Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ...
41
49
50
51
52
53
61
... LastLast
  1. #1001
    Too anime style for me, cant stand to look at it. Myabe its a fine game, but not for me.

  2. #1002
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    What you call co-op competitive is why I am being pushed away from WoW. The days of working together to take down a powerful boss are gone, and the fan fare to go with it. Now, after a boss is defeated it’s just bullshit whining about their logs.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I dunno, I have many of times said it’s way too weeb for me, including the story, and all I get is normally a “fair enough”.
    Strangely, when I said I didn’t enjoy it’s art style because it’s too feminine, or weeb, or furry... I got called racist, sexist, or prejudice because I said I didn’t enjoy the art style

    I normally like jrpg art and even ff art. The ff7 remake art was wonderful to look at

    But ff14 takes it in way too feminine and dainty of a direction for me

    And saying that got me pages of hate messages on YouTube, this site, and another mmo forum

    Ff14 has great fans but it also has the most Defensive and thin skinned in mmorpg

    I can say I hate retail WoW for xyz, and people won’t care, but heaven forbid I say “I hate the soft feminine art of ff14” without them taking that personally

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Big difference between leading someone to improve and berating them.

    And no, that’s not part of being an adult. Being an adult is about learning to compose yourself in a mature manner.
    I agree, and I meant it in a constructive criticism not a belittling way but the reality is not every gamer is capable of doing high end content

    For example: I knew a sweet player once who was dumb as a brick. Total sweetheart tho, but honest to god didn’t know directions so when it was time to do “raid group move south. Move north” etc... she openly asked which way north was. Which was funny the first time, but 2 weeks into the fight and 50 attempts later she still doesn’t know how to read simple n/s/e/w on a map

    There’s no shame in telling someone (kindly) that they are hitting the bench because they aren’t getting this and it’s one fail too many. Patience is fine but patience also has limits and gamers, no matter who, do have limitations of their skills. Not every player is capable of hard content

  3. #1003
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Strangely, when I said I didn’t enjoy it’s art style because it’s too feminine, or weeb, or furry... I got called racist, sexist, or prejudice because I said I didn’t enjoy the art style

    I normally like jrpg art and even ff art. The ff7 remake art was wonderful to look at

    But ff14 takes it in way too feminine and dainty of a direction for me

    And saying that got me pages of hate messages on YouTube, this site, and another mmo forum

    Ff14 has great fans but it also has the most Defensive and thin skinned in mmorpg

    I can say I hate retail WoW for xyz, and people won’t care, but heaven forbid I say “I hate the soft feminine art of ff14” without them taking that personally

    - - - Updated - - -
    I agree, and I meant it in a constructive criticism not a belittling way but the reality is not every gamer is capable of doing high end content

    For example: I knew a sweet player once who was dumb as a brick. Total sweetheart tho, but honest to god didn’t know directions so when it was time to do “raid group move south. Move north” etc... she openly asked which way north was. Which was funny the first time, but 2 weeks into the fight and 50 attempts later she still doesn’t know how to read simple n/s/e/w on a map

    There’s no shame in telling someone (kindly) that they are hitting the bench because they aren’t getting this and it’s one fail too many. Patience is fine but patience also has limits and gamers, no matter who, do have limitations of their skills. Not every player is capable of hard content
    I'm going to apologize. I over reacted.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-06-11 at 11:29 AM.

  4. #1004
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    I'm going to apologize. I over reacted.
    Apology accepted, forgiven and consider it water under the bridge. We all have bad days, myself included

    I was asked what I dislike about the ff14 and in particular the art style hits my eyes wrong. So did wildstar’s for example

    Now, something I adore about ff14? The music and sound design. The music is so perfectly ff, same for the sound, and my mounts having their own theme music? *chefs kiss* perfection. Every game should emulate their quality of sound design

    I also had way too much fun racing Chocobo’s and wasting time in the casino. I never did hit the weekly numbers tho but that’s ok

    There’s a lot I really do like about ff14, from the sound, to the monster design, to the class animations, housing done properly, etc

  5. #1005
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I agree, and I meant it in a constructive criticism not a belittling way but the reality is not every gamer is capable of doing high end content

    For example: I knew a sweet player once who was dumb as a brick. Total sweetheart tho, but honest to god didn’t know directions so when it was time to do “raid group move south. Move north” etc... she openly asked which way north was. Which was funny the first time, but 2 weeks into the fight and 50 attempts later she still doesn’t know how to read simple n/s/e/w on a map

    There’s no shame in telling someone (kindly) that they are hitting the bench because they aren’t getting this and it’s one fail too many. Patience is fine but patience also has limits and gamers, no matter who, do have limitations of their skills. Not every player is capable of hard content
    That's fine. Too often when people say "constructive criticism", they're referring to berating people. I appreciate if someone is a nice person. On the same token, if someone just isn't cutting the mustard, vote/kicking or benching (if in your premade) is what needs to be done. Some experienced guilds, clans, FC, etc will even have an agreement that you'll read before joining which will tell you that you're on a trial basis and expected to reach a certain point in X amount of time. I always recommend this to take out the possibility of cherry picking and ruining your reputation.

  6. #1006
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    That's fine. Too often when people say "constructive criticism", they're referring to berating people. I appreciate if someone is a nice person. On the same token, if someone just isn't cutting the mustard, vote/kicking or benching (if in your premade) is what needs to be done. Some experienced guilds, clans, FC, etc will even have an agreement that you'll read before joining which will tell you that you're on a trial basis and expected to reach a certain point in X amount of time. I always recommend this to take out the possibility of cherry picking and ruining your reputation.
    I have never belittled anyone over a game, i'm captain encouragement if anything. I'd much rather build someone up than hurt someone's feelings.

    that said, if someone is repeatedly failing a fight and your guild can't kill mythic boss cuz 1-2 players continuously screw up a simple mechanic for weeks on end... how long do you just ignore that?

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with politely telling someone "Look, you've died to this mechanic way too many times. we've explained it, we've been patient, and your DPS is half of what the other DPS is. Sorry my dude but you've gotta hit the bench until further notice". I understand people don't like to be benched, but the reality is not everyone is capable of doing every bit of content.

    There's a difference between challenging oneself, and handicapping a group. At a certain point, the group is going to demand change and ask the questions that management should have asked and see above paragraph about benching someone.

    Some people take that really personally tho, no matter how kind you act about it. That's what i meant about constructive criticism and being able to take it. A lot of the younger generation can't mentally handle the idea that they aren't the center of the gaming universe and lash out if they are benched

  7. #1007
    Maybe this has changed (as I haven't played in many years) but the game felt disjointed. Like I was a pilot rather than my character. Input commands, wait a bit for the ship to execute. The delay made my brain hurt.
    Last edited by Darkimpact; 2021-06-11 at 12:03 PM.

  8. #1008
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I have never belittled anyone over a game, i'm captain encouragement if anything. I'd much rather build someone up than hurt someone's feelings.

    that said, if someone is repeatedly failing a fight and your guild can't kill mythic boss cuz 1-2 players continuously screw up a simple mechanic for weeks on end... how long do you just ignore that?
    Your guild should define that stuff ahead of time. You can set any entrance requirements you want.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with politely telling someone "Look, you've died to this mechanic way too many times. we've explained it, we've been patient, and your DPS is half of what the other DPS is. Sorry my dude but you've gotta hit the bench until further notice". I understand people don't like to be benched, but the reality is not everyone is capable of doing every bit of content.
    You're right, there isn't. In a guild setting, that's exactly what I would say. I know some here are referring to random groups, which it's best to just kick. Being random, you waste time trying to explain why you're kicking.

    There's a difference between challenging oneself, and handicapping a group. At a certain point, the group is going to demand change and ask the questions that management should have asked and see above paragraph about benching someone.
    Again, I agree with you.

    Some people take that really personally tho, no matter how kind you act about it. That's what i meant about constructive criticism and being able to take it. A lot of the younger generation can't mentally handle the idea that they aren't the center of the gaming universe and lash out if they are benched
    That's why I have personal beefs with the newer generation (last decade) of gamers. If benching isn't enough, kicking out of the guild may be necessary. I've had to do it myself. Sometimes, group content isn't for everyone.

  9. #1009
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Except you're not even remotely right. Nobody is going to get on your case for how you play the game. Nobody is going to report you unless you're being a jerk in chat. Since you are claiming people report others for "playing their character the very best they can" shows that you probably got suspended for harassing people about their performance and used DPS meters to shame people. Like people do constantly in WoW.

    As Katchii said, thank you for no longer playing FFXIV
    See, the funny thing is, people were getting on my case in FFXIV for 'not playing right'. They really don't like you not DPSing when you're a healer. I got yelled at for this even though the reason for not doing much DPS was that the actual DPS kept standing in stuff, so I had to actually heal.

  10. #1010
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Strangely, when I said I didn’t enjoy it’s art style because it’s too feminine, or weeb, or furry... I got called racist, sexist, or prejudice because I said I didn’t enjoy the art style
    Well, "weeb" really is a bit of an...insult? I don't want to go so far as calling it a slur, but it's not exactly nice either.

    "Feminine" is a strange criticism, too. There's no shortage of "masculine" characters and options if that's what you're after. I'm not even entirely sure what this means, to be honest.

  11. #1011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, "weeb" really is a bit of an...insult? I don't want to go so far as calling it a slur, but it's not exactly nice either.

    "Feminine" is a strange criticism, too. There's no shortage of "masculine" characters and options if that's what you're after. I'm not even entirely sure what this means, to be honest.
    Even the most “masculine” of characters looks like they just spent time at the spa and beauty salon. It is far more feminine of an art style than any other FF game.

    Notice the new race is literally a male bunny man wearing women’s clothing in the trailer for it. Nuff said

    Ff14 isn’t the only game who’s art is a detriment, I felt the same way about wildstar for example

    And it isn’t just me, scroll all the pages of this thread and it may surprise you to see the art is the #1 reason listed for people why not ff14

    Art is subjective tho, you may love what I hate and vice versa and that’s ok. The monster art looks great but the character models all crawled out of one of my daughters Disney channel shows

  12. #1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I’d have a much easier time getting into it if they simply updated the engine to dx12 and fixed the horrible AA.

    Hopefully Endwalker, but seems like something they would of announced that at fan fest if it’s being done.

    Though I’ve heard they don’t really announce all the stuff in new expos til a month or so before they release new expos.
    Maybe we're just totally different people but I can't fathom not getting into a game because of the graphics not having good AA or anything like that.

  13. #1013
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Even the most “masculine” of characters looks like they just spent time at the spa and beauty salon. It is far more feminine of an art style than any other FF game.
    While i agree to some extent what is wrong with mens caring about theyr look?

    In FF, at least from 7 onwards we get male protagonist which fall into those categories. Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Noctis are all boysband lookalike. I would say that FF14 fits right in, hell you can at least make your character with a beard, which is like, unheard off.

  14. #1014
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, "weeb" really is a bit of an...insult? I don't want to go so far as calling it a slur, but it's not exactly nice either.

    "Feminine" is a strange criticism, too. There's no shortage of "masculine" characters and options if that's what you're after. I'm not even entirely sure what this means, to be honest.
    Tbf, FF14 doesn’t have anything purely masculine for character creation at least. You have the human high lander one, I think it’s that anyway, but it’s not
    dirt to the earth masculine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    While i agree to some extent what is wrong with mens caring about theyr look?

    In FF, at least from 7 onwards we get male protagonist which fall into those categories. Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Noctis are all boysband lookalike. I would say that FF14 fits right in, hell you can at least make your character with a beard, which is like, unheard off.
    The beard is the worst thing possible. Sadly I have it, not because the beard is good, but because it covers most of the face.

    Again, I don’t like weeb art style, it’s not style. I tend to not like anything with an Asian art style background when it comes to games. Hell, even the new RE game is too much for me just because like a lot of Asian games, it’s very OTT. I get over it a lot if the game is good, like FF14.
    Last edited by Soikona; 2021-06-11 at 01:02 PM.

  15. #1015
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Tbf, FF14 doesn’t have anything purely masculine for character creation at least. You have the human high lander one, I think it’s that anyway, but it’s not
    dirt to the earth masculine.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The beard is the worst thing possible. Sadly I have it, not because the beard is good, but because it covers most of the face.
    Well it is an option. The worst feature of male highlanders is the complete lack of brow :P

    I would say that Hrothgars are pretty manly.

    EDIT: What is a weeb art style?
    Last edited by Aliven; 2021-06-11 at 01:04 PM.

  16. #1016
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Well it is an option. The worst feature of male highlanders is the complete lack of brow :P

    I would say that Hrothgars are pretty manly.
    Maybe, I only ever play humans :-P cat people are not my thing. Except for GW2. The charr are just badass.

  17. #1017
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    While i agree to some extent what is wrong with mens caring about theyr look?

    In FF, at least from 7 onwards we get male protagonist which fall into those categories. Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Noctis are all boysband lookalike. I would say that FF14 fits right in, hell you can at least make your character with a beard, which is like, unheard off.
    I’m not trying to look like a metrosexual fashion model wearing an adventurers summer brand of clothes or whatever.

    Ff7 has a little boy band look, but it also has plenty of standard looks like Barrett

    Even the boy band ff15 had standard looking characters other than 1-3 characters.

    Ff14 takes it off the rails tho imo in a feminine and dainty art style. Way more so than any other ff game

    That’s great to those who like it, and it is a selling point to some... but for me? I can’t stand it. Couldn’t stand wildstar either for the same Disney channel look

    I prefer a darker aesthetic, like eso

  18. #1018
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I’m not trying to look like a metrosexual fashion model wearing an adventurers summer brand of clothes or whatever.

    Ff7 has a little boy band look, but it also has plenty of standard looks like Barrett

    Even the boy band ff15 had standard looking characters other than 1-3 characters.

    Ff14 takes it off the rails tho imo in a feminine and dainty art style. Way more so than any other ff game

    That’s great to those who like it, and it is a selling point to some... but for me? I can’t stand it. Couldn’t stand wildstar either for the same Disney channel look

    I prefer a darker aesthetic, like eso
    For me the every single one of protagonists in FF series looks the same. Young, slender, no facial hair boy. And it is every single one. So FF14 is standard in that regard.

    Maybe im just tired of trope of grim badass who is tortured soul or something :P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Maybe, I only ever play humans :-P cat people are not my thing. Except for GW2. The charr are just badass.
    Charrs are best race ever created IMO.

  19. #1019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    First off, did the person making a mistake that many times get directions or were they just expected to know what they were doing? If instead of saying to the person after they mess up 2 times "Hey do you know the mechanics?" you just wait until they mess up 5 times then kick them? That's toxic as fuck. Whether it's a learning group or not. It's about not being a jerk to people. It takes two seconds to ask someone if they know the fight. If they say yes and screw up in the same way AGAIN? Then you kick them because they are absolutely a liar and disrespectful of everyone's time.
    I can't tell if there's a language barrier or if you're deliberately not answering my questions/reading my posts?

    So I'll ask again, how long have you been playing, what level are you and what is your main?

    As for the second point about the community, I don't believe you actually play WoW if you're saying that in earnest. The official forums are filled with elitists. These forums are full of them. In game chats are full of them. I have NEVER come across a raider who didn't belittle people every chance they got. For fuck's sake, people will shame you for your dps IN LEVELING DUNGEONS IN WOW. There is no community I have personally come across that is more toxic than WoW.
    I'm a raider, my friends are raiders, I have successfully pugged Mythic raids, Mythic + all without seeing people belittle people, and NO ONE has belittled me.

    As for your 24 man story, I really REALLY don't believe you. I've seen situations like that where someone gets called out for being afk and then when they do it again, nobody says anything. They just boot the person. If someone called you out for being afk in chat, nobody is going to mention damage meters because damage meters weren't posted. And guess what? The people accusing the people of damage meters should have been reported because they were harassing a player that didn't even post meters.
    I have absolutely no reason to lie. I'm sorry my experiences don't support your agenda.

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    There's a pretty big difference between a dungeon boss and E12 though.
    Eh, honestly not really. As a PLD they're both pretty soloable as well as a lot of past expansion trials/raids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    And no, that’s not part of being an adult. Being an adult is about learning to compose yourself in a mature manner.
    Actually**** "Being an adult is about learning to compose yourself in a mature manner after a failure/challenge." Anyone can do it easily when things are easy, it's when it's hard that we see who the adult is and isn't.

  20. #1020
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    From psychologicall standpoint the best way to influence people in games is not to talk to them but lead by example, be patient for their mistakes and provide feedback WHEN ASKED for it.
    So if i play with someone who plays obviously horrible. Doing nearly non existend dmg (which of course i don't know because who uses a dmg meter in FF14) and dying/failing left and right and still think he is godsend.... i just have to accept that, wipe on and have to wait until he suddenly recognizes that maybe he is not thaaaat good of a player as he thinks?
    How is he supposed to now? There are no indicators for him anywhere that he is doing anything wrong in the first place. If i am bad at something i hope people tell me. Because if i don't change i obviously am not aware that i am doing anything wrong.
    If i don't care i also won't care people telling me that.

    How low of a selfesteem does someone need to have to be actully offended for someone trying to give tips or help in getting better?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •