Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    "If we ignore all the original source material, he's clearly 'asian esc'" Lmao. Whatever you gotta tell yourself dude. I've proved my point and you've even admitted the original source material was all a white guy.
    So are subzero and scorpion white? I mean if just the original actors determine it and we ignore all other design they would have to be right?

"If we ignore all the original source material, he's clearly 'asian esc'" Lmao. Whatever you gotta tell yourself dude. I've proved my point and you've even admitted the original source material was all a white guy.
    The "original source material" has him as an Asian god, his original mocap actor just happened to be white when the graphical fidelity wasn't good enough to determine his race.

"In the Japanese Shinto religion, from which the character is derived, Raijin is usually portrayed as a small, red-skinned demon-like creature that beats a drum to create thunder. However, his appearance in the games resembles more of a Taoist thunder god presented in the Chinese temples."

Who would you cast as Johnny Cage?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    First 7 Minutes

Anyone else think that looked like Scorpion's son started to freeze Sub-Zero's hand? Wife seemed to understand Chinese unlike Scorpion, could this be a Romeo and Juliet thing with her being from the Lin Kuei? Is Cole Young going to end up being a descendant of the baby left under the floorboards, and heir to both the Shirai Ryu and Lin Kuei?
    He is speaking Japanese to her and Chinese in the next scene
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    James Marsden just by looks...

He comes off as a Chris Pratt, Chris Pine, maybe even Zac Efron role. Ideally... if he could pull off the humor side, Scott Adkins.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yep, you're rusty, he didn't become Smoke, he became Noob Saibot.
    lol kool i remebered it was someting like that but couldnt remember.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

The Ending Sub Zero Vs Scorpion Fight I literally in unison with the character stood up in the living room and yelled "Get over Here" Holy shit did they perfectly land all the right lines at the right times. The acting was not great, but it didn't need to be they just needed to have 3 lines landed at the right times for this movie to be amazing and they nailed it IMO.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nah. The original character in the video game was white and he was white in the original movies. It's just more forced diversity.
    Raiden? You mean the japanese Thunder God? THAT raiden? Yup, she was white. Sure thing, buddy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    He is speaking Japanese to her and Chinese in the next scene
    Yeah. Bi-Han is Bi-Lingual. The Hasashis are not so him using chinese is just there to establish that he IS chinese and the filmmakers remembered it.

I would put all my money on insanity and go Nicolas Cage, the surnames don't lie. And it would be amazing.

Someone famous, funny and known to take smaller roles for the fun of it, Ryan Reynolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Someone famous, funny and known to take smaller roles for the fun of it, Ryan Reynolds.
    Too big a name... And he'd be just playing himself, playing "Cage."

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    hooo boy as someone in this 30s this movie is a godsent. here is original mortal kombat theme
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

I expect after this movie, half the world population will watch it lmao
    lmao at youtube comments;

If this isn't the end credits song in the movie, We riot.
    How do you feel now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

This movie was hard to watch, forgetting to add voice effects randomly, the main character whos name NONE of my friends could remember growing literal plot armor that he uses once and never again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a character is lifeless when he was created purely because "a white guy saving the world, doesn't feel right" The writing was horrible, which I mean isn't a cardinal sin for a Mortal Kombat movie, but I expected a bit better. Once I learned this had a WW84 writer it made sense though.
    This movie felt as disjointed as that movie did as well, wtf are they doing, picking shit out of a hat and making a movie with it? How do you have a Mortal Kombat movie without a tournament...THAT was not a tournament.

There was ONE moment in this movie I enjoyed and that was Kano getting sweep kicked over and over and bitching about it.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not one single "toasty". 0/10

But in seriousness I am hopeful for a sequel, I loved all of the nods to the games. Leg sweeping, spelling it wrong, the call outs to game mechanics "Kano Wins" made me laugh.

They definitely wasted Goro though, which is a shame, I absolutely loved his design compared to mk95.

Definitely did not need Cole at all or any of the bloodline stuff. Would have much preferred to find out he was a disgraced Johnny Cage the way one fan theory had speculated before it released. Or just get rid of him altogether. Having him as an audience surrogate made even less sense with Jax, Sonya, and Kano all also learning everything for the first time.

While the deaths were great and gorey, we lose some great characters for sequels. (IE: Not having Mileena in any sequel that could possibly involve Kitana)

I loved Kabal. I *felt* that "oh...shit" moment. He was just great all around.

I do think this might have been better, much better, as an HBO max series rather than a movie though.

edit: Oh and, the PR team definitely could have done a better job of setting expectations. I think far too many people were let down by "Mortalk Kombat" not having the actual tournament and that is skewing opinions.
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Imagine how powerful his shotgun blast kicks would be in MK... dude already knocks people across a room with that power side kick, now let’s juice that up.

Scott Adkins is such an absolute beast. It's a shame it took so long for him to be really recognized... if he was 30ish in his prime in the early 90s, I think he could have been a massive star. People just wouldn't believe the things he could do without wires. After his Undisputed roles, he is proficient enough at acting that he could carry a proper Action Movie or at worst play alongside a major talent, like Rush Hour.

That said, I still think he could play Johnny Cage, he still has the moves and as he gets along in age he is starting to reach that point where people would question his ability ala Johnny Cage in the lore.

Even the guy they pulled for the MK Legacy series, he played a pretty good Johnny Cage too.

It was an enjoyable watch but nothing great. I agree with people that Cole was a terrible choice of lead. I haven't played MK in like 20 years but I more or less recognized all the other characters by look or name thanks to youtube vids and the like.

But who's this cole guy? When he got his arcana i was just like "okay?" instead of being hyped like I should have been for an iconic MK char getting their special.

Having it focused on Sonya and Jax I think would have been a better route. Their story works just as well for introducing the setting. I'm fine waiting for Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    How do you feel now?
    I do not get the question? I did not watch the movie nor I knew about it until I saw it here.
    It just gave me the idea of checking the original theme song to see how many more viewers it would get that is it.

youtube comments were so fun. That is all I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michael B Jordan. He's got the athleticism and I think he could pull off a sarcastic ass.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I do not get the question? I did not watch the movie nor I knew about it until I saw it here.
    It just gave me the idea of checking the original theme song to see how many more viewers it would get that is it.

youtube comments were so fun. That is all I said.
    in your original statement, you said: "If this isn't the end credits song in the movie, We riot."

So I was asking how you felt now, but I assumed you were going to watch the movie, but since you haven't the question does not apply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Michael B Jordan. He's got the athleticism and I think he could pull off a sarcastic ass.
    I could see him as a version of cage, though not the original. It would depend on how important the whole "washed up fake fight movie actor" thing is for the character now, I'm not sure what cages defining traits are in the rebooted story, though I assume "pretty boy hollywood" is still a factor.

I could see Jordan as a version of cage where he was an actual fighter, not a washed out movie fighter. Then again, Black Panther is my only experience with his acting so I'm basing my thoughts entirely off his performance there.