Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Opening scene was fantastic and Kano was an enjoyable character. The rest was kinda meh.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The fact that people who liked the 90's movie didn't like this one, makes me hopeful that I might enjoy it.
    I thought the same thing before watching it but was disappointed even on that front.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It was good. I liked it. Bloody good fun and faithful to the spirit of the game and lore. A lot of fan service with only a couple of notable omissions of character must haves.
    It really wasn’t faithful to the lore in any way baring Mabye LK and KL.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It really wasn’t faithful to the lore in any way baring Mabye LK and KL.
    That's enough for me. Scorpion and Sub-zero were always my favorite part of the game and I feel their rivalry is the heart and soul of this franchise, and both were portrayed very well here (even if I got less Scorpion than I would have wanted.) The 1995 movie turned them into 2-dimensional henchmen. Their rivalry being the focal point of this movie made it better by default.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's enough for me. Scorpion and Sub-zero were always my favorite part of the game and I feel their rivalry is the heart and soul of this franchise, and both were portrayed very well here (even if I got less Scorpion than I would have wanted.) The 1995 movie turned them into 2-dimensional henchmen. Their rivalry being the focal point of this movie made it better by default.
    Ya they were done way better then the 1995 movie but even though it was really well executed it wasn't really lore accurate given that subzero was 100's of year's old and quan chi was comply left out.

Fun, but really dumb and could of easily been much better.

I mean the whole fleshed out idea of the characters didn't come until much later though. I think they were on 3 when the movies came out and even then it was just short excerpts really that the game provided.

Was enjoyable. Could easily have been better though.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I never played Mortal Kombat but a friend dragged me to see the movie. It was fun, but I really hated that they involved the new guy into the big Scorpion vs Sub-Zero duel
    Space magic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    I mean the whole fleshed out idea of the characters didn't come until much later though. I think they were on 3 when the movies came out and even then it was just short excerpts really that the game provided.
    By mk3 they already had that story line fleshed out with Kuai Liang being subzero in 2 and 3 ending with scorpion vowing to protect him for killing Bi-Han when he didn't really kill his family.

it was terrible, criminally bad

Crack a beer, get you some of your fav food, and watch the movie. Enjoy it for what it is. Just let go and be a kid every once in awhile.

I love how it's so bad people gotta spend more time on it by logging into a website and letting us know it was bad, and then try and convert everyone else to seeing what you saw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    5/10

Was pretty corny but I enjoyed the fight scenes. I chuckled when they made fun of the leg sweeping shit.
    See, this is what I liked. It clearly paid homage to them button spammers.

Two things I saw that I hope would make an appearance. They showed Kitana's fans... wanted to see her.

The one I wanted the most, was when the was fighting in THE PIT. I wanted a stage fatality. Maybe even an easter egg from MK2 with Noob.

I felt like a kid again. This is what the movie wanted anyway. For those who expected dialogue quality and whatever, you're looking at it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    Crack a beer, get you some of your fav food, and watch the movie. Enjoy it for what it is. Just let go and be a kid every once in awhile.

I love how it's so bad people gotta spend more time on it by logging into a website and letting us know it was bad, and then try and convert everyone else to seeing what you saw.

- - - Updated - - -

See, this is what I liked. It clearly paid homage to them button spammers.

Two things I saw that I hope would make an appearance. They showed Kitana's fans... wanted to see her.

The one I wanted the most, was when the was fighting in THE PIT. I wanted a stage fatality. Maybe even an easter egg from MK2 with Noob.
    100% wanted an uppercut into the spikes at the bottom

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The fact that people who liked the 90's movie didn't like this one, makes me hopeful that I might enjoy it.
    I liked both. 90's one was very cheesy, this one was violent as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    I felt like a kid again. This is what the movie wanted anyway. For those who expected dialogue quality and whatever, you're looking at it the wrong way.
    this. definitely one of the better video game movies IMO

Kung Lao was cool but Liu Kang looked off to me.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by perkocet View Post
    It is absolutely over the top insane to me that so many of you people went into this movie expecting Oscar level writing. Same type of people that wanted more 'human interaction' in Godzilla vs. Kong, I think.
    I thought it was awesome for what it was. It's Mortal Kombat, not What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Good lord.
    No one went in expecting Oscar level anything. What’s over the top insane, is people like you thinking there’s only Oscar level and not Oscar level.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Never thought I would say these words, but I think I prefer the Paul WS Anderson version.

I liked the movie, though it did drag a little bit at times, and the trailer made it look a lot better than it ended up being. I thought the costumes for Scorpion & Sub-Zero were good. Some of the characters were perhaps a little flat. I feel like Shang Tsung was miscast, partly because that actor just didn't have the gravitas that Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa had, (hell, I think they should have just brought him back) and also because I couldn't stop seeing his character from the Dark Knight, and that wig was awful.

Kano definitely was the stand out.

Fights were okay, but the editing was definitely a detriment to them. Interesting idea about the powers, Cole's armor seemed odd though, I kept expecting it to be some type of kinetic armor, where he absorbs the blows and it kind of charges like Gambit (X-Men) does with his playing cards, to return it with a more powerful punch. Was really expecting a post credits Chun Li appearance too.

I need to watch it again. We went to a theater with rumble seats, so that proved a little distracting at times.
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Phayde; 2021-04-25 at 12:25 PM.

Ya they were done way better then the 1995 movie but even though it was really well executed it wasn't really lore accurate given that subzero was 100's of year's old and quan chi was comply left out.
    True. I was hoping Quan-chi would be revealed as the one behind Sub-zero like in Scorpion's Revenge, but wasn't Sub-zero said to have killed Hanzo like 500 years prior in the movie, making him centuries old?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Good point. I guess the story has evolved where Scorpion and Sub-zero's rivalry is the heart of the franchise? It's definitely up there as the most popular when people think of MK. I mean, there's the main conflict with Liu Kang/Kitana/Outworld too but none of that was featured other than Liu Kang. I thought they did a great job with Liu Kang and Kung Lao, but they took a backseat to Cole, and I agree, I didn't like him shoe-horned into the whole movie because it took screen time and development from everyone else that are actual MK characters, and not OC's.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2021-04-25 at 05:06 PM.

Real question:
    How were they not flat henchman characters in the current movie? The only concept that there may be more is the "for the lin kuei" line. But thats it, scorpion is portrayed as the flat good guy and scorpion is the flat bad guy. In mk95, they were both just the flat bad guy. In fact you get a slight bit more out of them because shang tsung says they are straight up mortal enemies, but shang tsung is so powerful they do as he says without question. Their inclusion make shang tsung way more threatening, which is another issue mk21 had, shang tsung was a joke and so was raiden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Liu Kang looked off to me.
    He did! I mentioned it briefly in my review: "Liu Kang was hilarious, with his baby face looking like it was Photoshopped onto a buffed body."
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi