Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't mind the price, but I'm going to wait with a purchase until I see some honest reviews. I haven't forgotten warcraft 3 reforged.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkas View Post
    I don't mind the price, but I'm going to wait with a purchase until I see some honest reviews. I haven't forgotten warcraft 3 reforged.
    I am definitely going to be pessimistic of this shit as well. I don't like the Price, but I will wait for its release just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Name a single company that has released a "passion project" that they didn't expect to make a profit on.
    no man's sky is probably is probably the best known example in recent history. guess you can argue if that's a remake or just fixing their broken product, but they definitely did it for free instead of making the new content DLC.

It remains to be seen if other publishers will follow 2K's lead and make $70 a new de facto standard for big-budget console game pricing. But while $70 would match the high-water mark for nominal game pricing, it wouldn't be a historically high asking price in terms of actual value. Thanks to inflation and changes in game distribution, in fact, the current ceiling for game prices has never been lower.
    yeah except 10 years ago, before the rise of DLC and microtransactions, before the death of deep discount sales, that was actually believable. nowadays a $70 "big budget console game" that doesn't have a season pass and has a life expectancy of more than 1-2 years is the exception not the rule.

inflation is a nice argument to use, but one easily countered by the rather explosive growth of the market in the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    yeah except 10 years ago, before the rise of DLC and microtransactions, before the death of deep discount sales, that was actually believable. nowadays a $70 "big budget console game" that doesn't have a season pass and has a life expectancy of more than 1-2 years is the exception not the rule.
    Hasn't Nintendo gone with a pricier model than most for much of a decade or more now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    $40 is pretty reasonable.
    Will you buy me a copy
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    no man's sky is probably is probably the best known example in recent history. guess you can argue if that's a remake or just fixing their broken product, but they definitely did it for free instead of making the new content DLC.
    That's not comparable at all. The DLC For No Man's Sky wasn't a remake or adding "new content". It was adding the content that should have been there at launch. It was even worse than WC3:RF.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2021-02-26 at 02:41 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    That's the thing. From what I heard, it is not a brand new game. They are supposed to be using the old game engine, "just" with updated graphics. There's nothing wrong with that, especially since the game is still just fine, but the pricetag for it is quite steep.

I think what happened to AoE2 should be considered golden standard for remasters. It costs 20 bucks, revived the community around the franchise and is still being actively developed and balanced a year after its release, even getting new civs (sure, for a pricetag, but I don't think anyone would have issues paying for new d2 content as well).

If the game gets continued support beyond bugfixes for that pricetag (say, seasons ala d3, new class, ...) the price might be justified. Otherwise it's ripoff banking on Blizz name stamped on it to sell. Especially since everyone is locked up in their home.
    Just out of curiosity, is w3 getting any kind of support?
    Look im not going to say it's cheap, it is certainly expensive. However, i'm more than willing to pay for it for the reasons stated. AOE2 for $20 is cheap although for me personally, I can only play AOE2 for a few hours before I get bored - D2 I could play for multiple days straight.

They're reasonably comparative on a performance basis

On its debut day, Diablo II sold 184,000 units.[42] The game's global sales reached 1 million copies after two weeks,[43] and 2 million after one and a half months.
    v.
    In January 2000, three months after its release, Microsoft had shipped two million copies of The Age of Kings.

By seasons I assume you mean Ladder resets but with new content?

From what I can see w3 is getting support but it is in such a poor state that support is pretty pathetic. It's more expensive and certainly not worth it's price tag in it's current state.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Doesn't help that this isn't even a true "remake". It's more or less just the old game with some slight HD updates to it, as well as some "quality of life" changes. Definitely not worth spending 40 fucking dollars on.
    if u dont think its worth spending 40 dollars on it, just dont do it ? if enough ppl dont buy it for that proce, blizzard will lower the price. until that, if you want it, you will need to pay that price
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    It's greedy, and uninspired. And, like I already mentioned before, I could get much better "remakes" of multiple products (For example: The N Sane Trilogy, WHICH LEGIT REMADE THE FIRST 3 CRASH GAMES! THAT LITERALLY SLAPS ANYTHING D2 or WC3 RELATED) for a lesser price!
    So you should betther buy this ?

From my point of view, D2R will Cost about 40 Bucks. Even if i spend only 10 hours in it, thats 4 Bucks/hour. Cheap entertainment! Watching a soccer game, cinema, etc is way more expensive/hour. Even driving around for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    If you don't like the price, don't pay it. The game company sets the price they want you to pay, and you can say yes, or no. You don't get to run the company and set the prices.

That's how the real world works.

Besides, surely some of you have gotten jobs since D2, haven't you? 40 bucks is pocket change if you like the game. If 40 bucks is too much, maybe you need to not be spending on games anyway?

Again, it's luxury pixels. Don't like the price, don't pay it.

Don't you love how we true D2 fans FINALLY get the remaster we've been begging for, and the hordes of people come crawling from under rocks to bitch and moan about every little detail?

I'd gladly pay full price for D2 Remaster, i've been wanting this shit for so long and am so hyped it's beyond reason.
    It is my #1 favorite game of all time thus far, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon now that the remaster has been revealed and coming out in December (hopefully) sooner.
    I will happily sink another 10-15 years of my life back into this game

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    ... That's exactly my point? Do you even read and try to understand what you're replying to?
    only art assets are being changed, and only slightly improved. For instance, simply replacing a 3D model with a more detailed model.
    Thats not what you wrote. You wrote IF this is what you are doing, then its more then just a graphics polish. I'm saying, you cant do this. You use sprites for 2d but for 3d you need actual models and rigs.

Its getting kinda redundant at this point. I think you have mostly come 180 since the start anyway, now we are just arguing semantics.

Personally i am developer who has spendt a lot of free time in unity and recently in blender. I know a fair amount about this stuff.

If you dont, perhaps dont insert yourself into these discussions

How can someone expect to be taken seriously when they write shit like "it's simply turning a 2D graphic in 3D". You have no clue about video game development and design if you write things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkas View Post
    How can someone expect to be taken seriously when they write shit like "it's simply turning a 2D graphic in 3D". You have no clue about video game development and design if you write things like that.
    Who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Thats not what you wrote. You wrote IF this is what you are doing, then its more then just a graphics polish. I'm saying, you cant do this. You use sprites for 2d but for 3d you need actual models and rigs.

Its getting kinda redundant at this point. I think you have mostly come 180 since the start anyway, now we are just arguing semantics.

Personally i am developer who has spendt a lot of free time in unity and recently in blender. I know a fair amount about this stuff.
    If you dont, perhaps dont insert yourself into these discussions
    It's not semantics, it's you completely misconstruing what I'm saying and even claiming I've stated things which I just simply haven't.

You were saying that what they're doing in D2R is just a "graphics polish". I said: "Calling it a 'graphics polish' implies only art assets are being changed, and only slightly improved. For instance, simply replacing a 3D model with a more detailed model. Or a low-resolution texture with a high-resolution texture."

I am explaining what you calling it a graphics polish implies, in my view, and giving an example of what would actually be a "graphics polish". Nowhere did I ever say that you can simply replace 2D sprites with 3D models - my entire point is that you can't do it, you need to build or implement a 3D graphics engine for that and build 3D models from scratch - which is why it's frankly ignorant to call it a "graphics polish", especially when apparently you know so much about it.

You could have spent a lifetime doing it and still be wrong. Be humble. The day you think you know everything is the day you stop learning.

You don't need to spent a lot of free time in unity/blender/gamedev to understand that what they're doing is not just a "graphics polish" when they clearly state that they are developing an entire new graphics engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    If you feel this way and still buy their products.... jokes on you and you're weak, weak ethics. But I get it. The flesh is weak.
    You say that, but you're also buying their products. I wonder what the average intellect on this board is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    SNIP
    You were saying that what they're doing in D2R is just a "graphics polish".

