Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dwarf vs Orc in a grapple, who wins?

Seems Dwarf muscle density is pretty high according to lore.

Also orcs>humans in a grapple, and dwarfs>human in a grapple.

So dwarf vs orc?

Blackhand threw a horse.

orc is taller/larger and therefore has more leverage, so probably orc

unless you start figuring out weight classes I guess

well im pretty sure the orc would just kick the dwarf in hte face and call it a gg

Kyphotic> dwarf > scoliosis orc?

I often wonder why people question things like this, when logic is so easily available to answer it for you.

Orcs are almost twice as tall, carry more muscle, are physically larger in every way imaginable. But somehow, this isn't obvious to you as to who would win in a contest of physical strength.

How?

If you would've asked gnome vs goblin, okay sure, I can see some ways you wouldn't be able to tell clearly. But Orc vs Dwarf... what the fuck...

Orcs have a base STR of 23.
    Dwarves have a base STR of 22.

Mass increases exponentially with size. They're nowhere near the same weight class. Orcs just have more mass. In a straight strength contest, especially a short one, an Orc will win.

Maybe in an extended skirmish the Dwarf may not tire as fast because they have a lot more reserves to burn, but at that point they're not winning a strength contest by virtue of strength - at that point it'd be more a victory of endurance and intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Orcs have a base STR of 23.
    Dwarves have a base STR of 22.

Mass increases exponentially with size. They're nowhere near the same weight class. Orcs just have more mass. In a straight strength contest, especially a short one, an Orc will win.

Maybe in an extended skirmish the Dwarf may not tire as fast because they have a lot more reserves to burn, but at that point they're not winning a strength contest by virtue of strength - at that point it'd be more a victory of endurance and intellect.
    And orcs lose any contest of intellect, judging by their behavior in the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I often wonder why people question things like this, when logic is so easily available to answer it for you.

Orcs are almost twice as tall, carry more muscle, are physically larger in every way imaginable. But somehow, this isn't obvious to you as to who would win in a contest of physical strength.

How?

If you would've asked gnome vs goblin, okay sure, I can see some ways you wouldn't be able to tell clearly. But Orc vs Dwarf... what the fuck...
    I guarantee a real life chimpanzee beats an orc, based on current lore, just like a tiger shreds a lion in 1v1.

https://www.sciencealert.com/researc...%202.5%20times.

lol
    what kind if question even is this. dwarfs might me stronger than humans, but an orc is 3 times more larger and has 3 times more mass. this isnt a fight, its an execution.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    And orcs lose any contest of intellect, judging by their behavior in the lore.
    Well, Dwarfs have a base INT of 19, Orcs have 17. So, yeah, don't think an Orc necessarily out-smarts a Dwarf who is planning a longer endurance match. In this kind of scenario the Orc would probably make a lot of stupid mistakes trying to rush the fight faster, even if they figured it out. A Dwarf's STA is measured at 23 base to an Orc's 22. So, basically the difference in their STR from earlier (23-22), so really the INT here is probably more the deciding factor in this kind of longer bout if the Dwarf is even planning for it. But, again, the Dwarves don't have too high an INT score either so whether they're planning to work for their longer fight advantage is probably a question of itself. In a worse-case scenario the Dwarf would be intoxicated and be making more impulsive decisions, which would more likely result in a a faster bout which they would be more likely to lose to the Orc in this case.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only race who rly can surpass the Orc in Strength are Taurens, and that without the characteristic orcish bloodfury

Warcraft orcs are massive. This is not even close.

Dwarves may be sturdy and strong. But which of the two can you see slamming the other one around?

I'll have to hand it to the orc here. Even if they'd be equally strong, which I am not fully convinced of, the Dwarf has less weight, less range.

That's not to say that Orcs will beat Dwarves outside of grapples. Of course not. Dwarves have superior gear, superior training, and make for smaller more compact targets, letting you maximize defense. That goes a very long way towards overcoming a dwarf's weaknesses on an actual battlefield.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalaator View Post
    I guarantee a real life chimpanzee beats an orc, based on current lore.

https://www.sciencealert.com/researc...%202.5%20times.
    You linked a very interesting article. It was a great read!

But I don't think it supports your claim. You think an orc is only 1.5 times stronger than a human? Also, wouldn't the Chimpanzee tire out sooner? It sounds like they lack endurance that Humans have. I don't think orcs have that problem.

Still, thanks for linking the article!

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Well, Dwarfs have a base INT of 19, Orcs have 17. So, yeah, don't think an Orc necessarily out-smarts a Dwarf who is planning a longer endurance match. In this kind of scenario the Orc would probably make a lot of stupid mistakes trying to rush the fight faster, even if they figured it out. A Dwarf's STA is measured at 23 base to an Orc's 22. So, basically the difference in their STR from earlier (23-22), so really the INT here is probably more the deciding factor in this kind of longer bout if the Dwarf is even planning for it. But, again, the Dwarves don't have too high an INT score either so whether they're planning to work for their longer fight advantage is probably a question of itself. In a worse-case scenario the Dwarf would be intoxicated and be making more impulsive decisions, which would more likely result in a a faster bout which they would be more likely to lose to the Orc in this case.
    If you're taking in game base stats into account, you should take racials into account as well. Everyone is underestimating how much of a power boost Stoneform is for a dwarf. Blizzard hasn't really explored this ability lorewise, but it definitely seems like a huge boost in mass/density and durability. In game the racial makes the dwarf grow larger and take 10% less damage.

Of course the Orc's Bloodfury should also be taken into account. I don't know what % the damage increase is though.

A Stoneformed Dwarf vs a Bloodfuried Orc is a closer fight than people think it is.
    "Father, is it over? I see only darkness before me."

Maybe the Orc has the mass but the Dwarf has a gun.

Dwarves have a lower center of gravity which is generally an advantage in a fight and... well that's it. They have long beards that are easy grapple points and cannot compete with the sheer difference in terms of mass, even assuming equal strength which I doubt.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    An Orc can lift a dwarf like it was nothing. It would be like the Hulk smashing Loki.

If you want an idea of how strong Orcs are look at Garrosh vs Taran Zhu. Garrosh swings a massive chain like a whip then uses it to lift a 400lb + Pandaren in armor into the air and over to him. He then holds him while he is impaled by his axe with one freaking arm. Garrosh also lifted an Orc in heavy plate with one arm.

If an Orc wanted too he could tear a persons limbs off like pealing a banana.

5+ Year Old Account
    If dwarf body made of Iron, Stone, Ice or Diamond then dwarf is more powerful.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Umm, and orc would send a dwarf flying