Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Not going to read that rambling mess you call a communication.
    Lmao then don't reply

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I guess you're not really "up" with the times, but WoD is largely considered by the community the worst xpac in WoW history.
    Ya I don't really care what the community thinks. I think it's the last of the truly good expansions. Funny how people can have different opinions on things, isn't it?

What's the point of having great things mid-tier expansion when everyone is just going to use the last patch stuff only?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hardly surprising. The stories of people living out of their car and only being able to survive because they have access to some amenities at the studio never painted a good picture, especially during a pandemic when all of that suddenly evaporates into thin air.
    This is more a problem for every company in CA, not specifically Blizzard.

I work for an engineering company in San Diego and it’s the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Have you seen anyone who uses the dungeon sets ever? They are mostly rather plain. Always have been. At least compared to PvP/Raid sets.
    I mix it up depending on character and mood, not everyone wants to look like a fireworks display on a mass of bling with a vaguely humanoid shape somewhere in the middle. Also how does your not wanting to wear specific sets change the fact that people had to put work into them, and odds on the more recent, higher resolution questing sets probably took more work than the earlier, low-res tier sets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    The best of BfA was the middle (Dazaralor and Palace/Mechagon)

Same for Legion. Best part was Suramar and Nighthold

Same for WoD. Blackrock foundry

Same for MoP. Throne of Thunder

Same for Cataclysm. Firelands
    Nothing about BfA was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Ya I don't really care what the community thinks. I think it's the last of the truly good expansions. Funny how people can have different opinions on things, isn't it?
    A good thing can be lessened by the absence of other good.
    A beatiful sunset on the beach is nice and all, but if that is all you have for over a year then it starts to really lose its luster.

WoD had good stuff, even great stuff, what it didnt have was enough content to warrant a full expansion. Arguing that is is truly good is like arguing that a Lamborghini without an engine is a really great car. Sure it looks good, but that doesnt hide the fact that it doesnt do much more than look pretty in your garage.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I loved tier sets. Even though they locked gear in place. Loved it.

Since they don’t want to do that, they could’ve at least made cohesive mog gear for each class. I HATE and never mog these sorry ass armor-wide mogs. How exciting to have 4 different looking people in a 20 raid

PvP sets were good. The revamped zones looked good and proved a world revamp was possible. The raids were solid. The second raid especially was pretty groundbreaking in actually being an Alliance vs Horde raid done not just good, but great. The expansion made great steps forward in M+ with the seasonal affix.

There is plenty of good stuff in BfA just like most expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    PvP sets were good. The revamped zones looked good and proved a world revamp was possible. The raids were solid. The second raid especially was pretty groundbreaking in actually being an Alliance vs Horde raid done not just good, but great. The expansion made great steps forward in M+ with the seasonal affix.

There is plenty of good stuff in BfA just like most expansions.
    For you.

BFA is commonly agreed to be a C or D tier expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    For you.

BFA is commonly agreed to be a C or D tier expansion.
    That's not the point, the point is that there was good stuff in BfA. Dismissing it wholesale because the complete experience wasnt great is short-sighten when you can instead try and learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Colour me unsurprised.

This expansion is just as bad as the last 3-4 have been. Not sure why anyone believed it would be any better?
    Just guessing. Probably due to a handful of changes that players wanted were implemented in Shadowlands to improve their overall experience. That being said, even with them changes being a net positive doesn't make up for the rest of the expansion. Go to the junk yard and grab yourself the shittiest car there(Shadowlands). Add a nice steering wheel to it(the changes players wanted). You're still left with a shit car unfortunately. That's what happened here.

There are some redeeming qualities in Shadowlands that I personally enjoy. But I've been playing WoW for too long where if the majority is crap I'm just gonna do something elsewhere which is what I am doing. I do check back in for major content patches to see if the changes are worth coming back for. It's looking like I'll be resubbing the last month of Shadowlands though to get ready for next expansion. Hopefully it's enjoyable longer than a months sub.
    Last edited by Biggles Worth; 2021-02-24 at 06:39 PM.

Mechagon has been one of the best 5 mans in a long while. They also had a few cool seasonal affixes (Rising dead and Obis). Many raid fights were good (Mechatorque was superb). Art and music teams are always amazing. Allied races were good.

Overall it wasn't that good, but I wouldn't say that everything was bad. It has its merit too

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Got any links to artist leaving semi recently? There seems to be a lot of nebulous statements of a bunch of people leaving but guys like rob or morhiem were years ago and I’ve only been able to find two people who have left any time recently (one artist) which you wouldn’t think would really effect the game at all.
    I saw individual twitter posts over the course of the last couple years, not going to go back and find them all. Try searching twitter for "last day at blizzard" or something. Or google artists leaving Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That's not the point, the point is that there was good stuff in BfA. Dismissing it wholesale because the complete experience wasnt great is short-sighten when you can instead try and learn from it.
    This.

WoD is generally regarded as the worst expansion so far, but it had some good qualities. People like polarizing everything. It has to be either black or white.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I saw individual twitter posts over the course of the last couple years, not going to go back and find them all. Try searching twitter for "last day at blizzard" or something. Or google artists leaving Blizzard.
    Done abunch of search’s but was only able to find one artist which was the guy who did the covenant ability effects. There have been other people leaving over the course of years but you’d think any slow down because of that would be recovered a year later let alone multiple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I mix it up depending on character and mood, not everyone wants to look like a fireworks display on a mass of bling with a vaguely humanoid shape somewhere in the middle. Also how does your not wanting to wear specific sets change the fact that people had to put work into them, and odds on the more recent, higher resolution questing sets probably took more work than the earlier, low-res tier sets.
    Agreed. I mix and match too. And i don't want to miss them. And also yes to more time to make them than early sets. Maybe. Don't know how the tech and experience of the designers changes that.
    But still... maybe i am not getting my point across very good.
    They made 8 different endgame sets for SL patch .0 and .1. The 4 nathria and the 4 legendary.
    Now look at WoD. Alone the first patch had 2 unique sets for every class in PvE alone. Ontop of that you had the PvP Class sets also 2 for every class albeit the elite was a more elaborate of the normal one. AND you had PvE and PvP sets for the sets ontop for low level pvp and LFR (not sure of the LFR sets have been only in HFC)
    You had 11 classes in wod i think. That makes alone for the first tier of raiding 22 sets. With PvP you go to 44 and the 8 non descriptive ones is 52.
    Even if you put the mythic/elite together with the normal ones and ignore the armor type sets it is still 22 sets... that IS quite a difference...

Like i said i don't know how much time they actually put into each set because how would i? But that screams more effort.

No tier sets .Will take long break from wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Done abunch of search’s but was only able to find one artist which was the guy who did the covenant weapon effects. There have been other people leaving over the course of years but you’d think any slow down because of that would be recovered a year later let alone multiple.
    I don't think Blizzard is going to have a hard time finding artists. But I do know it takes a while to get new people caught up when they get hired at a studio, especially if you're offering the lowest salaries in the industry, you aren't getting veteran artists that are going to hit the ground running. Riot on the other hand does offer competitive salary, and right now looks like they have the upper hand in getting the best talent. Blizzard still has some of the most beloved IPs, and historically were able to get people for less money off the back of passion. Over the last 5 years in particular I think a lot of the passion died, and not many are really willing to take a huge financial hit anymore.

Seems like of those who left Blizzard, about half went to Riot and about half joined the companies formed by the previous Blizzard executives. Check out the team pages of Bonfire Studios and Dreamhaven, lots of Blizzard alumni there:

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/about-us

https://www.dreamhaven.com/about

Then you have Metzen's new company:

https://warchiefgaming.com/

Then I think Ben Brode took some people from the Hearthstone team and made Second Dinner.

This doesn't mean Blizzard is going to collapse by any means. Lots of them worked there for a long time and probably just wanted to work on other stuff. Frankly I'd rather see all that talent spread out and see more interesting projects free of the BS that comes with a large company.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I don't think Blizzard is going to have a hard time finding artists. But I do know it takes a while to get new people caught up when they get hired at a studio, especially if you're offering the lowest salaries in the industry, you aren't getting veteran artists that are going to hit the ground running. Riot on the other hand does offer competitive salary, and right now looks like they have the upper hand in getting the best talent. Blizzard still has some of the most beloved IPs, and historically were able to get people for less money off the back of passion. Over the last 5 years in particular I think a lot of the passion died, and not many are really willing to take a huge financial hit anymore.

Seems like of those who left Blizzard, about half went to Riot and about half joined the companies formed by the previous Blizzard executives. Check out the team pages of Bonfire Studios and Dreamhaven, lots of Blizzard alumni there:

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/about-us

https://www.dreamhaven.com/about

Then you have Metzen's new company:

https://warchiefgaming.com/

Then I think Ben Brode took some people from the Hearthstone team and made Second Dinner.

This doesn't mean Blizzard is going to collapse by any means. Lots of them worked there for a long time and probably just wanted to work on other stuff. Frankly I'd rather see all that talent spread out and see more interesting projects free of the BS that comes with a large company.
    I would imagine there is still passion. I bet there are still loads of aspiring artists, programmers and such that would be willing ot work for bargain basement bin salaries for a chance to work at a company like Blizzard that beyond all is still a renowned gaming company, the problem is that bargain basement prices are simply no longer enough to survive, and artists can take a hit, but they still need food.

I imagine that the possibility of working form home might get Blizzard a new influx of talent though, espeically if they really capittalize on letting employees live in cheap areas without having to commute to an office.