In the D2 remaster they add polish on top of the old game engine running beneath. Its literally the same engine. They are adding a few features but they arent changing any code.

No i didnt. I stated they where adding polish on top of the old game engine. Not that they where "just" doing that. The takeaway from this, and the original discussion(the one i'm talking about you did a 180 on after moving goalposts anc changing the discussion to be about what a graphics overhal entails instead of if they where changing the actual game engine btw) is that they arent changing the core engine, they are only messing with graphics.

I never stated they didnt make a new graphics engine.

Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-02-27 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copey View Post
    Don't you love how we true D2 fans FINALLY get the remaster we've been begging for, and the hordes of people come crawling from under rocks to bitch and moan about every little detail?

I'd gladly pay full price for D2 Remaster, i've been wanting this shit for so long and am so hyped it's beyond reason.
    It is my #1 favorite game of all time thus far, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon now that the remaster has been revealed and coming out in December (hopefully) sooner.
    I will happily sink another 10-15 years of my life back into this game
    So true.

This whole discussion is, word-for-word, the same crap the haters spew about Classic since it was announced.

"SUB? LUL, DEAD GAME"
    "HAHA SHIT GRAPHICS, NO ONE WILL PLAY!"
    "HAHAHA DEAD ON ARRIVAL"
    "NOT EVEN NEW CONTENT!"

Dudes, give it a fucking rest. If you don't want to buy it, don't! If you do, go for it! This whole discussion is absurd, starting with the morons that expect a developed product to be free or at their desired price tag. I'm pretty sure you also work for free, 'uh?

Shit, i paid 80€ (equivalent to portuguese escudos, before inflation) for Mortal Kombat (MegaDrive) ~15 years ago, why wouldn't i pay 40€ for an assured thousands of hours of playtime on my favorite game -ever-? All i wanted was a graphical overhaul, and we're getting that plus a lot of QOL (shared stash, maybe seasons revamped, bla bla).

Just move the fuck along. Why does it bother you so much that people are actually happy about this.

Never has entertainment been so cheap. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Look im not going to say it's cheap, it is certainly expensive. However, i'm more than willing to pay for it for the reasons stated. AOE2 for $20 is cheap although for me personally, I can only play AOE2 for a few hours before I get bored - D2 I could play for multiple days straight.

They're reasonably comparative on a performance basis

On its debut day, Diablo II sold 184,000 units.[42] The game's global sales reached 1 million copies after two weeks,[43] and 2 million after one and a half months.
    v.
    In January 2000, three months after its release, Microsoft had shipped two million copies of The Age of Kings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lling_PC_games

Diablo II: 4 million Copies sold

Age of Kings: 2 million Copies sold

Not so comparable in the long term.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Never played the original, will pay the price set for the remaster, if it's not Warcraft III all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lling_PC_games

Diablo II: 4 million Copies sold

Age of Kings: 2 million Copies sold

Not so comparable in the long term.
    That's not a strong source for final sales volume. I got my numbers from Wiki too but couldnt find a final # report and the source on those are pretty bad.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/age-of-em...million-units/

Unsure how many of the AOE's that includes but if they're reporting 2 mill after 3 months they're sure as heck going to see more for all time.
    Also your logic that they are not comparable in the long term is odd because they've both been high award winning/top selling games for the years of their release and came out around similar time. They've both continued to have players and with a remaster AOE has seen a surge in players too.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Also your logic that they are not comparable in the long term is odd because they've both been high award winning/top selling games for the years of their release and came out around similar time. They've both continued to have players and with a remaster AOE has seen a surge in players too.
    And, according to my numbers, Diablo sold twice as many copies.

That's what makes them not comparable. One game was vastly more popular than the other.