10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Jaguars meanwhile are 0-4 and can we start talkin about Urban Meyer being 1 and done yet?
    Why? Jags went out of their way to get him, so they certainly aren;t going to fire him after only 1 year. Only thing that could happen is that Urban decides that the NFL is a size too big for him and that he wants to slink back to College.

Rebuilds, especially coming from a team that has been as bad as long as the Jags have been, takes time. I assume Urban will be around at least 3 years unless as mentioned he decides that the College game is more his speed.

Today was actually a pretty decent game for the Jags all things considered. They have absolutely no one that can make a play on defense. Give them another year of top picks in the Draft to adress defense and they might start looking like a team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Most mainstream rock these days is pop to me. The genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time... and I am a big rock/metal fan.
    As someone born in the late '80s old rock to me (stones, zepplin) just sound like today's mellow/alt rock. Barely different from switchfoot, yellowcard and Killers except in terms of preference or talent. All those classic musicians like beatles and beach boys and stones set the terms for modern radio music.

But when it comes to live shows I've never been to a rock concert where I could understand anything they said if I didn't already know the lyrics by heart. They're all unintelligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And the Bengals win the Struggle Bowl and despite that title they're 3-1.

Jaguars meanwhile are 0-4 and can we start talkin about Urban Meyer being 1 and done yet?
    Not unless he takes off to CFB again. It reminds me of Joe Burrow's first year where if you have the first overall pick, you have more holes than just QB. Plus factor in a lot of teams are red shirting rookie QBs now because college offenses aren't anywhere near as complex as NFL offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    As someone born in the late '80s old rock to me (stones, zepplin) just sound like today's mellow/alt rock. Barely different from switchfoot, yellowcard and Killers except in terms of preference or talent. All those classic musicians like beatles and beach boys and stones set the terms for modern radio music.

But when it comes to live shows I've never been to a rock concert where I could understand anything they said if I didn't already know the lyrics by heart. They're all unintelligible.
    True, go to any of their wikipedia pages and inevitably most modern bands have either The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, or Black Sabbath down as influences.

I might try to get tickets to Tool here tomorrow depending on how fast they sell out. Definitely on my top bands to see live before I die list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s gonna be interesting to see what they do. I’m wondering if they don’t bring out the Tupac hologram.
    There's almost 0% chance of them not doing California Love.

I'm looking forward to months of Ice Cube speculation.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im so excited! This should be good. Racists can GTFO
    I believe the spirit of what you are saying is that racists will be upset with the halftime show, but it could be interpreted as "if you don't like rap you are a racist".

I don't listen to much from the upcoming halftime show's artists, but I don't hate them either. I just hope eminem doesn't make up a majority of the show. While I respect his ability, his music never really appealed to me. I'd rather listen to someone like Too $hort rap slowly, lol.

With that said, I wouldn't expect any rock bands I listen to, like Primus, Clutch, Qotsa, etc, to play a halftime gig. Much less any of the heavier bands I like.

That's ok with me since I generally skip the halftime show anyway.

Go Bills!
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I believe the spirit of what you are saying is that racists will be upset with the halftime show, but it could be interpreted as "if you don't like rap you are a racist".

I don't listen to much from the upcoming halftime show's artists, but I don't hate them either. I just hope eminem doesn't make up a majority of the show. While I respect his ability, his music never really appealed to me. I'd rather listen to someone like Too $hort rap slowly, lol.

With that said, I wouldn't expect any rock bands I listen to, like Primus, Clutch, Qotsa, etc, to play a halftime gig. Much less any of the heavier bands I like.

That's ok with me since I generally skip the halftime show anyway.

Go Bills!
    oh yeah, I didn't mean in the the latter way. I know my dad isn't a fan of rap and he's like anti racist. But ive run into more than a few people that use really stupid coded language / dohwhistles for why rock is superior to rap.

I don't even know how that lineup will be able to perform anything with it being censored. Maybe that is why there are so many of then, they each get 2 minutes.

The issue with them picking rock bands is the ones with name recognition in the US are either basically corpses, would never do it or put out garbage non-stop and get a ton of radio play for some reason. You'd end up with Three Days Grace, Theory of a Dead Man, or Nickelback.

It would never happen for a variety of reasons, but I want to see a band like Jinjer or Spiritbox do the halftime show purely to see how some people react.

The Bengals barely beating the Jags makes me wonder how bad the Steelers really are. The Jags and Bears are horrible and they played the Bengals closer than the Steelers did.

My biggest gripe with halftime shows is the overly fake enthusiastic "fans" (actors) that crowd the stage during the show.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't even know how that lineup will be able to perform anything with it being censored. Maybe that is why there are so many of then, they each get 2 minutes.

The issue with them picking rock bands is the ones with name recognition in the US are either basically corpses, would never do it or put out garbage non-stop and get a ton of radio play for some reason. You'd end up with Three Days Grace, Theory of a Dead Man, or Nickelback.

It would never happen for a variety of reasons, but I want to see a band like Jinjer or Spiritbox do the halftime show purely to see how some people react.

The Bengals barely beating the Jags makes me wonder how bad the Steelers really are. The Jags and Bears are horrible and they played the Bengals closer than the Steelers did.
    The Steelers are weird.

They lose to the Bengals who beat the Jaguars (who feel like another top 5 picking team again) on a field goal.

Yet at the same time I can't feel safe about the Packers beating them this week. They feel like the Saints in that way. Where every week you feel like they have a shot, but 50% of the time that shot will be directed at their own foot.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The NFL needs to bring back 80s-style halftime shows. This was some good shit:

Half time is to go to the bathroom and grab snacks. Commercials are the real reason to watch the super bowl

I know the NFL needs their news stories, but boy am I tired of hearing about the Jags. Like we get it, Trevor Lawrence almost never lost until now. But he is 0-4 now, so quit saying it. And we get it, Urban Meyer isn't doing so hot, whoa! this isn't college ball anymore!

That was funny and interesting the first two weeks but how long are they going to keep this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I know the NFL needs their news stories, but boy am I tired of hearing about the Jags. Like we get it, Trevor Lawrence almost never lost until now. But he is 0-4 now, so quit saying it. And we get it, Urban Meyer isn't doing so hot, whoa! this isn't college ball anymore!

That was funny and interesting the first two weeks but how long are they going to keep this up?
    It's a multi-billion dollar industry fueled by hot takes and dumb storylines. It basically fuels a million sports talk radio every year by itself. I don't anticipate it going away any time soon.

They report on every team. So I suspect another 14 weeks of stories about the Jags. Minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

They also played last night, so you’re going to get analysis of the game/teams from Thursday night.
    I guess I would rather hear about actual new developments, I don't know. Its just the start of every Jags game is the same, UH OH, THE KID THAT NEVER LOSES, WHATS GUNNA HAPPEN?! Well he is 0-4 now, so you can stop saying he is the kid that never loses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jaguars lose = story about the Jaguars losing, what else do you expect?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/...858674695?s=21

Dan Campbell: NFL told me delay of game is "a subjective call."

Lol they're not even trying anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post

I would die a happy man if Jinjer did the halftime show lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/...858674695?s=21

Dan Campbell: NFL told me delay of game is "a subjective call."

Lol they're not even trying anymore.
    The NFL is right, it is a subjective call. It's subject to how incompetent the referees are.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Should be pretty easy to get right. They just need to start using the tech available to them.
    Even without using more tech, it should take at most half a second for a ref to go from looking at the play clock reaching 0 to checking if the ball has been snapped. The Ravens got 2 extra seconds somehow on that play. If it takes a ref 2 seconds to turn their head slightly, they need to be fired immediately so they can get on with their life's work.

But you're right, something as simple as giving the ref an earpiece that will buzz when the play clock hits 0 to enable them to always have their eyes on the ball would eliminate the need for any kind of leeway. They can even add an extra second to the start of the play clock to compensate for the elimination of the leeway if they want. There is literally zero reason not to do this, other than it might upset some of the "purists" who like the human element of the referees. Call me crazy, but I watch sports for the human element of the players, not the refs.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

The subjective nature of holding, PI, taunting, etc kind of gives me the feeling that it's scripted like wwe to an extent. That or refs work with bookies to influence games. For years it has been making me enjoy the game less in spite of my favorite team finally being decent.

I get that stuff can be hard to process for refs at game speed, but there are often times where the whole world looks at a call they fail to see or reverse, and collectively facepalms.