Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Am I the only one who thinks this new patch is gonna be boring?

I must be honest: I did love Shadowlands. I loved its lore, its quests, its characters... But now, with this new patch, it's the first time I feel like I barely care about its storyline. I feel they're focusing the story on characters that don't really fit in this expansion (Anduin), forgetting other storylines that are far more interesting (Sister of the Winter Queen?????). I feel Shadowlands has become another stage where characters we all now are the main protagonists, whereas others who could have a really cool development are forgotten after five quests...

Honestly, I couldn't care less about Anduin and the Jailer;
    the main antagonist is a joke. Shadowlands is becoming a boring place, and for me it has lost its attractiveness.

What do you think? Do you like how the expansion is being developed?
    Last edited by Nork; 2021-02-21 at 10:56 AM.

I think Anduin will be the best Lich King EVARRR! Yas king slay!

15+ Year Old Account
    Very much agree. What the hell is that Island. Wooooow a new Island in never land when they say there are infinite more land masses in that dimension. I just hope this xpac won't last long and we're back on azeroth soon. Still loving the game but this xpac is not my cup of tea
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

The story is just there to justify content, so I tend not to pay it any attention. The story you come up with playing with other people is a lot more interesting than any story the writers could come up with

you haven't even played it yet how can you know if it's boring or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Very much agree. What the hell is that Island. Wooooow a new Island in never land when they say there are infinite more land masses in that dimension. I just hope this xpac won't last long and we're back on azeroth soon. Still loving the game but this xpac is not my cup of tea
    You know literally nothing about that island. Literally - nothing.

And you are sitting here whining about out.

I just cant even...

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    I must be honest: I did love Shadowlands. I loved its lore, its quests, its characters... But now, with this new patch, it's the first time I feel like I barely care about its storyline. I feel they're focusing the story on characters that don't really fit in this expansion (Anduin), forgetting other storylines that are far more interesting (Sister of the Winter Queen?????). I feel Shadowlands has become another stage where characters we all now are the main protagonists, whereas others who could have a really cool development are forgotten after five quests...

Honestly, I couldn't care less about Anduin and the Jailer;
    the main antagonist is a joke. Shadowlands is becoming a boring place, and for me it has lost its attractiveness.

What do you think? Do you like how the expansion is being developed?
    Yes. You are the only one.

seen a tiny pit of the side of the landmass and 2 chains. The new islands is boring!

Can we atleast play the fucking content before judging it, gjeez

Have you even seen enough of the new landmass to determined if it's "boring" or not? They've shown 1 screen shot and a couple of wildlife.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

If I have to judge it off what little I have seen so far? No.

Right now it seems like just another Maw landmass with some trees on it. The raid seems like it's gonna consist majorly of already existing Torghast assets and the raid sets are already said to have the appearance of the legendary items we got for launch.

The mega-dungeon looks pretty cool and quirky and all that, nothing negative to say about that other than the fact that sewer lid mounts are boring.

There is no hope for SL. It will end worse than BFA.

The whole SL is around this unknown villain Jailer with his puppet banshee. The story is so illogical, that it is laughable at the moment.

It's a terrible xpac, the questing was good mostly but the end game is crap

Shadowlands has been boring and uninspired since day 1, worse than BFA imo

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks y'all will still be playing? Despite finding it boring, not caring, laugheable, illogical etc etc?
    Ofc we will.

I can't describe how I f*cking hate this game right now. I hate it with a burning passion, it is so utterly bad in every aspect. But I've been playing this game for 15 years and I don't want to give it up. It is like a hatelove. Everytime I log in I could vomit, but then again I will never forget what made this game once so good.

Am I the only one who thinks y'all will still be playing? Despite finding it boring, not caring, laugheable, illogical etc etc?
    Are you personally involved with the development of WoW? You spend a lot of time being very defensive about criticism of the game.

How do I know if you are the only one??? What is this useless question?

Ridiculous, LOL

As far as I'm concerned, I can't pay attention to a "threat" that just happens to appear out of nowhere. One essential rule in storytelling is "show, don't tell" and I have a feeling that the Jailer's malevolence is merely a fog. In any case, they should show off the enemy's martial or strategic prowess instead of telling us he's a sort of a king in his dominion. Was Denathrius ever powerful ? Were it not for his race, known for planning devious schemes, I would not have felt any threat in spite of his condescending lines (which are really catchy nonetheless !) .

Besides, everything in this expansion feels underwhelming even though the environment really is full of life ; the background is excellent but behind, everything seems so empty. What is the Winter Queen ? Is she anything more than a passive NPC with just as much power to be quite mighty yet useless ? What about the ascended ones (when they ever stop complaining) ? Everything looks depressingly powerless even though I shouldn't be in position to look down on these secular beings. Only Maldraxxus felt different.
    Characters are supposed to embody something much greater. Ascended should never, ever be afflicted by hubris and guess what ? That's the core of their campaign ! And guess what ? It's also the core of Revendreth's main toy / character ! I guess it's the same for Maldraxxus champion, whoever he might be (Garrosh I suppose ?) . The afterlife thus is nothing more than our actual life in Azeroth with different environment and in my opinion, it's a major flaw when you are actually supposed to tell a story.
    I even witnessed a piece of one campaign dealing with the death (or disappearance ?) of a named creature that we get to know within a few quests... Like really ? Death is everywhere, people will keep coming into the 4 zones, and we should be sad about 1 soul leaving ? Shall we dig a grave so that it gets to rest peacefully in the after-afterlife ?

I'm not talking about other flaws, such as the easy rescue of our leaders. OK time is not supposed to be the same, but aside from a few lines, I only have the impression that they spent a few days (or equivalent) in the Maw, being tortured by nobody-knows-what... And since we can't get to see or understand exactly what they suffered from, I guess it might have been just a little more than being spoiled their favorite netflix shows. But then again we should get to be spectators of such painful experiences, not just being told it has hurt them. Rescuing our leaders quickly is not a problem but the way we save them is underwhelming too, because we don't really understand what they ran away from.

As for the characters, there are some good points I must confess : in every cutscenes, their attitude helps us understand the depth of their feelings and their behaviour are immediately recognizable. When Anduin move, I know he bears a heavy duty as much as I can see his naïveté ; Sylvanas acting also betrays her dilemma as much as her threatening aura reminds us how powerful she can be. Both have clear strength as much as vivid weaknesses. If any of them (or possibly any chracter) happened to be mind-controlled, we'd see it instantly, which is very hard to render.
    We don't know much about each character motivation though and it makes it difficult to have an honest judgment about their development. However, according to the last argument between Anduin and Sylvanas, it seems pretty obvious that he will get corrupted for a time and be freed, so as to become what Arthas would've been if he had been able to save his people ; thus trying to lure us into thinking we like Anduin because he would be an Arthas who succeeded, whom most people appreciate. As for Sylvanas, I guess she'll help the Jailer up until she can save Anduin and then get killed or incapacitated.
    If such puerile scenario ever happened, I wouldn't be surprised and considering what scenario I've seen thus far, I dare not try to get hyped...

And for all these reasons, every aspect of Shadowlands story looks dull to me... But the expansion just started so I can't help expecting stuff just as you do : the Winter Queen (and her sister), the Primus, too many named NPC albeit too trivial for me to remember, ancient characters that reappear, covenant starting to have proper identities aside from being different environments, possibly new zones that aren't just "dark and baaaaaad" places and so on.
    I would also appreciate it very much if the Jailer had any personnality on top of being bad, cold, cruel and whatever generic vilains are. Having a big hole within his chest doesn't make him unique, it only makes it harder for him to breathe as far as I can tell.

Actually as far as I can tell, I really enjoy Shadowlands... Except everything around the "scenario" now that I think about it. I really wish they put much more work into it (or simply change the people in charge) .

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    There is no hope for SL. It will end worse than BFA.
    Impossible. It has better classes & less of a grind, making it automatically better than BfA to me BfA was undoubtedly my least favourite expansion of all time.

But hey, opinions n all that.

some more broker lore might be interesting.

but yeah not expecting too much of the patch as they are obviously still behind schedule, it'll probably be a fairly bland by the book patch.

flying will be super useless too with all the zones being separated by a loading screen (and obviously it won't work in the new zone).

3+ Year Old Account
    There's no new customizations so I can agree. That cosmetic armor looks cool though, and the Broker dungeon
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.