Page 24 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It used to irk me that some scenes were voice acted while others weren't but I kinda got used to that.

What does bother me is how some speak of the FF14 community as being the purest and most benevolent community out there, when they are just as likely to skin you alive if you have a dissenting opinion of the game. Yes I am being hyperbolic, of course no one is going to kill me for criticizing the game, but it sure gets people worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    It used to irk me that some scenes were voice acted while others weren't but I kinda got used to that.

What does bother me is how some speak of the FF14 community as being the purest and most benevolent community out there, when they are just as likely to skin you alive if you have a dissenting opinion of the game. Yes I am being hyperbolic, of course no one is going to kill me for criticizing the game, but it sure gets people worked up.
    100% right. Look at the defense force assemble here when someone like me says they dislike the art style.

Even tho I said it’s subjective opinion, they can’t handle it and attack attack attack

Even tho everything I said was spot on and just my opinion about why I don’t main ff14

Even though I like FFXIV better, I completely agree about the community statement.

You are not even exaggerating that much, some idiot bothered to create new account here just to tell me that I should die from corona for criticizing patch 5.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Yeah I didn’t even respond. That person needs help and arguing with them isn’t gonna do them any good

Also, the only reason people would be overly offended by my opinion about that (since I said it was subjective and didn’t attack anyone) is if they themselves fit into one of the categories I listed.

No other reason to be so hella defensive, angry, and insulting over someone saying “the art style is too weird for me and it attracts weird people”

Also, kinda funny they latched onto one sentence and not the paragraphs of legit complaints I listed
    Oh, you seem to have forgotten what you actually said:

Also, and this is personal, but i loath the weeb art style. Half of the art style is fantastic FF art, and the other half hurts my eyeballs to look at and only appeals to pedo's and furries. Neither group i want to associate with.
    ONLY appeals to pedo's and furries.

Then you added this:

Not my fault the art style is designed to attract weirdos and creeps

EDIT: Kind of funny tho that you picked out the one line in my complaint page that i said was subjective right away. It really shouldn't have struck that big of a nerve unless...
    DESIGNED to attract weirdos and creeps... it really shouldnt have struck that big of a nerve unless... [im a pedo, a furry, a weirdo or a creep?].

So let's quickly break this down. You are suggesting that the art design is specifically designed to attract pedo's and furrys. That players who are attracted to the art design are ipso facto pedo's or furrys. You arent simply saying that the art design isnt to your taste. You are adding to this by arguing that ONLY pedo's or furrys would be attracted to it. By association anyone who doesnt share your 'subjective opinion' must be a pedo or a furry (or a weirdo/creep). That's what you wrote. Sure, its maybe not what you THINK you wrote. But it's what you wrote. It's an absolutely outrageous position. So i called you on it. Apparently im now also mentally disturbed and 'need help'. And the only reason i'd get offended by your take is if i "fit into one of the caregories...listed.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-19 at 02:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    the roegadyn are just humans with lighter skin, not exactly bulky builds.
    Are you sure you aren't confusing the Roegadyn with any other race?
    They are huge
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Oh, you seem to have forgotten what you actually said:

ONLY appeals to pedo's and furries.

Then you added this:

DESIGNED to attract weirdos and creeps... it really shouldnt have struck that big of a nerve unless... [im a pedo, a furry, a weirdo or a creep?].

So let's quickly break this down. You are suggesting that the art design is specifically designed to attract pedo's and furrys. That players who are attracted to the art design are ipso facto pedo's or furrys. You arent simply saying that the art design isnt to your taste. You are adding to this by arguing that ONLY pedo's or furrys would be attracted to it. By association anyone who doesnt share your 'subjective opinion' must be a pedo or a furry (or a weirdo/creep). That's what you wrote. Sure, its maybe not what you THINK you wrote. But it's what you wrote. It's an absolutely outrageous position. So i called you on it. Apparently im now also mentally disturbed and 'need help'. And the only reason i'd get offended by your take is if i "fit into one of the caregories...listed". How have you not been banned yet?
    Reading comprehension is hard, kid.

I wasn’t saying you needed help, but the other guy who wrote an attack PAGE for nothing

And yea, it’s my opinion that some of that art style exists only to attract a certain crowd. Does it mean every ff player fits that mold? No ofc not, but it does mean that people who do are overwhelmingly drawn to ff14

You are proving his point about the community being hella toxic and thin skinned.

The reason I’m not banned is because I’ve said nothing wrong and haven’t been an asshole. The real question should be why are you still able to post considering all of your posts are just attacking people over opinions, and have all the emotional depth of a troubled 16 year old

Either grow up a ton, or sit the rest of this conversation out because you aren’t mature enough for it and your reading comprehension is amateur hour

Well two problems really.

1) It's for weebs

2) It ain't WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Are you sure you aren't confusing the Roegadyn with any other race?
    They are huge
    Yeah I don't get it really. I don't remember any FF game having the "Conan the Barbarian" type of character. And if we assume for example in FF7 that Barret is the apex of manliness then there's races/characters in FFXIV that achieve that.

This is the normal Hyur male:

This is the Highlander clan:

And this is Roegadyn:

Last edited by Xilurm; 2021-05-19 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Yeah I don't get it really. I don't remember any FF game having the "Conan the Barbarian" type of character. And if we assume for example in FF7 that Barret is the apex of manliness then there's races/characters in FFXIV that achieve that.
    Go look at the variety of ff1-6 characters. 6, in particular, oozes variety of every type

Barrett is also a perfect example.

And no, you can’t achieve that in ff14.

Everything in ff14 looks like it’s trying to compete in a beauty contest, not save the world

And even when we do save the world... where’s the grime, the dirt, the ugly side of things?

I’m just not a big fan of the overly dainty art style. That’s cool if you or someone else is

I didn’t say no one should enjoy it because I don’t, just that I personally hate the art style

For context, I also hated the art style of wildstar for different reasons. If a games aesthetic is unappealing to you, nothing will change that. It’s subjective

Edit: look at those races you linked. Even the manliest of them look like they hide when a loud noise happens
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-05-19 at 01:44 PM.

You never have to interact with the players in the dungeons. They might aswell be NPC's. The only thing I usually do is say hi and bye at the start and the end of the instance.
    It was many years ago but I was playing on a trial and was about to buy it and hit the main quest line though a dungeon issue, sat in the queue for about 6 hours maybe more and finally uninstalled it *I was credit card out ready to purchase - (I did like the game for the most part and some people I talked to later said it was during an expansion release probably why my queue was so long, but confirmed one of my personal MMO rules that a dungeon should not be a road block in a main quest line, it's ok to be the finish but not a block to all other quests to continue).

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    It was many years ago but I was playing on a trial and was about to buy it and hit the main quest line though a dungeon issue, sat in the queue for about 6 hours maybe more and finally uninstalled it *I was credit card out ready to purchase - (I did like the game for the most part and some people I talked to later said it was during an expansion release probably why my queue was so long, but confirmed one of my personal MMO rules that a dungeon should not be a road block in a main quest line, it's ok to be the finish but not a block to all other quests to continue).
    That sucks. It's weird to run into something like that though. Because through levelling roulette all those dungeons are available for even he highest level players, and they do give tons of bonus so people do use them. Was it maybe very early in the morning?

This is really unfortunate, as while it CAN happen, especially with two of the dungeons as part of the MSQ in ARR (Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium), this is absolutely not normal, depending on when you're playing.

The only way I can think that the 6 hour timer happened is that you were playing during off-peak times, had only one language selected, and were queuing for one of the two dungeons I listed. This is based off my own experience and testimonials from other players who experienced what you did.

Not that my experience is indicative of everyone else's, but I've leveled through ARR 4 times, 3 times on a DPS class and once as a tank. The longest wait times were always on the DPS class and always during off-peak times, with the longest wait being 2 hours in the middle of the workday, while on a DPS class for Praetorium (Castrum was only slightly short). Normally dungeons ranged anywhere from 10-15 minutes, and trials for about the same. Tanks the wait times were significantly shorter.

I know it's no consolation, because when you want to play...that's when you play. And the MSQ is largely a solo experience which makes it seem like you should be able to just get through it whenever you feel like it. Unfortunately the dungeons and trials throw a wrench into that. It is an MMO with aspects that require other players, so if you want to minimize the wait times and such, time your play time and set your party preferences (select more than one language in the party finder) accordingly so egregious wait times like this don't happen.

Not trying to change your opinion (wait times suck), just providing some context for why it may have happened and some information for how it might be avoided from happening again if you or someone else wants to give it a try or power through it.

That sucks. It's weird to run into something like that though. Because through levelling roulette all those dungeons are available for even he highest level players, and they do give tons of bonus so people do use them. Was it maybe very early in the morning?
    it was not really at a odd time, I think I queue up on a Sunday around 5 or 6 eastern but I had people on it's forums and even here at the time I think say there was a major expansion release and that was most likely the cause at the time, even still it just seems a bad design idea to have quest chains blocked by group activities that later on can be kinda abandoned, harder to get new players into it if they hit that kind of road block.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    This is really unfortunate, as while it CAN happen, especially with two of the dungeons as part of the MSQ in ARR (Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium), this is absolutely not normal, depending on when you're playing.

The only way I can think that the 6 hour timer happened is that you were playing during off-peak times, had only one language selected, and were queuing for one of the two dungeons I listed. This is based off my own experience and testimonials from other players who experienced what you did.

Not that my experience is indicative of everyone else's, but I've leveled through ARR 4 times, 3 times on a DPS class and once as a tank. The longest wait times were always on the DPS class and always during off-peak times, with the longest wait being 2 hours in the middle of the workday, while on a DPS class for Praetorium (Castrum was only slightly short). Normally dungeons ranged anywhere from 10-15 minutes, and trials for about the same. Tanks the wait times were significantly shorter.

I know it's no consolation, because when you want to play...that's when you play. And the MSQ is largely a solo experience which makes it seem like you should be able to just get through it whenever you feel like it. Unfortunately the dungeons and trials throw a wrench into that. It is an MMO with aspects that require other players, so if you want to minimize the wait times and such, time your play time and set your party preferences (select more than one language in the party finder) accordingly so egregious wait times like this don't happen.

Not trying to change your opinion (wait times suck), just providing some context for why it may have happened and some information for how it might be avoided from happening again if you or someone else wants to give it a try or power through it.
    see response above

I don't like the race options of the game. There is not a single compelling race to me. In WoW I have 50+ characters, every race and gender represented. In FFXIV I'd basically have 1 character with all the classes (jobs?) and that'd be it. And I don't feel drawn to any of the races enough to start that single character to begin with... GW2 gives me the same issue, but I do enjoy the Charr.

I'm spoiled with race options since there is not a single race in WoW which I do not enjoy playing.

Another thing I noticed was that the movement and spell effects made me feel queezy... No idea wtf that is about as I love the visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    One thing I've noticed that's pretty hilarious is how often the FF14 reddit has threads just shitting on WoW. Like you need to talk shit about your last game to be accepted into the new community. I was reading one this afternoon just filled with completely false information and for the life of me I don't understand why its not ok to like both. It's been some time since I've been to the WoW reddit, but I doubt there is multiple posts a week about how wonderful WoW is over FF14.
    In other words, they're about as fragile in their fandom as the Classic crowd.

I don't get it neither, it's OK to like more than 1 MMORPG. Be that Classic WoW and Live WoW, or GW2, or all of them.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-05-19 at 02:41 PM.

it was not really at a odd time, I think I queue up on a Sunday around 5 or 6 eastern but I had people on it's forums and even here at the time I think say there was a major expansion release and that was most likely the cause at the time, even still it just seems a bad design idea to have quest chains blocked by group activities that later on can be kinda abandoned, harder to get new players into it if they hit that kind of road block.

see response above
    Ah, yeah, that's another time when engagement is low, when most players are working on the new content.

I don't disagree that it's a questionable design decision and that there should be ways for players to get through those things solo if they chose (which they did in Shadowbringers for the Dungeons at least, and will continue to do moving forward, using the Trust system), but there are workarounds. Not great ones, but they're there.

Sorry you had that experience.

They really do need to address the issue of players having to slog through multiple expansions worth of story content to get to the end game, in a way that doesn't require them to buy a story skip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    In other words, they're about as fragile in their fandom as the Classic crowd.

I don't get it neither, it's OK to like more than 1 MMORPG. Be that Classic WoW and Live WoW, or GW2, or all of them.
    There's a small vocal minority like this in every MMO I've ever played, and it's cringe in all of them.

My biggest issue is that for some reason the ff14 gear grind feel more obvious due to its token system. Even though it’s functionally the same in mmo, it feels more like the gear treadmill is more obvious in 14. Not sure why exactly though... not a complaint though just one of the things I think stand out.

I just started the free trial about a week ago and I am currently level 33 warrior / 31 ninja. I am having a good time playing the game but it's hard not to find the gameplay and the story boring. That said, everyone says that reals things start after ARR so I'm not letting that part of the game kill my motivation to play and I intend to reach max level before judging these aspects.

I am however quite annoyed by the overall clunkiness of the game. I play with a latency of 7ms and it feels more like 500ms, mainly because of how inaccurate targeting is and how long animations are. I am also frustrated that I can not engage an enemy while mounted or use an ability on the closest enemy without targeting it. The same goes with the UI with a lot of smalls things like the companies daily craft list closing every time I craft one order, forcing me to click three times to reopen it for each item I make, or the crafting windows letting me see all jobs recipes but not letting me change jobs while it's open and forcing me to close everything, change job and reopen.

In the end, it's a lot of tiny things that are independantly not that bad but that give me the impression that for each two hour session, I lose 15/20 min retargeting, unmounting, reopening windows, etc... It's not gonna stop me from playing the game but coming from WoW, the initial shock due the lack of polish is quite big.

One other aspect that I am not personally a big fan of is the neverending music and the amount of combat visual information. While the music is overall pretty good, I am often annoyed that it is constantly playing. There's never a quiet moment to listen to the ambient sounds, unless I turn it off entirely. All these years after the release and it seems like there's no way to stop the constant loop, except for a macro that turns off it for 60 seconds maximum... The same goes for visual information in combat, with an insane amount of spell effects and floating text. Even with the reduced effects, it still feels way over the top and for a beginner, it is really hard to visually understand what's going on during group content. The floating text doesn't help with every single ability's name being displayed (full length on top of that). Floating text can be disabled but again, like music, it's all or nothing. The apparently volunteer overabundance of sounds, text and effects makes long sessions really exhausting and I am having a hard time imagining spending hours in a raid like I do on WoW.

In the end, I'm well aware that these things are not necessarily issues for everyone and that I might even get used to them with time, but if I keep playing this game for the months/years to come, I sincerely hope to see some QoL improvements.
    Last edited by Loeko; 2021-05-19 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    You know what REALLY chaps my ass about XIV. And I'm gonna yell... WHY THE FUCK IS THIS COMMUNITY SO OBSESSED WITH SHIROGANE STYLE HOMES. Every residential district looks stupid as fuck (except Shirogane) because idiots build the stupid ass shirogane homes. Oh look at our lovely forest and nature themed neighborhood - SHIROGANE CASTLES!!!!!. Ishgard looks so beautiful right now but I know as soon as it opens up it will be wall to wall shirogane style homes and will be trashed. I really wish SE would go back to only allowing Mist style homes in Mist, Lavender Beds style in Lavender Beds, etc, cause shit looks dumb as fuck ever since they opened it up. That's my gripe. Thankyou for listening :P
    It's a fair criticism, but with how housing works, it would also be unfair to limit the aesthetics to those who happened to be lucky enough to get into that specific housing district.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeko View Post
    I just started the free trial about a week ago and I am currently level 33 warrior / 31 ninja. I am having a good time playing the game but it's hard not to find the gameplay and the story boring. That said, everyone says that reals things start after ARR so I'm not letting that part of the game kill my motivation to play and I intend to reach max level before judging these aspects.

I am however quite annoyed by the overall clunkiness of the game. I play with a latency of 7ms and it feels more like 500ms, mainly because of how inaccurate targeting is and how long animations are. I am also frustrated that I can not engage an enemy while mounted or use an ability on the closest enemy without targeting it. The same goes with the UI with a lot of smalls things like the companies daily craft list closing every time I craft one order, forcing me to click three times to reopen it for each item I make, or the crafting windows letting me see all jobs recipes but not letting me change jobs while it's open and forcing me to close everything, change job and reopen.

In the end, it's a lot of tiny things that are independantly not that bad but that give me the impression that for each two hour session, I lose 15/20 min retargeting, unmounting, reopening windows, etc... It's not gonna stop me from playing the game but coming from WoW, the initial shock due the lack of polish is quite big.

One other aspect that I am not personally a big fan of is the neverending music and the amount of combat visual information. While the music is overall pretty good, I am often annoyed that it is constantly playing. There's never a quiet moment to listen to the ambient sounds, unless I turn it off entirely. All these years after the release and it seems like there's no way to stop the constant loop, except for a macro that turns off it for 60 seconds maximum... The same goes for visual information in combat, with an insane amount of spell effects and floating text. Even with the reduced effects, it still feels way over the top and for a beginner, it is really hard to visually understand what's going on during group content. The floating text doesn't help with every single ability's name being displayed (full length on top of that). Floating text can be disabled but again, like music, it's all or nothing. The apparently volunteer overabundance of sounds, text and effects makes long sessions really exhausting and I am having a hard time imagining spending hours in a raid like I do on WoW.

In the end, I'm well aware that these things are not necessarily issues for everyone and that I might even get used to them with time, but if I keep playing this game for the months/years to come, I sincerely hope to see some QoL improvements.
    The effect thing is fun, because yesterday on my ninja i was in the dungeon with the bee guy and my katon was visually blocking the aoe cast from mobs lulz