Thread: PC Build Advise

Lightbulb PC Build Advise

I am about to build a new PC. Its been a few years and haven't really kept up with what is best for my needs so need some suggestions.

Budget - $2-2.5k
    Resolution - 1080p (4k would be a plus)
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc) Gaming/Video Editing utilizing DaVinci Resolve
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired? WoW, FPS (CoD, BF etc) nothing to intense
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - DaVinci Resolve
    Do you plan to overclock? Not likely
    Country - US
    Preferred Stores / Sites - Microcenter
    Parts that can be reused - None (Old PC will still be utilized for other projects)
    Do you need an OS? - Windows, Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Monitor, perhaps something with 120hz?

Below is what I put together however, this is just for reference as I was told that AMD is the way to go.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y4d9LP

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
    Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Other than needless overspend on the Samsung SSD (i assume, at least, unless theyve magically come down), it looks fine. Since you're shopping at Micro Center, you can just go with their in-house "Inland" brand (they use the same NAND and Phizon controllers that pretty much everyone other than Samsung and a few other very high end SSDs use) and be just fine and probably save a fair bit of cash. My 1TB NVMe was only 89.99 (on a slight sale) and that was a bit ago when SSD prices were higher than they are now.

Is "AMD the way to go"?

Sure, if you need every single iota of theoretical performance. But a 10700K isn't going to suck or anything. The differences in framerates are almost assuredly going to be non-noticeable... and you can actually buy a 10700K, unlike most of AMDs 5000 series CPUs right now.

However...

I'd wait until 11th Gen Intel launches - which is in the next few weeks - because its got a significant performance bump that puts it dead even or slightly ahead of AMD and will likely slide in at the same prices that most 10th Gen chips are right now. So, more performance basically for free. You can also use a Z490 board with them, if you want, though Z590 is already available or will be within days and seems to be roughly the same prices for the same basic boards, so you might as well go with that.

And good luck getting your hands on that GPU.

Also, you dont need to use an AIO liquid cooler if you dont want. AFAIK MicroCenter (at least the one near me) has decent high-end Air Cooling options available that are more than a match for any 240/280mm AIO. (The one near me carries Noctua).

- - - Updated - - -

To add, because apparently my reading comprehension sucks today:

I wouldn't bother with 4K unless your work requires it. Sitting at the appropriate distance from your monitor, 1440p is already so sharp you cant see the pixels. Jumping to 4k over 1440p is not really a giant step up in image quality (which is not to say it isnt noticeably sharper/cleaner, just that the change isn't nearly as profound as going from 1080p-1440p) but is a MASSIVE step up in the amount of GPU horsepower, and an RTX 3070 isn't going to cut high refresh 1440p.

So i'd stick with a good 1440p/120+hz panel, which are a LOT cheaper than good gaming 4K panels and a lot easier on your GPU.

A good monitor that Micro Center carries is this AOC: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...gaming-monitor

Its not the best monitor ever but its hard to beat for the price.

Get windows on the Grey Market. Never pay full US MSRP for Windows.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-03-13 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD is, in most cases, just better value. That's not to say that you won't get good enough results from Intel, you will, but it's more money. Or, it would be if you could buy any AMD chips.

A couple other things:
    You can probably get cheaper RAM
    You can get a cheaper SSD
    That case is ancient and expensive. Unless you already have it, I'd look into cheaper alternatives, like the Meshify 2 compact, Lancool II mesh, P360A, Fara R1, or similar.
    Never pay full price for Windows. Especially never pay full price for OEM windows
    4k is pointless unless you need to be able to watch 4k videos at full quality for QC work. 1440p is a good middle ground.

Thanks, I feel better with regards to what I was putting together then. Windows in "Grey Market"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedelesa View Post
    Thanks, I feel better with regards to what I was putting together then. Windows in "Grey Market"?
    If you google "cheap windows 10 key", you'll get a bunch of results in the 10-20 dollar range. These are mostly OEM keys they have access to by buying in bulk from Microsoft, so they're legit keys, but it's technically against ToS in that they aren't allowed to be resold.. Not that Microsoft actually cares though

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you google "cheap windows 10 key", you'll get a bunch of results in the 10-20 dollar range. These are mostly OEM keys they have access to by buying in bulk from Microsoft, so they're legit keys, but it's technically against ToS in that they aren't allowed to be resold.. Not that Microsoft actually cares though
    Wow, that is incredible lol. Thanks for that, I found a couple sites, I may even upgrade one of my older laptops now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, that is incredible lol. Thanks for that, I found a couple sites, I may even upgrade one of my older laptops now.
    If you have windows 7/8 you can still upgrade free directly from Microsoft I believe

A 650W PSU will be enough for this system but I personally would spend 20$ more on a 750+ PSU. Power consumption is only going up in the next few years, expecially for GPUs. So 20$ now can save you 150$ in the future if you upgrade your system or if you want to overclock your CPU. Speaking of overclocking, Intel CPUs are kinda made for that.
    Other than recommended elsewhere I wouldnt wait for the new Intel CPUs. They are only more expensive and are not that much better than the current ones. Only if you need PCIe 4.0 (which I doubt) and even then AMD should be the better choice. The 11700K will be around 400$ and that makes a Ryzen 7 5800X a better choice.

