LA isn't really an NFL market and they lost both teams they had before for a reason. The Chargers were kind of screwed from the get go.

Aren't the Raiders more popular in LA than both the Rams and Chargers too? That doesn't exactly help either.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Trouble in LA: https://twitter.com/nathanfenno/stat...63214477963264

"BREAKING: Fate of Chargers' ownership at stake as Dean Spanos' sister asks court to force sale."

If the Spanos family does end up selling the team, it would probably lead to an extremely interesting bidding war.

Team in LA, young good QB, brand new stadium, brand new labor deal, brand new TV rights deal.

Would almost certainly set a new standard for what NFL teams are worth.
    They're also a team without a Stadium of their own. Which could make them very attractive to Buy and Relocate owners, they would just have to wait out whatever their current lease deal is with the Rams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    No worse than SD though. They need a third option more than going back. But really all they have to do to become popular in LA is get good, and they’ve got the tools. Right now they’re the Clippers of the city.
    I will forever say the logical end point for them is St. Louis.

They weren't a bad NFL city, and they had a perfectly good stadium proposal on the table. The Rams just never had any intention of staying.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    LA isn't really an NFL market
    Never understood this bullshit
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Never understood this bullshit
    From my understanding when this came up elsewhere, its cause there's a lot of transplants who already have / had an NFL team. I know there's a sizeable Cowboys faction in LA. So while, because of how large the city is, enough for 1 NFL team, I don't think there's really enough for 2. Maybe with enough time there will be, like in basketball.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I wouldnt even say Clippers, given even USC and UCLA are more popular and they're the local college teams.
    I was thinking more the Clippers pre-12 or whenever they started being decent while the Lakers had slumped to shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    From my understanding when this came up elsewhere, its cause there's a lot of transplants who already have / had an NFL team. I know there's a sizeable Cowboys faction in LA. So while, because of how large the city is, enough for 1 NFL team, I don't think there's really enough for 2. Maybe with enough time there will be, like in basketball.
    Sounds like bullshit
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Dan Snyder is now the sole owner of the Washington Disappointment.

Sounds like bullshit
    Aren't you a California transplant who follows the Saints?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Aren't you a California transplant who follows the Saints?
    Transplant? No... I hated the Rams because they left and that's largely why I became a Saints fan, because they knocked off the Rams in 2000. Like a lot of people I had a favorite team outside of LA because I had to. Just because a bunch of rich assholes couldn't negotiate anything doesn't mean the rest of us didn't want a team here. But please, lets have more people in Colorado, Texas, and New York explain to me why we're bad fans, this must be what it feels like to get mansplained to.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Transplant? No... I hated the Rams because they left and that's largely why I became a Saints fan, because they knocked off the Rams in 2000. Like a lot of people I had a favorite team outside of LA because I had to. Just because a bunch of rich assholes couldn't negotiate anything doesn't mean the rest of us didn't want a team here. But please, lets have more people in Colorado, Texas, and New York explain to me why we're bad fans, this must be what it feels like to get mansplained to.
    You don’t know what it’s like to be mansplained, I’ll tell you when you’re being mansplained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    well hey, just taking my experience from my own time involving LA thanks to my masters program at USC. *shrug*

Also feel like San Diego is being treated like Seattle when their NBA team moved.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2021-04-03 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Panthers have traded a 2nd and some late round picks for Sam Darnold.

I don't think that takes them out of the Watson market, honestly. Darnold's a backup reclamation project no matter what this year. This just frees them up to potentially throw Bridgewater in a Watson trade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty strange to see Darnold get moved for multiple picks, including a 2nd rounder. He is the worst QB in the league over the last three years.

I don't see things going much differently in Carolina, for all the hype regarding the offensive minds of Matt Rhule & Joe Brady, Bridgewater was the exact same guy with them as he was before, the chance of miracle improvement for Darnold seems low.
    /s

The 2nd is next year. I think the final deal is a 6th this year, and a 2nd and a 4th next year. Plenty of time for Carolina to recoup that pick somewhere else.

Not looking forward to Zach Wilson in the division, and potentially someone NE picks up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The 2nd is next year. I think the final deal is a 6th this year, and a 2nd and a 4th next year. Plenty of time for Carolina to recoup that pick somewhere else.

Not looking forward to Zach Wilson in the division, and potentially someone NE picks up.
    Yeah it's either a 6th or 7th this year, and a 2nd and another 6th or 7th next year.

They still have all their Watson ammo, and probably added some by getting Darnold in as a backup.

As for Wilson, can't say. QBs are a 50-50 prospect, and the Jets historically are on the wrong side of that 50.

Bridgewater sucks and 6th round picks don't make rosters a lot of the times unless they can play special teams well. If they think they can improve Darnold, a 2nd would be worth it. Especially if they can find a team dumb enough to trade for Bridgewater to recoup some of it. His contract is terrible this year.

They also picked up Darnold's 5th year option, so the chances of him not being the starter sound low.

Zach Wilson also seems like the type of QB to bust. The ones that gain a lot of traction during the pre-draft process don't have the best history. It is a coin flip though.
    Last edited by Grube; 2021-04-05 at 10:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they think they can improve Darnold, a 2nd would be worth it.
    This kind of hubris that leads to lost draft picks, big dead money, and lateral moves is why certain teams never really contend.

Also worth mentioning this means another early QB pick getting thrown to the wolves immediately by the Jets, they don't seem to ever figure it out either.
    /s

Bridgewater sucks and 6th round picks don't make rosters a lot of the times unless they can play special teams well. If they think they can improve Darnold, a 2nd would be worth it. Especially if they can find a team dumb enough to trade for Bridgewater to recoup some of it. His contract is terrible this year.

They also picked up Darnold's 5th year option, so the chances of him not being the starter sound low.

Zach Wilson also seems like the type of QB to bust. The ones that gain a lot of traction during the pre-draft process don't have the best history. It is a coin flip though.
    I've noticed Zach Wilson and other tools-y QBs (like Trey Lance) have had their stocks go up significantly with the success of Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. I wonder if we're entering an era where the toolsy QB (notorious in the past for busting) can actually be reliably developed by smart QB coaches. I was watching some of the science shit Jordan Palmer was doing with Allen last offseason, and it's borderline science fiction, 6 million dollar man stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

This kind of hubris that leads to lost draft picks, big dead money, and lateral moves is why certain teams never really contend.

Also worth mentioning this means another early QB pick getting thrown to the wolves immediately by the Jets, they don't seem to ever figure it out either.
    TBF, I have a lot more confidence in Robert Saleh, and I remember liking the OC pick (though I can't remember who it is at the moment) at the time. I knew Gase was a shitshow before he was even fired from the Dolphins, and dismissed the Jets immediately when they hired him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be interesting to see Darnold without that shitstain for a coach, Gase.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't feel Darnold was trash.. mostly because of the Jets and their reputation for USC QBs. I'll give it a few years in Carolina before I make a decision on what I think of Darnold.