Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Also a gripe I have with western produced martial arts movies which is the cinematography and the amount of cuts and edits to them, and I see that a lot in this movies fight scenes, I hope it isnt going to be too much of a problem for me. :P
    This was my take when watching the initial 7 minutes. The amount of cuts in parts of this fight were pretty distracting.

Oh FFS they used the worst version of Reptile.

Movie was... decent. Some characters were great, some were wooden? Cole I felt was incredibly wooden and his acting was, idk, kinda bad to me. Kano was fun. Loved every bit of Hiroyuki Sanada, sadly there just wasn't enough of him. Fight scenes were okay, I guess. I kinda expected more out of them being a movie based on Mortal Kombat. Overall, a fun enough watch. Hopefully they can improve upon it with a sequel (since this is basically a prequel).

This was awful, the sole redeeming aspect of it was we got a Sub-Zero vs Scorpion fight.

Game mechanic gags in the fight choreography, is this supposed to be a comedy?

Sub-Zero is centuries old and working for Outworld for some reason. He also ends up being the "boss fight"?

Goro is a grunt character and used to bust Cole's cherry?

There was zero necessity to create Cole as the audience stand in character: Kano, Sonya, Jax were all as in the dark as he was.

The 1995 Mortal Kombat is the superior version.

The movie should have been given to the guy that did the Mortal Kombat: Legacy shorts.

It was ok, the OG is a better movie all around.
    Somehow the casting was worse in this movie. Even outside of Christopher Lambert and Cara Tagawa basically owning the whole movie with unique performances. No, just the basic characters were boring and uninteresting where in the OG they got to ham it up and just be way more enjoyable.

I don't hate this movie, its alright for a watch. But its a perfect reason why you don't remake cult classic movies.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It was ok, the OG is a better movie all around.
    Somehow the casting was worse in this movie. Even outside of Christopher Lambert and Cara Tagawa basically owning the whole movie with unique performances. No, just the basic characters were boring and uninteresting where in the OG they got to ham it up and just be way more enjoyable.

I don't hate this movie, its alright for a watch. But its a perfect reason why you don't remake cult classic movies.
    As stupid as the original was it at least had recognisable characters. I still liked this movie too, but it lacked some relatability to the characters. Some of them were good, but my god was that lead not interesting. Even Liu Kang wasnt that interesting. I think the movie focused to much on what we wanted from the original movies (violence blood and a adult rating), but also forgot what we loved about the original too. 1 step forward 1 step back :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-23 at 02:21 PM.

Comparing it to the original movie is ridiculous. It was just as bad as this one at the time, minus the Cole character, who was basically just a boring self-insert with powers that were clearly just because he was an actual MMA fighter. You could have put some of the Black Panther suit on him and it'd have been the same lol Saying at least "they got to ham it up" in the old one is an example of one reason why it was bad lol It gained cult classic status for a reason, and it isn't because it was a good movie.

Lots of easter eggs, at least. Majority of characters were decent, Kano probably being the best, he was just full of character. The main character (Cole) was pretty much just there to bring back Scorpion and push what there was of a narrative. Now, he'll find purpose in bring others in (like Johnny Cage at the end).

This movie, and Cole, serves mainly as an intro movie, I'd say. It sets up the basic premise, the competition and some settings, sets up various characters, and leads into introducing other characters.

And of course Sub-Zero was the "boss" fight. They're not going to do a final fight against Shang Tsung with Raiden in the first fucking movie, are they? He was set up that way right from the beginning and it was made obvious all throughout the movie.

This is a solid movie for anyone that isn't already a fan of Mortal Kombat games and knows some lore. For fans, its probably just an OK movie to turn your brain off to and enjoy the various MK-esque bits. The older movies are still there, in HD!, and can still be enjoyed if you prefer nostalgia.

Worst part being Cole, and maybe the waste of Goro. The best part was basically anything with Scorpion and Sub-Zero. And Kano. And the various Fatalities. It was actually somewhat gorier than I had expected it to be, which was nice.

Overall, it was enjoyable. I'll happily take a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As stupid as the original was it at least had recognisable characters. I still liked this movie too, but it lacked some relatability to the characters. Some of them were good, but my god was that lead not interesting. Even Liu Kang wasnt that interesting. I think the movie focused to much on what we wanted from the original movies (violence blood and a adult rating), but also forgot what we loved about the original too. 1 step forward 1 step back :P
    I liked Kano in this one, granted he was just playing Boomerang from Suicide Squad; but then he wouldn't shut the fuck up and quickly eroded all that good will of finally being the only somewhat unique character.

They would have been better served keeping the series in past. They could have made up other characters without anyone caring. Anchor the story around Subzero and Scorpion throw in other characters that have more of a reason to be in the past *cough* Kung Lao. And at least if everything else was boring as fuck, it would have been interesting to see an earlier tournament. You know, make the movie different than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I liked Kano in this one, granted he was just playing Boomerang from Suicide Squad; but then he wouldn't shut the fuck up and quickly eroded all that good will of finally being the only somewhat unique character.

They would have been better served keeping the series in past. They could have made up other characters without anyone caring. Anchor the story around Subzero and Scorpion throw in other characters that have more of a reason to be in the past *cough* Kung Lao. And at least if everything else was boring as fuck, it would have been interesting to see an earlier tournament. You know, make the movie different than the original.
    Seriously Kano was the best part... So I stand corrected. He outshone everyone

Was an okay movie.

- Kano was hilarious
    - Subzero and Scorpion were done justice.
    - Sonya and Jax were actually okay
    - Lui Kang and Kung Lao were terrible!
    - Goro was completely wasted and its insane he is so weak... even punching a normal non fighter female does little to no damage.
    - Cole was a completely uninteresting character and took all screentime away from the characters we actually care about.

Still enjoyed it and would love a sequel but the 95 movie is still more enjoyable.

average at best and the 90's MK movie is far better, esp the soundtrack.... Be interesting to see if it does well enough to earn sequels or if it's a one and done. The casting killed the movie really.
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

This movie was meh, with a few good spots. I loved Scorpion, Jax, Sonya and Kano, but holy crap did they butcher Lui Kang and Raiden.

The 90's movie was, and still is, way better.
    Last edited by Elkas; 2021-04-23 at 05:49 PM.

Holy shit this movie was so stupidly bad.

It wasnt good enough to be in 'so bad its good' territory either, it was just stupid bad.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Was an okay movie.

- Kano was hilarious
    - Subzero and Scorpion were done justice.
    - Sonya and Jax were actually okay
    - Lui Kang and Kung Lao were terrible!
    - Goro was completely wasted and its insane he is so weak... even punching a normal non fighter female does little to no damage.
    - Cole was a completely uninteresting character and took all screentime away from the characters we actually care about.

Still enjoyed it and would love a sequel but the 95 movie is still more enjoyable.
    A good summary.
    My guess is that the real problem with Cole was that he was kind of written as the generic white dude from the 90s that saves the day but this time he is Asian. The guy that's a late bloomer but once he finds his mojo he is the strongest member of the team.

It's a ok movie but not a (cult) classic, a 6,5-7 at best.
    Make a Subzero vs Scorpion or the same overal movie but with Lui Kang and you can get a better movie. I understand the idea of having a fresh character without to much baggage but what makes MK great are some of these characters (even during the SNES era) and the way they look and there story.

Oh my god. The final battle between Scorpion and Sub-Zero was the only thing not fucked up in the movie. That was like ten minutes of good stuff in a two hour movie.

-Kano was an overused meme
    - Raiden had no personality
    - Shang Tsung was a wuss
    - Goro was wasted
    - Cole was a waste of oxygen
    - The idea of arcana was retarded
    - The relationship of Bi-Han and Hanzo was changed to the worst
    - We had a chosen one
    - There was no Mortal Kombat

Granted this isn't live action Mulan so I'll give it a solid 3 out of 10

Really a movie of peaks and valleys. The first and last 15 minutes that bookend it were definitely the best parts. Everything in between is a real mixed bag.

Good:
    • For the most part the direction and cinematography is quite good, though certainly not groundbreaking.
    • Good score and sound design.
    • The production design, VFX, and SFX are all excellent, especially given the film's relatively small budget.
    • Fight choreography is good for the most part, depending on the characters involved.
    • All of the performances are at least okay, but a few cast members do drag down the scenes they're in.
    • Scorpion and Sub Zero are portrayed perfectly and their scenes are really well executed. Easily the high point.
    • Sub Zero makes a great imposing villain, and they use his ice powers very effectively to build tension.
    • I thought arcana was a neat way to explain their supernatural powers, making them a reflection of their personalities.
    • Kano improved every scene he was in. Without him I the middle chunk of the movie would feel incredibly bland and boring.
    • Jax, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao are all great, but underutilized.
    • As an origin film, despite its flaws, it builds a solid foundation for a franchise.

Bad:
    • Editing and screenplay are obvious weak points.
    • You can feel the studio meddling with the "grounded" story centered around Cole and his family, which somehow feels tacked on despite being what everything in the movie is structured around.
    • I didn't hate Cole, he's just a kind of bland everyman. They could have done more with him; imagine if they'd made him cool enough to earn him a spot in future games?
    • Sonya has the same problem, IMO, and her motivations are weak. Probably the weakest performance in the movie, too.
    • There's a lot of lazy exposition dumping and the characters are barely phased by the insanity around them.
    • Plot is pretty convoluted. Lots of quick jumps between locations without much time to breath between scenes makes it feel rushed.
    • Apart from Sub Zero and Kano, none of the antagonists get any plot development, or any reason for you to root against them. Even Shang Tsung is just kind of there.
    • Goro in particular was wasted.
    • The idea of Shang Tsung sending Outworld assassins after Earth's champions is solid, but halfway into the movie he just attacks Raiden's temple all out, and kind of ruins the pacing and flow of the movie. After that you get these weird mashed up fights happening in different places but edited to overlap one another.
    • The scene in the void where Cole gives everyone a pep talk comes out of nowhere and feels like something out of Power Rangers.

Looking back on the movie, I really think it would have worked better if they'd just had the Outworld assassins attacking the champions all over the world while they try to find each other and figure out what's going on, eventually banding together to repel the attack on Raiden's temple after Kano's betrayal. Just cut out the shit where Raiden teleported everyone around.

I don't think Cole was entirely a mistake, he just needed more heart and personality. IMO it would have been better if his wife were the last Hazashi Hazashi descendent, and the arcana transferred to him after Sub Zero killed her. Something like that, anyway.

I suppose they could have also just made him a version of Takeda instead.

I don't mind that the movie is a prequel to the tournament, but Shang Tsung needed to be more of a menacing villain using his shapeshifting to deceive and pull strings, and they needed to build up rivalries and antagonists during the course of the film.

Now all the villains are wasted except Shang Tsung and Bi Han, so the sequel needs to establish more new characters from scratch.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-04-23 at 09:36 PM.

Just finished it, good enough for me. Hope they make a sequel and really improve it.

Kano was absolutely brilliant in this, and I also really liked Kabal, even though he wasn’t in it much. The actor really nailed his assholery well.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao were woefully underutilized. Sonya was ok, Jax was ok, Mileeena was great but underused.

Wish it had been a bit longer to flesh out some characters, as Cole was boring.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

So as a fan of the series.

The good.
    Both Scorpion vs subzero solo fights.
    Lots of references.

The bad.
    Needless blood line nonsense.
    Tech powers replaced with stupid super powers.
    Every death other then scorpions.
    mileena was wasted only having like one line.
    Goro had no lines and they should have used what’s his face tiger goro if he was gonna be fodder.
    nitara had no lines.
    Reptile had no lines.

As A general movie goer.
    The bad.
    The story was fucking awful.
    The effects were fucking awful.
    The editing was fucking awful.

The good.
    Character writing was ok.

Over all it wasn’t the worse movie I’ve ever seen but I wouldn’t watch it again.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-04-24 at 02:38 AM.