The Great Vault vs LFR: I don't see the logic behind the functionality

Hi,

I am struggling to get a good idea of how the great vault works.

Here is what I encountered:

I went in with my lock since the first day LFR opened.
    Once I could do all the wings, I could get an item from it.
    Last reset I got iLvl 187 item from it and this reset an item with iLvl 194 ( I think because I got a 194 drop).
    This reset I also went in with my DK, first time. Did all the wings and got nothing in the vault. It says that I have to do it on normal difficulty.

That doesn't make sense to me, as I never did normal on my lock and still got 1 item choice.

So doesn't anyone know how this thing works?

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Hi,

Here is what I encountered:

I went in with my lock since the first day LFR opened.
    Last reset I got iLvl 187 item from it and this reset an item with iLvl 194 ( I think because I got a 194 drop).
    This reset I also went in with my DK, first time. Did all the wings and got nothing in the vault. It says that I have to do it on normal difficulty.

That doesn't make sense to me, as I never did normal on my lock and still got 1 item choice.

not sure what went on for you then, because all I've had to do is 1 wing of LFR to get my free 187 piece weekly.. not even all wings..
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

relog before checking the vault or else it doesn't update the rewards.

are you sure it says you have to do it on normal, and not that doing it on normal will increase the reward's ilvl?

the items from the last 2 bosses are higher ilvl than the rest of the raid, so the 194 you got is probably one of those.

I can see that, as there are a few things wrong in your post.

You only need access to one of the regular LFR wings to get an item, not all wings.

Gotta wait until the reset occurs. And it only says you need to do Normal to get a higher itemlevel than what you currently get.

We do, you obviously do not.

Do stuff during one weekly lockout. Do the required amount of activites listed in the vault to unlock one choice for that slot. Wait until NEXT LOCKOUT to actually loot item of choice.

Tuesday is when you get your items for doing stuff. What is it now, 3,6,9 boss kills get you extra options.
    If you do only lfr it’ll be 187 gear (with low chance of 194 cause of drops off last two bosses are higher).

Thanks for the replies..... I will check it next reset.

And you're right about "do normal for higher ilvl".
    My last sentence is a typo. I meant does anyone know how it works?

10+ Year Old Account
    They should make the great vault rewards to be a normal piece instead of another LFR piece. Just to give some, but lengthy, progression.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Thanks for the replies..... I will check it next reset.

And you're right about "do normal for higher ilvl".
    My last sentence is a typo. I meant does anyone know how it works?
    Basically put you can only get 1 piece of loot from the Great Vault each week, but doing more of any of the three given activities (raiding, Mythic+, or PvP) gives you more options for said piece of loot. For instance if you defeat 3 Nathria raid bosses you'll get 1 piece of loot in the Vault and no ability to choose (unless you take the Anima consolation prize). Defeat 7 bosses and you get 2 choices from which you pick 1, and at 10 you'll get 3 choices from which you pick 1. You can only ever select 1 reward at current, but doing more activities gives you more options and potentially a better shot at a good upgrade or BiS item.

TL;DR: You can only ever get 1 item per week from the Vault, but doing more things expands the loot table of items you can choose from.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The last two bosses of the raid drop higher ilvl loot.

There's a chance that your vault rolls these, but that's still within the same difficulty.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

not sure what went on for you then, because all I've had to do is 1 wing of LFR to get my free 187 piece weekly.. not even all wings..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    They should make the great vault rewards to be a normal piece instead of another LFR piece. Just to give some, but lengthy, progression.
    Completely agree. They are incentivizing players to run M+ keys for GV loot. Raid GV loot feels more like a consolation prize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you really like LFR, don't bother with any of this. Finish your covenant campaign and bank all the anima along the way. You get covenant armor along the way. Use anima to upgrade it to 197. You can get, um, 8 pieces I think and all at 197 for much less hassle than LFR/Vault and you're not depending on a weekly lockout. Now, once you have that done, yes, you will have slots that need upgrades. Me, I'd PVP for those since honor gear can be upgraded to 197 as well, but some folks don't like PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inafume View Post
    Completely agree. They are incentivizing players to run M+ keys for GV loot. Raid GV loot feels more like a consolation prize.
    It's just more, that world players and 'casuals' basically stop at 197 avg. without higher loot, which is where they are forced to wait for the story, raid, PvP or Mythic+. I don't mind waiting for the story but the Great Vault reward could be a good treat for LFR runners.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It's just more, that world players and 'casuals' basically stop at 197 avg. without higher loot, which is where they are forced to wait for the story, raid, PvP or Mythic+. I don't mind waiting for the story but the Great Vault reward could be a good treat for LFR runners.
    This is why I just unsub until there's more content I want to do, and why part of me just wants to start only subbing to WoW at the end of every expansion. How I've felt since WoD.