Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Blizzard can't create good games anymore

With the mass of old games being remastered to feed the hungry nostalgic player and the criticism that blizzard receives for almost everything that has been released recently, I am not surprised. Blizzard simply lacks developers with a feeling for that certain something, developers who are children themselves and like to develop games, real games.

Games are simply no longer developed out of passion or because developers obviously enjoy doing them, but only so that they don't end up in the red at the end of the year. How can you develop games without much effort to keep the player on the hook, this is what 99% of all game industries are pursuing today. And don't get me wrong, that's fine too. But with the amount with which players are just getting f*cked over it no longer funny.

I also think it is not because blizzard doesn't want to create good games with effort anymore, they just can't. It feels like their games are currently being developed by lawyers and tax advisors instead of real developers with a burning passion for it.

Just wanted to get rid of.

Cheers

3+ Year Old Account
    Most of the 'Old Guard' is gone too. They've either moved to another company, made their own, or just quit completely. It probably dosen't help
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Well yes, that's what happens when the #1 thing is how to monetize the most out of the product and invest as little as possible. This is what happens when a company turns into a corporation or is absorbed by one.
    It's not really that the developers don't want to or can't, they are just required to respect certain elements, in the case of retail it's just drag it along through gating and rng.

I think we all think that, but what can you do. I haven't found much else I like in PoE, Grim Dawn, Torchlight etc. So I stick with Diablo, and same for WoW.

I think it comes down to Blizzard maybe just being bloated, the smart people might not get heard - I saw an example of say a community so-me explanation, what intails just posting some stupid social media blue post crap...Like multiple people for cross-translations and blabla.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Blizzard dont have the balls...or maybe are just not in a position willing to take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    With the mass of old games being remastered to feed the hungry nostalgic player and the criticism that blizzard receives for almost everything that has been released recently, I am not surprised. Blizzard simply lacks developers with a feeling for that certain something, developers who are children themselves and like to develop games, real games.

Games are simply no longer developed out of passion or because developers obviously enjoy doing them, but only so that they don't end up in the red at the end of the year. How can you develop games without much effort to keep the player on the hook, this is what 99% of all game industries are pursuing today. And don't get me wrong, that's fine too. But with the amount with which players are just getting f*cked over it no longer funny.

I also think it is not because blizzard doesn't want to create good games with effort anymore, they just can't. It feels like their games are currently being developed by lawyers and tax advisors instead of real developers with a burning passion for it.

Cheers
    Blizzard become one of the the avrerage game companies actually lower than average. They dont have even have a one decent game but garbage..
    Last edited by Titancore; 2021-02-23 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    Blizzard dont have the balls...or maybe are just not in a position willing to take risks.
    now that activi$ion is running the show in full, the last bit of "make a good game and the rest will take care of itself" is gone now its all for "profit$!!!"
    Last edited by Stormspellz; 2021-02-23 at 09:08 PM.

Honestly...the only game I play from Blizzard is WoW, and make that "played" because I quit even WoW a couple of weeks ago, but I will probably come back if Ion gets his shit together.
    Other than that...I guess Diablo Resurrected looks cool for the near future.

Thats what you get when all the talent who made their most succesful titles have all left and having Activision force Blizzard to do whatever it takes to maximise profits. They might still have talent who really want to make their own projects, but the studio probably prevents them from making it so as their ideas for new IP's won't bring nearly as much as just rehashing old established IP's. Its basically why Ghostcrawler left, and I'm sure many others were in the same situation.

At their current state I compare them to Disney. Once a beloved and innovative company that always delivered many great products, now both of them turned into soulless and creatively bankrupt companies.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post

It feels like their games are currently being developed by lawyers and tax advisors instead of real developers with a burning passion for it.

Cheers
    Exactly.

Blizzard become one of the game companies that is lower than average. They dont have even have a one decent game but garbage..

It is hilarious how hyperbolic people are on the internet. Every time a band releases an album, every time a new game comes out, every new season of a TV series there's always these doomsayers who think that the world Is crumbling down around them. Why even post? Are you hoping someone can change your opinion (hint - no one will). So are you here to just discuss how much you hate Blizzard now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is not in the business of innovating, taking risks, or even getting out of their own comfort zone.
    They are in the business maintaining the status quo and making money, if the status quo continues to make money.

And this is not knew information.

Quote Originally Posted by MatPandaZ View Post
    So are you here to just discuss how much you hate Blizzard now?

