Thread: "Pay to win"

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ...
20
28
29
30
31
32
40
... LastLast
  1. #581
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    calling it leveling service instead of boost makes it sound different, but in reality its not... you pay someone to skip leveling or make it WAY faster, different day, same shite...
    "usualy turned into banned account" eh... no
    my guild made fortune boosting (hell my best mate paid for his dormitory with money he get from boosting) and selling items and whatever anyone wanted to buy, yet never even heard of anyone getting ban... blizz didnt really care about boosting or selling gold, they had issue only with people using it for phishing and shit
    was not sold by blizzard <------------------

    and yes those accounts were banned in waves, not all of them, but the ones that got caught, i know i had guildees who got banned for purchasing a leveling service, they got caught most likely cuz that leveling service used botting programs.

  2. #582
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Would any competition in the real world allow a runner to pay their way to start ahead of others?
    but with boost you start BEHIND people...
    people who played vanila have lvl 60, you have 58, they have epic gear, you have green, they have fast mount, you dont, they have a lot of gold, you dont, they have skilled profesions, you dont...

    sure, people who start now have neither, BUT then people who started long time ago and get it paid for sub so they technicaly are ahead bcs they PAID... doesnt that make it p2w by your definition? they paid and get advantage - time to play ahead of people starting now...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-05-28 at 03:28 PM.

  3. #583
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Bad equivalence. In game gold in classic has to be acquired within the game (not including gold traders). Your second point also paints the boost as a P2W with that analogy. Would any competition in the real world allow a runner to pay their way to start ahead of others? Paying for that advantage is a P2W feature.
    And you paid for that same advantage with the mage, are you not? The only difference is in the currency. So if I paid with USD its boosting, but if I paid with Euro it's not? The only thing you are saving is time. Time. Wooooo big win there against your fellow players. Also WoW isn't even a competitive game, outside of pvp and arena. And those things have absolutely nothing to do with the boost what so ever. Again, what are you "winning" that can be considered valuable in-game? Nothing but those crappy greens
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2021-05-28 at 03:24 PM.

  4. #584
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    was not sold by blizzard <------------------

    and yes those accounts were banned in waves, not all of them, but the ones that got caught, i know i had guildees who got banned for purchasing a leveling service, they got caught most likely cuz that leveling service used botting programs.
    sure it was not sold by blizzard, BUT it was sold for real life money (or for gold which was then sold for rl money) and gave advantage, so it was p2w...

    yeah, they had issue with botting, phishing, shady websites, shite that could be harmful to their customers, not boosting or gold seling in itself
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-05-28 at 03:27 PM.

  5. #585
    Elemental Lord Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Idk. Skipping 100+ hours at least of gameplay feels like pay to win to me.
    But it really isn't...pay to win is about getting a unnatural advantage over others who don't want to or can't afford to buy it themselves. All they're doing is saving time...they're not getting some unnatural advantage over other players. Boosted characters aren't going to be 10% more powerful than unboosted ones.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

  6. #586
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And you paid for that same advantage with the mage, are you not? The only difference is in the currency. So if I paid with USD its boosting, but if I paid with Euro it's not? The only thing you are saving is time. Time. Wooooo big win there against your fellow players. Also WoW isn't even a competitive game, outside of pvp and arena. And those things have absolutely nothing to do with the boost what so ever. Again, what are you "winning" that can be considered valuable in-game? Nothing but those crappy greens
    You are wrong because you view winning only as If i go into a competitive game and pay to beat the other team and i win then thats winning and pay 2 win. Winning can also be viewed in different ways. So for example, if i pay 2 boost a character from 1-58, well getting a "ding" for me and others is considered winning, i beat that level, so i beat 57 levels by boosting, i won 57 times and i payed for it, paying 2 win.

  7. #587
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And you paid for that same advantage with the mage, are you not?
    Person paying the mage is doing so with gold he/she earned through various means of already playing the game. It keeps the economy ingame. Nothing IRL money related plays a part.

    The only difference is in the currency. So if I paid with USD its boosting, but if I paid with Euro it's not?
    It doesn't matter what IRL currency you use.

    The only thing you are saving is time. Time. Wooooo big win there against your fellow players. Also WoW isn't even a competitive game, outside of pvp and arena. And those things have absolutely nothing to do with the boost what so ever. Again, what are you "winning" that can be considered valuable in-game? Nothing but those crappy greens.
    At the end of the day, it's all about time. Time is valuable in an MMO (or at least it should be). Time spent playing the game reward the player either levels towards max, gold, gear, materials, faction rep, etc. Allowing any of those to be available for IRL allows one to bypass time which is objectively an advantage. Would it be so different if they put gold behind a paywall? Reputation points? Materials that one would normally kill mobs for? It all boils down to paying to skip the time req. That is a clear advantage.

    Having said all that, I'm actually not against the boost as it is. You probably assumed I was, frankly, I'd prob pay the $40 to get a shaman to 58 then spend 80+ hours. It's still important not to ignore what the boost is which is a P2W feature. The boost doesn't immediately lead to a "win" but as you mentioned earlier, it allows you to get an advantage other others that didn't pay for one. And comparing paying some booster in game gold to RL money is again a terrible comparison.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  8. #588
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    You are wrong because you view winning only as If i go into a competitive game and pay to beat the other team and i win then thats winning and pay 2 win. Winning can also be viewed in different ways. So for example, if i pay 2 boost a character from 1-58, well getting a "ding" for me and others is considered winning, i beat that level, so i beat 57 levels by boosting, i won 57 times and i payed for it, paying 2 win.
    No because that's not how it works. You don't ''win'' a level you gain an advantage, but an advantage is still not winning that's why they are 2 different words.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Person paying the mage is doing so with gold he/she earned through various means of already playing the game. It keeps the economy ingame. Nothing IRL money related plays a part.
    Yeah if you're naive you can think that if you want.


    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    At the end of the day, it's all about time. Time is valuable in an MMO (or at least it should be).
    Now this sentiment I could get behind. I agree that time invested into an mmorpg makes the player more invested into his character, the game world, and is just better in general. But this is a 15 year old game that is being brought out purely for nostalgic reasons, so I'm a lot less caring about it in this situation tbh, especially since I already played all of TBC when it was live back in the day. I just want to do what I want to do I don't want to invest half my life in a game that's older than most posters here. That's what retail's for. That and maybe I'm just defeated in general with every game now having a level boost in it almost as if it's an industry standard at this point.
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2021-05-28 at 04:04 PM.

  9. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yeah if you're naive you can think that if you want.
    I don't deny there are gold selling activities in classic WoW, but that is outside of the argument.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  10. #590
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I don't deny there are gold selling activities in classic WoW, but that is outside of the argument.
    Why? Your point is you want to protect the 'sanctity' of the in-game wow economy, and I just laugh at that notion due to how corrupt and ridiculous it already has become (always was?)

  11. #591
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    btw, calling someone "Retard" bcs they have different opinion on something shows nicely what you are
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post

    sure, people who start now have neither, BUT then people who started long time ago and get it paid for sub so they technicaly are ahead bcs they PAID... doesnt that make it p2w by your definition? they paid and get advantage - time to play ahead of people starting now...
    See you complain about people calling others retards and then post this. Shows what you are
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

  12. #592
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    See you complain about people calling others retards and then post this. Shows what you are
    if you want to be consistent, then people who will use their vanila char in TBC instead of starting completely from start are using p2w, by HIS OWN definition - they have advantage, that they paid for...

    i know, it doesnt support your narrative so you disagree, but bending your own definitions to fit what you want is beyond stupid... then again, some people prefer to use mental gymnasticsrather than logic and consistency...

  13. #593
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    if you want to be consistent, then people who will use their vanila char in TBC instead of starting completely from start are using p2w, by HIS OWN definition - they have advantage, that they paid for...

    i know, it doesnt support your narrative so you disagree, but bending your own definitions to fit what you want is beyond stupid... then again, some people prefer to use mental gymnasticsrather than logic and consistency...
    Suggest people have all paid to win because they chose a game requiring a sub and played it...... Talks about the "other" people doing mental gymnastics.

    Fucking kekw. You should get paid for this.

    Next up - "You paid box price for the game, Nyahaa!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

  14. #594
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    8,467
    I honestly don't get why people are actually complaining about the ability to start TBC classic at L58 lol.

    Back in the day nobody started TBC at L1 we pretty much all started at L60, and a LOT of people are going to want an authentic TBC Classic experience without having to play WoW Classic, thus a boost to L58 (should have been L60 IMO) is mandatory for a proper TBC experience.

    I can understand a lot of Vanilla purists thinking that people should play Classic WoW to get to TBC Classic, but here's the thing, TBC was significantly more popular than Vanilla WoW, this means there are going to be a LOT of players who are interested in TBC Classic who had zero interest in WoW Classic. If Blizzard had gatekeepered TBC Classic from a large portion (if not the majority) of the potential playerbase that would have been flat out retarded.

  15. #595
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,045
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I love these kinds of replies. They make me quite happy. This person hates the capitalist greed that microtransactions supposedly represent ... but is typing to a forum, using the internet, from a phone or a computer, which only exists because of guess what... capitalism......
    I always laugh at these know-it-alls who conflate technology with capitalism. If we were in the 18th century, it would be like a monarchist telling to a revoutionary "but the food you eat was sown, harvested and prepared by feudal serfs!!11!!1one"

    Hint: technology has accompanied mankind for much, MUCH, MUCH longer than capitalism. Mankind was already developing technology well before capitalism was ever a thing. Try to get your facts straight next time.
    If the Janitor managed to pwn Azeroth:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "Die, wold soul of *incomprehensible mumbling* with your death my plan to *incomoprehensible mumbling* finally fullfilled and *incomprehensible mumbling*!"

  16. #596
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Suggest people have all paid to win because they chose a game requiring a sub and played it...... Talks about the "other" people doing mental gymnastics.
    "
    no its simple use of logic, if you use brain you might realise that you dont have to pay a single cent for sub, you can earn it ingame (via token)...
    so you can either farm gold for hours and weeks, OR you can avoid that chore and use your wallet... so by HIS definition, its p2w, its advantage (saved time) gained by paying...

    bcs how is it different from a boost? you dont want to spend hours farming gold/leveling, so you pay real money to skip it and get what you want without work, if one is p2w in his definition the other must be too...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-05-29 at 06:14 AM.

  17. #597
    Mechagnome Piesor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    504
    I do not care about the fact that you can boost too much from a "pay-to-win" perspective. Those players have to level through TBC anyway and have a harder time than other players since they have less gear. It just looks worse right now since we are still in the prepatch with lvl60 cap.

    What's more annoying: players get another incentive to reroll to a S-Tier class. The BGs are filled with Hunters and SL-Locks in greens and R13 spaulders. And when T6 content hits the servers most of those peoples will reroll to Rogue / Warrior to get their glaives. Hunter has always been my main and will also be my first lvl70 char. However I am already considering rolling a priest or shaman for raiding since I don't want the lootdrama with 4-8 hunters in a 25 man raid.

  18. #598
    who cares about boost while you can level fresh character in a week or two
    that also works on horde pala nad aly shama

  19. #599
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    247
    WoW Tokens and Blizzard's overall lack of shits given towards boosting communities have done a lot more to make WoW "pay to win" than a once-only level 58 character boost purchase has.

    Currently in WoW the only viable way to achieve Curve or KSM is to purchase boosts. It is damn near impossible to pug your way to the top because your lack of achievements and gear will get you rejected from every group you try to join. Boosting and elitism has created a literal catch-22 scenario.

    If Blizzard truly care about the integrity of their game, it's not the multiboxers they should be going after, it's the boosting communities. Especially when loads of them are now accepting real world money in some shape or form as part of their business model, in direct violation of the game's EULA.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Piesor View Post
    I do not care about the fact that you can boost too much from a "pay-to-win" perspective. Those players have to level through TBC anyway and have a harder time than other players since they have less gear. It just looks worse right now since we are still in the prepatch with lvl60 cap.

    What's more annoying: players get another incentive to reroll to a S-Tier class. The BGs are filled with Hunters and SL-Locks in greens and R13 spaulders. And when T6 content hits the servers most of those peoples will reroll to Rogue / Warrior to get their glaives. Hunter has always been my main and will also be my first lvl70 char. However I am already considering rolling a priest or shaman for raiding since I don't want the lootdrama with 4-8 hunters in a 25 man raid.
    As somebody who played Hunter throughout BC and Wrath, I'd encourage you not to play the class. Hunters do not get good until Cataclysm at the very earliest.

    In PvP you're gimped by the dead zone which can easily be manipulated by mages, warriors and rogues in 1v1 duels for a quick defeat. Hunters are the only ranged class with a minimum attack range.

    As for PvE, good luck getting a raid spot. You may be offered one if you're willing to go on bitch-duty and play Survival to stack Expose Weakness. Otherwise, more than one BM Hunter in a 10-man or two in a 25-man raid is seen as a liability. Especially when you'll be ordered to dismiss your pet or get /gkicked by idiot guild leaders retaining their Vanilla "pets are bad" mentality who don't understand that your pet will be doing much of the damage.

  20. #600
    Elemental Lord sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    WORST country on earth (aka egypt)
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the ods of you getting a bis item was in the ballpark of 0.01%,but ofc the ah was filled with those items,that someone could just buy with $$$$
    the chance of getting BiS for my protadin during Legion nighthold raid was if i raided non-stop for 4 years average, i calculated it myself, and it is why it killed my raiding desire in first place
    remember in legion we had many items that don't proc, tier sets, weapon, legos, and i think also trinkets? yet it takes average 4 years to complete full BiS for my pally, and if u are unlucky u can get to 10 years
    in comparison during wrath i actually got full set from crusade and icc raids, while got a couple of items from Ulduar (hm was hard and we didn't finish) and got best gear from non-hm ulduar, basically i was always near best gear, reason i didn't get best set in ulduar wasn't because it never dropped to me, but because I never was able to do the hardmode itself
    in wrath i had paladin and priest always raid-gear ready for guild, with rogue dps semi-ready, and all from raiding, in MoP (start of WF, was still ignored) I had a druid and a paladin, in Legion i was planning the same, saw the brutal reality for my paladin, decided to fuck it and enjoy the amazing class hall campaigns (unless u are priest), it did give me a LOT of fun, but a non-raiding fun

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Clbull View Post
    WoW Tokens and Blizzard's overall lack of shits given towards boosting communities have done a lot more to make WoW "pay to win" than a once-only level 58 character boost purchase has.

    Currently in WoW the only viable way to achieve Curve or KSM is to purchase boosts. It is damn near impossible to pug your way to the top because your lack of achievements and gear will get you rejected from every group you try to join. Boosting and elitism has created a literal catch-22 scenario.

    If Blizzard truly care about the integrity of their game, it's not the multiboxers they should be going after, it's the boosting communities. Especially when loads of them are now accepting real world money in some shape or form as part of their business model, in direct violation of the game's EULA.
    they won't, because that increases - a LOT - the token wow economy, they know what they doing, blizzard know and record every whisper we say in-game (can't remember why but a GM years like back in TBC showed me whisper i made to a friend), Bobby Kodick can't get his 30 million bonus on sub numbers alone
    And while token economy did drive a lot of players, it sadly still made far more profit from whales to give a fuck about half of population that left, that's how mobile games work, u have 90% of poor playerbase that exist to makes the whales feel satisfied with their superiority in game with their cash
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •