Page 56 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Literally all dungeons past ARR are focused on speed. Players whined about dungeons having side paths and not being completely linear, so they made dungeons that are a straight shot all the way through, and after a few attempts here and there they settled on a trash-trash-boss-trash-trash-boss-trash-trash-boss layout. Some dungeons will have individual big boy adds that arrive in between or during the first or second trash pull, but it's generally two pulls between each boss.
    I was referring to the player mentality. People expect a lot of sprouts or new tanks in Sastasha, by the time you get to the expert roulette its time to get moving and stay moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Like I said though, I've seen people start in before there was anything to take responsibility for.

Hell, I personally have been votekicked in WoW for wearing PvP gear in a 5-man, despite it being a quality gear option in that slot at the time. I've been removed from a Bastion of Twilight normal mode pug despite wearing Dragonslayer title and having realm first Sinestra because the raid leader "Didn't want to carry scrubs." (I was wearing off-spec gear at the time I took the raid invite.)
    1) Depending on the expansion, PVP gear in PVE content was a pretty standard kick. I know I was kicked a few times in WotLK when I would go into BGs in full raid gear, and despite being top damage done by a staggering margin (shadowmourne, full 25h tier, tiny abom) because while I globaled poorly geared players I was dead weight against the geared PVP teams and I held us back. IME this isn't a thing in modern expansions since the gear is easily interchangeable.

2) We BOTH know that the raid leader did you a favor.

I've seen someone else removed from a raid because they had a mastery gem instead of haste gem in their bracer. One gem that wasn't optimal, in a normal mode raid. I saw my wife harassed for literally days by someone because she "let them die" in Magisters Terrace once.
    I've actually never seen anyone removed for having a sub optimal gem. I've seen people removed for showing up unprepared (no enchants or gems across all gear), or people removed for using WACKY talents back in the day (but this is significantly less common now).

No excuse for your wife being harassed. That's not OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Oh, I can absolutely understand someone feeling this way and maybe even it being some kind of fun for them. But, if that's what a person finds to be fun in an MMO then WoW is absolutely the game for them! It's practically tailored to favor the min/max gogogo "git gud" mentality. From all my playing of FFXIV, this is not the game for that kind of personality.

Which is why I'm playing FFXIV rather than WoW
    Who said anything about min/max gogogo "git gud"? I was very clear when I defined a not fun dungeon run. Having players make your dungeon run take agonizingly long (what should be 12 minutes with a good group, 16 minutes with an average group, and 20 mins with a bad group took 40 minutes). That's 3x longer than what it should take. That's not min/max gogogo "git gud" mentality, that's please just push buttons and stop trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That's fair. But at the same time, based on discussions that have been had with you included, you get far less triggered over it than some of the posters here. Or at least, if you do, you temper your reactions better than most.
    That's because I'm not a clown lol. I get frustrated like anyone else, but most of the time it's just comedy. The only times I get riled up is when people spread misinformation or people who are incapable of having intelligent discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I tank regularly. "wall to wall" pulling is not always expected at all. Even when I'm going slowly, I'm never ever told to speed up. And as I said, I have a level 74 paladin.
    You've tanked less than 50 dungeons at this point I'd bet (you can check your achievements to confirm, feel free to post a screenshot of the achievement) and haven't even reached max level. I've tanked well over 20x that and I'm easily one of the most casual players in this forum (casual is a measure of time investment, not skill).

It's VERY hard to "wall to wall pull" as a tank in a lot of leveling dungeons and it's not the actual standard. Experienced, geared and synced tanks can do it, but I would not expect it from a new player.

This actually confirms my point I made in a prior post. Wait until you hit max level and see if your experience still stays the same. FF14 community is VERY respectful and great while you're new and learning and leveling. Easily one of the BEST MMO experiences out there. Once you're max level though, you will run into situations where more is expected of you and there may be some friction if you get unnecessarily defensive like you've done here you might be surprised it's not all rainbows and butterflies.

I would strongly urge you to leave your hate at the door though and look inward at your own anger. From your previous posts it's clear you had a rough time in WoW because every time you talk about it you're practically frothing at the mouth rabidly and I think you're better than that.

I genuinely hope you enjoy your time in FF14.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I usually only tank 2-3 mobs. Maybe 4. I main Ninja so I know how much it sucks when the tank runs away from Doton, runs till your hyoton runs out and generally asks you to fight a dozen mobs with overlapping AoE markers, with a lmited AoE toolkit. Whenever I tank to level alt jobs, I always tank like I want my tanks to do it. Granted I always tell them to ask me to pull more if they want to, but they never do. Maybe I'm just lucky, dunno. I play on EU datacenter, if that helps.
    Why you dropping Doton before all the mobs are gathered up though lol? I also make sure I get my mobs in any AOEs, but I'm not stopping my gathering if you dropped your Doton on the first pack LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I dunno. I'm part of an FFXIV discord and asked if people are ever urged to rush through dungeons and pretty much everyone said no. Sounds like you've just gotten into crappy groups.
    What discord is this? Mind sharing? I don't want/need a link to it, just what's the context of it? It's definitely not The Balance. Is it like your FC's discord? an RP discord?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I was referring to the player mentality. People expect a lot of sprouts or new tanks in Sastasha, by the time you get to the expert roulette its time to get moving and stay moving.
    Bingo.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    1)

Why you dropping Doton before all the mobs are gathered up though lol? I also make sure I get my mobs in any AOEs, but I'm not stopping my gathering if you dropped your Doton on the first pack LOL.
    I never said when I drop Doton. That's just you making assumptions and invalidating your opinion on player toxicity. I merely listed my grievances against tanks in no particular order. It doesn't matter if there are two mobs or two dozen. 9 out of 10 tanks run away from Doton, and I'm not even the only one to suffer from this. Thanks have an innate talent to make it useless. It's not related to pull size, but it is still something that irritates me as a DPS and what I try to pay attention to when I tank.
    Last edited by Wangming; 2021-06-13 at 06:11 PM.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm producing a series where I both appreciate and critique XIV from a WoW player's perspective. But as for problems, just hit 80 with the first and only job I want to level (PLD) and I feel really unhappy that the gameplay sums up to "I'm a DPSer who has the aggro." I don't 'feel' like a tank like I do in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    If only... when I tried tanking on marauder (dps main) I got one of the very early ones, tam-tara I think, and the healer ran ahead to pull everything so I frantically tried to gather the mobs and stopped to tank the bunch, then died because he went ahead and didn't heal and proceeded to act condescending along the lines of "I can't heal through walls". I didn't try again for a while after that... now when I recently picked it up again I've made sure to just keep pulling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    I'm producing a series where I both appreciate and critique XIV from a WoW player's perspective. But as for problems, just hit 80 with the first and only job I want to level (PLD) and I feel really unhappy that the gameplay sums up to "I'm a DPSer who has the aggro." I don't 'feel' like a tank like I do in WoW.
    Don't want to be rude, but if that is literally all you do I'm surprised you got to 80. Healers probably cursed your entire family if you didn't manage your defensive cooldowns or never had tank stance on. Sure, you don't have tank rotation anymore that is used to build up aggro even more, but defensive cooldowns and threat management are important if you don't want your groups to hate you.

What do you feel is missing that WoW has that makes you feel more like a tank?

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    And there's scarring and options for dirty faces or bruises in XIV. So what're you on about?
    I don't know, I haven't tried FF14 in years and literally can't download the game to check these things. Was really hoping people would have commented on my first post more... Oh and Echo was the one that said that if you wanted "battle hardened" options to look elsewhere if that means anything.
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2021-06-13 at 06:43 PM.

Don't want to be rude, but if that is literally all you do I'm surprised you got to 80.
    Game's piss easy outside of Ex/Savage/Ultimate. Which is a shame.

My brother managed to get DNC to 80 without noticing that you should Cascade->Fountain (AKA the basic 1-2 combo).

Having one decent player is enough to carry a bunch of retards on dungeons as long as the tank isn't chain pulling, and having one decent player amongst the tanks/healers is enough for almost all normal trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post

My brother managed to get DNC to 80 without noticing that you should Cascade->Fountain (AKA the basic 1-2 combo).

Having one decent player is enough to carry a bunch of retards on dungeons as long as the tank isn't chain pulling, and having one decent player amongst the tanks/healers is enough for almost all normal trials.
    Tbh I wiped more in FF14 "leveling" content ie the stuff required for MSQ then i done in any wow non mythic dungeons since i came back to expansion log in legion. It took my group 4 tries to kill 8man titan on my latest character running through ARR MSQ, if you wiped 4 times at the same boss in a wow dungeon the group would have already been disbanded by rage quits lol.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post

Ugh. Glad I wasn't in his groups. But in his defense DNC throws you a complete 60 job at you to figure out. And he was only dumb for 20 levels.

If it's the same error I'd been getting when trying to DL the game (and it sounds like it is) the way I got around it was by changing my DNS settings. Here is a guide on how to do it: https://imgur.com/a/0wGCdtJ
    Sorry to say it didn't work. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    minotaurs, and werewolves hardly count as furries.

I'll give you the panda point tho, but a lot of people don't like panda's in game either.
    LMFAO minotaurs and werewolves are ABSOLUTELY furry bait. Are you kidding me with this?

sorry about that, wish it could have helped you. It did take me two tries after changing the DNS to get it to work.

I don't know what error code you're getting, so all I can suggest is a Google search with that specific error code in the search terms. That's how I found a solution that worked for me. But you may have to go the VPN route to at least download it. It should be playable without the VPN afterwards, though, I'm guessing.
    Unable to download patch files [30413][25008][20495][20495]
    So yeah pretty much the "Use a VPN" error. Again seems kind of nuts I'd have to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't want to be rude, but if that is literally all you do I'm surprised you got to 80. Healers probably cursed your entire family if you didn't manage your defensive cooldowns or never had tank stance on. Sure, you don't have tank rotation anymore that is used to build up aggro even more, but defensive cooldowns and threat management are important if you don't want your groups to hate you.
    Rude. lol
    I managed just fine really, defensive cds and all. Learned very early that your 'tank stance' is set to off when entering a trial, and was asked once to do wall to wall pulls but I didn't feel comfortable due to lack of kit/experience. No protest afterwards and I appreciated that.
    But I can only conclude based on my limited experience; I just don't 'feel' like a tank the way I do in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    What do you feel is missing that WoW has that makes you feel more like a tank?
    At the moment, active mitigation and a feel of agency over how I tank within my job - I think that's more fundamental since there're no talents or special gear I know of that would make me feel different, or change the mold.
    In WoW my avenger's shield mitigates damage, generates resources and multitaps at range. Going deeper I can tweak my character to be singularly more defensive, or provide more single/group raid healing, multiple buttons to save friends and need to maintain uptime to reduce melee damage.
    In XIV I find the role very rigid. I don't have to spec for single target or aoe, just need to switch up the rotation, no complaints there. But I'm very NOT fond of having to follow a rotation. Off the top of my head my rotation is uh...
    1222234567458999458999-repeat
    And that's fine too. I don't think there's anything WRONG with that at all. I just find that really dull.

-2.5 feels bad. i know, i know, off-gcd spell weaving bla bla... those off gcd spells are too few and on a long CD.
    -character models feel stiff and lifeless.
    -no mounts in cities ... why?
    -invisible walls everywhere.
    -no real pvp
    -MSQ was torture to finish
    -no Add-on support (I heard dps meters were ToS? correct me if I'm wrong)

still leveled to max cuz Red Mage is a dope ass job though

At the moment, active mitigation and a feel of agency over how I tank within my job - I think that's more fundamental since there're no talents or special gear I know of that would make me feel different, or change the mold.
    In WoW my avenger's shield mitigates damage, generates resources and multitaps at range. Going deeper I can tweak my character to be singularly more defensive, or provide more single/group raid healing, multiple buttons to save friends and need to maintain uptime to reduce melee damage.
    In XIV I find the role very rigid. I don't have to spec for single target or aoe, just need to switch up the rotation, no complaints there. But I'm very NOT fond of having to follow a rotation. Off the top of my head my rotation is uh...
    1222234567458999458999-repeat
    And that's fine too. I don't think there's anything WRONG with that at all. I just find that really dull.
    I don't know how PLD does it but WAR definitely works like that. You have active mitigation on ogcd abilities and gcd abilities that heal you, not just do damage. I can't remember the name of the ability off the top of my head but it mitigates damage, generates resources just not at range.
    On the surface a lot of the tanks can look similar but they're all very different and it sounds like you are expecting a FFXIV paladin to work the same as a WoW paladin when one of the other tanks may be a closer match. You'll never find anything that is exactly the same but that wouldn't be a reasonable expectation.

As for the rigidity that has a lot to do with the balance of the game. The reason that FFXIV can have a 10% difference between the worst spec and the best spec is that there aren't a bunch of knobs that makes the game unbalancable. A sacrifice sure but depending on who you ask a welcome one

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how PLD does it but WAR definitely works like that. You have active mitigation on ogcd abilities and gcd abilities that heal you, not just do damage. I can't remember the name of the ability off the top of my head but it mitigates damage, generates resources just not at range.
    On the surface a lot of the tanks can look similar but they're all very different and it sounds like you are expecting a FFXIV paladin to work the same as a WoW paladin when one of the other tanks may be a closer match. You'll never find anything that is exactly the same but that wouldn't be a reasonable expectation.

As for the rigidity that has a lot to do with the balance of the game. The reason that FFXIV can have a 10% difference between the worst spec and the best spec is that there aren't a bunch of knobs that makes the game unbalancable. A sacrifice sure but depending on who you ask a welcome one
    I didn't expect PLD to play the same as a Pally; I'd be just as disappointed if they were basically the same haha.
    But I don't feel nearly the same feedback tanking as a PLD, buttons don't feel impactful because it's all part of a flow. The FLOW feels impactful, but that's not what I really want to get out of tanking.*
    But sometimes I press the crusader strike button to proc an avenger's shield that gets me enough holy power to pop a heal on a party member close to death. THAT feels freaking awesome. PLD has that too, but the tanking kit is severely lacking. At 80 I got a big dps button. Big freaking whoop.
    And when I mean rigid I'm talking about rotation. After doing the rotation thing before in WoW, then after the design shift and XIV, I prefer pressing buttons on priority, based on the conditions, the encounter, the incoming thing, adds spawning, etc.* I don't get that thrill at the slightest. And I couldn't care less about balance as a tank, Pallies have never really been the meta. I want to dive in, do tank things and feel cool doing it. It just hasn't happened yet. Too busy playing bullet hell with the floor.

*I need to tank more stuff to have a more complete opinion, but these are definitely my impressions as I get into endgame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh. Glad I wasn't in his groups. But in his defense DNC throws you a complete 60 job at you to figure out. And he was only dumb for 20 levels.
    Classes aren't super complex, just read your damn tooltips. Or just google for a class guide, since Square-Enix's stance is that players should have to ask other players how to play the game (but you aren't allowed to tell others how to play, that's a ToS violation.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So yeah pretty much the "Use a VPN" error. Again seems kind of nuts I'd have to do this.
    Just Square-Enix things. Yoshi-P works so hard on this game, he remade the game for us, he's definitely not treated as a Christ-like figure by the players, please understand.

I've never, ever heard of *needing* a VPN to even be able to connect to and play a multimillion dollar online game before. But it's definitely a thing with XIV. Sometimes the only way you can play is by using a VPN to fix... whatever the hell is wrong with their garbage servers. You'd think they'd invest some of the money they're making into improving their servers, but I guess it doesn't make sense to do that when you can instead create a bonfire with that money and throw the Marvel IP license into it.

It's not really active mitigation. Fights are *rigidly* scripted and you will hit one (sometimes more than one) of your "take less damage" buttons at that time.

These buttons do not cost any resources, there's no thought going into their use. You just hit them at the correct times and continue on your way. It's not like you're spending 60 Rage to boost your defenses with Shield Block instead of spending that 60 Rage on damage skills or something.

Honestly, XIV has probably the worst tank and healer design I've seen of any of the handful of MMOs I've played. Supposedly DPS classes are fun to play, but I'm not a fan of needing a fucking tea tray to play a game, so I stuck to the "fewer buttons" classes. My level 34 Warrior in TBCC is more dynamic than my level 80 BiS Warrior in XIV, which is absurd.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    It took my group 4 tries to kill 8man titan on my latest character running through ARR MSQ, if you wiped 4 times at the same boss in a wow dungeon the group would have already been disbanded by rage quits lol.
    Boss with platforms without guard rails are truly the worst murderers. Like elevators in wow.