This is pretty much it.

MMO-Champion has always --always-- had non-stop complaining/whining threads about the company, the game, and everything in between. But as of the past year or so it has been a lot. Just threads and posts popping up left and right saying the exact same shit over and over. Such an increase of game/company bashing, sarcastic bait threads, low-effort "this is how I feel" threads from people who have really no point to make other than "snow storm company bad" and it just keeps going.

At some point MMO-Champion should just create a sub-forum called "Blizzard Hate" and more than half of the activity in this main forum would just slip into that one.

Most of it is trolling for the sake of trolling. They can get away with it, so why not?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-02-23 at 09:04 PM.

It is hilarious how hyperbolic people are on the internet. Every time a band releases an album, every time a new game comes out, every new season of a TV series there's always these doomsayers who think that the world Is crumbling down around them. Why even post? Are you hoping someone can change your opinion (hint - no one will). So are you here to just discuss how much you hate Blizzard now?
    What are forums for if not for people to express their opinions and discuss? Feel that blizzard is doing a great job? Then say so.

I can only think of one bad Blizzard game -- reforged, which was outsourced. If you think that Blizzard makes "bad" games, you're just plain ignorant. You can think they aren't for you, but Blizzard's games ooze quality and have a standard of polish that most other companies just can't meet.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's sad, but you know "no kings rules forever"
    people with talent come and go, it's just a rare occurrence when enough people of talent gather and produce historical games.
    old rareware, old blizzard, old squaresoft, and many others you will think about.
    it just shows that it's not the company that makes the game, it's the talents within it. talents who... leave when they feel like it's time to stop

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeye we get it, you hate blizzard. Thats why you on a forum dedicated to their games.... lul
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Isn't it the sole purpose of this forum?

This is a forum were people come to discuss, share ideas and find information. Especially discussions and talks about whatever topic is something alot of people do, here on MMO champ or any other site. Most forums dont hold any power and most of the time nothing "comes out of it".

Thats not really the point either. If you think thats the purpose of having fansites with forums, you have missed the point. Makes me wonder why you are here in the first place.

On topic: Yeah I feel the same, that Blizzard will never really release new and great games. I do hope they prove me wrong one day, but by the looks of it, thats not happening anytime soon.

If BC launches in august/september(rumor says so) 2021, we can expect hypetrain for WotLK late 2022 with a release in 2023. So in the wow section everything is good. Work on new xpac, relaunch BC then work/relaunch WotlK and xpac for retail launch.

Blizzard can just breeze through the next 3/4+ years knowing retail xpacs and BC+WotLK will earn lots of money. Couple that with D2 remastered they are set.

They have obviously given up on SC2 and most likely HoTs, leaving OW2 & D4. Two games that are years to be released.

So whats left? Mobile games. They will double down on that and in the coming years we will probably see "new" games for excisting IPs being launched.

Why has it come to this? I think wow was such a success Blizzard could just drift on that game without needing to "invent" themself again. They had an IP that is a guarantee moneycow and its even better now when relaunches of old xpacs is a thing.

Plus the people that made Blizzard games in the first place are long gone for many reasons and been replaced by others who aint that talented. I also have a feeling they are more focused on the monthly/yearly income of each game, having to always make more money than last year, or else its a failure. This pressure makes them shift priority, and thats why we see store mounts, pets, boosts, wow token++ on top of a wow sub. Dont get me wrong, making money is ofc a priority, but I think its leening a bit to much that way.

Blizzard is also so lucky they got so many people that obviously are hooked on playing wow on a daily basis, even if they dislike the game. Thats gotta be rare in the gaming world, were alot of people play the game alot while hating it at the same time. People are hooked in and cant stop.

no one can change my mind and i am not looking for a reason to play, i already do. what interests me more is if there are other people who share my opinion.

Well, there are not many new games from blizz. I enjoyed every SC title, i enjoyed D3 and wow.

D4, D2R and OW2 look amazing to me so far. I dislike nearly every aspect of SL (nearly no char progression, grinding fpr dumb cosmetics, itemisation, Balance, M+ tuning, and so much more) - so my sub runs out. That is ok for me, i have had a lot of good time in SL, spend many hours in it.

From my point of view, i can still buy any blizz game they release. i will have my fun with it and it will be worth it. Looking forward to buy wow 2.0 from them in the far future