Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Unfortunate side effect of being an asian MMO. It is a miracle we got Hrothgar at all limited though they are.
    Huh? What do you mean by that?
    To be honest though: In wow, most races are modified humans too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    Not to be that guy, but please feel free to share your clears of Ultimates.
    Aye, though I kind of understand their point: WoW offers a lot more bosses and raid content in general compared to FF-XIV.
    To a raid retiree like me, raiding not being the laser-focus of the game is a strength but to others it may be a turn-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, though I kind of understand their point: WoW offers a lot more bosses and raid content in general compared to FF-XIV.
    To a raid retiree like me, raiding not being the laser-focus of the game is a strength but to others it may be a turn-off.
    Agree. The problem I have with FFXIV is that you only get bosses in a 4-boss raid tier. They do not deviate. This is how it is and will forever be.

For those who are following the thread and may not know, XIV raids for an expansion are broken up into three sets of four bosses, balanced towards an 8 man group. These are the real raid tiers, while the game also introduces separate 24 man raids that are more on par with LFR difficulty every other patch. So, the patch cycle is 8 man, 24 man, 8, 24, 8, 24.

It would be like an entire expansion consisting of raids of.. Tichondrius / Krosus / Elisande / Guldan ... then in two patches.. Goroth, Maiden, Avatar, and Kiljaeden, etc etc.

Another complaint I do actually have about the raid bosses are the utter lack of adds. It seems that they are completely shy with even attempting to put adds into Savage content because of how Alexander went. Sure, adds show up in Ultimates, and Shiva did have a 40 second phase with adds for a 15 minute fight, but every now and then it would be nice to have a fight where you are dealing with constant waves of adds to handle. I do hope they reconsider their assumed 'self-ban' on adds in Savage content. Secondary to that point, it would be nice for Bards to have a signature fight like that. Bards are so strong in sustained 2 target situations.

So, I do agree completely, that only getting 12 "real" bosses an expansion hurts the game in that regard. There are 'Ultimates' though that provide.. hundreds of hours of progression for most 8 man groups to complete. It's unfortunate that Covid caused one of the Ultimates to be cut from this last expansion. Hopefully they get to doing 2 next expansion.
    Last edited by Daltin; 2021-03-30 at 07:11 AM.

My main problem with it are the raids. While everyone likes saying that wow is a dead mmo, the raid designs are great.

Most of the savage FF14 raids (specially in shadowbringers) are "dodge the big aoe or get dunked"....

Meh, I never liked the "Trash-wave" fights in WoW.

Council fights on the other hand...

Yeah I'm biased, I played a Shadow Priest for nearly 10 years.

Well look at any asian MMO. All races are humans with a few extra parts. Horns, tails, ears, whatever.

Hrothgar are different. They actually looks like buff Khajiit with a back pain (non darkspear trolls). The two most highly requested races were Viera and something less human (mostly by western audience). There is a finite number of races FFXIV can use before they need to either cut back on content or extend the wait between patches. Fitting gear on every skeleton takes time that can't just be solved with more money. So Yoshida decided on female only Viera and male only Hrothgar. Also because of their faces, not many gear fits at all. Initially they couldn't wear any head gear, but the dev team modified a few pieces in their free time to fit on Viera and Hrothgar.

The gender lock is still one of the most controversial things in the game, but i understand why it had to be this way.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post

shirtless men
    whats wrong with this?
    are you some kind of homophobic mormon?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    From what I saw when I tried it:

1- Graphics: Sorry but not for me. They look pretty bad because they attempt realism and I can tell you from my very first hand experience, that is hard to achieve. WoW graphics blow FF apart if you ask me.

2- It is not a Final Fantasy game. They have changed the franchise way too much from its roots.

I have played this game on and off for the last few years with WOW as my main and FFXIV as my second - sometimes switching between the two.. in that way.

The issues with FFXIV is its a pick up and play for a month or two then drop as the same pattern per patch is done

Mission update - spend 3 maybe 4 hours doing the questline which normally involves the new instance and then finish that out
    Dungeons and Raids with gear release - you can spend the time doing this daily and weekly if you want to get the best gear

After about 4 - 6 weeks of this you can stop as there is nothing else to do unless and the game goes into for me a maintenance mode for me

3-4 months later repeat cycle...

If you miss a cycle and need catchup buy the gear.. done.. so you dont need to come back for each patch can just skip and do catch up but you will have to go through 8 - 10 hours of quests.. just to do it.

Its not changed it formula in years...

Patch
    Raid 24 man/Dungeon/Mission

Patch
    Raid 8 man/Dungeon/Mission

Raid, Rinse, Repeat

To be far WOW isnt any better but for some reason it keeps me playing daily.. where as to play daily on FFIV I feel I have to do the chores.. think this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by nedor View Post
    To be far WOW isnt any better but for some reason it keeps me playing daily.. where as to play daily on FFIV I feel I have to do the chores.. think this makes sense
    Al I ever did in WoW were chores ... minus the 3 raid evenings. Hell, 60% of my online time was probably spent using WoW as an animated chat box.
    In older expansions, you hit the "raidlog / raid or die" spot so quickly it could make your head spin.

It's common to all MMOs, if you want to play daily.

Personally I've never found a playable race to be inherently more interesting just because it looks inhuman and/or ugly.

When I played WoW, I favoured the likes of Blood Elves, Night Elves and Humans. They looked decent enough but more importantly they had interesting story elements tied to them. Granted, over time a lot of those elements were slowly eroded away...

FFXIV is in a weird spot. It puts a lot more focus on its story but the playable races don't really get much attention or depth.

I absolutely agree that they give very little background information on the races in XIV.
    Au'ra got a bit of a spotlight in Stormblood though, that was neat.

I did the free trial up until I think I got the ability to play the Ninja so take this for what you want for 3 examples:

1) Slow leveling, even doing every little thing along with the main quests.
    2) Hated losing my abilities if I do something lower level. Why? Fuck if I know. I clearly want to play even slower from my already slow play.
    3) Ok, this one is my one gripe that got extremely annoying as I played. The god damn loading times/zones. I forgot the town name and zone, but you literally have to go through 4 loading zones for like 30 seconds worth of walking. Get done, talk to the guy, have to leave. Another 4 fucking loading screens. Do the quest. Have to go back to the fucking loading screens again! Leave? FUCKING LOADING SCREENS. Just make that shit seamless! Yeah, WoW has a loading screen if I leave a continent or go into an instance or pvp, but I don't have to have one every time I leave a door or a town.

Little shit like that is why I gave up.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Tried the game, because I was fed up with raiding in Classic.
    My patience lasted about an hour. The graphics, the races/models, the music, no sound NPCs conversations, and generally everything felt "wrong".
    So, I am leveling in Classic again. After playing FF14, I love Classic even more.

I struggle to wrap my head around the job system and, well, the way the game works as a whole. I've tried multiple times to get into the game but it just never took. For whatever reason, I find the whole thing overwhelming. I just don't get the whole, pick a job, you can then pick a better job, and then you can do all the jobs? Is that right?

I feel like I need a real simple guide that holds your hand and explains the entire process of the game system step by step, but I haven't found one that I can easily follow. I've never had a problem with any other MMO< but for whatever reason this one is just a huge blindspot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I struggle to wrap my head around the job system and, well, the way the game works as a whole. I've tried multiple times to get into the game but it just never took. For whatever reason, I find the whole thing overwhelming. I just don't get the whole, pick a job, you can then pick a better job, and then you can do all the jobs? Is that right?

I feel like I need a real simple guide that holds your hand and explains the entire process of the game system step by step, but I haven't found one that I can easily follow. I've never had a problem with any other MMO< but for whatever reason this one is just a huge blindspot for me.
    Honestly, it isn't complicated at all.

Eg:
    You start as a druid, do your class quests until 30, then you get a quest that pimps you to White Mage (via Job Crystal) and you level that till cap. Pretty much like WoW. Once you have the WHM, you never run around as a druid again, so you can basically forget the base job ever existed.

It USED to be that you need another random job at 15 to unlock the advanced jobs but thankfully, they got rid of that nonsense.

Honestly, it isn't complicated at all.

Eg:
    You start as a druid, do your class quests until 30, then you get a quest that pimps you to White Mage (via Job Crystal) and you level that till cap. Pretty much like WoW. Once you have the WHM, you never run around as a druid again, so you can basically forget the base job ever existed.

