Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Shadowlands is a good expansion. It's not a GREAT expansion, but it's a good one.

Diablo 3 ROS was also great. Starcraft 2 was also great. Overwatch was a monster for the first year or two.

Boring doomposting.

Games are simply no longer developed out of passion
    Game developing is a job. You do it for money. Stop thinking developers are doing this stuff for you, they're making a living. Yes, they may have passion for the game they make, but it's still their job.

You're only going to hurt yourself by simping for any game dev company.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    With the mass of old games being remastered to feed the hungry nostalgic player and the criticism that blizzard receives for almost everything that has been released recently, I am not surprised. Blizzard simply lacks developers with a feeling for that certain something, developers who are children themselves and like to develop games, real games.

Games are simply no longer developed out of passion or because developers obviously enjoy doing them, but only so that they don't end up in the red at the end of the year. How can you develop games without much effort to keep the player on the hook, this is what 99% of all game industries are pursuing today. And don't get me wrong, that's fine too. But with the amount with which players are just getting f*cked over it no longer funny.

I also think it is not because blizzard doesn't want to create good games with effort anymore, they just can't. It feels like their games are currently being developed by lawyers and tax advisors instead of real developers with a burning passion for it.

Just wanted to get rid of.

Cheers
    The myth that people made games out of passion is just that a myth. It always was, and will always be like everything else in this world how to make money first, expand more and to become the top dog. Capitalism 101. The difference between Activision/EA and their likes vs some indi company isn't that the indy company is your friend. It's that they have not become successful enough to take the next step in a business.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The myth that people made games out of passion is just that a myth. It always was, and will always be like everything else in this world how to make money first, expand more and to become the top dog. Capitalism 101. The difference between Activision/EA and their likes vs some indi company isn't that the indy company is your friend. It's that they have not become successful enough to take the next step in a business.
    True. This idealistic thought people seem to have where game companies are their friends is really foolish imo. No one in the games business can afford to make games off of passion and skittles. But where I think this comes from is the idolization of games as a cultural movement, and the subsequent emotional investment that causes people to be unable to either let go, or look at things objectively with facts rather than hyperbole and gross misinformation.

Over the years, I've gotten the message from random forum posters that companies make games purely for their satisfaction. Anything a company does to try to make money is some type of abomination.

The myth that people made games out of passion is just that a myth.
    This is definitely not a myth. No idea where you get such a BS from. You also create something for yourself and not for others. Something like that has a personal value at some point. Attention to detail is a rare commodity these days, which was often present in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    True. This idealistic thought people seem to have where game companies are their friends is really foolish imo. No one in the games business can afford to make games off of passion and skittles. But where I think this comes from is the idolization of games as a cultural movement, and the subsequent emotional investment that causes people to be unable to either let go, or look at things objectively with facts rather than hyperbole and gross misinformation.
    I think thats not true. Look how many strange games were produced 15-25 years ago. Not all of them were good, not all of there were successes but they were definitly outstanding. Games like Black & White. There were definitly people behind them that had a passion for video games and games were much more innovative and took greater risks.
    Today everything is streamlined. Games are designed by marketing divisions, they are meant to check as many boxes as possible to make it appeal to the most amount of people. Thats why everything is so same-y nowerdays and why there are soooo many sequels.

I don't think companies were friends of the people back then, i don't even think that the big names made the games for the gamers back then, they made them for themselves if anything. Look at Richard Garriot and how much he lived his Lord British nonsense back then.
    I think thats part of the reason why so many people still support Chris Roberts because even if SC may never release he is one of the old guard and SC is certainly a passion project for him.

Especially with a corporate shill leading the company

the only game i enjoy from blizzard at the moment is overwatch, and its the one made by the old devs (that are left anyway), and evne then it felt incomplete, u have activion and now and other stuff. so yea. i think overwatch is blizzards future, but u can still feel its off.

all the og devs have either left to Riot Games or are on overwatch

Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    Whether you pay them only for one job or buy them out its the same result. The whole point is they got an entire team outside blizz to get it done right.
    The team that created reforged was dissolved and they got an outside company to do a job they couldn't do internally.
    And that "outside team" came from a tiny project owned by Activision... a part of the Blizzard family. It may look like semantics, but an Acti-Blizz company turned out an Acti-Blizz product. The word "outsourced" was incorrectly used here and you might want to understand the limitations of the word before trying to die on that hill making a point. Outsourcing is physically going outside of Activision or Blizzard to a 3rd party, non-affiliated, contract only company to handle some or all of the work. All of this work was handled in house.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I mean lets be real. The studio that was great had its name bought so that it could be slapped onto crap in the hopes that it will sell more units.
    That isn't real at all because it isn't true. Vivendi acquired Blizzard in 1995. Vivendi merged their games department with Activision in 2007 and retained ownership until 2018. The studio that was great remained the same. People really need to stop trying to shift blame to other forces then Blizzard. If we are being real it is because Blizzard didn't do much to diversify their portfolio and has a slow pace of development. Even when they have tried to speed up WoW content they haven't delivered.

Blizzard made Blizzard into what it is today. If you don't like the games it isn't because of Activision. It is because of Blizzard changing with the times.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

If there aren't a few hundreds of thousands to millions of people still feeding them easy money through WoW and Hearthstone, especially through microtransactions, maybe they would have felt the pressure to innovate more.

As is I think their strategy is completely fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is hardly a myth. You can see the passion in some games and it isn't always about the money. NMS is a good case of this. A rocky start but the passion of the developers has kept it going with free updates almost 5 years later and the game is drastically different from when it launched. Passion is still a large part of game development for a lot of people. Passion alone doesn't sustain or make a game though. But it helps. A lot.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That isn't real at all because it isn't true. Vivendi acquired Blizzard in 1995. Vivendi merged their games department with Activision in 2007 and retained ownership until 2018. The studio that was great remained the same. People really need to stop trying to shift blame to other forces then Blizzard. If we are being real it is because Blizzard didn't do much to diversify their portfolio and has a slow pace of development. Even when they have tried to speed up WoW content they haven't delivered.

Blizzard made Blizzard into what it is today. If you don't like the games it isn't because of Activision. It is because of Blizzard changing with the times.
    I am confused how you pulled this from what I said. I didn't mention Activation or Vivendi at all. I didn't say it wasn't Blizzards fault. Just because they print stickers and slap them on things doesn't mean they aren't the ones running the printers and pouching on nostalgia of the past. You made a few assumptions to make a point you want to make. Which is fine. Just do it on someone else's lawn.

One can sell out to ones self.

I think OP and those that would agree with them are just burnt out. Shadowlands is an amazing expansion, so good. The only other game I've praised in my life as much as this expansion is Tales of Symphonia. I've never been so glued to my seat waiting to hear about what comes next in the story.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am confused how you pulled this from what I said. I didn't mention Activation or Vivendi at all. I didn't say it wasn't Blizzards fault. Just because they print stickers and slap them on things doesn't mean they aren't the ones running the printers and pouching on nostalgia of the past. You made a few assumptions to make a point you want to make. Which is fine. Just do it on someone else's lawn.
    So who bought the studio name then? Weird right? I made no assumptions. You can't sell out to yourself that is the point. It has always been Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So who bought the studio name then? Weird right? I made no assumptions. You can't sell out to yourself that is the point. It has always been Blizzard.
    I guess you are going to cry about this all day.

With the mass of old games being remastered to feed the hungry nostalgic player and the criticism that blizzard receives for almost everything that has been released recently, I am not surprised. Blizzard simply lacks developers with a feeling for that certain something, developers who are children themselves and like to develop games, real games.
    I assume you are the CEO of a very succesful gaming company and thus know what a "real" game is. I mean you have to be, otherwise you critizising a multi-million dollar company that was and is extremely successful for over 20 years, would be hilariously foolish.

Games are simply no longer developed out of passion or because developers obviously enjoy doing them, but only so that they don't end up in the red at the end of the year. How can you develop games without much effort to keep the player on the hook, this is what 99% of all game industries are pursuing today. And don't get me wrong, that's fine too. But with the amount with which players are just getting f*cked over it no longer funny.
    Oh my gawd. Stop living in dreams where people work only because it makes other people smile and everyone is passionate about their job!

That was not ever the case and it won't ever be the case. This is reality. People need money. They have to pay rent, food and other things. Of course they try to make money with their games. Companies need to make money with their games, so they can pay people who might even enjoy their jobs, but who mostly do it because they require income to feed their families.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess you are going to cry about this all day.
    Huh? How is responding to you the equivalent of crying all day? Are you also confused on how many hours there are in a day?

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    Blizzard dont have the balls...or maybe are just not in a position willing to take risks.
    can you blame them? when they take risk and it ends up being good people will barely mention it, if they take risks and it ends up badly its end of the world, worst game/patch/feature/whatever, if someone constantly shit on your attempts to improve things you will stay on "safe" path eventualy...

"Making games is so easy and they are so bad at it. If they just did what i want them to every game would be good"

I'm sure half of you even call yourself developers when you are doing css/html from your moms basement :/