Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    That panorama is amazing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That helicopter drone is brilliant. Can't wait to see footage from it.
    Since the footage released, I watched it like 5-6 times.

It's an incredible feat of engineering every step of the way, from the launch several months ago, to last week's landing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    That is just so great to see that and to hear the relief and joy in the voice once it's successful. Beautiful.
    There was one guy during the live stream. Forget his position in JPL but he was pretty high up there. He was so clearly nervous the entire time. You could hear it in his voice. And it's perfectly understandable, this was a mission that could go wrong an infinite number of ways and there'd be nothing we could do on our end. I can't imagine how it felt to be one of the JPL engineers in that room on that day.
    Putin khuliyo

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

It's an incredible feat of engineering every step of the way, from the launch several months ago, to last week's landing.
    Agreed. And I read but didn't immediately fully comprehend that Perseverance's landing footage was the first video of humans landing something on another planet. Just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

- - - Updated - - -

There was one guy during the live stream. Forget his position in JPL but he was pretty high up there. He was so clearly nervous the entire time. You could hear it in his voice. And it's perfectly understandable, this was a mission that could go wrong an infinite number of ways and there'd be nothing we could do on our end. I can't imagine how it felt to be one of the JPL engineers in that room on that day.
    Honestly, I already knew that it had worked while I was watching the footage, but I still felt nervous. I think had I been one of the guys waiting if all of their years of work were going to crash, I'd simply have suffered a heartattack. But NASA haven given mankind another giant leap and it may sound cheesy, but for me it's kind of a wonderful thing to know that even though down here on Earth we are going through some tough times.

This is a few days old, but I don't think it has been posted here yet - recorded sound from Mars.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ng-first-audio

Only what sounds like a light breeze, but it's still quite something when you consider that it's sound from another planet.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-03-04 at 07:56 AM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

5+ Year Old Account
    How is wind supposed to sound if not windy?..

So, is there something special about robot #1488931 visiting mars? News seems awful quiet.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    This is a few days old, but I don't think it has been posted here yet - recorded sound from Mars.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ng-first-audio

Only what sounds like a light breeze, but it's still quite something when you consider that it's sound from another planet.
    Forking amazing. That Beast is going to do some awesome work.

They are spooling up the drone this month right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    How is wind supposed to sound if not windy?..

So, is there something special about robot #1488931 visiting mars? News seems awful quiet.
    I believe it's main mission is to test soil samples for traces of ancient life. It's far bigger (like a mini-car) than any of the previous rovers and comes equipped with a lot more equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Forking amazing. That Beast is going to do some awesome work.

They are spooling up the drone this month right?
    I think so.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I believe it's main mission is to test soil samples for traces of ancient life. It's far bigger (like a mini-car) than any of the previous rovers and comes equipped with a lot more equipment.
    Don't feed him....

The mission is huge, along with what you pointed out, they are also sending out the first flying drone on Mars, which will cover a great deal more terrain. Perseverance is also prepping the next mission, to bring Mars rocks back to Earth, which may or may not be a good idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    That gives me an image of Mr.Bean driving his mini on Mars.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's the plan. Once they deploy it to the surface it's got something like a 30-day mission of various test flights and whatnot. Fingers crossed it doesn't crap out before it can take off.
    Seems like that short of a life-span is mostly going to be proof-of-concept type stuff. I'm sure NASA will double dip and do scientific missions at the same time. I can't wait to see what Ingenuity 2.0 is going to look like. Not criticizing at all here, in case it seems otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, we know more about Mars, thanks to these missions, then we know about the deeps of our oceans.

Its still gorgeous to see these rovers.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Damn, we know more about Mars, thanks to these missions, then we know about the deeps of our oceans.

Its still gorgeous to see these rovers.
    That is interesting. And we've been able to get humans to the deepest parts of our oceans for decades now (I was surprised to learn).

10+ Year Old Account
    That is interesting. And we've been able to get humans to the deepest parts of our oceans for decades now (I was surprised to learn).
    We went to the Marianas trench, once... And that was with a sub filled with diesel.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    We went to the Marianas trench, once... And that was with a sub filled with diesel.
    I thought we've been down there more than once - way back a few decades ago, and then most recently with James Cameron's expedition.

Regardless, my point is that we can, we just haven't, a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s what it’s designed for. Proving that type of drone can be used on Mars. Gotta prove it can keep the batteries from dying and then that it can operate as intended. Next gen would likely be used for going to check out specific areas that a rover can’t easily reach.
    Makes sense.

I wonder if they are hoping to send something into the Valles Marineris - the Grand Canyon of Mars.

The Ingenuity helicopter has completed its first flight on Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56799755

Amazing!

Ingenuity's shadow whilst in flight - https://twitter.com/NASAMars/status/...520456/photo/1

- - - Updated - - -

Footage of the flight taken from Perseverance.

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/st...09173924089863