It USED to be that you need another random job at 15 to unlock the advanced jobs but thankfully, they got rid of that nonsense.
    Really? The sticky on the forum here must be out of date then? For example, it says that if I want to be a Scholar, I need to be an Arcanist 30 and a Conjuror 15. Is the new system just: be a level 30 Arcanist?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Really? The sticky on the forum here must be out of date then? For example, it says that if I want to be a Scholar, I need to be an Arcanist 30 and a Conjuror 15. Is the new system just: be a level 30 Arcanist?
    Yes.
    Summoner/Scholar only need a lvl 30 Arcanist (you always level both btw), Paladin needs only a lvl 30 Gladiator, Whitemage needs a lvl 30 Druid and so on and so forth for the ones that do have base jobs. Only the one that becomes the higher one is required.
    When i very first started, i need lvl 30 Pugilist and lvl 15 something else, but all the secondary requirements are gone by now, so you can completely focus on one class if you so desire without ever learning a 2nd one (unless...well... you wanna play something like let's say Samurai, which require a character of lvl 50 or so before you can unlock and play it, but start at, i think 50)

The 2.5 sec GCD.

Combat is too slow!

Combat can feel clunky depending on the class. I also hate the server lag. Not like me lagging but the actual server lag or whatever you call it. I have played this game for close to 4 years now and STILL get clipped by AoE/telegraphs because even though I was out of it on my screen the server said otherwise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Combat can feel clunky depending on the class. I also hate the server lag. Not like me lagging but the actual server lag or whatever you call it. I have played this game for close to 4 years now and STILL get clipped by AoE/telegraphs because even though I was out of it on my screen the server said otherwise lol.
    I hear that complain often but I think this is due to people just not understanding how the AoE zones work in this game. They aren't tied to the visual warning.
    They are tied to cast-bars 99,5% of the time with very few exceptions.
    I'm not saying this to put blame on you or anything, I'm saying it because people actually don't know this most of the time (or they know but still pretend it's not their own fault)

1. Boss starts a cast: "Big blob of death"
    2. A red warning circle appears below your feet.
    3. The boss finished the cast: "Big blob of death"
    4. You step out of the zone.
    5. The red warning circle disappears now
    6. The boss does the spell animation for "Big blob of death"
    7. You get hit because you didn't leave the circle before the boss finished the cast (step 3), even though you were already outside before the circle disappeared (Step 4).

This means you can actually run *into* the circles/visual effects (step 5+6) and get hit by the abilities on your screen, but you won't actually take any damage because you were outside the effect before step 3 occured. The server "snapshots" your position by the end of the cast, not by the end of the ability or by the time the circle disappears. It's different for PVP or if you want to determine where *other* players currently are or walk towards but it really works well for whatever happens on your own screen and once you understand how each skill works.
    You might say "but the very fact that I can walk into abilities is proof that the server lag is there" and I'd agree, if it weren't also for the fact that boss abilities last for like 5 seconds, even though they only apply 1 hit, and are basically just visuals that sometimes even start ~30-40 seconds *after* the snapshot.

I'm saying 99,5% of the time, because there is actually a very small amount of boss-abilities that work differently. The snake/straight-line mechanic in E10S for example. That AoE zone is actually of the "expanding" type and you only get hit if the void/ability touches you, which means you can stand IN the red-circle. Mechanics like these actually proof that the "hit-detection" (or whatever you want to call it) is pretty decent in this game and net-code works fine for the purpose of raiding properly.

I have no idea how crappy the servers feel to play on when you are living in NZ or something, but in Europe, everytime I hear someone blaming and cursing and swearing on their mothers grave that they "were already outside" are just flat out lying basically pretty much always. Especially if it's comming out of nowhere and that person didn't complain about "skill-delay" or anything beforehand.
    You can actually really tell if you are lagging or having connection issues in this games.

Skill feedback starts to get delayed, the cast bar starts very late and your cast won't get interrupted even though you started moving 2 seconds ago (slide casting is a thing, but you can immediatly tell the difference between that and lags), you start seeing character animations but no damage numbers etc. etc.
    If that happens and you get hit by AoE, yes, it's the server/your connection is at fault. If you can play just fine and get by AoE, it's basically always the player at fault and the inexperience they have with these mechanics.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 02:20 PM.