Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Theory: "Zovaal, the Jailer" is an Impostor

This one is outlandish, but I feel it's interesting. I believe there's a possibility that the "Zovaal" we've met and know as the big bad of Shadowlands is not actually the true Zovaal: instead, he's taken on the name and title of the true Jailer.

The first time you actually hear the name Zovaal in Shadowlands its as follows:

Voice of the Primus says: I am the Primus. Your presence within my sanctum means a darkness has fallen upon Maldraxxus... and all the realms of Death.
    Voice of the Primus says: Ages ago, the Eternal Ones punished our brother Zovaal for his treachery. He was bound within the inescapable Maw, to be forevermore its Jailer.
    So this confirms that when the Eternal Ones are talking about the Jailer, they mean "Zovaal". What's interesting though is that the Zovaal we meet in game -is- in charge of the Maw... but he does NOT resemble a Jailer. Instead he resembles a prisoner: he has the shaved head, tattoos and shirtless aesthetic, broken chains on his wrists, etc. Hell in the rendered cinematic he's even imprisoned, so we know he WAS a prisoner once.

But... why would they imprison someone who is supposed to be the realm's Jailer? Isn't the Jailer supposed to run the prison, not be imprisoned himself?

Enter the Runecarver. The identity of this guy is a mystery and people have guessed he's the Primus, though that has yet to be confirmed. He has a huge powerset of domination powers, can make magical armor like the Armor of Domination and Frostmourne, and is a weird looking giant with a mystery head. On the topic of domination magic, the recent trailer shows that the runes on domination armor actually impose domination magic on the wearer (they glow when Anduin is being controlled).

So... why exactly is Zovaal COVERED in these runes? Why would the Jailer put domination runes on HIMSELF? They're on his forehead for gods sake. I think it's likely that someone else put those runes on him to dominate him and keep him in check.

Let's go back a bit to when we saw the first leaked image of "The Jailer".

He was a bearded old man decked out in robes, a domination crown and cool floaty armor. He had long pointy fingers and claws, chains all over him, but unlike Zovaal he isn't actually chained to anything nor are his armor pieces. He isn't a prisoner: he's the lord of the prison, even has that cool floating crest that the M+ meta mounts have.

You know who else has long clawed fingers, tattered robes, and ACTUALLY uses domination magic to make things himself as opposed to needing another person or smithee to create items? The Runecarver.

I think there's a very likely possibility that the Runecarver is the TRUE Jailer of the Maw (or whatever it used to be called) and that may make him actually the one they call Zovaal. In that case... big white baldy may be a complete mystery as to who he is. He could really be something that was imprisoned in the tower and took over, taking Zovaal's name and title as a disguise to make the Eternal Ones think Zovaal (the Runecarver who they did send to the Maw for something bad) is the one pulling the strings.

It's worth noting that none of the Eternal Ones have yet to see "the Jailer" himself... and if they do, they may realize they're fighting the wrong guy.
    Last edited by Nagawithlegs; 2021-02-22 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but the thing is The Jailer is as much of a prisoner of the maw as he is the warden...that is his punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but the thing is The Jailer is as much of a prisoner of the maw as he is the warden...that is his punishment
    I agree, but considering nobody escapes the Maw, you could still be a Warden able to move around and be a prisoner in that realm as well.

Having the Jailer be locked deep away in the realm is a bit counterintuitive.

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    I mean your theory definitely has some legs and adds to some intrigue as to who this new shadowy figure is who is pulling the strings... However that concept art of the Runecarver just has me more convinced he's the Primus.

5+ Year Old Account
    Damn it, they look very similar and guess what? Voice of Primus sounds quite different than Runecarver. Then how to explain his weapon crafting skills?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofVashj View Post
    I mean your theory definitely has some legs and adds to some intrigue as to who this new shadowy figure is who is pulling the strings... However that concept art of the Runecarver just has me more convinced he's the Primus.
    Honestly, the Primus seems like a different kind of species. Look at how thick his fingers are.

Also the finger number difference gets brought up a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Damn it, they look very similar and guess what? Voice of Primus sounds quite different than Runecarver. Then how to explain his weapon crafting skills?
    I'd say them both being good at runes and crafting is a red herring. They want people to think Primus and RC are the same guy.

They are both good at runes, but we have yet to see the Primus do any DOMINATION magic.

It was mentioned in the 9.1 trailer he was the archons brother when they were interacting. Was it a figure of speech or literal, I don't know.

I'm not saying you couldn't be right and it might also be the reason we still know basically nothing about him.

It's interesting.

I kind of think Sylvanas is going to betray him next raid and become the true threat though. Shes now seen how he controls people with mourneblades, meaning he was the one that killed Sylvanas, not Arthas, which is what she's always been so pissed about and why she joined him to "control" death.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-02-22 at 02:34 AM.

If this guy ended up being the actual bad guy of the expansion somehow, I'd be impressed. This guy has been handing us out legendaries like candy and we've been dumb enough to accept them and wear them on our person with these domination runes present. Ven'ari introduced us to him and we've been told to be skeptical in regards to Ven'ari so this could all be apart of their plan.

This would be a great twist if they plan to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofVashj View Post
    But why the Primus? What is his relevance to crafting leggos? Is it just because he's missing?

This theory would actually make the lore interesting. That's why it must be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiel View Post
    If this guy ended up being the actual bad guy of the expansion somehow, I'd be impressed. This guy has been handing us out legendaries like candy and we've been dumb enough to accept them and wear them on our person with these domination runes present. Ven'ari introduced us to him and we've been told to be skeptical in regards to Ven'ari so this could all be apart of their plan.

And we're feeding him soul ash every week. Like if I was going to go all 'subverting expectations' this is what I'd do.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is so scary now. Where is real Primus then?

10+ Year Old Account
    And we're feeding him soul ash every week. Like if I was going to go all 'subverting expectations' this is what I'd do.
    The soul ash is to help make the legendaries.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I think the Primus might actually be his statue with his armor being like a liches Phylacteries. He's supposed to be a master strategist and yet didn't realize a bunch of his people were traitorous assholes and even gave his gear to em. But if he intentionally did so to test his people it would make sense.

Venari tells us to never trust anything locked up in the Maw as they were imprisoned there for a reason.

I think its possible that the Runecarver intentionally removed many of his memories to infest people and I think the Jailer is one of those people that were infected. It would also explain why they are scattered all over the place. Also the Runecarver is the only person so far that has been shown to have powers that could threaten the shadowlands and mortal realms. He even crafts stuff tainted by the maw. If he was the Primus wouldn't it just be non maw gear that the Jailer needs to infuse with the maw?

It's interesting that the legendaries he crafts us look like maw gear. Why does even his "good guy" gear look sinister?
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-02-22 at 02:54 AM.

When Blizzard says "The Jailer is the final boss" I don't think they mean the REAL Jailer, but the being we know as the Jailer ingame. So whoever big baldy is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    It's interesting that the legendaries he crafts us look like maw gear. Why does even his "good guy" gear look sinister?
    Consider that the Maw is "dealt with" after 9.1. I don't think it's actually a bad realm, it's just supposed to be a prison for bad souls, it's "Zovaal" who is using the tools there to make an army.

The domination armor might be supposed to be used for good. If we save the Runecarver and he ends up being the real Jailer, then the Maw would lorewise become a friendly ally area.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we're over speculating, the Maw isn't gonna be done just yet. I think Zovaal is who he says he is and I doubt Blizzard is gonna do "NO IT WAS ME WHO IS THE JAILER." No I think its simple Runecarver is Primus. I do think its possible the current look of the Shadowlands isn't necessarily what it always was.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think we're over speculating, the Maw isn't gonna be done just yet. I think Zovaal is who he says he is and I doubt Blizzard is gonna do "NO IT WAS ME WHO IS THE JAILER." No I think its simple Runecarver is Primus. I do think its possible the current look of the Shadowlands isn't necessarily what it always was.
    My question would then be "why is the Jailer of the damned locked in the jail itself?"

Doesn't make for a good jailer if he can't actually watch his subjects. But I know it's Warcraft so there's a chance he could magically oversee the whole place while chained up... but I'm not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much like the role of being the "Lich King" was also, in fact, a prison itself (Bolvar has stated it twice)... being the Shadowlands' "Jailer" is a role that is also in it of itself a prison.

That is the parallel between the Jailer and the role of a Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Much like the role of being the "Lich King" was also, in fact, a prison itself (Bolvar has stated it twice)... being the Shadowlands' "Jailer" is a role that is also in it of itself a prison.

That is the parallel between the Jailer and the role of a Lich King.
    Note that the original Jailer design is much more resembling a King himself. On the contrary "Zovaal" just looks like some Bronson-tier thug who broke out and took over the prison.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Charles Bronson was an inspiration for the baldy's design.
    Last edited by Nagawithlegs; 2021-02-22 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I kind of think Sylvanas is going to betray him next raid and become the true threat though. Shes now seen how he controls people with mourneblades, meaning he was the one that killed Sylvanas, not Arthas, which is what she's always been so pissed about and why she joined him to "control" death.
    I'm 97% sure she won't, no matter what he did or what his methods are. He's her only chance to undo the order of the Shadowlands which seems to be her life goal now. Betraying the Jailer would mean forsaking her life goal. What would she do then? Commit suicide to put herself in the hands of the very system she despises so much? Redemption is simply not possible for her at this point.

Actually, Ven'ari told us not to trust the Runecarver. She may have her own agenda, but I doubt that she's in league with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Actually, Ven'ari told us not to trust the Runecarver. She may have her own agenda, but I doubt that she's in league with him.
    She said not to trust "anything locked up in there". Considering Zovaal was locked up...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    She said not to trust "anything locked up in there". Considering Zovaal was locked up...
    I assume Torghast is a Zovaal thing not something that was always there.

Warrior-Magi