1. #1

    Fire Mage Rotation Helper/scripts

    I'm main-changing from Windwalker to Fire because I finally want to see what ranged raiding is like.

    As I get used to a toon, I use move suggesting addons like Ovale to build muscle memory and help me really internalize synergies within skills.

    I'm ALSO being a Good Girl and doing my reading.

    Anyway, the current Ovale script is garbage. It never recommends Pyroblasts, even in Hot Streak. I'm pretty sure it's Phoenix Flames timing suggestions are garbo, and Arcane Blast isn't a part of the AoE rotation, right? It's just for short AoE moments?

    So it's not building muscle memory.

    I've tried just learning without it, but I'm just not building muscle memory that way. Without help, I'm good at Combustion, bad at Rune of Whatever, fairly bad at Mirror Image and Mirror of Venthyr Thing, and AWFUL at Phoenix Flames.

    All that to say, don't hate in me for addons. They supplement. They do not replace my brain.

    So anyway, given that loose sense of where I'm at with the spec, does anyone have suggestions on addons, scripts, and whatever so I can start improving? Should I just *always* use Phoenix after a Pyroblast/Flamestrike? I want to enter raiding in as strong a position as I can - I don't want to be dead weight for my guild just because I got fidgety and bored with a spec I was good at after playing for years.

    Thank you thank you thank you in advance.

    Check out my friggin adorable switch for fun if you want. I love his red eyes peeking out from under his cowl: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...amar/sionnaigh

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also: Am I better off treating Mirror Images as a defensive? Should I keep it on cooldown?

  2. #2
    I use mirror image off CD always. Extra damage.

    I start the fight with combustion, then after my combustion rotation, I do shifting power then rune power.

    If I get crit procs (tend to a get a decent amount of the cabalist hymal trinket), I just use my fire blast and then pyro. NEVER cast pyro, always use it when you have the proc for it.

    Make sure you have all your fire blasts for your combustion too when it is back up. I personally never hard cast flamestrike...just don't feel like it merits the damage you get for doing so also it's super slow to cast. Rather get a proc or so after a few casts then use it instant cast.

    I also use this weakaura - https://wago.io/SyGtPbRHm

    It is a MUST. It's weird how without such weakauras fire is pretty much impossible to play anywhere remotely close to it's best.

  3. #3
    I haven't done much raiding since Cata but i've been using MaxDPS as an addon to help with rotations. It may not be the most optimal version but it's good enough to not look like an idiot theoretically.

    Worth a shot to look at. They have modules for every class which is nice for anyone playing a bunch of alts also...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzlol View Post
    I use mirror image off CD always. Extra damage.

    I start the fight with combustion, then after my combustion rotation, I do shifting power then rune power.

    If I get crit procs (tend to a get a decent amount of the cabalist hymal trinket), I just use my fire blast and then pyro. NEVER cast pyro, always use it when you have the proc for it.

    Make sure you have all your fire blasts for your combustion too when it is back up. I personally never hard cast flamestrike...just don't feel like it merits the damage you get for doing so also it's super slow to cast. Rather get a proc or so after a few casts then use it instant cast.

    I also use this weakaura - https://wago.io/SyGtPbRHm

    It is a MUST. It's weird how without such weakauras fire is pretty much impossible to play anywhere remotely close to it's best.
    The dmg is negligible for mirror images.

    I use it at pull to not grab threat from Combustion burst. Then you should reserve it for unavoidable big damage since it also reduces dmg taken by 20%. Which is far better usage than for DPS. Though if there is nothing to worry then yeah, use on CD for some extra dmg.

  5. #5
    You guys are awesome, thanks.

    Is Phoenix lobbing basically for after pyroblasts/flamestrikes?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingshui View Post
    You guys are awesome, thanks.

    Is Phoenix lobbing basically for after pyroblasts/flamestrikes?
    You will mostly use phoenix flames during combustionj, and almost never outside that (probably better to not use it outside combustion until you get a better feel for the class)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingshui View Post
    I'm main-changing from Windwalker to Fire because I finally want to see what ranged raiding is like.

    As I get used to a toon, I use move suggesting addons like Ovale to build muscle memory and help me really internalize synergies within skills.

    I'm ALSO being a Good Girl and doing my reading.

    Anyway, the current Ovale script is garbage. It never recommends Pyroblasts, even in Hot Streak. I'm pretty sure it's Phoenix Flames timing suggestions are garbo, and Arcane Blast isn't a part of the AoE rotation, right? It's just for short AoE moments?

    So it's not building muscle memory.

    I've tried just learning without it, but I'm just not building muscle memory that way. Without help, I'm good at Combustion, bad at Rune of Whatever, fairly bad at Mirror Image and Mirror of Venthyr Thing, and AWFUL at Phoenix Flames.

    All that to say, don't hate in me for addons. They supplement. They do not replace my brain.

    So anyway, given that loose sense of where I'm at with the spec, does anyone have suggestions on addons, scripts, and whatever so I can start improving? Should I just *always* use Phoenix after a Pyroblast/Flamestrike? I want to enter raiding in as strong a position as I can - I don't want to be dead weight for my guild just because I got fidgety and bored with a spec I was good at after playing for years.

    Thank you thank you thank you in advance.

    Check out my friggin adorable switch for fun if you want. I love his red eyes peeking out from under his cowl: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...amar/sionnaigh

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also: Am I better off treating Mirror Images as a defensive? Should I keep it on cooldown?
    The damage from Mirror Images is very minor, outside of the pull you wouldn't want to waste a GCD on it. Just save it for a defensive.

    The nuance of playing Fire, especially during Combustion windows, is something you will ultimately need to practice and get comfortable with. There are minor subtleties to it that can vary and make a noticeable difference in your output but for the general how-to on doing the Combustion window I will recommend this Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqmzrLXk5A

    He takes great care in explaining the variance for those who want to maximize everything and for those learning and wants just a clear view on how to manage it. He slows the video down and clearly goes over every global he presses and why.

  8. #8
    Fantastic, THANK YOU so much.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire Aviditas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    457
    /cast Berserking (If Troll)
    /use 14 (bottom on-use trinket slot)
    /castsequence reset=30 Combustion, Fire Blast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Pyroblast, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix Flames, Pyroblast
    /cancelqueuedspell

    Spam to win :P

    Forgot to mention, this macro is for if you're using Infernal Crusade. If you're not....start using it haha.
    60 Priest - Sinfel https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...eldorei/sinfel
    60 Mage - Redrayn https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ldorei/redrayn

    I used to have a cool signature, but now its limited it 6 lines and that has my boobs all twisted with anger!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •