15+ Year Old Account

50-60 leveling tips, having hard time

I'm trying to level up my second alt and I'm really having a hard time playing as a rogue.
    At lvl 51 I bought 100 ilvl daggers since my old ones were 50 ilvl, but that did not help at all.
    I feel like I'm doing crap damage. The leveling speed is crawling.
    It's not like I'm clueless, I have a 220 ilvl warrior and 216 ilvl priest and do both pvp and pve.

Even with a healer, it's really hard to kill things.
    I multibox with a resto druid on follow, but not the illegal scripting and external app one, just follow and alt-tab a few heals when needed.

Are rogues this bad at leveling?

We'll, I like to just hop on icyveins when Im on an alt and doing bad. You could also buy some 87, or 117 item level BOE's from AH.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

What spec are you? Since you mentioned daggers I'm thinking either Sub or Assassination. Assassination is pretty bad at leveling, a lot of its damage is bleeds and poisons and that doesn't translate well to a burst damage environment. Sub can be more useful in that respect, though it requires a lot of setup all the time.

Personally I just prepare Outlaw because of its ease of use. Pull things, pew pew, dead. Has the added advantage of being good in dungeons, which might honestly be the fastest way to level atm anyway.

I also leveled an undergeared rogue a few weeks ago. Cannot say I had big issues killing normal mobs in subtlety spec, you can virtually stunlock them and actually kill single mobs decently fast. When there were two inseparatable I just sapped one.
    For elite quests I used the group finder (or simply skipped them).

It wasn't blindly pulling everything I see as on my hunter or warlock, but it also didn't feel particularly hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, Rogues just aren't much good at leveling. You can't expect to chain-pull like with a Warrior (Constant grouping of 5 mobs on my Fury and doing fine), and even Priests are in a much, MUCH better spot for lvling then Rogues.

Rogues just have a lack of sustain healing.. Combat/Outlaw, which is the best at killing multiple mobs, has the least sustain of the 3 rogue specs. Sub, which has the most sustain, is the worst at killing multiple mobs, though it can burst singles down quickly. Ass is just ass atm.

All other specs have some form of sustain. Warrior, which you mentioned, can easily grab 5 mobs (Arms/Fury) up to nearly unlimited (Prot) mobs at a time and be fine. Priests are also solid for large pulls regardless of spec now. Mages just slow and root everything and never get touched.

But Rogues? Rogues go squish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips. Bought some better gear (some armor parts were ilvl 50). Seems to be going a bit smoother now.
    I think it's the druid that's dragging me down. It's pretty much on auto-follow and throwing a heal or two, but boss mobs increase in hp.

I have a crafter for each gear type so as soon as i get a character to 50 i get them in full 87s with 100 weapons and start chain running dungeons (I believe you need an 85 ilvl or 90, something like that to start dungeons in ToF.) Leather should be some of the cheaper stuff on the AH too, one run of Tirna val (sp?) can get you a half a stack of leather from the worms.
    I'm a thread killer.

leveling as subtlety was a bitch to do. got to 60 and choose covenant.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

I found it easy levelling as sub, certainly easier than as warlock or priest. Pretty much everything would die before subterfuge ends.

I leveled my rogue as Sub without any troubles. Just take Soothing Darkness for the passive 3% heal per second during stealth and shadow dance and Elusiveness to mitigate 30% dmg with feint and you are golden. Then you still have Crimson Vial and Evasion if the fight drags on and Vanish if still things go south.

Also, forget about chain pulling as if you were any other class. Different classes are different. If you need to face a group of tough mobs, theres Sap and Blind to buy you some breathing time while you work on your focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    I leveled my rogue as Sub without any troubles. Just take Soothing Darkness for the passive 3% heal per second during stealth and shadow dance and Elusiveness to mitigate 30% dmg with feint and you are golden. Then you still have Crimson Vial and Evasion if the fight drags on and Vanish if still things go south.

Also, forget about chain pulling as if you were any other class. Different classes are different. If you need to face a group of tough mobs, theres Sap and Blind to buy you some breathing time while you work on your focus.
    Basically this. Didn't have any issue leveling as sub because burst is decent and you have really good sustain. Just get used to a "pick one, kill one" playstyle. Once you restealth you're gonna have most of your hp back in a matter of seconds.

There's gonna be a bad window between reaching 60 and getting some 190-ish gear where your stats are scaled down and your gear sucks - especially weapons. But once you have around 195 ilvl things will be fine again.

If you plan to do any PvE content that's not open world, just respec Outlaw. Atm is the only really functional spec for anything relevant.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Just take Soothing Darkness for the passive 3% heal per second during stealth and shadow dance and Elusiveness to mitigate 30% dmg with feint and you are golden.
    If only you could do that.. but since they are on the same talent row, you can't have both, for leveling Soothing Darkness is obviously far far better than Elusiveness.

I started questing in SL on my alt rogue at lvl 48 in aroung 48-50 avarage ilvl and everything works out fine so far. At lvl 56 in 104ilvl I can manage to kill elite quest mobs with 50-60k health too, but as others already said, you have to focus on single target kills and forget about aoe. Go with this build and use ss-cs-ss-evis-mfd-evis without snd running and ss-evis-ss-evis-mfd-evis with snd up. If it doesn't bring mobs down to like 5% hp, you can then dance-ss-evis. Elite mobs with 40k+ hp require the use of shadow blades and sometimes evasion too but as long as they can be stunned/slowed you can can't lose, just kite with shiv until stun dr is off (you can use shadowstep for the few second sprint too).

marked for death + soothin darkness + l2p

Lol. As seliar said you cant take double talents. Also you shouldnt even need crimson/evasion. If you are needing those you're likely doing it wrong.

Spec sub - Stealth straight to mission objectives, only kill what you need to kill. We're not boomkins with mad AoE.

Stealth - Shadowstrike x 2 - Eviscerate - Marked for death - Eviscerate.

Doing that normally kills 99% of non elite mobs. Then you have shadow dance and symbols of death/shadowblades for the tougher enemies which melt them

And pick up soothing darkness and premeditation and nightstalker/dark shadow which are great passives also for leveling/world content in general.

Shadow technique is a nice spell too for some extra damage if your gear is lacking.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2021-02-22 at 08:26 PM.