1. #1

    Horde Top 3 Melee + Top 3 Caster for beginner

    Hi,

    I am new to the PvP world and want to start my professional career as the biggest noob in Shadowlands.
    Currently I have a few different characters WW Monk, Fire Mage and a Demon Hunter all pretty geared from PvE.
    Gone into a few 2s and a few 3s and did some climbing with my monk.

    Just want some easy factual information from people who are sitting at 2400+ about what would be a nice class/spec to play to improve with PvP. Something that is versatile in 2s, 3s and RBG and is seemingly easy to learn the basics.

    If anyone has any great tips for good addons and information that is a 'must' for PvP to get better I would love to hear.

    Currently I am using Gladiator and Gladiator SA, OmniCC and BigDebuffs.

    I am struggling a little bit with having to move between the players to kick or stun a particular opponent, clicking out from where the fight is happening onto their name on the side to use a stun on the healer and then clicking back onto the enemy target feels like its a bit clunky for me and using too much time. Like I feel as though when I land a incap on the enemy healer and gone back onto the target I only have a second of heal free time.

    If there is a way to make this more streamlined please share.

    Many Thanks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by greymonk View Post
    I am struggling a little bit with having to move between the players to kick or stun a particular opponent, clicking out from where the fight is happening onto their name on the side to use a stun on the healer and then clicking back onto the enemy target feels like its a bit clunky for me and using too much time. Like I feel as though when I land a incap on the enemy healer and gone back onto the target I only have a second of heal free time.

    If there is a way to make this more streamlined please share.

    Many Thanks
    Start using focus and arena123 macros. You don't need to change target when using them.

    As for the top 3 for beginners, probably..

    Ret/Arms/DH/FDK for Melee
    Hunter/Destro/Mage for Ranged
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2021-02-17 at 04:44 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Start using focus and arena123 macros. You don't need to change target when using them.

    As for the top 3 for beginners, probably..

    Ret/Arms/DH/FDK for Melee
    Hunter/Destro/Mage for Ranged
    Thankyou so much for your response.

    Is warlock an easy spec? I would love to play it but was always worried that it was complex for Arena and I would spend most of my time kiting the enemy trying to get off some casts.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by greymonk View Post
    Hi,

    I am new to the PvP world and want to start my professional career as the biggest noob in Shadowlands.
    Currently I have a few different characters WW Monk, Fire Mage and a Demon Hunter all pretty geared from PvE.
    Gone into a few 2s and a few 3s and did some climbing with my monk.

    Just want some easy factual information from people who are sitting at 2400+ about what would be a nice class/spec to play to improve with PvP. Something that is versatile in 2s, 3s and RBG and is seemingly easy to learn the basics.

    If anyone has any great tips for good addons and information that is a 'must' for PvP to get better I would love to hear.

    Currently I am using Gladiator and Gladiator SA, OmniCC and BigDebuffs.

    I am struggling a little bit with having to move between the players to kick or stun a particular opponent, clicking out from where the fight is happening onto their name on the side to use a stun on the healer and then clicking back onto the enemy target feels like its a bit clunky for me and using too much time. Like I feel as though when I land a incap on the enemy healer and gone back onto the target I only have a second of heal free time.

    If there is a way to make this more streamlined please share.

    Many Thanks
    Don't ask people here for questions like this. You will get wrong answers all the time. Most people here have 1600 top rating with 800 games played. Yeah, they have no idea what they are talking about but love to run their big mouth and will never back down no matter what you say.

    If you are looking for information on beginners spec, watch Supatease youtube channel, he made some videos on easiest Melee spec. Also, Stoopzz is a good streamer to learn tips and tricks with arena. Watch the REAL pros, no the wannabes in here. This PvP community here is very ignorant and have no idea what they are talking about.

    Add "OmniCD" in your list of addons, to see your team mates cds when they are up.

    Mage and WW is far from easy to play. The DH you have might be a good option, but you have to play something you enjoy. For exemple, if you feel frustrated when you get interrupted and never can fake-cast effectively, don't play a caster.

    The only advice I would give you, is find a spec you like, even if it's a hard spec to master. The goal is to have fun in the long term, even if you take a spec that is easy to play, if you don't enjoy the playstyle you will stop playing and get bored of it. There is no easy way or special recipe you can learn to win games after games while putting less effort than everybody else. It takes time and energy. Might as well enjoy it while you learn.

    Have a great day sir!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by greymonk View Post
    Hi,

    I am new to the PvP world and want to start my professional career as the biggest noob in Shadowlands.
    Currently I have a few different characters WW Monk, Fire Mage and a Demon Hunter all pretty geared from PvE.
    Gone into a few 2s and a few 3s and did some climbing with my monk.

    Just want some easy factual information from people who are sitting at 2400+ about what would be a nice class/spec to play to improve with PvP. Something that is versatile in 2s, 3s and RBG and is seemingly easy to learn the basics.

    If anyone has any great tips for good addons and information that is a 'must' for PvP to get better I would love to hear.

    Currently I am using Gladiator and Gladiator SA, OmniCC and BigDebuffs.

    I am struggling a little bit with having to move between the players to kick or stun a particular opponent, clicking out from where the fight is happening onto their name on the side to use a stun on the healer and then clicking back onto the enemy target feels like its a bit clunky for me and using too much time. Like I feel as though when I land a incap on the enemy healer and gone back onto the target I only have a second of heal free time.

    If there is a way to make this more streamlined please share.

    Many Thanks
    Don't go with easiest, just go with strongest, you will learn along the way
    Strongest melee specs are Arms Warrior and WW monk, strongest casters are fire mage and ele shaman
    Pick one of those and start grinding

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by greymonk View Post
    Thankyou so much for your response.

    Is warlock an easy spec? I would love to play it but was always worried that it was complex for Arena and I would spend most of my time kiting the enemy trying to get off some casts.
    You're looking for something with a low skill floor, for which I'd advise against warlock of any spec. Destro isn't that hard to play but it does require a good understanding of kiting using ports and gateways and the class just isn't viable in rated pvp without this understanding.

    For melee the lowest skill floors are ret and arms, in my opinion paladin is the ultimate beginner spec but it's frustrating to play once you get better since it has a relatively low skill cap and you just find yourself being kited at a certain level.

    For ranged currently fire mage and night fae moonkin have low skill floors, it's worth trying them out. I'd suggest mage since moonkin is a bit of a gimmick with convoke and once it gets nerfed it won't be remotely as viable. Fire mage is also good because while it has a low skill floor, the skill cap is very high so there's really no limit to how far you can take the class once you improve.
    Last edited by intenz; 2021-02-17 at 08:33 PM.

  7. #7
    DH,Ret is the easiest melee specs. as warrior u need Intervene macros and know when to use it.

  8. #8
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    You're looking for something with a low skill floor...
    No. No no no. I hear this all the time. This is the opposite of what you mean to say. Floor-to-ceiling is the range of any given character's capabilities when played by any given player. A skill ceiling is the best a character can perform even with top skill. A skill floor is the worst a character can perform, even if played by a monkey. Therefore a "low skill floor" means a character actually does the worst of any given class if played poorly.

    You're trying to say "easy to learn", but that's not what a "low skill floor" means.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral ipoststuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekurm View Post
    DH,Ret is the easiest melee specs. as warrior u need Intervene macros and know when to use it.
    Yeah it's not like ret has any spells they cast on their allies. Ret has been labeled "easy" back in wotlk and people won't let that go.

  10. #10
    By easy I’m just going to assume you mean the rotation and not the other nuances like cc, kiting, etc...

    Going off that:

    Ret, Arms, Frost DK
    Boomkin, Fire Mage, Destro

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    Don't go with easiest, just go with strongest, you will learn along the way
    Strongest melee specs are Arms Warrior and WW monk, strongest casters are fire mage and ele shaman
    Pick one of those and start grinding
    So much this.

    As someone new to PvP you will have a ton to learn on every class, it makes way more sense to pick the classes that are strongest and have the tools to cover for the mistakes you'll inevitably make.

    Classes/specs that are "easy" are generally called easy because they have few buttons. DH is very easy because they simply don't have a lot to do, but that means they lack utility and it's the reason they only fit in a couple of 3v3 comps. Compare that to Warrior, which is definitely more difficult because they have a lot more utility, but they also fit with damn near every other DPS class in 3s because of it.

    You will have a lot more fun playing a strong class/spec over an "easy" one, because even if your class/spec is "easy" you're still going to struggle until you learn more about PvP in general. Yes it might be more difficult to learn everything but you'll have a lot more fun feeling useful in more situations.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    Therefore a "low skill floor" means a character actually does the worst of any given class if played poorly.

    You're trying to say "easy to learn", but that's not what a "low skill floor" means.
    No. That's not what it means at all. "A skill floor is the minimum level of ability required to be effective with a hero" - Overwatch university. "A skill floor is a way of describing how difficult it is to begin the process of mastery." - esportsedition.

    It means the minimum skill level required for any level of success. For example It's easier to reach an arbitrary minimum level of success as a ret paladin than an affliction warlock, because the skill floor is much lower. The warlock's higher skill floor means they have far more learning to go through before they reach a minimal level of effectiveness. Thus the ret is easier to learn. I don't know where you pulled your definition of skill floor from but it's at odds with the general esports definition.

  13. #13
    The Patient ArkantosChampion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    330
    Ret and FDK is really fun then Arms war
    I'm a normal text, I'm a bold text.

  14. #14
    ret is by far the best choice for melee for beginner. It has the best burst in the game with fire mage, but easier, plus it has an invincibility, through which you can deal the 2nd best burst in the game. It makes it basically an almost auto-win class with the lowest skill cap since you can take 50% of someone's HP with one spell

  15. #15
    Don't get fooled by all the above and below "ret" answers. If you're doing arena ret needs good CC set ups with your team mates, especially in 2s otherwise you won't kill anything with a brain unless you got better gear (which is the case for most classes). Ret also has 4 blessings, a heal and a cleanse that you'll need to macro for your pals and use at the right times.

    If you're planning to just BG and solo stuff and wanna see huge numbers every 2 mins then yea ret is the easiest in that regard.
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

  16. #16
    Ret has an easier learning curve though. You start with strong defensives and good heals, and grow from here.

    I won't speak for a top three, but if I was to pick a ranged and a melee I'd go with BM Hunter and Ret Paladin.

  17. #17
    All ret has to do is get near you and u can get 1 shotted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •