Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    It is set in the Final Fantasy universe and is therefore extremely unappealing

    Which is a shame as it is apparently decent

  2. #42
    Titan Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    11,412
    The class pruning and as you say homogenization..i miss the old war it just played very differently and imo far better for how my mind works(note this is not about being op my favorite version of the WAR was 2.0 the most underpowered it has been considered to be) i just loved the feeling we used to have of riding the line, holding back until i knew i could unleash hell then quickly "regain control" by swapping back to tank stance. It was exhileratting and just sublime perfecting in my mind

    Though i do like the berserker changes and it does feel better it still feels..off imo from how it did and the whole controlling tge inner beast aspect of it was so well conveyed through gameplay..heh i really miss the old WAR

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I think that your issue is by design. And it's also been why FFXIV has been a success story.

    No one is going to beat WoW at WoW. Nothing that has tried to beat - or even keep up to - WoW has failed, utterly. The thing is... the loot treadmill endgame is all that WoW has. And some people are simply tired of that treadmill. Some people can't even manage to get on it anymore.

    I much prefer the breadth that FFXIV provides than just getting another MMO that tries and fails to beat WoW, and spends the majority of its development resources making content for the audience of a different game.

    I can play for months without killing a single thing and make legitimate progress in other ways, and I find that to be a little wonderful.
    I don't think you're wrong, and I did come to that conclusion a long time ago. I haven't been a month over month subscriber since Heavensward for that reason. I want to be a month over month subscriber very, very badly, but I just get bored before the month is up because enough challenging content isn't there, and there is only so much I can take of varied and alternative non-difficult content.

    I'm thrilled the game is successful too, but I just wish the game would give me a reason to stay subscribed, instead of just at the beginning and end of expansions.

  4. #44
    Legendary! The One Percent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮
    Posts
    6,379
    I don't like how slow the combat feels.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

  5. #45
    The biggest problem I have with FFXIV is that I can only put tabletop items on lofts without glitching. It's a loft, not a table. I should be able to put anything that can go on the main floor of the house/apartment on a loft. :P

  6. #46
    Literally lack of end game kills this game for me. Ultimate raid that suppose to come out last July they end up cancel it and instead putting lots of unnecessary content such as unreal raid (which nothing but recycle content). Lots of potential stuff end up wasted like the open world is like a dead zone unless you do mindless hunt grinding which is useless as well. Last i played was the patch for e8s (Shiva) and with a half decent static cleared it with 3 days a week schedule in 2 weeks time, after that literally nothing to do after we farm it other than afk in house. From what i see in my community discord and my ex static discord, the only thing they do and act as "end game" are just reprogress old ultimate that they already cleared with different job which is imho massive waste of time consider this game cost real money to sub (compare to wow when i can just farm gold for sub)

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli85 View Post
    I don't think you're wrong, and I did come to that conclusion a long time ago. I haven't been a month over month subscriber since Heavensward for that reason. I want to be a month over month subscriber very, very badly, but I just get bored before the month is up because enough challenging content isn't there, and there is only so much I can take of varied and alternative non-difficult content.

    I'm thrilled the game is successful too, but I just wish the game would give me a reason to stay subscribed, instead of just at the beginning and end of expansions.
    I maintain a subscription to both.

    When I started playing around in this genre, I had a surplus of time and very little money. Twenty years later, I have the opposite situation - a surplus of money, but very little free time. WoW does that core gameplay loop that originally hooked me better than anything else, and anything that came before. Unfortunately, that's all they do. Every system implemented is in service of chasing a higher number. Even the geography of the world itself is informed by the needs of the gameplay systems rather than systems being designed to suit the world. They have become so laser-focused on that endgame gameplay loop that they have excluded all else. And unfortunately... I literally cannot organize my time in such a way that I can engage in that loop to my satisfaction. Worse yet is that, with scant drops and more RNG, I will often spend time in game that goes entirely unrewarded. WoW does not respect my time.

    FFXIV does respect my time, however. And unfortunately, this is an outcome of its admittedly meagre endgame. You can focus elsewhere, and indeed, content 'elsewhere" actually exists. Even if FFXIV were to shift around its resources to match WoW... I wouldn't want it to. It would no longer be a game that I could feasibly enjoy. It serves a different audience from WoW. It has its own niche. And that's okay. It doesn't make it a bad game, no more than WoW no longer suiting my changing lifestyle makes WoW a bad game.

    They're different. And that's a good thing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    I don't like how slow the combat feels.
    It can be just as frenetic as WoW in the endgame... unfortunately, you're really hurting for buttons to press in the first 80% of the leveling experience.
    Last edited by draugril; 2021-02-25 at 02:27 PM.

  8. #48
    Its slow and boring
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamax112 View Post
    Literally lack of end game kills this game for me. Ultimate raid that suppose to come out last July they end up cancel it and instead putting lots of unnecessary content such as unreal raid (which nothing but recycle content). Lots of potential stuff end up wasted like the open world is like a dead zone unless you do mindless hunt grinding which is useless as well. Last i played was the patch for e8s (Shiva) and with a half decent static cleared it with 3 days a week schedule in 2 weeks time, after that literally nothing to do after we farm it other than afk in house. From what i see in my community discord and my ex static discord, the only thing they do and act as "end game" are just reprogress old ultimate that they already cleared with different job which is imho massive waste of time consider this game cost real money to sub (compare to wow when i can just farm gold for sub)

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    It can be just as frenetic as WoW in the endgame... unfortunately, you're really hurting to buttons to press in the first 80% of the leveling experience.
    Yeah, it's especially bad if you do a low lvl leveling roulette or help a friend and suddly nothing works anymore. Part of the reason why I loved leveling alt jobs in deep dungeons, at least you quickly get access to a ton of your abilities.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yeah, it's especially bad if you do a low lvl leveling roulette or help a friend and suddly nothing works anymore. Part of the reason why I loved leveling alt jobs in deep dungeons, at least you quickly get access to a ton of your abilities.
    And most of the classes don't "click" until you get some of the level 60/70/80 abilities.

    As much as I love FFXIV, I can fully admit that it makes a really bad first impression for genre veterans.

  12. #52
    A M+ system and better pvp would probably make me put down WoW forever.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post
    It is set in the Final Fantasy universe and is therefore extremely unappealing

    Which is a shame as it is apparently decent
    There isn’t a “Final Fantasy Universe,” bruh.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I wouldn't say "unnecessary." I would say "unfortunately necessary."

    They inherited a ton of garbage, and the jank of their origins shines through all too often. You can see how many workarounds they have, but it is indeed a barrier when you're trying to introduce someone new.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think that your issue is by design. And it's also been why FFXIV has been a success story.

    No one is going to beat WoW at WoW. Nothing that has tried to beat - or even keep up to - WoW has failed, utterly. The thing is... the loot treadmill endgame is all that WoW has. And some people are simply tired of that treadmill. Some people can't even manage to get on it anymore.

    I much prefer the breadth that FFXIV provides than just getting another MMO that tries and fails to beat WoW, and spends the majority of its development resources making content for the audience of a different game.

    I can play for months without killing a single thing and make legitimate progress in other ways, and I find that to be a little wonderful.

    They didn’t inherit anything. ARR is a completely different engine from the original janky piece of shit game. They just decided to make more janky garbage because they have no idea what they’re doing.

  14. #54
    Classes could use some overhauling to be more fun to play
    Patch content could be less procedural
    Main story quest could be more interesting, not just "cinema time"
    world could be designed to feel more alive
    World could have more landmark-ish quality things in it's maps. Usually it's very plain and not much remarkable stuff can be found in the maps

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by letgoit View Post
    They didn’t inherit anything. ARR is a completely different engine from the original janky piece of shit game. They just decided to make more janky garbage because they have no idea what they’re doing.
    Untrue.

    While it does use a different engine, it is still a very similar engine to the original 1.0 to ensure they were compatible with each other because they imported so much of the previous infrastructure. While they corrected many issues (which was the reason they went to a new engine in the first place), they still inherited much of the jank of the original game's infrastructure.

    It wasn't the best solution to their attempt to revive an utter failure of a game, but it was the only one that was feasible. They couldn't start from the ground up, and the playerbase still had certain expectations when it came to the continuity of their characters, the world, and certain systems. Not to mention, they didn't have the time or money to develop an entirely new game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    World could have more landmark-ish quality things in it's maps. Usually it's very plain and not much remarkable stuff can be found in the maps
    Empty spaces are one of the things I appreciate the most in FFXIV zone design (and early WoW design). I cannot stand zones that are just jigsaw puzzles of places of interest. They tear down the walls of immersion so quickly, and just reinforce that they very geography of the world is being informed by the demands of the game systems.

    Empty space exists. Areas of transition exist.
    Last edited by draugril; 2021-02-25 at 02:56 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Untrue.

    While it does use a different engine, it is still a very similar engine to the original 1.0 to ensure they were compatible with each other because they imported so much of the previous infrastructure. While they corrected many issues (which was the reason they went to a new engine in the first place), they still inherited much of the jank of the original game's infrastructure.

    It wasn't the best solution to their attempt to revive an utter failure of a game, but it was the only one that was feasible. They couldn't start from the ground up, and the playerbase still had certain expectations when it came to the continuity of their characters, the world, and certain systems. Not to mention, they didn't have the time or money to develop an entirely new game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Empty spaces are one of the things I appreciate the most in FFXIV zone design (and early WoW design). I cannot stand zones that are just jigsaw puzzles of places of interest. They tear down the walls of immersion so quickly, and just reinforce that they very geography of the world is being informed by the demands of the game systems.

    Empty space exists. Areas of transition exist.
    They chose to keep the jank and the zones are aesthetically terrible.

  17. #57
    It's not challenging even at the highest level. Savage is pretty much a joke, Ultimate while the biggest challenge also falls flat. The content cycle doesn't change and if you keep up with the game, every other patch is useless.

    There's a lot of pointless content, pvp is ass.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    FFXIV is an objectively terrible game. Everything you mentioned is why it's a failure of an MMORPG.

    Kudos to dat boi Yoshi P & his gang of hooligans - they gave it an honest shot. Unfortunately though, they picked up a polished turd.

    The nail in the coffin was the laughably & irrefutably terrible Bozjan Southern Front.

    People asked for a reimagining of Eureka that accurately captured the spirit of it while bringing forth new ideas and instead were served a dull and lifeless zone littered with soulless mobs that serve no other purpose than to chase you for miles before their aggro leash breaks.

    I pray to our father in heaven, Jehovah, that FFXIV is shut down to protect innocent gamers from having their MMORPG experience sullied with a half-baked experience.
    Gameplay is horrid, especially rotations when you know what you're doing

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Untrue.

    While it does use a different engine, it is still a very similar engine to the original 1.0 to ensure they were compatible with each other because they imported so much of the previous infrastructure. While they corrected many issues (which was the reason they went to a new engine in the first place), they still inherited much of the jank of the original game's infrastructure.

    It wasn't the best solution to their attempt to revive an utter failure of a game, but it was the only one that was feasible. They couldn't start from the ground up, and the playerbase still had certain expectations when it came to the continuity of their characters, the world, and certain systems. Not to mention, they didn't have the time or money to develop an entirely new game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Empty spaces are one of the things I appreciate the most in FFXIV zone design (and early WoW design). I cannot stand zones that are just jigsaw puzzles of places of interest. They tear down the walls of immersion so quickly, and just reinforce that they very geography of the world is being informed by the demands of the game systems.

    Empty space exists. Areas of transition exist.
    No, i don't want jigzaw puzzles either. But impressive landmarks which makes you *wooow" when you see them

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by letgoit View Post
    They chose to keep the jank and the zones are aesthetically terrible.
    They effectively did not have a choice. They had to push out an MMO in record time and that meant keeping a lot of code that kinda worked even if it would be problematic down the line. If they had had more time those issues could have been handled, but not doing so was developers in crunch, not uselessness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •