Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    you haven't seen the original movie have you?
    I have, same with paying the original game when it was just a coin-up. It seems to me you are the one that did not even bother doing either and it's now bending backwards trying to excuse what they are doing with this movie

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I have, same with paying the original game when it was just a coin-up. It seems to me you are the one that did not even bother doing either and it's now bending backwards trying to excuse what they are doing with this movie
    So you’ve seen the original movie yet you think it had a good guy roster of 9 when it was in fact only 5 leaving out kung Lao Jax and had Kano and scorpion as bad guys.

Oh but you played the first game which also didn’t have Kung Lao or Jax. So what you just lack the ability to count past 5 or recognize when a character isn’t even there?

So would you like to admit that you don’t have an example of a good guy team of 9 with two egoist comic relief characters or would you like to keep making a fool of your self because you don’t actually know who was in the first MK game or movie?

7+ Year Old Account

Some new trailers with some brief looks at things like some specials, a shot of Millena’s Teeth (hopefully that’s not all of them), and a bat person Who’s Proabbly Nitara.

On the whole idea Johnny Cage is left out of the movie because his personality is too similar to Kano's, yeah, I'd call horse shit on that as well. I mean, not only did the first movie feature both in all their glorious egotistical, arrogant and colorful personalities (even if Kano dies early on, he was featured prominently early on), but obviously the games have continued to feature both prominently in expansive cut scenes. Race aside, at what point is your writing team incompetent if they leave a major character out in favor of an OC and the reasoning boils down to "it's hard to write him?" I mean, at the risk of SOUNDING racist, when you first see and hear the names, wouldn't Liu Kang and Kung Lao be similar characters? So much so the original MK movie left out Kung Lao. That's a rhetorical question. Of course they're not, and the movie will likely showcase that, just the way any decent writer could have featured both Johnny Cage AND Kano with their very distinct personalities.

In the early 2000's, Bryan Singer explained not using Gambit in his early X-Men movies too because he felt "his personality is too similar to Wolverine's and powers too similar to Cyclops" which had nothing to do with race, but is a sorry excuse nonetheless to deprive the franchise of a popular character. We all know Bryan Singer was serviceable at adapting X-Men to the big screen but far from perfect and criticism of his reasoning to omit Gambit from the movies is just as justified as omitting Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat because "he's too similar to Kano." It's a piss poor excuse and it's an idiotic thing to even reverse psychology this by saying it's "NOT about race." Just own up to it and admit you failed at writing or say for diversity's sake you didn't feature Johnny Cage because you didn't want the white guy stealing all the thunder.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2021-03-23 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Imagine taking a story that already exists, and cutting one of the core members of a team (never once have I thought of Johnny Cage as the primary hero, if it was any character it was Liu Kang, but I always viewed it as a team of heroes than 1 hero) because he is white.

I would expect people to get pissed and boycott it, much the same reason I have never see several films that use white leads in places they shouldn't (including the Matt Daemon wall of China film, Ghost in the Shell with Scar Jo, and several others. Not to say you can't have a white lead in a foriegn country, because while it isn't exactly accurate I really enjoyed The Last Samurai, but that's also because Ken Watanabe was amazing).
    But your entire reasoning of who gets to play "who", is completely race-based.
    Matt, and Scarlet weren't picked because they're "White". They were picked for those roles because they're HUGE stars, who actually act decently as well. (who would've guessed?)

What sooo many wanna be "anti-racists" fail to ever realize is that they themselves are the biggest "racist" part of that equation.
    Seriously, your logic is shit.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

My thoughts on the trailer:
    Jax looks badass. He looks a thousand times better than Cyborg from Justice League.

Goro looks great even though you can clearly tell he is cgi. Also who is he fighting? Is that like Johnny Cage? I assume if it is Johnny is going to end up up dead. Also what is that like rock skin/armor the guy is wearing it looks bad.

Hiroyuki Sanada is an awesome actor and the only one I can recognize from the film so the only way Scorpion can be fucked up is by the writers.

Sub Zero looks cool.

Why does Kano have a cyborg eye but a normal face? Also is he supposed to have 2 laser eyes cause when he shoots the beam its his left eye doing it while in the kinda cut up face images his right eye is red. He also doesn't look that muscular.

Robin Shou looked more badass as Liu Kang the new guy looks like a little kid or something. Kung Lao also kinda looks noobish.

Mileena looks terrible with her crooked tiny yellow smokers teeth they better grow or some shit. While looking for a better view of reptile?? I noticed Mileena has normal human teeth while fighting Sonya I hope that's just a mistake and gets fixed.

Also why is Aeon Calcos in the film and why does Kano kill him?

Overall I'm not sure on this. Some things like how good Goro looks makes it seem like they really put alot of effort into it but then shit like Mileena and Kano makes me wonder if they kind of half assed it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    On the whole idea Johnny Cage is left out of the movie because his personality is too similar to Kano's, yeah, I'd call horse shit on that as well. I mean, not only did the first movie feature both in all their glorious egotistical, arrogant and colorful personalities (even if Kano dies early on, he was featured prominently early on), but obviously the games have continued to feature both prominently in expansive cut scenes. Race aside, at what point is your writing team incompetent if they leave a major character out in ever of an OC and the reasoning boils down to "it's hard to write him?" I mean, at the risk of SOUNDING racist, when you first see and hear the names, wouldn't Liu Kang and Kung Lao be similar characters? So much so the original MK movie left out Kung Lao. That's a rhetorical question. Of course they're not, and the movie will likely showcase that, just the way any decent writer could have featured both Johnny Cage AND Kano with their very distinct personalities.
    assuming they aren't poor writers it could just come down to a screen time problem. with scorpian and sub zero being fleshed out and then both kung lao and jax added to the mix as well as them wanting to put in a new hero for a audience surrogate it could very well just be that they would have had to put all the comic relief time together so any scenes of Johnny would have to be paired with kano to save time and they didn't want waste them like that.

it being race based just doesn't make any sense because if they only wanted one white guy they could have made kano American-Japanese as he originally was or leave kano out altogether and have no white guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Mileena looks terrible with her crooked tiny yellow smokers teeth they better grow or some shit. While looking for a better view of reptile?? I noticed Mileena has normal human teeth while fighting Sonya I hope that's just a mistake and gets fixed.
    This is something i really hope they don't botch as well with any luck all the teeth shots we have seen aren't all and her whole cheeks rid away or something to give us a full tarkanten look.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-23 at 04:25 AM.

I’m really happy midway embraced the whole Kano is aussie that stemmed from his portrayal in the 95 film

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The meme you mean?
    Kano was originally Japanese-American it’s why he ran a Japanese esc origination the black dragon.

In the 1995 movie they threw that out the window and made him Austrian which became the dominate depiction of the character.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-24 at 02:16 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    He was doing a London accent but people confuse it for Australian because he typically played them before that point.
    Ah then I suppose they made him British screwed it up and ended up on Austrian.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again. Australian. He sounds nothing like Arnold.
    That’s what I get for relying on auto correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    .... People really need to let go of the whole Johnny Cage thing.

As for the Cole angle... Here is my take:

The biggest narrative mistake that the first and 2nd movies made was using well established characters as the audience Stan (vehicle). People who understood Mortal Kombat were puzzled as to why they used Lui Kang as the narrative vehicle when they all ready know who he is. This was done again in MK:A ... Except it was split between Lui Kang and Raiden being the combined narrative vehicles.

Using a new person, a person not previously known in the MK universe makes absolute sense both for veteran MK fans and new comers.

Cole works for the MK fans because they know what they are seeing and aren't feeling patronized. Cole is getting the explanation that the fans understand and so it makes sense to them for him to be learning.

Cole works for the uninitiated because he basically asks the questions that the new comer might ask and they learn about the story as it becomes relevant THROUGH Cole's interactions. In this way, Cole is moving the audience from oblivious to in-the-know at the same rate Cole is, and so the audience doesn't feel left behind as the story progresses.

On a personal note... I really don't care about Johnny Cage being in or out of the movie. If I am being honest, he was my least favorite character in the original movies and if there was going to be a hint of that personality performance in this make... the movie will be better with out him.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Cole works for the uninitiated because he basically asks the questions that the new comer might ask and they learn about the story as it becomes relevant THROUGH Cole's interactions.
    Except...aren't the "normal" characters (Sonya, Johnny, Jax, etc) from Earthrealm initially unaware of what's going on? I'm no MK buff, but I don't remember them knowing about the tournament or other realms before the story starts. There are plenty of reasonable justifications for creating an entirely new character for the movie that's supposed to introduce people to the world, but this isn't one of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Except...aren't the "normal" characters (Sonya, Johnny, Jax, etc) from Earthrealm initially unaware of what's going on? I'm no MK buff, but I don't remember them knowing about the tournament or other realms before the story starts. There are plenty of reasonable justifications for creating an entirely new character for the movie that's supposed to introduce people to the world, but this isn't one of them.
    Ya they do exactly this in MK9

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...ng-johnny-cage

Interview with producer and on Johnny Cage :

"Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.

Garner didn’t confirm the precise whereabouts of Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat (his name came up a few times during the interview) but his absence thus far suggests the filmmakers are trying something different.

“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood. "

--------

Doesn't make any sense, they just had to make Liu Kang the main protagonist (as it should be tbh) instead of introducing a new character that's half chinese, half british. "We don't want a white main hero...but we also don't want a full on chinese male hero so let's go in between." :facepalm:
    being white is terrible nowadays

So you’ve seen the original movie yet you think it had a good guy roster of 9 when it was in fact only 5 leaving out kung Lao Jax and had Kano and scorpion as bad guys.

Oh but you played the first game which also didn’t have Kung Lao or Jax. So what you just lack the ability to count past 5 or recognize when a character isn’t even there?

So would you like to admit that you don’t have an example of a good guy team of 9 with two egoist comic relief characters or would you like to keep making a fool of your self because you don’t actually know who was in the first MK game or movie?
    So Kano is a good guy now ? I sure am the one that has never touched or seen anything in relation to this franchise, especially the originals . But then again I should have known what to expect from this discussion.

7+ Year Old Account
    So Kano is a good guy now ?
    In this movie? as far as we know yes.
    The trailer sees Kano training under Raiden and actually fighting alongside the heroes.
    https://www.cbr.com/mortal-kombat-change-villain-kano/

I sure am the one that has never touched or seen anything in relation to this franchise, especially the originals . But then again I should have known what to expect from this discussion.
    From the looks of it not only have you never touched or seen anything in the franchise you also didn't even watch the trailer for this new movie .

but please don't stop making a fool of your self on my account. its really quite impressive how every post you mange to step on another rake.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-03-24 at 08:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know that this movie is all about fan service, but the amount of forced one-liners from the game was too damn high in the trailer. All that was missing was Kano doing a wink towards the camera.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-03-24 at 09:13 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

From the looks of it not only have you never touched or seen anything in the franchise you also didn't even watch the trailer for this new movie .

but please don't stop making a fool of your self on my account. its really quite impressive how every post you mange to step on another rake.
    Obviously, I mean I didn't spend my youth playing the original game when it was actually current, you got me . Anyway, enjoy your character-driven drama with strong actor performances that couldn't have a white bloke in the film totally because he would be a second joker and we can't have too many of those around

7+ Year Old Account
    Obviously, I mean I didn't spend my youth playing the original game when it was actually current, you got me .
    I mean its that or you have the memory of a gold fish, which isn't unlikely given that couldn't even remember what was in the trailer.