Page 1 of 205
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2021-2022 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to the 2021-2022 NFL Thread

Where we discuss the 2021-2022 NFL season from the pre-Combine days in February, all the way to the Superbowl of this season on February 6, 2021 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, with all the news and all the games that go on in between.

Thread Rules:

There aren't many specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum, mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

We also ask to keep the discussion largely centered around the current season and to leave in depth discussions about which team or player from yesteryear was better than which other team/player to threads made to discuss such a topic.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:

Links to previous seasons threads:

2010-2013 thread: link
    2013-2014 thread: link
    2014-2015 thread: link
    2015-2016 thread: link
    2016-2017 thread: link
    2017-2018 thread: link
    2018-2019 thread: link
    2019-2020 thread: link
    2020-2021 thread: link

So, what can we expect in this coming year?

CANCELLED
    NFL Scouting Combine

February 23rd
    First day for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 9th
    Prior to 4:00 pm, deadline for teams to designate Franchise- or Transition-tagged players

March 15 - March 17
    Legal “tampering” window, where teams can contact the agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents at the beginning of the next season

March 17 - Start of the new league year
    Prior to 4:00 pm, teams must exercise 2020 contract options on players with option clauses. Teams must submit qualifying offers to Restricted Free Agents. Teams must submit minimum salary offers to retain Exclusive Restricted Free Agents. Teams must be under the 2020 salary cap by the Top 51 rule (the 51 most expensive cap values on the roster).

2020 league year and free agency period begins at 4:00 pm.

Trading period for 2020 begins at 4:00 pm.

CANCELLED
    Annual League Meeting

April 5
    Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2019 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 19
    Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 23rd
    Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets

April 29th - May 1st
    2020 NFL Draft

May 1 - May 4 or May 8 - May 11
    Clubs may hold their three-day rookie minicamp during one of these two times.

May 11
    Rookie football development programs begin.

May 14 - May 17
    NFLPA Rookie premiere. Invited rookies (typically first- and/or second-round picks) must be excused from OTAs or other workouts to attend.

CANCELLED
    Spring League Meeting

August 5
    Hall of Fame Game, Canton Ohio

August 5 - August 9
    Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton Ohio

September 9th
    Opening Day of the 102nd NFL season.

September 12th
    Sunday Regular Season Week 1.

September 13th
    Monday Regular Season Week 1.

Lastly:

We hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the 2021-2022 NFL Superbowl LVI winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

Signed, the mods.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2021-02-23 at 09:10 AM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    First post dedicated to the 2020 COVID champions, the Seahawks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today the Franchise Tag window opens. Unlikely to hear anything from any teams yet, but technically the news about them can start coming in starting this afternoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt sign this thread. Mooooods, NG is forging my signature on things!

in actual news, Nolan won the worst assistant in the NFL. Makes me question MM's judgement.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Packers keys to the Super Bowl:
    1. Sign Watt
    2. Sign or Trade for another reliable pass catcher.
    3. Draft a DB.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Packers keys to the Super Bowl:
    1. Sign Watt
    2. Sign or Trade for another reliable pass catcher.
    3. Draft a DB.
    Draft is yet again filled with good WR. Good receivers throughout. Best bet to get one that's affordable is to draft one. That's what I'm hoping the Patriots do.

As long as the Bucs don't win it again will make this season wonderful. I'd hope for them not making the playoffs but the Saints might be losing Brees, Carolina is Carolina, and the Falcons are well the Falcons.

Can't wait till the draft though.

Do y'all think the draft is gonna be in Roger's basement again, or do we get the Vegas "boat-the-picks-across-a-fountain" spectacle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Draft is yet again filled with good WR. Good receivers throughout. Best bet to get one that's affordable is to draft one. That's what I'm hoping the Patriots do.
    While true I don't like the idea of trying to overhaul the pass coverage in free agency. There's a boatload of quality WRs that should be on the market this year, better to grab one of them and spend draft capital on the back end of the defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Do y'all think the draft is gonna be in Roger's basement again, or do we get the Vegas "boat-the-picks-across-a-fountain" spectacle?
    That's next year they were given as a do over.

I think we're back in Roger's pad.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That's next year they were given as a do over.

I think we're back in Roger's pad.
    Maybe they use Jerry's boat instead and they get stranded someplace.

15+ Year Old Account
    They do it in Tampa’s bay and toss the Lombardi with their selection taped from boat to boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well time for two weeks of breathless reporting on Russell Wilson.

He hasn't demanded a trade but has given a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to. Which frankly is about the same thing.

Honestly where the hell did this come from anyway?

It's the NFL off-season. Gotta fill 24 hours of talk radio with some bullshit until the draft ramps up.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's the NFL off-season. Gotta fill 24 hours of talk radio with some bullshit until the draft ramps up.
    Pretty much this. I think people are figuring out the mock drafters are just randomly throwing mocks out once a week that fans can do on websites on the internet. Sports news gotta be relevant somehow.

Billion dollar industries gotta be year round. That's why the draft and combine have become such spectacles in the past 20 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well time for two weeks of breathless reporting on Russell Wilson.

He hasn't demanded a trade but has given a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to. Which frankly is about the same thing.

Honestly where the hell did this come from anyway?
    I go back and forth between this being real and a farce given the salary cap situation. About the only contender that needed a QB and wasn't in salary cap hell already traded for Wentz. If they do get their asking price of 3 first rounders I can't wait to see what RB they choose. Maybe they will try another DE that does 720s on ATVs in their free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I go back and forth between this being real and a farce given the salary cap situation. About the only contender that needed a QB and wasn't in salary cap hell already traded for Wentz. If they do get their asking price of 3 first rounders I can't wait to see what RB they choose. Maybe they will try another DE that does 720s on ATVs in their free time.
    New England is a QB and opt-outs away from being a playoff team. Cam was pretty terrible, especially after covid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    New England is a QB and opt-outs away from being a playoff team. Cam was pretty terrible, especially after covid.
    Don't think Russ will be ok with Belichick if he has issues with Pete.

Plus the fact that Patriots in their current state are way too short of a team capable of winning now, even when compared to all the flaws Seattle has. Add in the seeming fact that Wilson doesn't want just to be a player in the system, but a key figure running it, so yeah, nah. Should the he enter the market, wouldn't see NE as an option in million years. Saints would get my vote on this, if there was any to be placed.