(On a side note: I cant understand that people claim AMD CPUs are not in stock right now. Everywhere I look I can get one)

Samsung SSDs are totally overpriced and I would recommend going with another brand like crucial.

You can save some money on the RAM by going non-RGB. A set of G.SKill Ripjaws 3200mhz CL16 are basically the best value you can get.

It depends on how you use your pc but a 2TB HDD is pretty small. That thing will be full instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    A 650W PSU will be enough for this system but I personally would spend 20$ more on a 750+ PSU. Power consumption is only going up in the next few years, expecially for GPUs. So 20$ now can save you 150$ in the future if you upgrade your system or if you want to overclock your CPU. Speaking of overclocking, Intel CPUs are kinda made for that.
    Other than recommended elsewhere I wouldnt wait for the new Intel CPUs. They are only more expensive and are not that much better than the current ones. Only if you need PCIe 4.0 (which I doubt) and even then AMD should be the better choice. The 11700K will be around 400$ and that makes a Ryzen 7 5800X a better choice.

(On a side note: I cant understand that people claim AMD CPUs are not in stock right now. Everywhere I look I can get one)

Samsung SSDs are totally overpriced and I would recommend going with another brand like crucial.

You can save some money on the RAM by going non-RGB. A set of G.SKill Ripjaws 3200mhz CL16 are basically the best value you can get.

It depends on how you use your pc but a 2TB HDD is pretty small. That thing will be full instantly.
    What would you do if you built this with an AMD chipset? A rep at MC advised going that route for value and slightly better performance, especially with regards to the video editing portion. The RGB was just optional dependent on case for aesthetics, thanks for the suggestion.

What do you think of Inland for SSD's? As for HDD, I was also thinking on that. There are definitely tweaks to be made for sure.

What would you do if you built this with an AMD chipset? A rep at MC advised going that route for value and slightly better performance, especially with regards to the video editing portion. The RGB was just optional dependent on case for aesthetics, thanks for the suggestion.

What do you think of Inland for SSD's? As for HDD, I was also thinking on that. There are definitely tweaks to be made for sure.
    I never heard of the brand Inland so I cant really comment on this but it seems like a cheap brand.

A 10700K is only worth it if you overclock it. Otherwise its always slower than a 5800X and even a 5600X in every application, gaming or working, by about 10-20% depending on the game.
    If you want to use your pc for gaming and for work related tasks I would highly recommend a 5800X. If you are mostly gaming and occasionally working you could swap out the CPU for a 5600X and save about 100$.

Down below is an AMD build based on your previous build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.95 @ B&H)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
    Total: $1559.27
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-13 14:30 EST-0500

A 650W PSU will be enough for this system but I personally would spend 20$ more on a 750+ PSU. Power consumption is only going up in the next few years,
    Uhh... wut? No they aren't. Intel's 10nm parts are absolutely sipping power, and AMD has managed a decent power consumption cut with every generation of Zen. GPUs are fairly stable with only the extreme high end (which is out of the OPs price range anyway) really going "up". A 3070 doesn't use a great deal more power than a 2070.

Not that im arguing against getting some headroom on your PSU, but you can advise that without passing along misinformation.

The 11700K will be around 400$ and that makes a Ryzen 7 5800X a better choice.
    .... uh.. wut? The 11700K is about 15% faster than the 10700K, clock for clock, which puts it *ahead* of the 5800X at similar clocks... AND its 50$ cheaper, even IF it comes in at 400$. Again, the 5800X isn't a bad CPU or anything - but.. BEST case for your argument is that they are close enough to be a wash. Oh, and if you're doing anything that leverages AVX? AMD cant stand up. Not that that is common but it is something to think about if you do use AVX heavy workloads.

I could have taken a picture of my local Micro Center yesterday where the entire GPU case was empty and the AMD CPU case had only 3000-series parts in it. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. In some places, they are available. In most places, they are not. They are "Available" for about as long as it takes the line at the door of my local MC to buy them all when the store opens at 9am.

Uhhh... what the hell are YOU doing with your computer? My NAS has less than 8TB on it and i have several thousand episodes (2500 or so) of TV shows at HD quality, my entire 13-day music library backed up in FLAC, and the entire contents of The Trove (eBooks). And thousands of other eBooks... and two or three hundred movies.

My gaming PC has less than 1.2TB ... and i have 92 games installed. Admittedly, i dont have any of the neu-hooj games like Call of Doody that are like 400GB for "reasons" installed.... but Cyberpunk, Outer Worlds, Doom, etc etc.

Again, this isn't an argument against buying a higher capacity storage drive (though my advice if you're going to go over a certain size is to just get a NAS and call it a day).... just "youll fill 2TB instantly" is not at all what 99% of users are going to see.

I never heard of the brand Inland so I cant really comment on this but it seems like a cheap brand.

A 10700K is only worth it if you overclock it.
    Since it all-core boosts to 4.8Ghz.... that is not true (considering the average stable OC is 5.0 to 5.1ghz, you're not gaining a huge amount).

Otherwise its always slower than a 5800X and even a 5600X in every application, gaming or working, by about 10-20% depending on the game.
    The Benchmarks disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB8f...nnel=Benchmark

even lowering the i7 to its 4.8 all core boost, you're not going to lose the 9-10fps that would be required for the 5800X (which is also OCed in that) to be 10% faster, much less 20. So... yeah. Care to walk that one back?

And the 11700K is about 10% faster than the 10700... so.. even at 400$ (if haht is what it comes in at, im guessing 350$) itll beat the 5800X across the board and STILL be 50$ cheaper.

If you want to use your pc for gaming and for work related tasks I would highly recommend a 5800X. If you are mostly gaming and occasionally working you could swap out the CPU for a 5600X and save about 100$.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
    There's some overspend here and there, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with this build. Not sure 32GB of RAM is worthwhile either, but its not like it will hurt anything. My issue here isn't with recommending AMD - its with the misinformation that came with it.

The 5800X would absolutely be a solid buy. Its going to perform within the margin of error of either the 10700K (or slightly faster) and 11700K (slghtly slower) but not enough to materially affect your performance for games OR work. Talking a few seconds here or there on a render and 4-6fps differences (at well above 100fps in any case). My point is.. the 10700K right now (when it is going for 280$-ish in-store at MicroCenter with a Motherboard + an additional 20$ off the pair) or the 11700K a little later are equally viable and will perform just as well.

As for avoiding InLand.. like i said, its the -exact- same NAND and controller that is used by Crucial, WD, TEAM, you name it. Its manufactured in the same place, even, and just branded as InLand for Micro Center.

About the only companies that use their own or different NAND or controllers (or both) are Sony, Samsung, and Intel.

Everyone else uses the NAND that is produced by Kingston/Crucial and controllers by Phizon (Phison?). They are basically the same. Get the InLand Professional though. They use the better of the Phizon controllers (same as used in that Crucial, above). Not that the average user is ever likely to find anything wrong with the regular InLand stuff. I have tons of their 2.5" SSDs deployed and they are fine.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-03-14 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    GPUs are fairly stable with only the extreme high end (which is out of the OPs price range anyway) really going "up". A 3070 doesn't use a great deal more power than a 2070.
    GTX970 tdp: 145W
    GTX1070 tdp: 150W
    RTX2070 tdp: 175W
    RTX3070 tdp: 220W

GTX1080 tdp: 180W
    RTX2080 tdp: 215W
    RTX3080 tdp: 300W

That is a clear trend and if you wanna buy a RTX5000 GPU in the future chances are you need a bigger PSU.

You spend 10$ more on 100W more and you are more future proof and your power efficiency will be better. Thats a no-brainer.

The 11700K is about 15% faster than the 10700K, clock for clock

The Benchmarks disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB8f...nnel=Benchmark
    The Benchmarks disagree: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535...-rocket-lake/9

The 5800X is always ahead of the 10700K and the 11700K isnt even an upgrade to a 10700K. The 10700k only comes close to a 5800X in high resolution gaming.

Again, this isn't an argument against buying a higher capacity storage drive (though my advice if you're going to go over a certain size is to just get a NAS and call it a day).... just "youll fill 2TB instantly" is not at all what 99% of users are going to see.
    Recommending a NAS to people who need advice on building their PC is a bit silly.
    Modern games are 100GB and OP is working with videos and videos are fucking huge.

And the 11700K is about 10% faster than the 10700... so.. even at 400$ (if haht is what it comes in at, im guessing 350$) itll beat the 5800X across the board and STILL be 50$ cheaper.
    I can only go by the € prices in germany, where the 11700k was already sold for 460€. The 5800X costs 430€.
    https://youtu.be/5A-gkT2uOeM?t=475

Not sure 32GB of RAM is worthwhile either, but its not like it will hurt anything.
    16GB is recommended for gaming atm and 32GB is already beneficial for workloads. Since RAM is cheap atm and to be more future proof going with 32GB is the logical choice

The 5800X would absolutely be a solid buy. Its going to perform within the margin of error of either the 10700K (or slightly faster) and 11700K (slghtly slower) but not enough to materially affect your performance for games OR work. Talking a few seconds here or there on a render and 4-6fps differences (at well above 100fps in any case). My point is.. the 10700K right now (when it is going for 280$-ish in-store at MicroCenter with a Motherboard + an additional 20$ off the pair) or the 11700K a little later are equally viable and will perform just as well.
    For gaming only the 10700K would probably the better value especially on higher resolutions. But on workloads the 5800X pulls ahead quite a bit. Also AMD mainboards are a bit cheaper so in reality its not that big of a price difference.

A 10700K is only worth it if you overclock it. Otherwise its always slower than a 5800X and even a 5600X in every application, gaming or working, by about 10-20% depending on the game.

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the build. MC should have most of this available.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input. The RAM is for the video editing, was advised that would be best plus as you say future proof. Budget is at the $2k mark so this build is actually below that I can upgrade to the 3080 if anything (if I can get my hands on one).

- - - Updated - - -

That is a clear trend and if you wanna buy a RTX5000 GPU in the future chances are you need a bigger PSU.

You spend 10$ more on 100W more and you are more future proof and your power efficiency will be better. Thats a no-brainer.

The 5800X is always ahead of the 10700K and the 11700K isnt even an upgrade to a 10700K. The 10700k only comes close to a 5800X in high resolution gaming.

Recommending a NAS to people who need advice on building their PC is a bit silly.
    Modern games are 100GB and OP is working with videos and videos are fucking huge.

I can only go by the € prices in germany, where the 11700k was already sold for 460€. The 5800X costs 430€.

16GB is recommended for gaming atm and 32GB is already beneficial for workloads. Since RAM is cheap atm and to be more future proof going with 32GB is the logical choice

For gaming only the 10700K would probably the better value especially on higher resolutions. But on workloads the 5800X pulls ahead quite a bit. Also AMD mainboards are a bit cheaper so in reality its not that big of a price difference.
    Thanks again, I will most likely build via Microcenter, I love the ability to just grab and go and the reps are pretty on point of the most part. (Processors/CPUs : Micro Center) As you can see they have some good pricing on the CPU's in general as long as you are purchasing in store. The 10700K is running at $249.99 and the 5800X is $429.99 which is about normal.

I note you left out the part where i said that i dont disagree with getting headroom in the GPU. However your "trend" doesn't really work out like you think it does.

You forgot that between generations (10 to 20), the entire stack shifted up because of the removal of the Titan.

This may not work out because of how the forum formats things, but ill try to illustrate:

Titan Xp ------- 2080Ti ----- 3090
    1080Ti --------- 2080 ------- 3080
    1080 ----------- 2070 ------- 3070
    1070 ----------- 2060 ------- 3060Ti
    1060 ----------- 1660 ------- 3060
    1050 ----------- 1650 ------- 3050 (?)

(Had to put the - in to keep it from truncating)

The -name- of the card is irrelevant.. its place on the product stack is what matters. Because names can change radically between generations (Radeon HD 7XXX to R9 XXX, to RX 4X/5XX, to RX 5XXX) the only way to compare products is where they line up in the product stack and the performance envelope they are supposed to be representing.

So, lets fix your example, going from the Halo Product, to the Enthusiast Product, and then to the High End Mainstream product: (And dont think i missed how you refused to aknowledge that i said "except for the very top end" as an exception).

Halo Product:
    TitanXp (10 series) - 250W
    2080Ti - 250W
    3090 - 350W

Enthusiast Product:
    1080Ti - 250W
    2080 - 215W
    3080 - 300W

High-End Mainstream:
    1080 - 180W
    2070 - 175W
    3070 - 220W

Mainstream
    1070 - 150W
    2060 - 160W
    3060Ti - 200W

Hardly a giant trend upwards except for the 3080 and 3090 which i noted to begin with (some of them even go down between generations, especially if we add the 900 series) And those will fall since nVidia's next chip will be a die-shrink. AMD's numbers are similar. Power is really only spiking at the very high end that 95% of people dont buy. Again, if the price difference between a good 650 and 750 is low, then by all means get the 750. Cant hurt you. But dont cite "massive power spikes" in GPUs as the reason, particularly when the OPs budget appears to be for upper-end mainstream products, not enthusiast or epeen parts.

Ahh yes, Anandtech's fun testing where they OC/tune one CPU and dont another and then try to compare the results as if they matter. Lulz. You might want to actually read the whole article. Their testing methodology could favorably be called "absolute flaming dogshit".

How many benchmarks from other sites would you like me to post that dont agree with Anandtech's review there? 'Cause there are plenty.

Uhh.. why? Open NAS, put in drive, boot up. Click a few buttons. Done. A consumer NAS is about as idiot proof as they come. Want to add a disk? Dont even need to turn it off. Pull out empty tray, slide in new drive. Click twice. Done. Ive got a QNAP sitting in my entertainment center that ive had to do... literally nothing to except occasionally reboot it so it can update. And that takes like 4 clicks. I also said "if you're going to go a much bigger" - no one is keeping 4TB+ of games installed and certainly not on spinning rust, not games that they play even remotely regularly. And if youve got a huge music/movie collection you might as well make it available to other devices without having to leave a power-sucking PC on (and set up network and sharing access to it in the first place).

No, Some modern games are poorly optimized shit and are 100GB or more. Plenty of the very modern AAA games i have installed aren't 100GB.

No, you can take all of ten seconds and look up the prices where the OP lives and would be building his machine. You can change the country on PCPartpicker at the top right. (Now, that wouldn't have helped with Micro Center pricing because they dont appear in PCPartpicker precisely because of the in-store pricing thing screwing up PCP's data crawler, but even then its ~379$ most places in the US).

Not getting into the "16GB vs 8GB" shit right now (GN already covered that, again), i was more referring to - 16GB is going to be plenty for the expected lifetime of this machine. Now, if the OP is doing heavyweight work, then by all means. And, as i said, its not going to hurt anything.

For gaming only the 10700K would probably the better value especially on higher resolutions. But on workloads the 5800X pulls ahead quite a bit. Also AMD mainboards are a bit cheaper
    No they aren't. That B550 board you picked is 40$ more than an equivalent Z490 board. If anything, the prices are extremely similar. And the Intel CPUs are currently cheaper. AMD gave up value when they drastically raised their prices on Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 (justifiably, IMO, the 5000 series chips are great chips and selling them at the near-zero margin that they were selling 2000 and 3000 series chips at makes no sense).

so in reality its not that big of a price difference.
    Orly?

10700K: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...oxed-processor - 249$ In-Store
    Motherboard: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tx-motherboard - 169$
    Subtract the 20$ Bundle deal for a compatible CPU and MoBo - total is: 398$. Call it 400$+tax.
    - you could also get the Z590 version of this board for 10$ more.

5800X: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...oxed-processor - 429$ (if available, my store has zero)
    Motherboard: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tx-motherboard - 189$
    Subtract the 20$ Bundle Deal for a comaptible CPU and MoBo - total is: 598$ Call it 600$+tax

+/- 5% performance depending on the game and overclocks/tuning doesn't seem worth 200$ to me. Also, since the OP isn't terribly interested in overclocking**, he's not going to be putting in the time to tune the infinity fabric to get the best performance out of his RAM, which can account for the entirety of that 5%.

Again, not trashing going with an AMD build. Itll be slightly faster on average than a 10700K, and slightly slower on average than an 11700K, all other things being equal. Any of the three would be great and more than powerful enough for the expected lifetime of the machine (4-5 years).

Just dont go around adding misinformation that doesn't help.

Edit:

** OP - if you go Intel, overclock. Its not like it is on AMD right now, which is sort of a PITA (because to get the most out of an overclock you also have to tune RAM timings and Infinity Fabric and keep clock speeds within certain parameters or it upsets the Infinity Fabric ratio and can actually LOWER performance). Intel is mostly just a few clicks. Enable XMP, set your OC, maybe tinker with voltages if needed to get a stable OC (though i seriously doubt youd have to do anything to get 5.0 or 5.1ghz out of a 10700K).

As long as the cooling can keep up with OC, its pretty much a few clicks, set it and forget it.

Further Edit:

Also, the 10850K (10 cores, 20 threads) is only 60$ more:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...oxed-processor

Still putting it cheaper than the 5800X and it will outperform the 5800X in productivity tasks handily due to the extra cores/threads.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-03-14 at 06:46 AM.