Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    And it wouldn't matter even one fucking tiny bit if that was the case.
    yeah it would. in any situation where loot is expected to be traded, aka guilds, you want to keep an heterogenous mix.

    nobody wants to be the sole hunter in a raid, with nobody being able to trade you a weapon. (sure they did tokens for weapons this time, but you get the idea.)

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    would be simpler to move to a Light/Medium/Heavy armor split instead of going by "material" its made of.
    Preach it. Having "mail" and "plate" as distinct categories is a D&Dism, which admittedly isn't a bad place to start, but light/medium/heavy (or rather unarmored/light/heavy) is a categorization that actually makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    I'm of two minds about removing mail. First, its barely used and removing it would simplify things, especially loot lists and armor art. Monks could go cloth as I'm unfamiliar with any kung-fu fighters who wore a bunch of thick padded leather/boiled leather armor. Shaman could go leather since hide would kind of fit them. Hunters could go leather since that's "outdoorsey." On the other hand who cares? Blizzard seems willing to churn out guns/bows/crossbows for a single class as well as glaives for a different single class, and Blizzard isn't exactly known for wanting to make things easier on themselves or players, so why bother? There are bigger issues to deal with.
    Weapons is one slot vs 8 for armor though. I think that's a significant difference, and weapons are also a cool way to differentiate classess. Armor is 8 slots, and they have trouble enough differentiating the current armor types.

  3. #23
    I am Murloc! gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Priests should wear mail, and be the Cleric trope!

    That's how it should have been from the damn start!!! In most other RPGs a priest/cleric wears leather or mail armor not cloth. Cloth is usually designated as damage dealing caster armor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    And it wouldn't matter even one fucking tiny bit if that was the case.

    Also rofl at all the shaman fanboys want to wear full plate. Plate is supposed to be full body bean can, totally shamany..
    Um you do realize that this would mean significantly increasing the chance for leather to be the drop in raids & dungeons because you would literally have half of your classes wearing 1 armor type right?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    would be simpler to move to a Light/Medium/Heavy armor split instead of going by "material" its made of.
    This..100 times....But it`s way too logical so...nah...Blizzard and logic (or common sense)? Or just pretending to give a fuck about lore or background things? Nah...

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran100 View Post
    This..100 times....But it`s way too logical so...nah...Blizzard and logic (or common sense)? Or just pretending to give a fuck about lore or background things? Nah...
    i mean, that's what they did essentially anyway, why are you crying for this?

    Besides, most mail usually has chains/scales/bones, which is pmuch their signifiers.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Fails on the fact that you'd then have 6 classes wearing leather.

    One can argue over Shaman and Hunters wearing Mail, it's in my opinion a case by case decision, issue is that Shaman / Hunter are in art portrayed as doing crossdressing or using armor that mixes the two.

    But i'm more on the side of "Armor types should matter more", there is enough that has been pruned out of the game for the sake of streamlining.

    You mean the outfit that his future his wife had to call him out as being a "Warriors outfit"?

    Doomhammer armor is Plate Armor, it's not even mail.

    I feel like this is sort of a feedback loop, of course they are wearing "mail" because they are Shaman and every Shaman armor is considered Mail.

    The T10 doesn't even look like some mail outfit, it looks like it's made out of leather and bone, compare that something like Wotlk PvP armor, which actually looks like it's at least made out of metal.
    Actually just ask melees. It is easier much to kill a mail enhancement shaman than a warlock and priest. Mage is even more insane, but just because of their kiting toolkit.

    Right now the mail wearing enhancement shaman is squishier than all leather and cloth wearer.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Gameplay is much more important than "realism".
    Realism in a fantasy franchise about death gods, immortal demons, pocket dimensions, cosmic areas, neigh omnipotent beings getting slapped by mf's with swords and shit, literal lovecraftian creatures, and countless retcons/recontextualizations of the universes own laws and lore? lol

  8. #28
    Brewmaster czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Old Thrall also used to be a warrior and now is a shaman.
    How come Thrall change classes while the rest of us are stuck?
    Thrall was like a Thor. Warrior with fancy mallet lol.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Thrall was like a Thor. Warrior with fancy mallet lol.
    Does that make Garrosh the Hulk?
    Rexxar would be Hawkeye

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    Actually just ask melees. It is easier much to kill a mail enhancement shaman than a warlock and priest. Mage is even more insane, but just because of their kiting toolkit.

    Right now the mail wearing enhancement shaman is squishier than all leather and cloth wearer.
    Well, Shaman being squishy isn't exactly new, only a single mediocre def CD, mediocre CC and mediocre mobility.
    Other classes can just answer focus by using some form of big CD to create some breathing room, Shaman just doesn't have that sort of CD.

    Secondary issue is however that far too many melees also do a ton of magic damage, which doesn't give a shit about armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    And it wouldn't matter even one fucking tiny bit if that was the case.
    It makes a difference, because it would make gearing a leather character so much easier because over half of the existing classes share your armor type then.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    So.. you want DH/Druids/Rogues/Monks/Shamans AND Hunters all to share leather?
    Give shamans plate, then you have 3 cloth, 5 leather, 4 plate. Not that armor type matters during progression with personal loot anymore, and if you go for power equipping some new player you already can stack armor classes (it will just get slightly easier, especially for the two (former) mail classes)).

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Um you do realize that this would mean significantly increasing the chance for leather to be the drop in raids & dungeons because you would literally have half of your classes wearing 1 armor type right?
    You realize personal loot is a thing and you can already stack everything but cloth/mail wearing classes as much as you want?
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  13. #33
    Stood in the Fire keelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Kun Lai Summit
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    1. It would make more sense for shamans to wear leather. Most of iconic shaman heroes, such as World Shaman Thrall, Drek'Thar, OG Rehgar and Muln, all wear leather armor. Real life shamans and shamans in most other fictional fantasy worlds also wear leather.
    You are wrong here, all the ones listed here wears mail in the books/comics/ingame (obv Thrall ditched his mail armor with Cata). In the lore the Horde shamans are warriors who can muster the elements in battle, they wear mail armor because they arent frontline warriors, but still count as melee ranged soldiers. The reason behind not wearing plate is that they need to cast which is harder in plate armor

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    would be simpler to move to a Light/Medium/Heavy armor split instead of going by "material" its made of.
    Problem with that is, especially in cases where one class might move out of an existing armor pool, that already existing transmog will leave said armor pool as well and become unavailable to people who are used to having it. That causes alot of teething issues at the beginning which are entirely unneccessary if you just remove the one redundant armor class and keep the only 2 representatives and move them to another pool together.

    Again, there beeing a ton of leather options is hardly an issue, since personal loot ensures it only drops when leather wearers are present and if anything the usual flow is that a ton of mail drops that no mail user can utlize anymore because the hunters and shamans are already decked out. Shamans aren't knights in polished plate armor, just because Thrall multiclassed from awful warrior to god tier shaman (and even he got rid of the plate when he fully embraced it) and hunter would go to leather anyway, making 1 class more or less hardly the issue here. In fact hunters changing would probably be the bigger impact on most raid rosters, since there are alot of them compared to people that stack shamans needlessly these days.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  15. #35
    I mean.... what's does that change? ~
    Armor type does not matter anymore besides "wear same armor type in all slots" passive.
    From "RPG" perspective it's WoW universe, here hunters and Shamans wear mail because it's war, not because that's what they would wear while they are in the nature, the same way Plate wearers would not be wearing full plate armor everywhere while not going into battle. It's not practical to wear anything but cloth while you are not doing anything.

  16. #36
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Undermine
    Posts
    18,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    1. It would make more sense for shamans to wear leather. Most of iconic shaman heroes, such as World Shaman Thrall, Drek'Thar, OG Rehgar and Muln, all wear leather armor. Real life shamans and shamans in most other fictional fantasy worlds also wear leather.

    2. It would make more sense for hunters to wear leather. Some of iconic hunter heroes, such as OG Shandris and Rexxar, wear leather armor. You could argue that Sylvanas wears mail but she is more of a Dark Ranger or a military ranger than a hunter. It makes no sense for a hunter to stomp through the forest in clunky, noisy mail.

    3. Mail, as it is designed by Blizzard, has no identity. Some mail sets are clearly leather (e.g. Gronnstalker gear). Other sets are clearly undercooked plate. There are very few sets that look like actual mail and for a good reason. Real life mail is boring as hell. It's like a piece of fabric made of linking metal.

    4. It's a waste of resources. Mail is only represented by 2 classes (shamans and hunters) while Plate has 3, leather had 4!!! and cloth has another 3.

    To me mail feels like a relic from vanilla WoW where Blizzard arbitrarily decided that mail classes should upgrade to plate and leather to mail at some level. For the reasons outlined above I believe that Blizzard should either move both hunters and shamans to leather armor or lift transmog restrictions and allow people to mog things one armor class below (plate to mail, mail to leather, leather to cloth).
    Easy solution: Introduce a third Mail class.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    Hunter should use Leather, Shaman should use Plate, and Monk* (and possibly Demon Hunter) should use cloth.

    If you keep DH on leather you then have 3 armor types with 4 classes each.


    *Back in Mists, when Monks were introduced, armor had only a single main stat so Monks used leather, as otherwise they would have needed to add agi cloth to every loot table just for Monks. Then later they reworked it into the current system where armor switches main stat depending on spec.
    Very good point. I agree 100%.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Realism in a fantasy franchise about death gods, immortal demons, pocket dimensions, cosmic areas, neigh omnipotent beings getting slapped by mf's with swords and shit, literal lovecraftian creatures, and countless retcons/recontextualizations of the universes own laws and lore? lol
    Why do people talk about retcons like they're bad things? They're needed for a universe to grow.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...TropesAreTools
    The most difficult thing for people to do is objectively look at something they don't like and be able to accept that it is not bad, that other people like it, and if it was changed to the way they'd like it that other people would not like it and want it changed back. The second most is to receive something they didn't want or ask for and be grateful for it, not immediately demand what they wanted instead.

  18. #38
    I think McDonald’s should get rid of breakfast burritos

  19. #39
    We all agree that mail amor designs are awful, and it's not precisely because the art team sucks, it because coming with good mail looking armor is hard by default.
    I would vote to remove it, and move hunters to leather and shamans to cloth, or let some clases use different type of armor and still be viable.

    Priests could use another spec called "Anduin" to use plate for instance.

  20. #40
    IMO DH should have been mail class to balance stuff out a bit more.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazlartist View Post
    I think McDonald’s should get rid of breakfast burritos
    Reported! This goes against Dangerous Information/ False Information rules....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •