Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Statement still stands, shoulda been put on administrative leave at least before the game. Though I am not sure about the rules concerning that and a coach.
    The NFL couldn't do anything about it because Gruden wasn't an NFL employee at the time. The current belief is they forwarded all this to the Raiders last week to see if they wanted to do something....and then it leaked to the NYT when the Raiders dragged their feet yesterday after the "one EMail."

10+ Year Old Account
    now just need Snyder to get pressured out.

or slammed by the feds.

I don't see anything wrong with insulting Goodell, any politician (guess Goodell fits in here too) or most of the NFL owners. Picking the xbox live dictionary to do it wasn't the best decision though. I don't like Gruden and found him extremely annoying when he did stuff for ESPN, but didn't expect him to be as bad as most of the leaked things show.

Considering all of this is coming out because of the investigation into the Redskins, Snyder is probably next when more stuff is found about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with insulting Goodell, any politician (guess Goodell fits in here too) or most of the NFL owners. Picking the xbox live dictionary to do it wasn't the best decision though. I don't like Gruden and found him extremely annoying when he did stuff for ESPN, but didn't expect him to be as bad as most of the leaked things show.

Considering all of this is coming out because of the investigation into the Redskins, Snyder is probably next when more stuff is found about him.
    Yeah I'm sure lots of coaches are out here shitting their pants right now. Or probably not, I'm sure Gruden is well off enough that he can just go sail on a boat for the rest of his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its all bad but I question whether its much worse than what most NFL coaches were saying 10+ years ago. I don't care about Gruden, he can go, but I'm not going to vilify him either, at least not specifically him. All that behavior needs to go but hopefully they don't up and fire everybody everywhere.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Its all bad but I question whether its much worse than what most NFL coaches were saying 10+ years ago. I don't care about Gruden, he can go, but I'm not going to vilify him either, at least not specifically him. All that behavior needs to go but hopefully they don't up and fire everybody everywhere.
    I'm sure there were others, but the real question is, were they dumb enough to use league/team email to be a bigot?

Also fuck, can they not put Blankenship on blast? He is upset and they are just leaving the camera on him....

10+ Year Old Account
    No defence of him here, I was fine with the team showing progress but not success, but nothing in these emails is defensible beyond saying Goodell doesn't understand football.

That he's resigned is a "I jumped before I was pushed"

This season is probably a dud now. Roll on 2022
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    No defence of him here, I was fine with the team showing progress but not success, but nothing in these emails is defensible beyond saying Goodell doesn't understand football.

That he's resigned is a "I jumped before I was pushed"

Not to try and talk "the future" given the news is still breaking but this is gonna suck for Raiders fans.

Gruden was basically the guy standing between the team and dealing Carr, so they're probably going to deal Carr now in the offseason and suck for a few years while they look for "the guy."

Not to mention with Gruden gone probably means another culture reset which means more wasted draft picks on culture guys.

Any promise this team has I think went down the drain with those emails.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I don't think there's a reason to believe "the guy" can't have an immediate impact. Both Burrow and Herbert were immediate impacts. You just gotta know who to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Nah, they will be 4-2 after this weekend and end up in the playoffs because the rest of the teams that will be contending for a wild card spot are all not good.

Then Mayock will pick some 4th round guy from Clemson in the 1st again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't think there's a reason to believe "the guy" can't have an immediate impact. Both Burrow and Herbert were immediate impacts. You just gotta know who to pick.
    I didn't know first round picks were supposed to make an impact at all, let alone an immediate one.
    Last edited by Grube; 2021-10-12 at 02:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Not to try and talk "the future" given the news is still breaking but this is gonna suck for Raiders fans.

Gruden was basically the guy standing between the team and dealing Carr, so they're probably going to deal Carr now in the offseason and suck for a few years while they look for "the guy."

Not to mention with Gruden gone probably means another culture reset which means more wasted draft picks on culture guys.

Any promise this team has I think went down the drain with those emails.
    See, this is the kind of shit I don't buy. The talk was endlessly how Gruden was looking to ship Carr and bring in his own guy. Every.Fucking.Offseason we had this shit.

Now he's apparently the reason we kept Carr? I'm not seeing it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Good riddance to Gruden. I hope he crawls under a rock never to be seen/heard from again. Even before all these emails leaked, I've always thought of him as a smug, egotistical, overrated asshole who won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team. Keyshawn Johnson must be feeling pretty redeemed right now. While he never said anything specific to the racism/sexism/homophobia from Gruden, he has been telling everyone for years what a terrible person Gruden is in general.

Also, this is the best news the Raiders could have possibly gotten, to get out from under his ridiculous contract.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

This game is wild, its like at the half Baltimore was like " fine I guess we have to try"

Also I never liked Gruden either, when I heard he was coming back to coach I rolled my eyes for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can still draft a guy and keep Carr, he's on the last year of his deal next year.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    More Gruden EMails are leaking. It doesn't look good. Homophobic slurs, railing against women refs, protests during the anthems, and lamenting the pressure to draft "queers" when Michael Sam announced he was gay pre-draft in 2014. Might be awkward since Gruden has the one openly gay starting player in the league on his team.
    I would’ve thought the opposite, maybe show that him having an openly gay guy on his team being treated like everyone else would show the comments were outdated or he was exaggerating. Unless he has actually treated him worse or different or tried to trade him etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Chargers are real, question is can they keep this up the full season. History with them has shown they'll find the cliff eventually.

If I had to guess, Browns-Bills AFC Championship. Somebody's suffering's gonna be at an end this year.
    I mean you say that, but then the Bills get to the super bowl and pull an Atlanta against Tom Brady. In many ways that would be worse than just being an awful team for a Bills fan I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    I mean you say that, but then the Bills get to the super bowl and pull an Atlanta against Tom Brady. In many ways that would be worse than just being an awful team for a Bills fan I would think.
    I would quit watching football
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I would’ve thought the opposite, maybe show that him having an openly gay guy on his team being treated like everyone else would show the comments were outdated or he was exaggerating. Unless he has actually treated him worse or different or tried to trade him etc.
    These were private emails between himself and Bruce Allen (unless I missed something), so he could have used completely different language in front of the team. There have already been current/former players that defended him on the racist stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Especially for any that remember meeting Dallas in the Super Bowl in 93… the only good part of that game for most of them was the halftime show.
    I remember '93. We got spanked and had to take a moral victory with Don Beebe stripping Deon Lett of a surefire fumble return for a TD. We still lost 52-17, which I think is still the worst margin of victory in SB history (certainly was at the time).

'94, against the same Cowboys, was way worse. We were leading after halftime, got the ball, and were driving to probably make it a two TD game. And then Thurman Thomas, Hall of Fame running back and as sure-handed as they get, got stripped of the ball, and the Cowboys returned it for a TD to tie the game up. The camera panned on the Buffalo bench, and everyone's head was hanging, and even though it was tied like a minute in to the 3rd quarter, everyone knew we were losing then. The weight of 4 Super Bowl losses sunk in right there. It made me sick to my stomach.

I was also almost 13, and going through puberty. Talk about formative experiences. It's why I still hate the Cowboys more than the Patriots to this day. I had learned how to deal with suffering by the time of the rise of Tom Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    These were private emails between himself and Bruce Allen (unless I missed something), so he could have used completely different language in front of the team. There have already been current/former players that defended him on the racist stuff.
    One interesting note: Bruce Allen is the brother of George Allen, former Governor and Senator from Virginia, who ended up losing a re-election bid in 2006, likely in part to his own racist controversy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...ca_controversy

I haven't heard Bruce comment on any of this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to know that he was completely comfortable with the things Gruden was saying.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020