three ties to Mexico. Which allowed it to import power from Mexico during the 2011 rolling blackout. Unfortunately, this time Mexico had its own rolling blackout because of LNG shortage. It has two ties through Arkansas to the eastern grid. Unfortunately, the eastern grid was experiencing its own rolling blackout also. There is a possible sixth interconnection project, in Rusk County, which is being studied, and another ambitious proposal, called Tres Amigas, would link the three big U.S. grids together in New Mexico, though Texas' top utility regulator has shown little enthusiasm for participating. Maybe they'll change their mind after this. Or maybe not.

  18. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Just to add info. TX is not completely isolated from other grids It has three ties to Mexico. Which allowed it to import power from Mexico during the 2011 rolling blackout. Unfortunately, this time Mexico had its own rolling blackout because of LNG shortage. It has two ties through Arkansas to the eastern grid. Unfortunately, the eastern grid was experiencing its own rolling blackout also. There is a possible sixth interconnection project, in Rusk County, which is being studied, and another ambitious proposal, called Tres Amigas, would link the three big U.S. grids together in New Mexico, though Texas' top utility regulator has shown little enthusiasm for participating. Maybe they'll change their mind after this. Or maybe not.
    there's a better chance of them having riots and ripping down the evil windmills that cause cancer and caused the blackouts!!

    They better pass on a cell phone upgrade this year and get themselves some generators for the future
    and not just texas....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  19. #499
    Scarab Lord Poopymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    The gays control the weather, and rainbows are their Bat Signal to convert your children. And frogs.
    Time to drag this golden oldie out.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    In all seriousness though back on topic, people need to not get distracted and focus their ire on the actual people responsible for failing Texas, which is the Texas government. It is tempting to look at the power providers or the power generating companies and talk about how they failed, but I think that is a little bit unfair really. It's very easy to say that the power companies should have winterized their stuff, or charged less, or any number of things... but in a free market capitalist society a company that doesn't maximize profits and minimize spending doesn't stay in business long. That's the whole point of government regulations in the first place, without them to force minimum standards, any company that tries to do the 'right' thing gets out-competed by an unethical company that doesn't care how much damage they do. The Texas government set up a system that rewards cutting corners and cash grabs, and punishes quality, forward planning, and backup redundancy (all of which cost money). They are first and foremost to blame for the citizens reaping what they have sown.
    Comrade Lynarii, bolded is feature of glorious capitalist society!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

  20. #500
    Seeing the news about the 17k electric bills and heard that the power companies have already made more money than they normally do for a year. So not only did they fail to prepare for this weather because there was no capitalistic incentive at the time to do so, but they are also being finically rewarded for failing to prepare and plunging Texas into blackouts...

    Any chance there's some good news of people in Texas actually moving to fix their broken system?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •