Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    They shitted on the original game character that belongs there just to squeeze in the piece of agenda and literally named the reason in the interview. Mark my words, the next time someone does Lord of the Rings, Aragorn would magically be Haradrimean
    Is Johnny being white as important as Aragorn being of Numénorean descent? Not even close but nice try.

    PS: Aragorn in the movies already looks nothing like he's supposed to in the books.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  2. #122
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    They shitted on the original game character that belongs there just to squeeze in the piece of agenda and literally named the reason in the interview. Mark my words, the next time someone does Lord of the Rings, Aragorn would magically be Haradrimean
    you didn't read the full interview did you? the interview wasn't about why Johnny wasn't in the movie it was all about why they won't with a new character instead of using an old one. Johnny's race had nothing to do with him not being in the movie it was only one of multiple factors why he wasn't made the main character.

  3. #123
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    you didn't read the full interview did you? the interview wasn't about why Johnny wasn't in the movie it was all about why they won't with a new character instead of using an old one. Johnny's race had nothing to do with him not being in the movie it was only one of multiple factors why he wasn't made the main character.
    Which shouldn't be surprising because he's literally never been a main character. He's as secondary as Sonya.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  4. #124
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    What the hell is he on about? Cage was never the hero, neither in games nor movies. In the 90's flick he was both a supporting character and the comic relief, while Liu Kang carried the protagonist's mantle. Are these guys not familiar with the source material?

    For what it's worth, Lewis Tan is a fine actor for the part they described, so I don't think it will ruin the movie, but in principle shit like this irks me. A lot.
    the interview's about why cole is the lead they aren't saying Johnny was the hero in the game's there laying out why they wouldn't just replace cole with him and call it a day but all of the further context of the interview was left out of the quotes posted here.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    What the hell is he on about? Cage was never the hero, neither in games nor movies. In the 90's flick he was both a supporting character and the comic relief, while Liu Kang carried the protagonist's mantle. Are these guys not familiar with the source material?

    For what it's worth, Lewis Tan is a fine actor for the part they described, so I don't think it will ruin the movie, but in principle shit like this irks me. A lot.
    That's pretty much my take on it. It's like they are making a film on an IP they have no clue about, if nothing else for the original game and film. But as predicted, watch people bending over backwards to say it's nothing and all it's fine.

  6. #126
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Which shouldn't be surprising because he's literally never been a main character. He's as secondary as Sonya.
    Ya no one should be surprised, but also no one is going to go to the actual link and read that they chose cole so they could have a fresh view and not massively change the back story of an existing MK character there just gonna read that one out of context quote about race and get upset.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Ya no one should be surprised, but also no one is going to go to the actual link and read that they chose cole so they could have a fresh view and not massively change the back story of an existing MK character there just gonna read that one out of context quote about race and get upset.
    If only they could do both at the same time, if only

  8. #128
    Banned Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Is Johnny being white as important as Aragorn being of Numénorean descent? Not even close but nice try.
    It's not about Johnny being white, it's about Johnny being in the movie there he belongs, not replaced by a random literally who

  9. #129
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    If only they could do both at the same time, if only
    they could do both at the same time but as quotes from different interviews show they wasn't to avoid an ego class between both Kano and Johnny being the comic relief and would like to give Johnny a bigger role if they can do more after this movie.

    “The reason we held back Johnny Cage is he is a very egotistical guy. He’s a scoundrel. He’s funny. He’s bigger than life… and so is Kano,” producer Todd Garner had said during a presser, picked up by Gamespot. “So you go, ‘Alright, are we gonna just gonna have two guys competing to [see who can] out-funny each other and out-ego each other in this movie? Or do you hold Johnny Cage back?
    "I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one," Garner said (via Comicbook.com).

    "So I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one. And secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie."

  10. #130
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    It's not about Johnny being white, it's about Johnny being in the movie there he belongs, not replaced by a random literally who
    I trust you'll be just as pissed when they don't include other OG characters like Baraka and Kitana?

    Probs not.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Makes more sense than fucking Christopher Lambert playing a Japanese thunder god. Oh wait, it's Mortal Kombat and nothing matters, the characters are all nonsensical anyways.
    As much sense as Indian/Asian Kitana with Caucasian parents.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2021-03-19 at 10:29 PM.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    they could do both at the same time but as quotes from different interviews show they wasn't to avoid an ego class between both Kano and Johnny being the comic relief and would like to give Johnny a bigger role if they can do more after this movie.
    Which again reads like a whole lot of excuses, because they could very easily do both

  13. #133
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    It's not about Johnny being white, it's about Johnny being in the movie there he belongs, not replaced by a random literally who
    Johnny wasn't replaced with Cole Johnny doesn't belong in the hero roll. you can argue that he should be in Kano's place but obviously the film markers want to have kano Ham it up before going black dragon and want to do more with Johnny later.

  14. #134
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    As much sense as Indian/Asian Kitana with Caucasian parents.
    That's the point - none of it has ever really made any sense, and none of the secondary characters are actually that important.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  15. #135
    Banned Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I trust you'll be just as pissed when they don't include other OG characters like Baraka and Kitana?
    I'll be pissed if they were scraped off and replaced by no-names Babooka and Kittina

  16. #136
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Which again reads like a whole lot of excuses, because they could very easily do both
    how many movie's have you seen with a core hero cast of 9 with two egotistical comic relief characters done well?

  17. #137
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    I'll be pissed if they were scraped off and replaced by no-names Babooka and Kittina
    Cole Young sounds nothing like Johnny Cage. Is MK not allowed to invent new characters for their franchise now?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  18. #138
    I really worry about Shao Kahn. Apparently he will be played by that dude who always plays some super side character that appears on the screen for like 10 seconds during the entire movie and has like a couple of lines of dialogue. If they're gonna have Shao Kahn as a scenery character that just sits on a throne the entire movie, I'm gonna be pissed. On the other hand I don't trust Nathan Jones' ability to actually play a full character.

  19. #139
    Let's stay on topic and not delve into forbidden topics. Consider this the threads warning.

  20. #140
    The Insane Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    16,632
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    I really worry about Shao Kahn. Apparently he will be played by that dude who always plays some super side character that appears on the screen for like 10 seconds during the entire movie and has like a couple of lines of dialogue. If they're gonna have Shao Kahn as a scenery character that just sits on a throne the entire movie, I'm gonna be pissed. On the other hand I don't trust Nathan Jones' ability to actually play a full character.
    there's a fairly good chance hell take a thanos esc roll if they stick to how MK1 and 9 went down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •