1. #1161
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,176
    One of the ex-pats out there might scoop him up.
    /s

  2. #1162
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Orrrrrrr, even better, give us broadcasts with just game sounds and crowd noise. It always annoys me when I have to mute a game because of the dumb commentary, that I also lose the sound of the actual game going on and the crowd noise.

    Should be the easiest thing there is to provide by channels and they never have for some weird reason.
    We'll get that the same time they let us pick what market we want to get games in....=(

  3. #1163
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    We'll get that the same time they let us pick what market we want to get games in....=(
    You can pick either your home market or every market. Now gimme my commentator-less broadcast! I know that’s you Goodell!

  4. #1164
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    35,587
    Jets top safety is going to IR.

    I mean this team wasn't going to be good either way but holy shit they are just being decimated with injuries this year. Sucks because as a team rebuilding you want to see what these guys can do, for trade value if nothing else.
    WoW has Cancer. First you cut out the cancer (abusive devs), then you assign an aggressive treatment plan (major design rework) to save it.

    Or you just let it die because that's too expensive.

    FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  5. #1165
    I know it’s only the halftime entertainment, but this caught my eye.

    Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar will perform for the first time onstage together at the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kendrick-lamar

  6. #1166
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I know it’s only the halftime entertainment, but this caught my eye.



    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kendrick-lamar
    Came here to post this. Pretty good lineup. Kendrick keeps it pretty relevant, though I wish they'd have gambled on a lesser known name like Joyner Lucas or someone, instead of trotting out Snoop/Dre/Mary. Yeah, they have great hits - all of them almost 20+ years old.

    Of course, don't read the replies to Ian Rappaport's tweet about it possibly being the greatest potential halftime show ever. You'll find the typical dogwhistle responses about lamenting there not being more rock'n'roll, as if there's been good rock music in the last 20 years.

  7. #1167
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I know it’s only the halftime entertainment, but this caught my eye.



    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kendrick-lamar
    Wow, thats a great lineup. Though its gonna have to be PG, so I am not sure how that will turn out.

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Came here to post this. Pretty good lineup. Kendrick keeps it pretty relevant, though I wish they'd have gambled on a lesser known name like Joyner Lucas or someone, instead of trotting out Snoop/Dre/Mary. Yeah, they have great hits - all of them almost 20+ years old.

    Of course, don't read the replies to Ian Rappaport's tweet about it possibly being the greatest potential halftime show ever. You'll find the typical dogwhistle responses about lamenting there not being more rock'n'roll, as if there's been good rock music in the last 20 years.
    Most mainstream rock these days is pop to me. The genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time... and I am a big rock/metal fan.

  8. #1168
    Yeah I'm not sure how they're gonna do an Up in Smoke reunion with Kendrick and not have half the show bleeped.

    And seriously, what is rock'n'roll any more? There's some good metal, but it's so niche, and will never appear at a Super Bowl. "Modern Alternative" is like scene music or something - Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco (even those two are like a decade old at this point), and way more pop than rock.

    Ironically, I think when they had Coldplay play at the Super Bowl, that was the most relevant "modern rock" band they could have had besides maybe Muse.

  9. #1169
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,592
    Im so excited! This should be good. Racists can GTFO

  10. #1170
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    13,833
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure how they're gonna do an Up in Smoke reunion with Kendrick and not have half the show bleeped.

    And seriously, what is rock'n'roll any more? There's some good metal, but it's so niche, and will never appear at a Super Bowl. "Modern Alternative" is like scene music or something - Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco (even those two are like a decade old at this point), and way more pop than rock.

    Ironically, I think when they had Coldplay play at the Super Bowl, that was the most relevant "modern rock" band they could have had besides maybe Muse.
    I mean Vegas opened last season with The Killers on a rooftop, and it sucked.

    And I like The Killers.

    Only other band that'd be big enough in the last decade is probably Imagine Dragons.

    Anyway, this halftime is going to be awesome and could easily surpass the excellent Gaga one from a few years ago.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  11. #1171
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,217
    I was going to skip this Thu game cause the Bengals have been half way decent and the Jags have sucked and I figured this would be a boring and one sided game.

    So I play some WoW, check twitter:

    "What a great way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the #Bengals 1981 Super Bowl team in attendance, and the inaugural Ring of Honor class of Ken Anderson, Paul Brown, Anthony Munoz and Ken Riley."

    So I think, oh, Bengals up big then probably.

    Read on:

    "As bad as that first half was, the goal line stop by Logan Wilson has given the Bengals some hope in the second half as they get booed off the field at the half. 14-0 Jags."


    Ah, so same old Bungels afterall. Just when you think they are okay, they massively shit the bed.

  12. #1172
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,830
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure how they're gonna do an Up in Smoke reunion with Kendrick and not have half the show bleeped.

    And seriously, what is rock'n'roll any more? There's some good metal, but it's so niche, and will never appear at a Super Bowl. "Modern Alternative" is like scene music or something - Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco (even those two are like a decade old at this point), and way more pop than rock.

    Ironically, I think when they had Coldplay play at the Super Bowl, that was the most relevant "modern rock" band they could have had besides maybe Muse.
    There has been some decent releases lately, but nothing that would want to play at the super bowl. Deftones, Chevelle, Slipknot, Tool, and Korn off the top of my head have dropped solid/decent albums recently.

    Can't stand modern Panic at the Disco or FOB. Even The Offspring is too pop for me, but thats more disappointing than anything to me. They had some heavy tracks in their early days. Imagine Dragons is zoomer Nickleback.

  13. #1173
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Imagine Dragons is zoomer Nickleback.
    I love this take.


    I still remember that they had this graphic some time back where Imagine Dragons was the best selling Rock act since whenever it was. And SO MANY PEOPLE got upset at them calling Imagine Dragons a rockband. It was hilarious.

  14. #1174
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,830
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I love this take.


    I still remember that they had this graphic some time back where Imagine Dragons was the best selling Rock act since whenever it was. And SO MANY PEOPLE got upset at them calling Imagine Dragons a rockband. It was hilarious.
    I remember that.

    I was also upset.

  15. #1175
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    35,587
    Eh I don't often watch the halftime show anymore. Probably won't watch this one either, neither old rock bands nor a big rapper collab are my thing.


    Also good news the Struggle Bowl is tied after 3 quarters.
    WoW has Cancer. First you cut out the cancer (abusive devs), then you assign an aggressive treatment plan (major design rework) to save it.

    Or you just let it die because that's too expensive.

    FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  16. #1176
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Wow, thats a great lineup. Though its gonna have to be PG, so I am not sure how that will turn out.

    Most mainstream rock these days is pop to me. The genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time... and I am a big rock/metal fan.
    It’s gonna be interesting to see what they do. I’m wondering if they don’t bring out the Tupac hologram.

  17. #1177
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    35,587
    And the Bengals win the Struggle Bowl and despite that title they're 3-1.

    Jaguars meanwhile are 0-4 and can we start talkin about Urban Meyer being 1 and done yet?
    WoW has Cancer. First you cut out the cancer (abusive devs), then you assign an aggressive treatment plan (major design rework) to save it.

    Or you just let it die because that's too expensive.

    FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  18. #1178
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    26,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Jaguars meanwhile are 0-4 and can we start talkin about Urban Meyer being 1 and done yet?
    Why? Jags went out of their way to get him, so they certainly aren;t going to fire him after only 1 year. Only thing that could happen is that Urban decides that the NFL is a size too big for him and that he wants to slink back to College.

    Rebuilds, especially coming from a team that has been as bad as long as the Jags have been, takes time. I assume Urban will be around at least 3 years unless as mentioned he decides that the College game is more his speed.

    Today was actually a pretty decent game for the Jags all things considered. They have absolutely no one that can make a play on defense. Give them another year of top picks in the Draft to adress defense and they might start looking like a team.

  19. #1179
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Most mainstream rock these days is pop to me. The genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time... and I am a big rock/metal fan.
    As someone born in the late '80s old rock to me (stones, zepplin) just sound like today's mellow/alt rock. Barely different from switchfoot, yellowcard and Killers except in terms of preference or talent. All those classic musicians like beatles and beach boys and stones set the terms for modern radio music.

    But when it comes to live shows I've never been to a rock concert where I could understand anything they said if I didn't already know the lyrics by heart. They're all unintelligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

  20. #1180
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And the Bengals win the Struggle Bowl and despite that title they're 3-1.

    Jaguars meanwhile are 0-4 and can we start talkin about Urban Meyer being 1 and done yet?
    Not unless he takes off to CFB again. It reminds me of Joe Burrow's first year where if you have the first overall pick, you have more holes than just QB. Plus factor in a lot of teams are red shirting rookie QBs now because college offenses aren't anywhere near as complex as NFL offenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    As someone born in the late '80s old rock to me (stones, zepplin) just sound like today's mellow/alt rock. Barely different from switchfoot, yellowcard and Killers except in terms of preference or talent. All those classic musicians like beatles and beach boys and stones set the terms for modern radio music.

    But when it comes to live shows I've never been to a rock concert where I could understand anything they said if I didn't already know the lyrics by heart. They're all unintelligible.
    True, go to any of their wikipedia pages and inevitably most modern bands have either The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, or Black Sabbath down as influences.

    I might try to get tickets to Tool here tomorrow depending on how fast they sell out. Definitely on my top bands to see live before I die list.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •